Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Music that others love that I just don't get
Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 22, 2017 10:02

HonkeyTonkFlash
Styx. Barf! Dennis DeYoung has one of the wimpiest, annoying voices in pop history. "Babe" should have been released with puke bags.

I take offense at your implication that there would be a significant group of ‘others’ on this board who ‘get’ Styx. And besides their cheesy music is too easy a target – it’s like I don’t think the Bay City Rollers or Huey Lewis & the News are really worth mentioning although they did have a following. (However, I confess I liked ‘Babe’ as a 12 y/o.)

I definitely agree with people on the Grateful Dead – the only song I’ve ever liked of theirs is ‘Friend of the Devil.’ Others would have to include:

Elvis
YES
Bryan Ferry
Eminem/Rap
The Strokes – I actually wanted to like them but I realized I’d probably kill myself before that ever happened.

U2, Guns, Springsteen, Zep, Queen, Eagles, Floyd, Skynyrd etc. are hit and miss with me, mostly miss, but anyone who can’t hear pleasant musical strains in at least some of their songs should be locked in a cell with The Strokes.

Date: February 22, 2017 10:49

DandelionPowderman
Nick Cave.

I have tried..

Grr - I know you have good taste. So there's something that is not clicking in the transference of info. Mayve they forgot to send you the left channel on all his songs...LOL
I will make it my mission to try and sway you.

Actually this thread sort of ties in with a thread I had started, and wanted to keep going, and update every week. I had several weeks already planned. But using all the pics in photobucket caused a big virus in my PC, and I am not even sure I got rid of it. So I dont want to pepper the board with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-22 10:51 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 22, 2017 11:20

timmyj3
Beatles late 67 thru the end - awful cartoonish music. Ugh.

Beatles 63 thru 66 LOVE THEM, true innovators.

Actually, you have that arse about.

63-66... Vaudeville, awful.
67 - the end...awesome.

Rod

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 22, 2017 11:46

bitusa2012
timmyj3

67 - the end...awesome.

No, you both are getting it wrong.
63 - 65 : good harmless fun, sometimes even brilliant plus some occasional weak stuff
66 - 68 : pretentious nonsense
68 - end: some good stuff, sometimes even brilliant plus a lot of nonsense

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: February 22, 2017 22:22

Liked the early Syd stuff but never got Dark Side other than the guitar solo in Money, tried to convince myself and have gone back to it occasionally but never moves me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 22, 2017 23:39

matxil
bitusa2012
timmyj3

67 - the end...awesome.

No, you both are getting it wrong.
63 - 65 : good harmless fun, sometimes even brilliant plus some occasional weak stuff
66 - 68 : pretentious nonsense
68 - end: some good stuff, sometimes even brilliant plus a lot of nonsense

You are all wrong - winking smiley - they were great from the very beginning until the very end.

Date: February 23, 2017 00:23

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Nick Cave.

I have tried..

Grr - I know you have good taste. So there's something that is not clicking in the transference of info. Mayve they forgot to send you the left channel on all his songs...LOL

Actually this thread sort of ties in with a thread I had started, and wanted to keep going, and update every week. I had several weeks already planned. But using all the pics in photobucket caused a big virus in my PC, and I am not even sure I got rid of it. So I dont want to pepper the board with it.

I'm open for swaying. I'm struggling with getting used to his voice, though smiling smiley

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: February 23, 2017 01:15

LeonidP
Many bands, but off the top of my head (some based on recent threads):

- Chicago
- Journey
- Billy Joel
- Bruce

Wow LeonidP thank you , I can handle Chicago but the other three, I find it painful when I hear most of their music.

Queen is my Kryptonite , if some terrorist needed Intel , just tie me up and play Queen , two songs in and I would give up mother and grandmother. I would rather have a root canal done with an oyster fork than listen to their shit. Also don't forget the whole album Hotel California. Yuk

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 23, 2017 01:22

Swayed1967
I take offense at your implication that there would be a significant group of ‘others’ on this board who ‘get’ Styx. And besides their cheesy music is too easy a target – it’s like I don’t think the Bay City Rollers or Huey Lewis & the News are really worth mentioning although they did have a following. (However, I confess I liked ‘Babe’ as a 12 y/o.)

I definitely agree with people on the Grateful Dead – the only song I’ve ever liked of theirs is ‘Friend of the Devil.’ Others would have to include:

Elvis
YES
Bryan Ferry
Eminem/Rap
The Strokes – I actually wanted to like them but I realized I’d probably kill myself before that ever happened.

U2, Guns, Springsteen, Zep, Queen, Eagles, Floyd, Skynyrd etc. are hit and miss with me, mostly miss, but anyone who can’t hear pleasant musical strains in at least some of their songs should be locked in a cell with The Strokes.

Bryan Ferry is "nicht für alle". It was quite common to bash him earlier, but that has stopped. He has become better. Still, his albums don`t fully satisfy me. There are too many fillers. This is a "no-no" subject at his fansite these days, as he is regarded as a survivor of the same generation as Bowie.

Date: February 23, 2017 02:15

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Nick Cave.

I have tried..

I'm open for swaying. I'm struggling with getting used to his voice, though smiling smiley

Let me ask you this: have you checked out the "Murder Ballads" album by him and his cronies?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2017 18:00

With the occasional exception (Roundabout, etc.), prog rock leaves me cold.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: February 23, 2017 18:34

Most of the blues (boring, unimaginative, slow)

Styx

Prince

Genesis aside from like 2 songs

Don Henley

Train

Jimmy Buffett (hey great ok everybody loves the beach but can you give it a rest already)

Phish

Grateful Dead

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Steely Dan

Somebody mentioned this before...but the overproduced super fast annoying screechy 80s guitar sound. Joe Satrini? Whatever his name is. The bald goober.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-23 18:45 by chop.

Date: February 23, 2017 18:41

Also Frank Zappa is pure garbage

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 23, 2017 18:52

The Grateful Dead. (And Grate is perfect for them). The more Dead I hear the deeper I dislike their sound. Their so called harmonies are sour milk gargling at best. Jerry is fine once you get him out of that putrid setting. THE worst cover band of all time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-23 18:53 by 24FPS.

Date: February 23, 2017 19:10

24FPS
The Grateful Dead. (And Grate is perfect for them). The more Dead I hear the deeper I dislike their sound. Their so called harmonies are sour milk gargling at best. Jerry is fine once you get him out of that putrid setting. THE worst cover band of all time.

Sometimes I wonder if people really like the Grateful Dead, Matthews, Phish for there music or is it just familiar background noise for when they're doing drugs. I mean who goes to these shows for music?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 23, 2017 19:26

The Band

Their cover of Dylan's "I shall be released" is great though.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 23, 2017 19:32

24FPS

Jeez, I will only say when Jerry was on fire they were very enjoyable live. And they were the house band for the acid tests, so yes the experience of seeing them live had different expectations!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2017 20:36

Ditto Zappa and Grateful dead. I tried - repeatedly - just didn't happen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2017 20:44

chop
24FPS

Sometimes I wonder if people really like the Grateful Dead, Matthews, Phish for there music or is it just familiar background noise for when they're doing drugs. I mean who goes to these shows for music?

My older brother took me to see the Grateful Dead in '77 (or '78), and we were both bored to death.
We even smoked a ton of weed and had a small amount of shrooms to 'get in the vibe'...didn't help!

I do like several studio tunes from them though!

Date: February 23, 2017 21:21

Hairball
chop
24FPS

My older brother took me to see the Grateful Dead in '77 (or '78), and we were both bored to death.
We even smoked a ton of weed and had a small amount of shrooms to 'get in the vibe'...didn't help!

I do like several studio tunes from them though!

So the new Dave's Picks is Boston Gahhden 4-02-73. 17+ minute Playin' In The Band, 16 minutes Eyes provide great driving music, nice escapism tunes. AND NO OVERDUBS!! (Yes the plain songs are very boring)

Date: February 24, 2017 01:12

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Nick Cave.

I have tried..

Let me ask you this: have you checked out the "Murder Ballads" album by him and his cronies?

I started with that one..

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 24, 2017 03:05

One man's coffee...
Here is what doesn't click with me:

*Nick Cave - I have tried. Think it's pretentious and phoney. Strange, because at the same time I find David Bowie fantastic.

*Grateful Dead - I just don't get it. Can't find my way into it.

*Sting - He has written some fine songs, especially with The Police and some solo stuff is good, but most of the time it's so boring I fall asleep.

*Radiohead - Can't find out what's so great about it. It's utterly depressing to listen to. I have no doubts about that they have talent, though.

*Yoko Ono - If people want to torture their ears, then be my guest. I can't stand it. However, the songs she did on Double Fantasy did have some quality. Most of the time I find that those listening to her, are just trying to convince themselves as being hipsters.

*Phil Collins - A good song here and there and he is not without merits when writing lyrics, but that gated "Phil Collins Sound"... Ugh...

*Frank Sinatra - I don't think he makes it so magical as people say. I'm a much bigger fan of Dean Martin and his way of crooning songs.

*The Smiths - I get that they somehow changed the game and came up with a new sound, but I don't like it.

*Toto - Too slick for me.

*Jefferson Airplane - Never got it.

*Neil Young (the latter years) - His early records were great. I don't find it so great nowadays.

*Bob Dylan - after 1976 there is very little I find of great value.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: February 24, 2017 13:53

Hopefully not too controversial here as a choice - Keith Richards as lead vocalist.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 24, 2017 14:22

... I'll add a couple to my list, after being reminded by others.

Green Day (yes, even can't stand his whiny voice on Time of My Life)
Dave Matthews ... again with the whiny vocals!

Nick Cave ... supposed to be a great singer, but I also can't stand his voice

He almost single handedly ruins Louie's What a Wonderful World
** Cave & MacGowan cover What A Wonderful World **
but thankfully the brilliant (that's right, I said brilliant) vocals of Shane MacGowan save it somewhat.

And said them before but since they are so high up on my 'despise' list:
Bruce
Billy Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-24 14:23 by LeonidP.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 24, 2017 16:34

Randy Newman. Stirs absolutely nothing in my soul.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 24, 2017 16:43

king crimson, genesis and most of the prog
pink floyd

also heavy metal and even most of the hard rock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-24 16:50 by maumau.

Date: February 24, 2017 16:43

Nick Cave with the Bad Seeds: Not so much
Nick Cave with Grinderman: Very much!! thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 24, 2017 16:44

James Taylor, Carole King, Carly Simon, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Rickie Lee Jones, Rory Block, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, everything related to the Eagles, all of the boring west-coast-artists. Every kind of Heavy Metal.

And just about everybody who became famous during the last 25 years.yawning smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 24, 2017 17:38

crosby stills and nash oh no
well i 'get' them; i just don't like what they're giving.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-25 06:22 by hopkins.

Posted by: jbgoode ()
Date: February 24, 2017 18:34

Stupid Theory!
Why?
Because 95% of the IORR-contributors only like the Stones music....
The other 5% only likes other music only when Keith Richards likes it too....

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home