Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Track
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: February 20, 2017 03:31

Just picked this up earlier today for $50 @ 'Barnes & Noble' 703 pages. From 'Come On' to 'Doom & Gloom'

I'd recommend it to anyone looking to add to their Stones collection.

Throughout the pages there are tabs marked 'For the Stones Addicts', little known info, etc...

'In Your Headphones' misc. flubs or interesting sounds during certain songs

I.e. 'Star Star' "Evidence of Andy John's attempt to cover up the reference to John Wayne can be heard between 2:58 and 3:01. A horrible echo suddenly invades the whole mix, only to disappear instantly. This begs the question: why didn't Andy apply the echo to Mick's voice alone?'

It's a pretty decent Stones history told through every song chronologically, listing all musicians, composers, who played what, dates..imagine 'Timeisonourside' website in book form but more detailed.

Just a heads up, good book..check it out.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 03:33 by Marhsall.

Re: The Rolling Stones All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Track
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 20, 2017 15:21

A friend of mine, in his early sixties, got this book for Christmas from his son. Jim is a musician and songwriter in the Beatles/James Taylor/Eagles vein so he was never terribly familiar with the Stones beyond the War Horses. He absolutely LOVES this book.

Date: February 21, 2017 05:30

I saw that book too but was reluctant to get it. When it said, The Story Behind Every Song, I assumed that it would be every song that was either well-known (JJF, SMU, etc.) or new enough to not be totally forgotten about (for better or worse)... I'm definitely going to need to check it out if it's as good as you say it is now, though!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 21, 2017 07:23

yes, I would like to hear other opinions from this board.

plexi

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2017 08:30

Currently available at Amazon for $28.22. The Rolling Stones All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track

The authors Philippe Margotin and Jean-Michel Guesdon also released the books Bob Dylan: All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track (2015), and All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release (2013).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 08:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 10:55

Question is whose story behind what songs.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 18:57

This book had become available here in the Netherlands since last week (translated in dutch). I have to say I'm impressed by the detailed information on the songs. What I like is information about who played what instrument on what song. And things like: 'Charlie played an extra beat on 1:03' or 'Brian Jones plays a wrong note at 2:03'. Also specific information on the quality of the production of a song is discussed. It had been updated with Blue and Lonesome. Great to read with the cd's playing in the background. Furthermore very nice lay out with some great photo's (quite a few that I didn't see before). Recommendation for Stones fans who like to get some insights in the production process of all recorded songs.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 8, 2017 19:37

I read a few weeks ago here on iorr that the book is not very accurate with facts.
Jeroen

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 21:08

I read that too, but as I remember correctly, the conclusion was that it was full of nice-to-know facts, but there were some flaws. But what I have read so far, these are exceptions. 90% is correct (I'm about halfway). Great book in my opinion, especially when you are into production details and background facts.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 9, 2017 00:22

Also, which songs are omitted?
I have heard there are plenty they have missed.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 9, 2017 06:15

I'd love to hear more, but no one, and I mean no one, will get it perfect. And this IORR community will find every single mistake!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 9, 2017 19:41

Blueranger

I am not at home but from what I recall outtakes are omitted. Some covers that were only played live are omitted. They omitted tracks from video releases. I believe if I remember correctly they omitted tracks like Little Baby from Stripped which was a studio cover version. This is just from memory. However, they included the live cover of Little Queenie from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 19:43 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 9, 2017 20:12

boogaloojef
Blueranger

I am not at home but from what I recall outtakes are omitted. Some covers that were only played live are omitted. They omitted tracks from video releases. I believe if I remember correctly they omitted tracks like Little Baby from Stripped which was a studio cover version. This is just from memory. However, they included the live cover of Little Queenie from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

How can they get it figured out to exclude Little Baby?
It was arguable the best thing on the Stripped album,

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 9, 2017 20:17

Blueranger
boogaloojef
Blueranger

How can they get it figured out to exclude Little Baby?
It was arguable the best thing on the Stripped album,

Crazy isn't it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home