Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24
Re: bill wyman is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 18, 2017 17:46

JJHMick
Regarding that money issue:
Bill stated in an interview for a German magazine that Mick Taylor wanted be paid out when he left. And he sure must have received a lot of money!
Bill also said (quote) "I was cleverer than Mick" and more furture conscious and only left the band as a musician and a shareholder.
So, whenever f.e. Angie is played on the radio Mick J and Keith get the composer's and the artist's fare and Charlie AND Bill the artist's fare. Wasn't Marianne Faithfull saying something like I lived on the sales of Sticky Fingers (thus including her lyrics for Sister Morphine) for years?!

Taylor was annoyed when Bill made that statement and disputed some or all of it. Wyman more or less then took part of the assertion back. Doubt I'll find the citations for what is basically minutiae to most, but probably came across it on this board within the last several years.

Re: bill wyman is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 18, 2017 18:04

hopkins
MisterDDDD

Mick was all cavalier b.s. to paraphrase; 'oh it's not like that's a hard instrument; i could play bass anybody could play bass; it's not like playing bass in the Stones is a hard job'
and other such distracting nonsensical posturing, knowing at heart he had somehow cut a huge whole out of the essence of that band.

I remember that! Although according to Bill, Mick Jagger did in fact lobby him pretty hard personally to stay, so there's that...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 18, 2017 18:25

SweetThing
hopkins
MisterDDDD

Mick was all cavalier b.s. to paraphrase; 'oh it's not like that's a hard instrument; i could play bass anybody could play bass; it's not like playing bass in the Stones is a hard job'
and other such distracting nonsensical posturing, knowing at heart he had somehow cut a huge whole out of the essence of that band.
yes so when meant most needed his famed business Acumen and prowess...when it really counted most and directly affected the absolutecredibility, impact and power of his own Miracle creation... He was asleep at the wheel. He couldn't negotiate it. He created and unfriendly in personal and environment with his most rooted and Miracle Rhythm Section. Oops sorry I'm messing up this post..using sketchy mobile.Will fix when home. Summer disabilities challenges...minor but aggravating injury last week....Please excuse for now........
I remember that! Although according to Bill, Mick Jagger did in fact lobby him pretty hard personally to stay, so there's that...
.yes I'm sure he did when it was too late he was quick to the photoshopper however.

Re: The Quiet One ~ documentary about Bill
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 20, 2017 00:43

These links seem to have been removed. Refer [iorr.org]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 20, 2017 10:50

The famous Stones lurch that Charlie and Keith and Ronnie still love to talk about left with Bill. But it is not just rhythmically that he is missed. The rubbery sound of many of his tracks, the imagination on live stage ( did he EVER play the same thing twice?) was vital in Stones music.
I do believe DJ has picked a few things up, but nowhere near the real Stones sound. Bill wasn't big on hanging on the rootnote; something DJ does way too much IMO.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 17, 2019 21:05

Bill conducted a Q&A at the Worldwebforum 2019 in Zürich today. According to their website, Bill is currently promoting his current project, “The Quiet One”.

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 17, 2019 21:21

thanks for the info , Cristiano !!smileys with beerhot smiley
Noor

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 17, 2019 21:28

Aah.... thanks Cristiano and what a venue.
Zurich is a favourite location of mine (my Grandfather was born near by).
Bill looks well which is the main thing but let's hope we see the documentary fairly soon. Bill is long overdue this sort of recognition.

Date: January 17, 2019 21:48

My pleasure, folks! There was a livestream of today's events, but for legal reasons Bill's Q&A couldn't be streamed.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 17, 2019 22:07

RoughJusticeOnYa
TheflyingDutchman
I always thought Taylor was the quiet one. Not on stage of course.

Exactly. I always thought of (& heared reference to) MT as 'the quiet one ';
Bill was (the) 'stone-face(-d)'.

whateverrr

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 17, 2019 22:08

I loved it when Mick would introduce Bill as the "OX" and he belted out My Wife

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 17, 2019 22:14

hopkins
MisterDDDD
Bill definitely was the quiet one.

But both share the unbelievably poor $$ decision to quit the band right before they got into big (& bigger) money..

Bill claims to not have a regret about retiring from The Stones. I think he stayed quite a bit longer than he had wanted to frankly.
Well at least he has said as much. I believe him;
Taylor wanted out too; he thinks, or has said that he thinks getting out of there might have saved his actual very life.

I think Bill, in most every significant, important and indelible way, will NEVER really 'leave' The Rolling Stones.
A foundational member bringing that kind of original unique presence that defined this very band, as much as the other members, minimally.
He made 20 out of their 24 albums. The four he missed were not definitional Rolling Stones albums, tho there are some tracks I do honestly love since he's gone. Not a whole hell of a lot of them though. And nothing that would not have been better had he been there....imfo.
Somehow I don't see Bill, saying to himself
"God what was I thinking!!!?? I could have done Bridges to Babylon!!!"
I think HE thinks that 25 or 30 or so years was quite enough.
He was on that big SW tour; he knew there would be big bucks spectacle and loads of cash to stay. It didn't come as a regretful shock.
He made history. He IS a fascinating and deeply essential part OF rock and roll.

He brought his OWN style; even his own stance.Certainly his personality and presence, He's imo always been pretty honest and up front when asked most anything about them; so I think a docu with more intensive interviews and such would be fascinating historical document, or could be....
The Glims were just too detached and entitled and arrogant to really understand the big hole that Bill would leave....Keith realized it when it was finally going down and pretty much begged, past cajoling but Bill was on the way out.

Keith was miserable when it sunk it what had happened when Bill was actually finally out; he was not coming back...
they were working him; thinking he'd stay; he'd always been there. He wasn't window dressing; he was driving that train....

To understand how great Bill is in one easy step; think of the dynamic classic Keith bass guitar that drives the studio sftd,
one of the greatest most important and perfect studio cuts of all time in rock and roll....
...now listen to Bill do sftd on ya yas.
Case closed.
Bill owns that spot. Bill is the once, future and always bass player for The Rolling Stones, no matta what they tell ya or sell ya...

Love to see Bill's docu; I am so happy I saw him with them several times.
I've never seen them without him and am not likely to actually...

Almost every important essential thing they did, they did when Bill was a full on Rolling Stone...
I do not think he regrets leaving and i do not think he is hurting for cash or comfort.

um..
>>To understand how great Bill is in one easy step; think of the dynamic classic Keith bass guitar that drives the studio sftd,
one of the greatest most important and perfect studio cuts of all time in rock and roll....
...now listen to Bill do sftd on ya yas.
Case closed.
<<

okay, those are two examples of fine bass playing, no argument..
but to imply that Bill's lines on live SFTD are way better ( which is what I think youre implying) ...i think maybe different but both served the song well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 22:16 by duke richardson.

Date: January 17, 2019 22:30

i think Bill really , with Charlie, makes/ made the organic sound for the Stones.

forget about Micks Voice, Keef n Ronnies/Mick/Brian guitars, Ians piano.

When Bill left, the Swagger left. The rough, the sex , the dirt left.

Ofcourse, after WW 3, after the DW album , everything changed.
with Steel Wheels, the Las Vegas Period started.

The Anger, the Darkness went.
Keef n Mick lost their flow, their inspiration.

But when Bill left, everything left..
the band has never been the same since Bill left

Still Love them to bits. love the band.

Seen them 38 times since 1976.

But..

the waiting is for Keef's Talk is cheap, deluxe.

I think that says it all.

Noor

Date: January 17, 2019 23:15

There is no accounting for taste...but imho No Wyman means No Stones sound anymore.

Regardless...this documentary is one of the best news in a long long long time.

Date: January 17, 2019 23:18

A short clip from Bill's Q&A: [www.instagram.com]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 18, 2019 04:12

As a bass player, I never fully appreciated Bill's playing until I joined a Stones tribute band and really listened to him on the live recordings, bootlegs and all.
It's true he rarely played the exact same lines twice, and was responsible for a large part of the rhythmic 'wobble' as he describes it.
How he was able to play so fluidly yet still be a microsecond ahead of Keith and Charlie was what gave them their drive and danger.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2019 06:02

I love the way Bill is dressed. Never the most sartorially gifted, here he simply looks like an old pensioner pulling clothes and shoes out of the bargain bin. Look at those shoes! (Listening to Brussels '73 in the car. Bill and Charlie were smokin'.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 18, 2019 07:04

runrudolph

Noor

You don't have to answer, Jeroen, but how did you change all your posts to runrudolph and why are you now signing your name as Noor? If it's personal, I'll happily delete this question, but this is one of the more fascinating things to have happened around here since something that is probably unmentionable.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 18, 2019 07:09

Cristiano Radtke
A short clip from Bill's Q&A: [www.instagram.com]

Thank you! Bill looks good, I appreciate him doing the Quiet One, looking forward.

Date: January 18, 2019 07:11

runrudolph
i think Bill really , with Charlie, makes/ made the organic sound for the Stones.

forget about Micks Voice, Keef n Ronnies/Mick/Brian guitars, Ians piano.

When Bill left, the Swagger left. The rough, the sex , the dirt left.

Ofcourse, after WW 3, after the DW album , everything changed.
with Steel Wheels, the Las Vegas Period started.

The Anger, the Darkness went.
Keef n Mick lost their flow, their inspiration.

But when Bill left, everything left..
the band has never been the same since Bill left

Still Love them to bits. love the band.

Seen them 38 times since 1976.

But..

the waiting is for Keef's Talk is cheap, deluxe.

Noor

The sex left? Nah.

Date: January 18, 2019 10:52

Rocky Dijon
runrudolph

Noor

You don't have to answer, Jeroen, but how did you change all your posts to runrudolph and why are you now signing your name as Noor? If it's personal, I'll happily delete this question, but this is one of the more fascinating things to have happened around here since something that is probably unmentionable.

Hullo Rocky,
I changed my username because among other things i was fed up with it. i signed with Noor. That was the name of our dog who passed away 2 years ago.
No other important reasons but those.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 18, 2019 20:03

Well, Jeroen, I think that's a first where an iorrian was able to change a username instead of simply creating a new identity and starting over so congratulations on blazing a trail.

I am very sorry about your Noor. My dog and our cats mean more to me than just about anyone I'll ever know. They are family in the truest sense of the word. I initially thought you were signing off as Noor Alfallah which seemed interesting to say the least.

Date: January 18, 2019 20:08

Rocky Dijon
Well, Jeroen, I think that's a first where an iorrian was able to change a username instead of simply creating a new identity and starting over so congratulations on blazing a trail.

I am very sorry about your Noor. My dog and our cats mean more to me than just about anyone I'll ever know. They are family in the truest sense of the word. I initially thought you were signing off as Noor Alfallah which seemed interesting to say the least.

Hahahahahahahaha.
Good One Rocky.
Ciao

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 18, 2019 20:57

Cristiano Radtke
Bill conducted a Q&A at the Worldwebforum 2019 in Zürich today. According to their website, Bill is currently promoting his current project, “The Quiet One”.

[www.instagram.com]

Still leering at chicks in the crowd!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 18, 2019 20:59

With Bill, great rock and roll band

Without him, great rock band

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 18, 2019 21:33

Elmo Lewis
With Bill, great rock and roll band

Without him, great rock band

there ya go.
12 words saying mo bettah than i couldn't quite say with such poignance using 1200 words.
i guess my nervous system tells me that ol' Elmo is spot on w this analysis.

Date: January 18, 2019 21:49

Thank you!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2019 22:01

Blue shoes, with brown socks. He just doesn't care.

Date: January 18, 2019 22:07

Elmo Lewis
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Still leering at chicks in the crowd!

I thought it was more: why are these people laughing, what I am saying is not funny, sure seem an excited lot.
Whatever saw Mick 2 weeks ago.

Date: January 18, 2019 22:33

Bill Wyman (82) about his youth in the war, the painter Chagall and the biggest rock band in the world

"Since I left the Stones, I feel free"

From the poor war child to the member of the biggest rock band in the world: Bill Wyman (82) talks about his unique life in this BLICK interview.

Bill Wyman with wife Suzanne and daughters Matilda, Jessica and Katherine (from left) 2016 in London/Getty Images

He has made history: Bill Wyman (82) revolutionized the music with the Rolling Stones. Then suddenly he was tired and left the biggest rock band in the world. Why did he do that?

LOOKING: You are 82 years old, Mr. Wyman. Do you remember the beginning of your life?
Bill Wyman: Oh yes. He was not very happy. I remember the bombs that fell on my hometown of London. And to the iron rations. As a kid I was always hungry.

Do tell.
I saw the artillery battle, I saw the missiles, they did not land on our street, but on the street next door. I ran into our house and hid myself. When I came out a few minutes later, twelve houses had disappeared and shredded all the trees and shrubs in the neighborhood. It was a nightmare.

And the rations?
There were no fruits, hardly any meat. We had to eat dandelion. Sometimes whale meat was distributed. It was like a revelation when, at the end of the war - when I was ten - I first held a banana in my hands. Or chocolate, that was like pure gold!

How did you shape this period of austerity?
Because we had so little to eat, we are all very small. That's really true: All the old guys from the past are still little guys, at most 1.70 meters tall. Of course, the war also influenced my mind: In my later life, I was always very cautious because I knew exactly how transient everything is.

Concrete?
For example, I still hate when my wife throws away food just two days after the expiration date. I have this feeling not only with food, also with clothes. Being poor is an experience you will never forget.

Coming soon is your documentary film "The Quiet One" in the cinemas. In it you show yourself from your most intimate side. Was not it difficult to be so vulnerable?
No, that was necessary. I did not want to do another documentary about the Rolling Stones, there are plenty of them. My film is about my life, including failures, the war, divorces. On a nimble biography in which everything is beautified, I had zero desire.

The film reveals that you are an almost obsessive collector. What is your most valuable piece?
Hard to say, my collection now contains more than 25,000 rarities. I can not really separate myself from things, that probably has something to do with the war. Quite valuable are my two three-dimensional copies of our album "Their Satanic Majesties Request" from 1967. There are only three of them.

How alive are your memories of the 60s?
They are still very present. At that time, we were at the center of a hurricane. The kids chased us to the concerts, we were in the newspapers every day, we were under constant police protection. You can hardly imagine that today. The fans camped in front of our houses for months. Our whole life was controlled, I could not go for a minute with my little son Stephen in the park undisturbed.

Unlike Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, you have never taken drugs. Why not?
Two reasons: I do not like losing control; and I was older and already a father, so I already had responsibility. Mick and Keith did not have that, so they kept celebrating parties. It was not always easy for my family.

Why not?
I remember a neighbor who once asked my boy how I was doing. His answer: "I do not know, Daddy lives on a plane." That's when I realized how absurd my life really is.

They remained loyal to the Stones for decades afterward. Why?
Probably for fear of breaking out of this cosmos. I did not know another life. My father took me early from school because we were so poor. He was against me becoming a musician. I prevailed and became very successful. You do not just throw everything back.

Your father was very strict. You'll talk about that in your film.
Right. But that was the generation of that time. And the generation before that was even stricter. I forgave my father long ago because he did not act with malicious intent. My parents have never hugged me, never told me that they love me. Love and affection did not exist in those times. I learned to show emotions much later. My current wife was a great help to me in this regard.

What kind of father are you?
Besides my son Stephen, born in 1962, I have three daughters, all born in the 90s. I raised her with more understanding and forbearance than Stephen. Because I also changed a lot. I always try to be there for you. And to help them with honesty. We are all very close.

In the 70s you moved to the south of France and got to know the painter Marc Chagall. How did he influence you?
He became a good friend of mine. Through him, I realized again that you can see beauty even in small everyday things - a flower, an old house, a sunset. I had completely forgotten that in the turbulent sixties, when I was blinded by fame and the many extreme experiences. Chagall was very important for my self-discovery. He showed me how unhealthy it is to live in extremes.

In 1993 you left the Rolling Stones. Have you never regretted the decision?
Not a single second, God is my witness! In 1993, the other Stones were in Ireland to record an album. With it we wanted to go on world tour the next years again. I just did not feel like it anymore. Back then I got together with my ex-girlfriend Suzanne, we got married, got our wonderful daughters. I wanted to be with my new family. My exit was like a liberation. It was as if I had been given a new life.

In what way?
My private life until then was a disaster. I also had financial problems. I left everything behind with my exit. Since I'm out, I feel free and more productive than ever. Since then I have written nine books. My photos are exhibited all over the world. I ran archeology, discovered Roman sites that nobody knew. I played charity cricket for years, meeting every famous athlete in the world.

You have never given up the music.
No. We are still playing concerts with my band The Rhythm Kings. Sure, slightly smaller than before, but no less fulfilling. My life is really very rich. That would not be it, if I hit the strings today for the Stones.

Do you still have contact with the other Stones?
Why, surely. Anyone who has been through so much for so long, stays connected for a lifetime. We visit each other, send us Christmas presents and birthday greeting cards. The boys are part of my family. The beauty of our relationship today: It's not about business anymore.

Do you still have dreams?
Hundreds! I want to write more books, take more photos, compose songs. And spend more time with the family. I am very aware that my clock is ticking. That puts me under additional pressure. Maybe that's why I get up a bit earlier every morning. Yesterday, for example, at half past three. That's not the rule though (laughs).

What else is different in old age?
Everything becomes more leisurely. Fortunately, the prostate cancer I got ill in 2016 disappeared. The doctor says I'm better together than ten years ago. Well, I finally stopped smoking recently (laughs). I'm not one of those people who complain about old age. I think that's terrible.

Why?
The age has charm, the age is a lot of beauty. Last week I went to eat with four friends. With my 82 I was the youngest of the round. Age is always subjective. What I know with certainty: I will do nothing to artificially stop the age. And I forbid that to my wife too.

Your life motto?
I am a very logical person. I have some obsessive-compulsive disorder, everything has to be in the right place with me. I can not start eating if the knife and fork are not properly placed next to the plate. My books and plates are all arranged alphabetically. Precision, punctuality, decency, friendliness, such things are important to me. But that's probably not a life motto, right?

They will be performing at the Worldwebforum in Zurich next week. What will you talk about?
About everything, I have no secrets. I can tell a lot, not only the old robber stories with the Stones. Most of them are very funny. I will talk about the little guy who grew up during the Second World War, later conquered the world and eventually sacked everything to start a new life. And so damn happy.

A nice story.
Yes. It's the best story ever (laughs).

Bill Wyman is a guest at the Worldwebforum , which takes place on Thursday, January 17, and Friday, January 18, in Zurich. More information at worldwebforum.com

Original article (written in German): [www.blick.ch]

English translation (via Google Translator): [translate.google.com.br]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home