Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Joey Kramer Disses Charlie and The Stones
Date: March 3, 2017 17:02

mr_dja
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
i don't count bands like the heartbreakers, the e street band and the silver bullet band because they are just backing bands for other artists. they don't rely on being successful as actual bands

Agreed.

I think it depends on the consistency of the members of the backing band as well. I the same guys make up the band on album and live, to me, that makes it "a band". Therefore, because Seger used studio musicians for the majority of his album work, even though the live line-up stayed pretty consistent for years, Silver Bullet was basically "a backing band".

On the other hand: bands like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Huey Lewis and the News were the same guys on record as they were live for years and years. I think TP&HBs had to replace their bass player after the first few albums and HLN lost their bass player after ~15 years and also now has a new guitarist as well (still four originals). In my mind, those are bands as opposed to artists with backing musicians.

Springsteen & E Street Band is a tough one to call as they were pretty consistent regarding membership in and out of studio. I think the fact that Bruce also has a clear solo career and is clearly "The Boss" of E Street, I'd lean towards artist with backing band although I wouldn't argue with anyone who claimed they are a band with a leader.

An interesting topic though. If we weren't in the middle of a thread in desperate need of hijacking, I'd contemplate starting a thread along the lines of: "Band or Artist? Who is what?"

Peace,
Mr DJA

I hear you, my friend, and I don't disagree with this. However, there is also the aspect of how the band is presented to the public. Do people know who the Heartbreakers or The News are? Or are they just a backdrop to the frontman?

I'm not concluding here, but I'm leaning towards thinking this was done for a reason..

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 3, 2017 20:44

as for the Heartbreakers yes. i don't expect every Petty fan to necessarily know but a lot of people do know aobut original bassist Ron leaving the group when he was a mess, Howie Epstein coming in, and who Howie was and who HE worked with and then legendary days as a Heartbreaker before a death by misadventure and years later a sober Ron Blair comes back to the group. Stan Lynch on drums absolutely a major part of their whole sound, including all those excellent harmnies that shadowed and complemented Tom on the biggest breakthrough hits and onward from there...and then HIM leaving; i don't know all the skinny but these personalities are pretty well known in Los Angeles & New York & New England and a lot of other places in the U.S. and a lot of international fans too. Certainly Florida too. Benmont Tench on piano has recorded with The Rolling Stones! and Ringo and The Ramones and Neil Diamond, Jayhawks, Warren Zevon, Waylong Jennings, Bonnie Raitt and probably dozens of others...i think that classic Lone Justice album too; he's pretty amazing. bob dylan too...whole tours in a ferocious classic period. mike campbell pretty darn well known as well fair to say. I've even seen Ben sit in very casually at the smallest clubs even restauraunts if an act was interesting....anyway a lot of people know these guys...maybe it doesn't really matter in terms of your main point, because Max and Steve and Roy even Gary from E Street all have big huge diverse resumes as players and producers too...
...i'm just inspired to say a lot of folks and fans do know about some of these players...i'm not saying your point about their general viability necessarily is that essential to the famous people they are fronting; but in some huge cases maybe need reconsideration. That pic of Bruce kissin Clarence on the cover and promo art for Born To Run was an essential part of his real emergence as a big seller and what would be a huge presecence in rock music. And they are mostly still together all these many decades later too...fans know i think a lot of the general public knows too...
but stan never returned to Tom and Howie's gone, i remember seeing Howie with John Hiatt at the smallest clubs and he was amazing...a lot of peeps know...a lot...oh Benmont Tench has recorded with Dylan too...these are not faceless cats like Bob Segers boys...or a lot of other guys you might be generally and legitimately tagging for being more utilitarian and generally undistinguished but good musicians who were working for cats that were real big for periods of years...
...i was attempting to get at this angle with my previous post in this thread concerning TCB band...then realized that a lot of more modern fans wouldn't be able to relate to other than a specific subset of rock during a period far from it[s origin, genesis and initial impact. tho the artists they worship usually come directly from being totally inspired by these artists and base everything they write do or perform from that platform. Anyway most of those first generations of fans are long gone now; very many of the second wave have tanked for the most part or entirely...3rd generation bands like aerosmith and etc...are getting old and up there and just about done, sometimes mercifully, the ones who are left...so we're digging for the toys in the attic literally as well as figureatively (sp?) and when I listen to great great music, it is often, or about 90% of the time, stuff recorded decades ago, or artists from decades ago still working and making interesting records, and there are just a very very few. I'm listening to a lot of inner city core hard rap these days actually; which I haven't done since Straight Outta Compton was new. and yes those guys should be in the rock and roll of fame.

I got to play on a couple of records with the Rolling Stones, and that was really special to me. Benmont Tench

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 22:21 by hopkins.

Date: March 4, 2017 00:03

Winning Ugly VXII
Maybe you could say that about the E-Street Band. Not the case for the Heartbreakers. Guitar,bass,and drums are all integral to their music regardless of the name of the band being "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers".

I saw them twice and saw the Stones 15 times and while the Stones are better,I was very impressed by both bands.

The two Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers set lists were too similar. They don't have the huge catalog of quality material that the Stones have but they have around 40 or 50 high caliber songs.

i don't disagree with that but i can't go see just the heartbreakers or the e street band live or go buy an album by them when they aren't backing up bruce or tom petty or any other band like that. thats kind of the point being made. they may be great but they aren't a standalone entity

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 4, 2017 00:51

So is the Jimi Hendrix Experience a group or Jimi with 2 backing musicians?

How about Santana or even the Dave Clarke 5?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2017 01:01

2000 LYFH

And what about Herman's Hermits!
There's nobody in that band named Herman - who the heck is Herman?
Are they a band fronted by an imaginary leader?

Date: March 4, 2017 01:12

2000 LYFH

hendrix experience is a group. santana has his career broken down into solo and band stuff and its hard to keep track of what is what

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 4, 2017 01:51

Did someone mention the Heartbreakers?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 4, 2017 03:39

Hairball
2000 LYFH

Are they a band fronted by an imaginary leader?

Regarding "Herman," I remember reading this years ago (in David Dalton's book, apparently), and found an old post about it here on IORR...

Posted by: kuenzer
Date: February 16, 2006 01:51

Once, I think 1966, MJ was asked by a fan: "Are you Herman?" "Yeah, I'm Herman." And
so MJ signed autographs as Herman of Herman's Hermits. (Source: David Dalton's book.)

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 4, 2017 03:51

YEAH!! And which one is Pink!?
And while we are at it... Gaga aint no lady!
Paging Jethro, paging Jetho Tull

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2017 04:49

Then there's Freddie and the Dreamers whose singer was actually named Freddie... Freddie Garrity!

Don't know if he was the actual 'leader' of the band, but he certainly was the main focal point on stage!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 4, 2017 06:10

When Huey Lewis was asked about his band... he said it was News to him.

Date: March 4, 2017 06:55

keefriffhard4life
Winning Ugly VXII
Maybe you could say that about the E-Street Band. Not the case for the Heartbreakers. Guitar,bass,and drums are all integral to their music regardless of the name of the band being "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers".

I saw them twice and saw the Stones 15 times and while the Stones are better,I was very impressed by both bands.

The two Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers set lists were too similar. They don't have the huge catalog of quality material that the Stones have but they have around 40 or 50 high caliber songs.

i don't disagree with that but i can't go see just the heartbreakers or the e street band live or go buy an album by them when they aren't backing up bruce or tom petty or any other band like that. thats kind of the point being made. they may be great but they aren't a standalone entity
I think what lifts a band over the hump is the whole writing angle. Take Tom Petty's band e.g.. A magnificent band. And made up of personalities too. Most, actually all of them are in demand in other people's albums and projects. yet, on their own they are direction less because there is no writer. That's the same with Bruce, Seger, Mellencamp, McCartny - all these guys who have very strong, regular bands.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 28, 2017 23:55

09/26/2017

Steven Tylers personal message about the AeroVederci tour cancelation

Unfortunately, due to unexpected medical issues, lead singer, Steven Tyler, is seeking immediate care and has been advised by his doctors that he cannot travel or perform at this time. Therefore, the last four shows of the South American tour will be canceled.

Wednesday, September 27- Curitiba, Brazil
Saturday, September 30- Santiago, Chile
Tuesday, October 3- Rosario, Argentina
Saturday, October 7-Monterrey, Mexico

Steven is expected to make a full recovery. With proper rest and treatment he will be back on his feet soon rocking the world.

"To everybody in South America....Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Mexico... I'm very sorry and feel like I've let you down... I won't be able to continue the last four shows of this tour. I flew back to the US on doctor's orders last night after the show in São Paulo. Please not to worry... I am not in a life threatening condition, but I need to deal with this right away, and get some rest and medical care immediately in order to sustain and maintain my future performances... I promise I'll be back...unfortunately, health does not wait and it's something even I can't schedule around our shows... As they say, "We humans make plans, and God laughs..." I love you all and will be back with you soon... -Steven Tyler

Thank you all for your understanding and support.

Aerosmith

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home