Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ALBUM TALK: Blue & Lonesome
Date: February 21, 2017 12:14

BLUE & LONESOME

Tracklist:

A1 Just Your Fool (02:19)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Electric Piano [Wurlitzer Piano] – Matt Clifford
Piano [Acoustic Piano] – Chuck Leavell
Written-By – Walter Jacobs

A2 Commit A Crime (03:41)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Written-By – Chester Burnett

A3 Blue And Lonesome (03:10)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Organ [Hammond B3] – Chuck Leavell

B1 All Of Your Love (04:49)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Keyboards [Electric Keyboards] – Matt Clifford
Written-By – Samuel Maghett*

B2 I Gotta Go (03:28)
Bass – Darryl Jones

B3 Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (04:31)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Organ [Hammond B3] – Matt Clifford
Slide Guitar – Eric Clapton
Written-By – Lermon Horton, Miles Grayson

C1 Ride 'Em On Down (02:52)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Written-By – Eddie Taylor (2)

C2 Hate To See You Go (03:23)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Keyboards [Electric Keyboards], Organ [Hammond B3] – Matt Clifford

C3 Hoo Doo Blues (02:38)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Percussion – Jim Keltner
Written-By – Jerry West, Otis Hicks

D1 Little Rain (03:33)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Keyboards [Electric Keyboards], Organ [Hammond B3] – Matt Clifford
Written-By – Ewart G. Abner Jr., Jimmy Reed

D2 Just Like I Treat You (03:26)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Written-By – Willie Dixon

D3 I Can't Quit You Baby (05:13)
Bass – Darryl Jones
Guitar – Eric Clapton
Written-By – Willie Dixon

Phonographic Copyright (p) – Promotone B.V.
Copyright (c) – Promotone B.V.
Licensed From – Promotone B.V.
Licensed To – Polydor Records
Record Company – Universal Music Operations Ltd.
Record Company – Universal International Music B.V.
Recorded At – British Grove
Mixed At – Henson Recording Studios
Mastered At – Capitol Studios
Published By – Arc Music (2)
Published By – Conrad Music
Published By – Lerie Music Inc.
Published By – Respect Music Co.
Published By – Embassy Music Corp.
Published By – Seeds Of Reed Music
Published By – Hoochie Coochie Music
Pressed By – MPO
Mastered At – Alchemy Mastering

After listening many times, and getting all the hoopla of a brand new Stones album at armslength distance, what are your thoughts on this album?

Re: ALBUM TALK: Blue & Lonesome
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 21, 2017 12:19

very simply: 10/10

best of the "second half"

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 21, 2017 12:23

Isn't this a bit early? Only a month ago we still had a very long thread about this. But okay, fair enough: I got this album for Xmas, and it was as I thought it would be: well done, but not interesting enough to listen to it much. I actually haven't listened to it this year. Maybe I should have done before answering your question, but *shrug* really don't see much point.

I just bought Aftermath (UK) and Emotional Rescue a few weeks ago (I only had them on vinyl but my grammaphone-player broke down) and I am listening to them all the time now.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 21, 2017 12:35

5/10

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:31

The best LP they've released since TATTOO YOU.

Date: February 21, 2017 15:36

GasLightStreet

Definitely! Great material, recorded and performed authentically and with great love for the blues. All of this brings out the best in everyone.

A superb album.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:37

It's early, yes, to come with an album talk already, because it's still fresh and not
"well worn" like the others.
I think it is interesting to compare this album with the Deluxe addition to Some Girls.
That's another one with loads of blues tracks on it. The fundaments were laid in the
70s, but production is recent. I think both albums blend together very well. Put them both
in a play list and press shuffle, and you'll hear what I mean.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:50

It seems early because the other albums were already covered in these 'Album Talk' thread series, so Blue and Lonesome would be the next. grinning smiley

On any case I'm sure I'll be delighted listening to this album many years from now just like I am today.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:54

I'm not a fan of this album but I have noticed that the single (first single) has had a lot of airplay overhere on Swedish mainstream radio. Which is a rare thing these days...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:58

Interesting too to compare it with their very first album.

One album made by fired up 20 year old Blues missionaries at the start of their career and another made by 70 year olds who have played, seen and done it all.

Very different but both albums scream of the same genuine and enduring love for the Blues.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:06

The first album since DW I enjoyed from start to finish. There´s no weak song on it,ok it´s all covers, but the Stones made them their own. It´s a geniune new Stones album and maybe better than any new album of originals could have ever been. Like on SG the Stones seem to be re-energized and refreshed (in their 70s!!!), but B&L is a lot more enjoyable than SG, which was played very good but had a lot of rather poor songs. What both albums have in common is that you can feel their love for the music again (never felt much of their love for the music on albums like GHS or VL, B2cool smiley. I would gladly buy another record of Blues-covers, seems that is the best what they can do in this late stage of their career. Maybe they will still surprise us with a very good album of originals, but I have my doubts about that. Although I love every tune on B&L I think the second half of the album is even better. Mick shines all through the album, great vocals, great harmonica and the band acts as a tight unit without one member trying to step into the spotlight more than the other. It´s team work this time and I really like the way they play on this one. The success of B&L might encourage them to do a volume two, it takes only a couple of days to record, they seem to have fun recording those old tunes and people seem to love it a lot.

Date: February 21, 2017 16:19

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Definitely! Great material, recorded and performed authentically and with great love for the blues. All of this brings out the best in everyone.

A superb album.

It's in the group of if you had to recommend Stones albums to someone. This list is a great example of their actual greatest albums and albums with great songs (the latter being a bit obvious with these albums):

Out Of Our Heads
Aftermath
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Goats Head Soup
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Undercover
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

Blue And Lonesome

Date: February 21, 2017 16:28

It is clearly their best album release in over 10 years!
OK, that was a bit snarky.... It would have been a great DISC 2 to a two-disc set.It is a very interesting release... what's next... a duets release a la Sinatra.... The truth is... that would be cool too. Just about anything the Stones do is interesting. They are basically incapable of doing something uninteresting. But unlike every Stones Album I have bought since the day it came out in 1976 - I have not listened to this non-stop for weeks as I did all the others. I know, I know... these guys are in their 70's. It is stupid to think that they are going to write music like they did 50 years ago. Perhaps because they still sound amazing live these days, one thinks that they are just as creative as they always were. Ah...but what do I know... I liked Superheavy.

Date: February 21, 2017 16:40

HopeYouGuessMyName
It is clearly their best album release in over 10 years!
OK, that was a bit snarky.... It would have been a great DISC 2 to a two-disc set.It is a very interesting release... what's next... a duets release a la Sinatra.... The truth is... that would be cool too. Just about anything the Stones do is interesting. They are basically incapable of doing something uninteresting. But unlike every Stones Album I have bought since the day it came out in 1976 - I have not listened to this non-stop for weeks as I did all the others. I know, I know... these guys are in their 70's. It is stupid to think that they are going to write music like they did 50 years ago. Perhaps because they still sound amazing live these days, one thinks that they are just as creative as they always were. Ah...but what do I know... I liked Superheavy.

That's a stretch..

What about a soul album? A country album? A rhythm & blues album? Preferably with original material smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2017 16:41

GasLightStreet

It's in the group of if you had to recommend Stones albums to someone. This list is a great example of their actual greatest albums and albums with great songs (the latter being a bit obvious with these albums):

Out Of Our Heads
Aftermath
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Goats Head Soup
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Undercover
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

Blue And Lonesome

Date: February 21, 2017 16:43

HMS
GasLightStreet

Out Of Our Heads
Aftermath
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Goats Head Soup
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Undercover
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

Blue And Lonesome

The hack strikes again.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:50

great album. still enjoy to spin it very often though not as heavy as the first month. it's solid, great stones-sounding covers. nothing groundbreaking but I did not expect them to break any ground anymore. so smileys with beer

Date: February 21, 2017 16:56

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

Out Of Our Heads
Aftermath
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Goats Head Soup
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Undercover
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

Blue And Lonesome

The hack strikes again.

Aftermath is their weakest album of originals in the 60s except BTB.
Goats is their most boring album ever and a big let-down.
Some Girls sounds fresh but is poorly written.
Tattoo You... well it isn´t even an album the way the others are...
Bridges is a senseless mix of two never finished solo-albums and you need a good portion of humor to call this mixed bag a "Stones album".

Blue And Lonesome stands miles higher than these albums.

Date: February 21, 2017 16:58

HMS
Bridges is a senseless mix of two never finished solo-albums and you need a good portion of humor to call this mixed bag a "Stones album".

No one will ever accuse you of having cleaned your ears out and gotten a brain.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:20

A keeper, plain and simple

Date: February 21, 2017 17:53

GasLightStreet
HMS

No one will ever accuse you of having cleaned your ears out and gotten a brain.

Recommending Aftermath, GHS, Bridges, Goats & SG to a Stones-newbie would be a crime. He or she would turn his/her back on the Stones forever. You might recommend TY though but in fairness you´d have to mention that it is rather a compilation than a genuine album. - No one would ever think of Bridges as a better album than Blue And Lonesome, brain or not.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:56

All songs performed to perfection. No self-consciousness, just pure confidence in their ability to play this style of music upon which they cut their teeth. Everybody is at the top of their game. This is Ronnie's best album since Every Picture Tells A Story, maybe Micks best performance on an album ever! (factoring in his harp playing as well as his vocals)...can't say it is his best album ever since his songwriting skills are not displayed. This is the best record featuring the rhythm section of Charlie & Darryl, they make these songs swing! Yes, Keith is a bit subdued, but he is there, driving the rhythm...and when he get his chance to step out (riffing at the end of All Of Your Love, Intro to Ride 'em On Down; etc), he nails it!

Just a superb album. I can't quite put it among the highest tier of Stones albums since it has no original creations, but it is still rocking these ears after countless listenings since it came out. A wonderful surprise return to form from my favorite band!

Date: February 21, 2017 18:56

HMS
Recommending Aftermath, GHS, Bridges, Goats & SG to a Stones-newbie would be a crime.

You're the crime.

HMS
You might recommend TY though but in fairness you´d have to mention that it is rather a compilation than a genuine album.

Oh so once again you prefer to be ignorant. How amusing!

Album - a collection of recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, or another medium.

That describes TATTOO YOU. Seeing that nothing had been released until it was finished, when and where has no relevance - something you're very familiar with.

HMS
No one would ever think of Bridges as a better album than Blue And Lonesome, brain or not.

Hey idiot savant - it would help you a lot if you paid attention.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 21, 2017 18:58

From the experience I have of non-Stones friends listening to the Stones (although they mostly yell to me to switch if off), I have to say that Exile and Tattoo You always end up really high. Out Of Our Heads does rather well too, by the way. Most post-80s stuff obviously ends up real low.
As I said, I recently bought Aftermath and Emotional Rescue (and got B&L for Xmas). It came as a big surprise to me actually that my girlfriend (not a Stones fan particularly, but she does like Exile) preferred Emotional Rescue over Aftermath. Not at all what I expected, although I have heard other non-Stones fans not liking Aftermath very much. Apparantly it's an album mainly appreciated by Stones fans. B&L, by the way, for my girlfriend didn't have any interest even though she does like occasional blues music (and she really liked Crosseyed Heart too).
Just my 2 cents.

Date: February 21, 2017 19:02

There's a lot to be said about women digging EMOTIONAL RESCUE. I love the album but I do know it's not their best. It has some stankers on it but the sound of it is incredible, the title track is awesome and chicks dig it.

AFTERMATH doesn't have that. And you're right - it's difficult for a general Stones music liking person to want to like (other than Under My Thumb).

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:22

It's a great album and a totally enjoyable listen, but I don't find myself wanting to return to it all that much.(Just like I'm not too inclined to go back to their debut album all that much today.) We all know the Stones can excel at the blues and they certainly do here. But as much as I appreciate the roots of the Stones, what I really prefer is the kind of original Stones music they evolved into because of their roots. As good as the album is, it doesn't offer anything new. Perhaps the days of anything new from the Stones have passed but I'll be more excited if a new album of original stuff ever comes forth. The blues is a cool genre but with tunes like Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, etc, the Stones created an even cooler genre all their own.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2017 20:20

Average album of covers - like a novelty record - much prefer all of the original versions of these recordings.
Great harp playing from Mick throughout, but his vocals are unlistenable on several tunes.
Can't/won't listen to it from start to finish anymore (which has been the case since week two).
Looking forward to an album of originals - but if this is their last album, a poetic way to finish off.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 22, 2017 00:09

marcovandereijk
It's early, yes, to come with an album talk already, because it's still fresh and not
"well worn" like the others.
I think it is interesting to compare this album with the Deluxe addition to Some Girls.
That's another one with loads of blues tracks on it. The fundaments were laid in the
70s, but production is recent. I think both albums blend together very well. Put them both
in a play list and press shuffle, and you'll hear what I mean.

thumbs up My idea! smileys with beer

I'd like to quote 1962 also:

"very simply: 10/10

best of the "second half"

My opinion:

BLUE & LONESOME........... 8/10.

Love this album!
Great recording and performance from the whole band. Mick incredible real sounding vocals and great bluesharp make it a 8 out of 10 instead of a 7.
One minor: After almost three months I only play BLUE & LONESOME one time a day or parlty in a different order.

Date: February 22, 2017 00:16

GasLightStreet
Album - a collection of recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, or another medium.

That describes TATTOO YOU. Seeing that nothing had been released until it was finished, when and where has no relevance - something you're very familiar with.

Blue And Lonesome = new album
Jump Back = compilation album of previously released material
TY = compilation album of previously unreleased, revisited and finished material

therefore TY isn´t a genuine new Rolling Stones album, what is so hard to understand about it? Any bunch of songs can be called "album" but not every "album" is a "new studio album". They marketed TY as a "new studio album", which it wasn´t. YOUR constant ignorance could drive braver men than me to tears...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 22, 2017 02:15

HMS
GasLightStreet

Blue And Lonesome = new album
Jump Back = compilation album of previously released material
TY = compilation album of previously unreleased, revisited and finished material

therefore TY isn´t a genuine new Rolling Stones album, what is so hard to understand about it? Any bunch of songs can be called "album" but not every "album" is a "new studio album". They marketed TY as a "new studio album", which it wasn´t. YOUR constant ignorance could drive braver men than me to tears...

Within the timespan from SOME GIRLS up to and including UNDERCOVER, there was a sequence of more or less related new studio albums SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER. Within the said time span, but outside that sequence of named albums, there was one other new studio album TATTOO YOU, with its own particular details, but genuinely new album as such. It is all very adequate to be or become aware of those details about dates, but it does not in any way change the album status of TATTOO YOU. Is there really so much more to say about album status, given such details?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home