Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Macca at the 100 Club- Didn't Happen (but....)
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 24, 2017 23:55

Just in case anyone is interested and didn't see the great pic from the 100 club that Bill German posted on Facebook-
[www.facebook.com]

Also he stated that the Macca thing is fiction-
No recording has ever surfaced, and the story about Paul McCartney is pure fiction. (Alternative facts!) I can state unequivocally that Macca was not in the house. Whether someone slipped a tiny tape recorder in their pocket, well, I suppose it's possible. But I highly doubt it, given the nature of the event. (Other than the "stars" mentioned above, it was mostly attended by Stu's aunties, uncles, and golf buddies.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-26 07:59 by shawnriffhard1.

Re: Macca at the 100 Club- Didn't Happen
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 25, 2017 00:45

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 25, 2017 02:15

shawnriffhard1
Just in case anyone is interested and didn't see great pic from the 100 club that Bill German posted on Facebook-
[www.facebook.com]

Also he stated that the Macca thing is fiction-
No recording has ever surfaced, and the story about Paul McCartney is pure fiction. (Alternative facts!) I can state unequivocally that Macca was not in the house. Whether someone slipped a tiny tape recorder in their pocket, well, I suppose it's possible. But I highly doubt it, given the nature of the event. (Other than the "stars" mentioned above, it was mostly attended by Stu's aunties, uncles, and golf buddies.)

Here's something I wrote about this in 2000 (!) on Undercover....

Over the years several folk have enquired about recordings of the "Ian Stewart Memorial Gig" at the 100 Club in early 1986.

I once asked a member of the band about it, and he *positively* said that it was not recorded - and that's the line I have taken on this whenever it has come up.

I now read in Keith Badman's book 'Beatles After the
Breakup 1970-2000' that the gig **WAS** taped after all .... but reportedly by Paul McCartney!

The Keith Badman book mentioned was published in 1999 by Omnibus Books and the reference is on P366. The text can be seen if you follow this link <[books.google.com.au]; and hunt around a bit.

So the key to "Alternative Facts" is to discover Badman's source.

The band member who told me it was not recorded was very sure about it. And it wasn't just Stu's mob there, long term Stones' staffers were definitely there as one told me that "Mick danced just inches from me, it was vonderful (sic)"

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 25, 2017 02:19

Wow, the plot thickens! Thanks for the info and to shortfatfanny for the pic post (is that a basketball term?).

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 25, 2017 18:45

If Macca was there and recorded or not is an absurd question. If he did we will never get to listen to the tape anyway.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 25, 2017 21:59

This is where the story is perpetuated:

"February 23, 1986: The Rolling Stones perform for the first onstage in nearly 4 years, to a chosen, non-paying audience at the 100 Club in London, England, as a tribute to Ian Stewart. They mostly perform blues covers, joined by Pete Townshend, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton. Paul McCartney is among the audience and makes a private audio recording of the show."

Then again, why wouldn't he be among the audience members, since he was a long-time friend of the band and even co-wrote the Stones' first major UK hit single? They invited all these other big names, why not Paul? Just months earlier, Pete Townshend even played on a track from Macca's soon to be released solo album.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 26, 2017 05:13

I know of those that had dealing with the source for the flood(awhile back) of 81 and 89 sbs that were nearly all sourced from video. A few years back we talked about this. This person who I've never had reason to doubt claims the guy had it and what he wanted was astronomical. He said he did let them view it or parts of it. The "Dead Man Cumming " Box Set (which I have an original I've been thinking about selling along with a bunch more silvers) that has 5 cds of two rehearsal shows came from rehearsal videos. He gave them a video of short "clips" of the songs.I have a copy of that. He was supposed to give them a video of one of the rehearsal gigs but backed out at the last minute wanting more money I think. Instead he gave them a partial of the LA show that is in the box. That snippets video did eventually show up on youtube but got taken down. If I remember correctly I think I was told club 100 was just a single cam video, pretty simple. Once again I myself have not seen this but was just told by someone I trust. Personally this would be the holy grail of video OR audio in my opinion.

Date: February 26, 2017 07:58

Fascinating stuff scottkeef. I asked Chris Charlesworth of Melody Maker and he asked his friend Andy Neil. (https://www.amazon.com/Andy-Neill/e/B001K896ZQ)

Andy says: In 1990, a minor news story arose regarding a case against a bootlegger being brought by the BPI and MPL, Paul’s company. The bootlegger’s weak defense was that McCartney had gone on record in a past interview stating that he had nothing against bootlegging and so why was this guy being unfairly targeted? (I think he even tried to doorstep Macca about it at his office in Soho Square).

Anyway, while the case was au courrant, an interviewer asked Paul about bootlegging and he explained he had nothing against fans trading recordings privately amongst each other but objected to their sale – he cited as examples, some of the unauthorised recordings he had including Stevie Wonder at the Rainbow 1974 (a gig he and Linda attended) and the Stones tribute to Ian Stewart at the 100 Club (Feb 1986).

He doesn't say that he was at the show, but that he thinks someone from the Stones crew gave him a copy.

Re: Macca at the 100 Club- Didn't Happen (but....)
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 26, 2017 21:02

The whole thing makes me wonder whether Mick or Keith ever attended a Beatles or solo show - since Royal Albert Hall and filming All You Need Is Love. And vice versa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 26, 2017 21:10

JJHMick
The whole thing makes me wonder whether Mick or Keith ever attended a Beatles or solo show - since Royal Albert Hall and filming All You Need Is Love. And vice versa.

[68.media.tumblr.com]

Posted by: lenchik ()
Date: February 27, 2017 09:19

George Harrison attended Stones show in Brixton Academy '95.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 09:22 by lenchik.

Date: February 27, 2017 11:32

Could it be 100 Club 1986 has surfaced? Nicos entry is more precisely now and he erased the words "all songs unverified".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 17:37 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 27, 2017 21:34

On an Eric Clapton site there is a set list of 12 songs for the gig, along with the names of who played on each track. In addition, it mentions a bootleg recording under the title "The Rolling Stones & Friends – Ian Stewart Memorial (Label Unknown – 1 CD)".

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: February 28, 2017 04:37

I also attended the 100 Club tribute gig for Stu..and will also state Paul McCartney was "NOT" there, only about 150 people at most attended the show..So seeing if Paul was there or not was not very hard.. As to whether it was recorded or not, well, all I will say is the band did not record the gig.. Loved the set list, it will never happen like that again..All the songs could have been preformed in 1965. Harlem Shuffle was a song by Bob & Earl from 1957 I believe. . After the Stones performed it at the 100 Club with Pete joining on guitar ..Pete yelled out to the crowd "I did it first" referring to the fact that he (solo live) covered the song before the Stones covered/discovered it.. It was Pete just joking around. Stu's Rocket 88 band performed before the Stones went on.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 28, 2017 07:03

VideoJames
I also attended the 100 Club tribute gig for Stu..and will also state Paul McCartney was "NOT" there, only about 150 people at most attended the show..So seeing if Paul was there or not was not very hard.

Unless he was hiding on the grassy knoll!

Seriously though, this is an object lesson in why the entire academic field of History exists. If details like this from 30 years ago, and details as to who played drums at the Marquee in 1962, cannot be definitively determined, then it's no surprise that bigger things can get mis-interpreted.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 28, 2017 13:43

stonehearted
On an Eric Clapton site there is a set list of 12 songs for the gig, along with the names of who played on each track. In addition, it mentions a bootleg recording under the title "The Rolling Stones & Friends – Ian Stewart Memorial (Label Unknown – 1 CD)".

That CD would be a sensation. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 28, 2017 17:38

the only bootleg I can recall seeing used the reported set list made up of original tracks or tracks cuts by some that may have been there and referred to as"In Tribute To Stu". Obviously it wasn't the performance itself...I can't recall where I saw it ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-28 17:38 by scottkeef.

Date: February 28, 2017 17:50

scottkeef
the only bootleg I can recall seeing used the reported set list made up of original tracks or tracks cuts by some that may have been there and referred to as"In Tribute To Stu". Obviously it wasn't the performance itself...I can't recall where I saw it ..

That could be it. Half of the songs even exist as Stones takes, KTTH as Stones outtake and Richards number (in two versions).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-09 10:07 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 28, 2017 19:41

shawnriffhard1
Wow, the plot thickens! Thanks for the info and to shortfatfanny for the pic post (is that a basketball term?).

Thanks to all for the infos about that show...and sff...it's just related to Rip This Joint in case I got your question right...

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: March 1, 2017 01:27

JJHMick

Mick and Keith were watching from the baseball team dugout at The Beatles'1965 Shea Stadium concert.

Date: March 9, 2017 04:23

Monsoon Ragoon
stonehearted

That CD would be a sensation. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.
I wrote the guys at the site, but no luck-
Hi Shawn -

Thanks for writing to Where's Eric!, a fan-run group based in England.

Unfortunately, the person who originally did the research and data entry for that section of the tour archive is no longer with us. Current team members have no personal knowledge of that recording. This page on our site [www.whereseric.com] has links to two Clapton bootleg databases where you may be able to find more information. We don't know if these sites are still being updated.

We're currently in a multi-year project of updating that section from 1962 to present, where all information is being re-verified to make sure entries are 100% accurate. At present, we are working on 1967 so it will still be some time before we reach that particular entry.

Sorry we couldn't help more

Regards,
The WE! Team
And Colin Golding as well but no more luck here either-
Hello

Robin Mayhew has passed your enquiry to me. The Concert for Stu was indeed held at the 100 Club on Sunday 23 Feb 1986, Stu having died in November 1985. It was a private gig for his friends in London and Surrey, but another gig was performed in Bridport for his West Country mates. I don’t know the date of that one. I am surprised to hear of a bootleg CD, but if you know of one, I know a number of Stu’s friends would like to get a copy, including me. I did not play at either gig, although Stu and I had both played with the Stones in their early days, at the Red Lion Sutton, and at the Ealing Club, which is presumably how my name got on to the band list. Stu was truly the original Rolling Stone, a great piano player who preferred to be out of sight behind the amp stacks. We all miss him. Let me know if you track down that CD.

All the best

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-09 04:27 by shawnriffhard1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home