Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: ALBUM TALK: Blue & Lonesome
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 2, 2023 16:42

A fantastic good old-time album: it asks not to pick up individual tracks but to be played as a whole album. I don't listen the album that often, but every time I do I am surprised how strong it is and how effortlessly it flows. It is cohesive, each track supporting each other. And short enough. They don't do albums like that no more.

I don't think any other act could have done it, or at least so convincingly. The Stones have an unique relation to Chicago blues tradition.

Altogether, a fantastic latter-day statement from the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-02 16:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 2, 2023 22:10

I 100% agree Doxa. A labour of love it flows smoothly, with good interpretation of good songs. I like that they chose some relatively more obscure numbers, too. Not trying to out-do anyone, just play what they love. I would love to have their next record be another cover album. More blues, maybe even acoustic with Keff, Ronnie and Mick only.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 3, 2023 02:01

I doubt they could repeat this. It was relatively spontaneous, Clapton was there, it just happened. Lightning probably couldn't strike twice. And if they thought and thought and thought about making another such album, it would end up stuck in the mud like their 'new' ablbum.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 3, 2023 09:04

I agree with Terry, Hodoo Blues is the killer track!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 3, 2023 11:26

Doxa
A fantastic good old-time album: it asks not to pick up individual tracks but to be played as a whole album. I don't listen the album that often, but every time I do I am surprised how strong it is and how effortlessly it flows. It is cohesive, each track supporting each other. And short enough. They don't do albums like that no more.

I don't think any other act could have done it, or at least so convincingly. The Stones have an unique relation to Chicago blues tradition.

Altogether, a fantastic latter-day statement from the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

- Doxa

thumbs up

Exactly so !

Loved the album from the outset and my liking for it has only increased with the perspective of time and repeated listening.

[...and you can't say that of every record that initially impresses.]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2023 05:24

24FPS
I doubt they could repeat this. It was relatively spontaneous, Clapton was there, it just happened. Lightning probably couldn't strike twice. And if they thought and thought and thought about making another such album, it would end up stuck in the mud like their 'new' ablbum.

They've been doing "this" for tons of album sessions in general, just not certain days in a row. For the 1982 UNDERCOVER sessions they did a ton of blues. It's just what they do, or did, for years.

BLUE AND LONESOME was a result of them doing the same thing, only with more focus, in the midst of recording new originals.

Hit a wall my ass - they stumbled onto something they'd not done ever before - focus in regard to. Hence the album.

That's
all there is to it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2023 12:48

Well, whatever the rhyme or reason...

...let's just say that it worked ! grinning smiley

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 4, 2023 13:17

buffalo7478
I would love to have their next record be another cover album. More blues, maybe even acoustic with Keff, Ronnie and Mick only.

God, no! I like this album a lot, but we have two of the finest songwriters ever, fronting a still highly successful touring band - yet we haven't had an album of new songs in 18 years. Even the usually unprolific The Who have managed to put out two albums of new material in that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-04 13:18 by Congratulations.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home