Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Music that others love that I just don't get
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:21

Dirty Work

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:09

Beatles late 67 thru the end - awful cartoonish music. Ugh.

Beatles 63 thru 66 LOVE THEM, true innovators.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:24

eduardoacdc
Wings

Hmm, Wings... -Which means that you`re never humming any lines from the songs "Band on The Run" or "Venus and March" (are all right tonight)?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:51

dmay
What passes for country music these days.

Amen

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:51

I think Bob Dylan has written some great songs, I just don't think that he can sing.

It seems that most of his songs have average guitar playing and always end with a whining harmonica.

I think others have done much more justice to his work than he has.

Date: February 21, 2017 16:53

Wow! to Sinatra, Bowie, and Springsteen!

Date: February 21, 2017 16:56

Shocked about Rod Stewart and solo Macca/Wings.

To each, his own...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:07

Ross
Rush - I get that they are great musicians, but I just can't listen to their music at all!

Also, guitarists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen; etc. from the too-many-notes-not-enough-soul school of guitar playing.

Neal Pert is the greatest air drummer to ever actually play the drums! Same could be said for those guitar noodlers you listed!

Date: February 21, 2017 17:17

The Sicilian
Palace Revolution 2000
Green Day I can not stand. It's both: the music and the guys. Hate 'em.

Disagree with that big time.

The one song of theirs that I like a lot is "Time of Your Life"
When one of my daughters was approaching her high school graduation and about to go off to college, this song was getting airplay and caused me to look back and reflect on her childhood and the years of her school days from when I held her hand as a four-year-old entering PreK to hugging her at her high school graduation and so much in between. I put on the happy face but inside I was crying as I drove her to college on move-in day.

That song is puke in a bag. It's horrible! A schmaltzy ballad specifically done to get airplay and sell copies. They jumped the shark with that garbage. Bizarre that that song made you reflect about your daughter!

Date: February 21, 2017 17:25

Dave Matthews - Dork. The guy is a DORK. His music sucks too.
The Beach Boys - PET SOUNDS in particular - absolute rubbish.
Kanye West - That ain't music, it's garbage. Talentless hack.
The Eagles - Jeff Lebowski puts it perfectly.
The Grateful Dead - Aside from just a few songs, what did the GD fan say when he sobered up? What is this crap!
Oasis - One of the worst things to exist in music - I'd rather listen to DIRTY WORK.

Quite a few others...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:26

Green DAy is great band that released some amazing good stuff. The Stones once had a even schmaltzier ballad done to get airplay, it´s called Angie. And they tried that trick years later with even much more disgusting Streets Of Love.

Date: February 21, 2017 17:35

GasLightStreet
The Grateful Dead - Aside from just a few songs, what did the GD fan say when he sobered up? What is this crap!
Oasis - One of the worst things to exist in music - I'd rather listen to DIRTY WORK.

Quite a few others...

You're getting soft..

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:42

I do not agree very often with GLS but he´s right about the Eagles.
Their music is oh so boring, it makes even boring Goats Head Soup shine and sparkle in comparison. Listening to whatever Beach-Boys-song gives me allergies. What a silly waste of time listening to the Beach Boys!

Date: February 21, 2017 19:03

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Quite a few others...

You're getting soft..

Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.

I don't listen to DIRTY WORK. Ever. Even Oasis couldn't get me to listen to it.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:14

Ross <Also, guitarists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen; etc. from the too-many-notes-not-enough-soul school of guitar playing.>

Totally agree! I always recall relating to a comment Frank Zappa made in an interview where he talked about guitarists who can play "clouds of gnat notes" but have no feeling in what they do. Give me Keith Richards over those gnat-note players any day. I have an older brother who tends to judge all music by weather or not it features spectacular over the top whiz-kid guitar solos. Everything else about the music can be crap but it doesn't matter to him. He thinks the Stones are lame because there's "no guitar virtuosity." I feel bad for him...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:20

I read all posts so far -- I am thrilled that everyone has forgotten disco

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:24

The Former Artist Formerly Known, Among Other Things, as Prince has never really impressed me, with the obvious exception of his three great pop songs.

By all accounts he was a great multi-instrumentalist, but he seems to have never properly harnessed his talent, at least in the studio.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:27

Styx. Barf! Dennis DeYoung has one of the wimpiest, annoying voices in pop history. "Babe" should have been released with puke bags.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 19:29 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: February 21, 2017 19:30

Neil Young, with the exception of Harvest.

Date: February 21, 2017 19:39

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Palace Revolution 2000

When one of my daughters was approaching her high school graduation and about to go off to college, this song was getting airplay and caused me to look back and reflect on her childhood and the years of her school days from when I held her hand as a four-year-old entering PreK to hugging her at her high school graduation and so much in between. I put on the happy face but inside I was crying as I drove her to college on move-in day.

That song is puke in a bag. It's horrible! A schmaltzy ballad specifically done to get airplay and sell copies. They jumped the shark with that garbage. Bizarre that that song made you reflect about your daughter!

Perhaps the song's reflective lyrics, coupled with the fact that The Sicilian's daughter was about to embark on a new time in her life, had something to do with it, Max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 19:40 by Olly.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 21, 2017 20:28

Olly
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Palace Revolution 2000

Perhaps the song's reflective lyrics, coupled with the fact that The Sicilian's daughter was about to embark on a new time in her life, had something to do with it, Max.

Thinking about it more, the song is quite short in length, the lyrics succinct, maybe it was meant as a metaphor for life in general, on how time passes by so quickly as you move through life.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: February 21, 2017 20:58

Munichhilton
potus43
dmay

Mostly agree except Miranda Lambert, Eric Church and Chris Stapleton - and some of Dierks. The rest is pretty bad

Don't sleep on Dwight or Dale...pure country
Erc Church ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 21, 2017 21:10

Tim McGraw. He was the (unannounced) opener for Joe Walsh at the Beacon a while back. Literally put me to sleep and killed the "Walsh buzz" for me and many others. The place emptied out before the encore.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 21, 2017 22:50

MrMibbs
Munichhilton
potus43
dmay

Mostly agree except Miranda Lambert, Eric Church and Chris Stapleton - and some of Dierks. The rest is pretty bad

Don't sleep on Dwight or Dale...pure country
Erc Church ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

Talladega...hope he writes one about Daytona and quickly

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 21, 2017 23:31

Grateful Dead

Neil Young

Guns and Roses

Emotional Rescue

Undercover

Dirty Work

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 22, 2017 00:42

Palace Revolution 2000
And the Kinks I have never got. In some circles they are counted among the Great Ones; with Beatles and Stones. That must surely just be because they been around for some years.
Oh and REO Speedwagon. I like to watch them though. The guitarist in the 70s was the bomb. But that singer...I become fascinated by ow creepy he is. And nowadays, that hair.confused smiley

Radiohead could be a top band for me if it wasn't for those awful lead vocals.
I saw the Springsteen coments. With me it is the other way around: I like his studio output alright; it is the live stuff I do not like. First off there are two members in that front line that are superfluous.

Green Day is horrible. Jock "punk" (it's not punk of course). But does anybody like them? Sadly Springsteen is on my list too. Like a few songs but not a fan and i really dont understand the cult. I might have felt " it" once during a concert so yes i get that argument but still...
I dont understand Pink Floyd. Wings? I understand why someone might enjoy one of their (his) mostly mediocre pop ditties but only if you leave your brain behind. A few good ones.

Red hot chili pepper. A couple of good songs (my friends and warm tape) but pure torture otherwise.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 22, 2017 00:45

Theme song to The Brady Bunch.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 22, 2017 01:02

Olly
Neil Young, with the exception of Harvest.

Well you did get it with Harvest and others with After The Gold Rush and so on..................

Date: February 22, 2017 01:04

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Quite a few others...

You're getting soft..

Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.

I don't listen to DIRTY WORK. Ever. Even Oasis couldn't get me to listen to it.

grinning smiley

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 22, 2017 01:43

erad
HankM

You must not have listened to much rap or hip hop then man

I give all genres a chance, I gave rap a chance back when sugar hill gang came out.... I gave all those people a chance... plus rap and hip hop has been rammed down our throats in every movie, sports show, sporting events, driving down the street in my car hearing that crap blaring from cars, you hear it all over the palce.... it has beem impossible to not listen to that crap... and the more I hear of that non-music the more I know it sucks it does little or nothing for me (it actually "does not do nothing" for me, it has a negative effect on me) when it is very popular and regarded as great by many other people for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-22 01:45 by HankM.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home