Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Alphabetically, Chronologically, or Haphazardly...how do you file your Stones Records?!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2017 17:35

I'm doing a study on the brain functioning of Stones aficionados, and want to know how you file your records - vinyl, cd, or tape.

Is it by letter, by year, or by-gosh and by golly?!

I'm chronological.

Re: Alphabetically, Chronologically, or Haphazardly...how do you file your Stones Records?!
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 27, 2017 17:38

By year.

Re: Alphabetically, Chronologically, or Haphazardly...how do you file your Stones Records?!
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:06

Chronologically.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:09

Chronologically.
I put the recent vault releases as per their recording date rather than their release date.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:14

Broadly Chronologically...but it depends whether you're talking about the age of the performance/recording or the release date of the record. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 18:17 by Spud.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:19

Chronologically, by release date.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:21

I have five sections: outtakes, live (by far the biggest), digipaks/paperback sleeves, boxes, solo. Within the sections chronologically (recording date).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 18:21 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:28

each category Chronologically. (Studio, live boots, studio boots, solo). Box sets scattered about to my artistic eye....lol

Date: February 27, 2017 18:33

By most listened to in front and Dirty Work in the back collecting dust.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 27, 2017 18:34

Chronologically.

My son however files his collection in a big heap...

...just like he files everything else in his life grinning smiley

Chronologically. And the from the vault/newer Deluxe stuff separately, but also Chronologically.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 27, 2017 19:01

You guys are endearingly geeky! smileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 27, 2017 19:13

Why Chronologically from right to left and not left to right Dandy?

Date: February 27, 2017 19:14

SomeTorontoGirl

Yeah...

...well you girls better stay out of our "man caves" grinning smiley

Date: February 27, 2017 19:25

NICOS
Why Chronologically from right to left and not left to right Dandy?

It is left to right. The solo albums first smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 19:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 27, 2017 19:32

DandelionPowderman
Chronologically. And the from the vault/newer Deluxe stuff separately, but also Chronologically.

Very nice .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 27, 2017 19:53

For cd's:

Pre-Dirty Work - giant random stacks within easy reach next to random Beatles stacks.
From Dirty Work forward - separate pile out of sight, out of mind.

For vinyl - similar strategy except Dirty Work and Voodoo are the only vinyl's I have of latter day studio recordings - kept at the end of the collection.

All Keith solo cd's are intermingled with the best of the Stones cd piles, while Mick solos are nowhere to be found (but I know I have a Primitive Cool cassette somewhere).
Keith vinyl intermingled with the best of Stones, I don't own any Mick vinyl.

*Blue and Lonesome (cd and vinyl) now shelved, but did make into the the best of the Stones/Keith solo sections.

All compilations are kept separate. but close to the motherlode.
The giant Brussels vinyl box set has a prime shelf all of it's own like an altarpiece, while the behemoth GRRRR is on the very bottom shelf with stacks of random cd singles, poor sounding boots, junk, etc on top of it.

All prime cd boots have an entire section of their own - some are kept in binders w/sleeves (random order), while others are in plastic cd holders w/artwork.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:03

Chronologically.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:05

Chronically haphazard.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:11

Chronologically - I printed off the Wikipedia list of dates to put them in precisely as they were released around my bootlegs too.

CDs

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:21

Alphabetically. Somewhat influenced by the "Sort" feature in MS Excel as well as how Google Play & MS Music Player sort. The collection starts with Johnny A's "Get Inside" and runs through Paul Rodgers "Muddy Waters Blues" before The Rolling Stones 12x5 is the first Stones album and Voodoo Lounge is the final Stones before Roomful of Blues starts running through to ZZ Top's "XXX".

Although I could probably name the Stones releases in chronological order, that isn't the case for many other bands in my collection. For me to be able to find any given album in a reasonable amount of time, I've gotta keep em in alphabetical order or there's a chance I'll never find them a second time!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 27, 2017 20:21

'file' is too strong a word... the few cd's i have are sort of haphazardly crammed into the car console.

Date: February 27, 2017 20:40

treaclefingers
I'm doing a study on the brain functioning of Stones aficionados, and want to know how you file your records - vinyl, cd, or tape.

Is it by letter, by year, or by-gosh and by golly?!

I'm chronological.

I've just noticed the bit about brain function Treacle

.. I don't think I have any of that so you'd perhaps better exclude me from your statistics.

Date: February 27, 2017 20:45

I didn't see that either! grinning smiley

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 27, 2017 21:02

one assumes that noticing or not noticing the brain part is part of the study.

gee willikers.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 27, 2017 21:21

Spud
SomeTorontoGirl

Yeah...

...well you girls better stay out of our "man caves" grinning smiley

grinning smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 27, 2017 21:46

Chronologically by release date unless the recordings are some older songs that were released as a Compilation, then they go in their own compilation section.

Posted by: LuvtheJag43 ()
Date: February 28, 2017 00:24

I file my Rolling Stones and Solo Stones collections chronologically by release date, From the Vaults releases by when they were recorded. I file all my other music in 3 categories. Favorite bands are all in one spinner alphabetically by band and chronologically by release date, other bands that get some usage are in another spinner alphabetically by band and chronologically by release date. The final CDs that I like to listen to once in a great while for 1 or 2 songs are in a cd rack, placed haphazardly. My cassette tapes are all in another spinner, placed alphabetically by band.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 28, 2017 01:04

alphabetically... I let my media player do the sorting actually (I have every single Stones release in digital form). When I still cared about CD's (and cassettes) it was chronologically mostly.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home