Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24
Re: The Quiet One ~ documentary about Bill
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 18, 2019 23:53

Cristiano Radtke

The film reveals that you are an almost obsessive collector. What is your most valuable piece?
Hard to say, my collection now contains more than 25,000 rarities. I can not really separate myself from things, that probably has something to do with the war. Quite valuable are my two three-dimensional copies of our album "Their Satanic Majesties Request" from 1967. There are only three of them.

Interesting.

I have seen one of those on on a wall in an office in Chelsea. I had no idea that they were considered so valuable. It's a bit larger than an LP cover.

The 3-D lenticular effect is very effective at that size, and I distinctly recall feeling a bit disorientated/giddy looking at it!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 19, 2019 00:07

Oh wow, Bill Wyman please invite Matt Lee over to your house.

Thank you for posting article here. I studied on my own Marc Chagall and appreciate Bill Wyman’s intelligent. I am also a fan/ owner of his books.
And I quite like his bass playing.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 19, 2019 00:11

Lovely interview. Sounds as though, health wise things are looking good.
Also...more music, books and photo exhibitions around the corner.
He's a gem!

Date: January 19, 2019 06:49

Cristiano Radtke
Bill Wyman (82) about his youth in the war, the painter Chagall and the biggest rock band in the world

"Since I left the Stones, I feel free"

From the poor war child to the member of the biggest rock band in the world: Bill Wyman (82) talks about his unique life in this BLICK interview.

Bill Wyman with wife Suzanne and daughters Matilda, Jessica and Katherine (from left) 2016 in London/Getty Images

He has made history: Bill Wyman (82) revolutionized the music with the Rolling Stones. Then suddenly he was tired and left the biggest rock band in the world. Why did he do that?

LOOKING: You are 82 years old, Mr. Wyman. Do you remember the beginning of your life?
Bill Wyman: Oh yes. He was not very happy. I remember the bombs that fell on my hometown of London. And to the iron rations. As a kid I was always hungry.

Do tell.
I saw the artillery battle, I saw the missiles, they did not land on our street, but on the street next door. I ran into our house and hid myself. When I came out a few minutes later, twelve houses had disappeared and shredded all the trees and shrubs in the neighborhood. It was a nightmare.

And the rations?
There were no fruits, hardly any meat. We had to eat dandelion. Sometimes whale meat was distributed. It was like a revelation when, at the end of the war - when I was ten - I first held a banana in my hands. Or chocolate, that was like pure gold!

How did you shape this period of austerity?
Because we had so little to eat, we are all very small. That's really true: All the old guys from the past are still little guys, at most 1.70 meters tall. Of course, the war also influenced my mind: In my later life, I was always very cautious because I knew exactly how transient everything is.

Concrete?
For example, I still hate when my wife throws away food just two days after the expiration date. I have this feeling not only with food, also with clothes. Being poor is an experience you will never forget.

Coming soon is your documentary film "The Quiet One" in the cinemas. In it you show yourself from your most intimate side. Was not it difficult to be so vulnerable?
No, that was necessary. I did not want to do another documentary about the Rolling Stones, there are plenty of them. My film is about my life, including failures, the war, divorces. On a nimble biography in which everything is beautified, I had zero desire.

The film reveals that you are an almost obsessive collector. What is your most valuable piece?
Hard to say, my collection now contains more than 25,000 rarities. I can not really separate myself from things, that probably has something to do with the war. Quite valuable are my two three-dimensional copies of our album "Their Satanic Majesties Request" from 1967. There are only three of them.

How alive are your memories of the 60s?
They are still very present. At that time, we were at the center of a hurricane. The kids chased us to the concerts, we were in the newspapers every day, we were under constant police protection. You can hardly imagine that today. The fans camped in front of our houses for months. Our whole life was controlled, I could not go for a minute with my little son Stephen in the park undisturbed.

Unlike Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, you have never taken drugs. Why not?
Two reasons: I do not like losing control; and I was older and already a father, so I already had responsibility. Mick and Keith did not have that, so they kept celebrating parties. It was not always easy for my family.

Why not?
I remember a neighbor who once asked my boy how I was doing. His answer: "I do not know, Daddy lives on a plane." That's when I realized how absurd my life really is.

They remained loyal to the Stones for decades afterward. Why?
Probably for fear of breaking out of this cosmos. I did not know another life. My father took me early from school because we were so poor. He was against me becoming a musician. I prevailed and became very successful. You do not just throw everything back.

Your father was very strict. You'll talk about that in your film.
Right. But that was the generation of that time. And the generation before that was even stricter. I forgave my father long ago because he did not act with malicious intent. My parents have never hugged me, never told me that they love me. Love and affection did not exist in those times. I learned to show emotions much later. My current wife was a great help to me in this regard.

What kind of father are you?
Besides my son Stephen, born in 1962, I have three daughters, all born in the 90s. I raised her with more understanding and forbearance than Stephen. Because I also changed a lot. I always try to be there for you. And to help them with honesty. We are all very close.

In the 70s you moved to the south of France and got to know the painter Marc Chagall. How did he influence you?
He became a good friend of mine. Through him, I realized again that you can see beauty even in small everyday things - a flower, an old house, a sunset. I had completely forgotten that in the turbulent sixties, when I was blinded by fame and the many extreme experiences. Chagall was very important for my self-discovery. He showed me how unhealthy it is to live in extremes.

In 1993 you left the Rolling Stones. Have you never regretted the decision?
Not a single second, God is my witness! In 1993, the other Stones were in Ireland to record an album. With it we wanted to go on world tour the next years again. I just did not feel like it anymore. Back then I got together with my ex-girlfriend Suzanne, we got married, got our wonderful daughters. I wanted to be with my new family. My exit was like a liberation. It was as if I had been given a new life.

In what way?
My private life until then was a disaster. I also had financial problems. I left everything behind with my exit. Since I'm out, I feel free and more productive than ever. Since then I have written nine books. My photos are exhibited all over the world. I ran archeology, discovered Roman sites that nobody knew. I played charity cricket for years, meeting every famous athlete in the world.

You have never given up the music.
No. We are still playing concerts with my band The Rhythm Kings. Sure, slightly smaller than before, but no less fulfilling. My life is really very rich. That would not be it, if I hit the strings today for the Stones.

Do you still have contact with the other Stones?
Why, surely. Anyone who has been through so much for so long, stays connected for a lifetime. We visit each other, send us Christmas presents and birthday greeting cards. The boys are part of my family. The beauty of our relationship today: It's not about business anymore.

Do you still have dreams?
Hundreds! I want to write more books, take more photos, compose songs. And spend more time with the family. I am very aware that my clock is ticking. That puts me under additional pressure. Maybe that's why I get up a bit earlier every morning. Yesterday, for example, at half past three. That's not the rule though (laughs).

What else is different in old age?
Everything becomes more leisurely. Fortunately, the prostate cancer I got ill in 2016 disappeared. The doctor says I'm better together than ten years ago. Well, I finally stopped smoking recently (laughs). I'm not one of those people who complain about old age. I think that's terrible.

Why?
The age has charm, the age is a lot of beauty. Last week I went to eat with four friends. With my 82 I was the youngest of the round. Age is always subjective. What I know with certainty: I will do nothing to artificially stop the age. And I forbid that to my wife too.

Your life motto?
I am a very logical person. I have some obsessive-compulsive disorder, everything has to be in the right place with me. I can not start eating if the knife and fork are not properly placed next to the plate. My books and plates are all arranged alphabetically. Precision, punctuality, decency, friendliness, such things are important to me. But that's probably not a life motto, right?

They will be performing at the Worldwebforum in Zurich next week. What will you talk about?
About everything, I have no secrets. I can tell a lot, not only the old robber stories with the Stones. Most of them are very funny. I will talk about the little guy who grew up during the Second World War, later conquered the world and eventually sacked everything to start a new life. And so damn happy.

A nice story.
Yes. It's the best story ever (laughs).

Bill Wyman is a guest at the Worldwebforum , which takes place on Thursday, January 17, and Friday, January 18, in Zurich. More information at worldwebforum.com

Original article (written in German): [www.blick.ch]

English translation (via Google Translator): [translate.google.com.br]

*reading all the way through, wisdom, clarity, thank you.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 19, 2019 07:10

'well it's the best story ever,'
said Bill?

super.
beautiful.
earned and deserved.
the only one really savaged that viscerally by the War,
and an entire earlier generation's values, understandings
and experiences to some extent.
he's my hero and i don't even play bass.
well i want to get one, but he has def influenced me musically
in lots of regards. Rhythmically certainly, for probably every fan
deep enough to join up here .... but also the attitude, maybe even
the look. As a kid of 12 when they first broke in the States,
Bill's visage meant every bit to me as any of them, and that
continued through the 60's and i sincerely doubt i'm in the minority
of that generation of fans that are a little more committed than
average music fans....
this is very satisfying. this is super; this would be my every wish
for him and more. it's everything; he's made it to old age thru
terribly scary unsettling stuf; the biggest horned goat or 'em all
settled into understanding himself and moving on with ethics and
a sense of normalcy, personal achievement and security....
....he has influenced my writing and playing and rock and roll heart
as much as any of them. just super Bill! you da Man!!! yessss
incredibly gifted, and emotional, and professional even when
some of the others were slipping here and there....
bill!!!!

Re: bill wyman is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One
Date: January 19, 2019 07:25

duke richardson
hopkins
MisterDDDD
Bill definitely was the quiet one.

But both share the unbelievably poor $$ decision to quit the band right before they got into big (& bigger) money..

Bill claims to not have a regret about retiring from The Stones. I think he stayed quite a bit longer than he had wanted to frankly.
Well at least he has said as much. I believe him;
Taylor wanted out too; he thinks, or has said that he thinks getting out of there might have saved his actual very life.

I think Bill, in most every significant, important and indelible way, will NEVER really 'leave' The Rolling Stones.
A foundational member bringing that kind of original unique presence that defined this very band, as much as the other members, minimally.
He made 20 out of their 24 albums. The four he missed were not definitional Rolling Stones albums, tho there are some tracks I do honestly love since he's gone. Not a whole hell of a lot of them though. And nothing that would not have been better had he been there....imfo.
Somehow I don't see Bill, saying to himself
"God what was I thinking!!!?? I could have done Bridges to Babylon!!!"
I think HE thinks that 25 or 30 or so years was quite enough.
He was on that big SW tour; he knew there would be big bucks spectacle and loads of cash to stay. It didn't come as a regretful shock.
He made history. He IS a fascinating and deeply essential part OF rock and roll.

He brought his OWN style; even his own stance.Certainly his personality and presence, He's imo always been pretty honest and up front when asked most anything about them; so I think a docu with more intensive interviews and such would be fascinating historical document, or could be....
The Glims were just too detached and entitled and arrogant to really understand the big hole that Bill would leave....Keith realized it when it was finally going down and pretty much begged, past cajoling but Bill was on the way out.

Mick was all cavalier b.s. to paraphrase; 'oh it's not like that's a hard instrument; i could play bass anybody could play bass; it's not like playing bass in the Stones is a hard job'
and other such distracting nonsensical posturing, knowing at heart he had somehow cut a huge whole out of the essence of that band.
Keith was miserable when it sunk it what had happened when Bill was actually finally out; he was not coming back...
they were working him; thinking he'd stay; he'd always been there. He wasn't window dressing; he was driving that train....

To understand how great Bill is in one easy step; think of the dynamic classic Keith bass guitar that drives the studio sftd,
one of the greatest most important and perfect studio cuts of all time in rock and roll....
...now listen to Bill do sftd on ya yas.
Case closed.
Bill owns that spot. Bill is the once, future and always bass player for The Rolling Stones, no matta what they tell ya or sell ya...

Love to see Bill's docu; I am so happy I saw him with them several times.
I've never seen them without him and am not likely to actually...

Almost every important essential thing they did, they did when Bill was a full on Rolling Stone...
I do not think he regrets leaving and i do not think he is hurting for cash or comfort.

um..
>>To understand how great Bill is in one easy step; think of the dynamic classic Keith bass guitar that drives the studio sftd,
one of the greatest most important and perfect studio cuts of all time in rock and roll....
...now listen to Bill do sftd on ya yas.
Case closed.
<<

okay, those are two examples of fine bass playing, no argument..
but to imply that Bill's lines on live SFTD are way better ( which is what I think youre implying) ...i think maybe different but both served the song well

no no i try really hard not to make those kind of comparisons.
i think when i do it, or see it being done, it's often a false equivalency
based on personal preferences. i am perfectly happy with the way sftd happened
in the studio with Keith; it's very important part of the song's history and even rock and roll history that he played that; it's perfect.
the mention was an attempt at pointing out what i call the 'jazz,' meaning
when i use it in this context, not the 'style' or classification of the music'techincally, but with true 'heart' and 'soul' players, it seems they
don't play it twice the same way; as the great studio classic studio players
would; even if they contributed original ideas to the arrangement...

...like they would have enough technical skills to just riff away, listening
and resonding to the other players, driving and floating, sticking and jabbing like Muhammad Ali.
Bill had that kind of togetherness during the '75 tour when other things were sometimes needing steady hands on the wheel and all that...

...i still rather think he's way under-rated, and certainly calculatedly
removed from their publicity unless it's one of those remasters with
original art they won't photoshop him out of...
...i don't have a campaign to get people to know, i mean, even
in the original fan generations; i don't suspect Bill much cares,
and has plenty of notariety, more than he needed he says, and i
do believe him. i was at the SW concert in L.A, that Guns and Roses
opened....and it was the last time I saw them live...
...i've seen 'em with taylor twice and also with ron, never yet with
Darryl but would love to someday; not likely with the crowds and prices,
but i love 'em and follow each stop every tour best i can thru it all.
God bless ya, Bill. GREAT to see all this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-19 07:29 by hopkins.

Re: bill wyman is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 19, 2019 11:36

thanks Cristiano for the interview with Bill.
jeroen

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 19, 2019 17:19

runrudolph
jeroen

Agreed....Thanks much Cristiano.....very uplifting

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 19, 2019 20:15

MisterO
runrudolph
jeroen

Agreed....Thanks much Cristiano.....very uplifting

Yes that was fantastic - thanks. thumbs up

This documentary, along with Keith's Talk is Cheap Deluxe, and the upcoming Stones tour...good times!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 19, 2019 21:17

THE QUIET ONE is a feature documentary offering a unique behind-the-scenes look at the highs and lows of the life of Bill Wyman, former founding member of the Rolling Stones and Renaissance man of rock’n’roll. The film is currently in post-production and has signed a sales deal with New York based Submarine Entertainment and a North American distribution deal with IFC/Sundance Selects. A release in summer 2018 is planned.

This phenomenal archive has never been available to filmmakers before.

Throughout his life Bill Wyman shot hours of “unseen” film footage, took thousands of photographs and collected a vast archive of memorabilia. Bill also kept a detailed diary to accompany these treasures.

The film uses this private, one of a kind collection alongside interviews with Bill’s family and friends to take the audience on a first hand journey through Bill’s life.

Exploring his childhood in the war, the golden age of Rock & Roll and life in the present day, these are the experiences and stories of an amusing, engaging and down-to- earth man; often simply called ‘The Quiet One’.

Director: Oliver Murray
Producer: Jamie Clark
Producer: Jason Bick
Producer: Jennifer Corcoran
Executive Producer: Charlotte Arden
Executive Producer: Peter Dunphy

[gizmofilms.com]

Date: January 19, 2019 23:18

Cristiano Radtke

THE QUIET ONE is a feature documentary offering a unique behind-the-scenes look at the highs and lows of the life of Bill Wyman, former founding member of the Rolling Stones and Renaissance man of rock’n’roll. The film is currently in post-production and has signed a sales deal with New York based Submarine Entertainment and a North American distribution deal with IFC/Sundance Selects. A release in summer 2018 is planned.

This phenomenal archive has never been available to filmmakers before.

Throughout his life Bill Wyman shot hours of “unseen” film footage, took thousands of photographs and collected a vast archive of memorabilia. Bill also kept a detailed diary to accompany these treasures.

The film uses this private, one of a kind collection alongside interviews with Bill’s family and friends to take the audience on a first hand journey through Bill’s life.

Exploring his childhood in the war, the golden age of Rock & Roll and life in the present day, these are the experiences and stories of an amusing, engaging and down-to- earth man; often simply called ‘The Quiet One’.

Director: Oliver Murray
Producer: Jamie Clark
Producer: Jason Bick
Producer: Jennifer Corcoran
Executive Producer: Charlotte Arden
Executive Producer: Peter Dunphy

[gizmofilms.com]

That's an incredible photograph, thank you Christiano. For all of this info.
This photo is a revelation for me personally...
...the obsessively perfect battalion line of writing instruments,
ready for any contingency; plenty of backup, at the Ready for
diverse deployment, ready for battle,
he knows what real cross fire hurricane is, and maybe the only one of 'em outside of metaphor and, well, sympathy, for all those countrymen vaporized,
exploded and lost, who actually has BEEN in and SEEN a crossfire hurricane.
(he wrote that song too, lol)--
well at least THE RIFF !
( discuss,drinking smileysmiling smileysmoking smiley haha)
Bill's the real deal in so many ways...
this foto will be one of my all time fave rock and roll fotos,
and WAAAAYY up there at the Top. Grand stuff from Grandpa.
keep on rockin' Bill. Thanks Christiano, this is a super thread. Lovin' it,
and will never forget. yesssss

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 19, 2019 23:27

Good. He sounds strong again. I thought he'd been fading. Hell, he's been busy. Sure hope there's still Wyman era Stones in the vault for soon release.

Date: January 19, 2019 23:29

hopkins
Cristiano Radtke

That's an incredible photograph, thank you Christiano.

My pleasure, hopkins! smileys with beer

This one ain't bad, either!

[www.imdb.com]

Date: January 19, 2019 23:34

wow, Thank you.
i breezed right by it in a hurry to write the following,
I so appreciate these shots. It's an amazing story of 'redemption'
and all that, but I'm as concerned about Bill as much as any and
all of the rest of them. There's been so much tragedy amidst the
grace and fun excitement from time to time.

Thanks for these wonderful pix...smileys with beer
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I realize poverty doesn't necessarily represent dignity per se and all that...
...but Bill's hard disciplinarian Dad, his stark poverty during actual War
time he remembers viscerally, and Keith has only vauge memories of sirens
and some other interesting stuff, but was a very much younger child, more
a toddler, and Bill was more fully sentient in a way i can understand,
because I start remembering a LOT of very specific memories and personal
tastes and priorities at 12 that I didn't have at 9 or 10. Never mind
4 or 5, like Keith was.
i think all this makes it into their music from Bill as much as the
writers and other members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-20 07:21 by hopkins.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 19, 2019 23:34

Cristiano Radtke

[www.imdb.com]

Fantastic shots.. Love this one.
Thanks for posting!

Date: January 20, 2019 01:43

MisterDDDD
Cristiano Radtke

[www.imdb.com]

Fantastic shots.. Love this one.
Thanks for posting!

Interesting cast list.
Only contribution is from Charlie; the other Stones are archival interviews.
ALO interviewed though.
No family, or ex wives except Suzanne. Didn't expect Mandy to appear but Astrid surely. A big part of his life, 1967/83 or thereabouts.

Still,looks good....the private footage should be VERY interesting.

Date: February 4, 2019 21:25

"Great lunch at 45 Park Lane today particularly memorable conversation with gallerist Ann Hicks and bassist Bill Wyman (top photo) concerning Bill’s friendship with the artist Marc Chagall during Bill’s years living in Provence. Thank you to curator Lily Ackerman and John Scanlon for hosting the Roy Ackerman lunch. John Scanlon seen here in the bottom photo with friends Bill Wyman, Peter Blake and ever fun, busy, brilliant photographer Richard Young."

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 4, 2019 21:38

84! Fcknhhell! Go Bill!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 4, 2019 23:17

Cristiano Radtke
"Great lunch at 45 Park Lane today particularly memorable conversation with gallerist Ann Hicks and bassist Bill Wyman (top photo) concerning Bill’s friendship with the artist Marc Chagall during Bill’s years living in Provence. Thank you to curator Lily Ackerman and John Scanlon for hosting the Roy Ackerman lunch. John Scanlon seen here in the bottom photo with friends Bill Wyman, Peter Blake and ever fun, busy, brilliant photographer Richard Young."

[www.instagram.com]

What really impresses me is the fact that Bill bothered to shave! Doesn't always bother.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 4, 2019 23:45

Well, heartfelt thank you again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2019 00:48

LEGEND

Date: February 5, 2019 10:47

glad to see Bill is enjoying himself and looking well.
Jeroen

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 5, 2019 12:24

An example of why The Rolling Stones were not the same band after Bill left can be found by listening to "Route 66" live on the EP "Got Live If You Want It" from 1965 (play it loud and close your eyes).
In this recording Bill's playing is all over the fretboard, nothing like the studio version, but "wow!" did he know how to take the song to another level in concert.
This recording is the perfect example of why the Stones were the most exciting live band of the sixties. The music grabbed you and took you to another place.
To be there. To hear it. To see it. To experience it.....in those grey early 60's UK days, when we were still clinging to the 50s and no-one had ever spoken the words "stadium rock"........was beyond words.
I was privileged to be there. It was life changing.
Thank you Bill.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 5, 2019 12:28

Nice interview. Thanks for posting

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 5, 2019 18:48

How come he had financial problems in the 90's?
And it got better after the Stones?

Date: February 5, 2019 19:25

CousinC

Yes, it seems an odd remark. Of course, it's all relative.When he left The Stones he would have owned 3 very impressive properties and presumably got a decent settlement from Stones Inc.
He should also be getting some reasonable income from Stones recordings 1963/93 and all the repacakages. (20% share?).
He will have missed out on the mega bucks touring income but then his recording income (see above), when you consider record sales at the time must have been very impressive.
I can't imagine Bill being behind on his tax liabilities either.
I suspect he's just very cautious, partly because of his very early years and general nature. And of course properties can be costly to maintain.He's still got the Bookeepers mentality in some respects, bless him!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2019 22:19

Nothing about the scandals? The Mandy Smith affair? The thousands of groupies he had? The watered out tea? Nothing?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 6, 2019 00:31

Great thread, thank you all who posted.

Date: February 6, 2019 18:12

jlowe
CousinC

Yes, it seems an odd remark. Of course, it's all relative.When he left The Stones he would have owned 3 very impressive properties and presumably got a decent settlement from Stones Inc.
He should also be getting some reasonable income from Stones recordings 1963/93 and all the repacakages. (20% share?).
He will have missed out on the mega b%ucks touring income but then his recording income (see above), when you consider record sales at the time must have been very impressive.
I can't imagine Bill being behind on his tax liabilities either.
I suspect he's just very cautious, partly because of his very early years and general nature. And of course properties can be costly to maintain.He's still got the Bookeepers mentality in some respects, bless him!

Beekeeper surely??
Jeroen

Date: March 6, 2019 01:00

Tribeca Film Fest: D’Angelo, Woodstock, Bill Wyman Docs Lead Stacked Lineup

Films about Linda Ronstadt, Blind Melon’s Shannon Hoon, Michael Hutchence, Sublime also set to debut

By Jon Blistein

New documentaries about D'Angelo, Woodstock and Rolling Stone bassist Bill Wyman are among the music-themed films to premiere at Tribeca.

Judy Totton/REX/Shutterstock; AP/REX/Shutterstock; Justin Ng/Shutterstock

New documentaries about D’Angelo, Woodstock, Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman and Blind Melon’s late lead singer Shannon Hoon are among the music films set to premiere at the 2019 Tribeca Film Festival.

The stacked lineup also includes films about Linda Ronstadt, Sublime and late INXS frontman Michael Hutchence. Jared Leto is also set to debut his new film, A Day In the Life of America, a collaborative project filmed in all 50 states over the course of a single July 4th. The Tribeca Film Festival will take place April 24th through May 5th in New York City.

The new D’Angelo documentary, Devil’s Pie, was directed by Carine Bijlsma and follows the famously reclusive musician as he prepares for his comeback tour after receding from the public eye following the massive success of his 2000 LP Voodoo.

Filmmaker Barak Goodman, meanwhile, will debut his new film Woodstock: Three Days That Defined a Generation, a retelling of the Woodstock story on its 50th anniversary from the perspective of people who were on the ground. In The Quiet One, director Oliver Murray will examine the life and career of Bill Wyman through hours of previously unseen footage, personal photographs and other items from the bassist’s archives.

Other artist-centric films include Danny Clinch and Taryn Gould’s All I Can Say, which uses intimate video diaries made by Hoon to conduct both an examination of Nineties culture and a philosophical study of fame. Mystify: Michael Hutchence finds director Richard Lowenstein examining the late INXS singer’s life, while The Sound of My Voice will offer a poignant portrait of Linda Ronstadt (Sheryl Crow will deliver a special tribute performance following the latter film’s premiere).

Among the other music-centric documentaries set to premiere at Tribeca are The Remix: Hip Hop X Fashion, which looks at how rap has influenced and altered the world of high fashion, and Other Music, a profile of the acclaimed New York City record store of the same name, which closed in 2016.

The Tribeca Film Fest lineup will also feature the previously announced documentary, The Apollo, director Roger Ross Williams’ deep dive into the history and inner-workings of the legendary Harlem theater. The film features a slew of archival footage, plus interviews with artists like Pharrell Williams, Smokey Robinson, Patti LaBelle and Jamie Foxx.

The festival will also host a special performance from Spinal Tap after a 35th anniversary screening of the groundbreaking rock mockumentary, This Is Spinal Tap. And Ben Stiller will reunite with Reality Bites cast mates Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, Janeane Garofalo and Steve Zahn for a special 25th anniversary event.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home