Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324
Current Page: 24 of 24
Re: The Quiet One - documentary about Bill
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 6, 2020 05:58

It screens tonight on Sky Movies New Zealand at 8:30pm in 3 1/2 hours, i'd better a cuppa tea brewing.

I'll update after the screening

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 09:05 by SKILLS.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 7, 2020 09:06

It was very reflective of Bill's personality which was revealed in Stone Alone, props for speaking about Mandy, would have like to have heard about his signature Bass Lines and the collaborations in the studio.

The Ray Charles segment was poignant and an insight into what he values, imagine not thinking yourself worthy to play alongside a legend whose just asked you to take part. Genuine humility

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 8, 2020 04:29

SKILLS
It was very reflective of Bill's personality which was revealed in Stone Alone, props for speaking about Mandy, would have like to have heard about his signature Bass Lines and the collaborations in the studio.

The Ray Charles segment was poignant and an insight into what he values, imagine not thinking yourself worthy to play alongside a legend whose just asked you to take part. Genuine humility

I wish someone of intelligence would evaluate Bill's bass playing. Forget the Donald Duck stuff. Basically true, but there was so much more.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 8, 2020 21:29

24FPS
SKILLS

I wish someone of intelligence would evaluate Bill's bass playing. Forget the Donald Duck stuff. Basically true, but there was so much more.

ok what is there about Donald Duck, you mean Dunn, to forget? Bill was unique. he wanted to both anchor the music with Charlie, and to innovate when appropriate. lots of examples.
by the way, Duck Dunn could be thought of more as an accompanist..
Dunn played on soooo many records...

yet Bill found a band he could really gel with, didnt he? He just wanted to, in his words, "lay back and fatten up the sound".

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 11, 2020 17:35

Watched it yesterday on Hulu in the States.
-- The parts about his early life were very revealing. What a traumatic background. I'm sure that played a role in his need to order everything in his life. Also it showed that he was from another generation than his bandmates.
- Also the parts about the band's early days were also good.
- It gives you a good idea of the type of man he is. The fact that he got custody of his son speaks highly of him.
- Drawbacks -- entire decades (the 80s) are covered in a matter of seconds. I wish there was more about his playing (not his live playing) but how the classic Stones sound was achieved in the studio.
The basic problem is that some of the people around him (Mick and Keith) are just more interesting to me, and anytime they showed up, even in passing, they steal one's attention.

Date: January 11, 2020 18:58

duke richardson
24FPS
SKILLS

ok what is there about Donald Duck, you mean Dunn, to forget? Bill was unique. he wanted to both anchor the music with Charlie, and to innovate when appropriate. lots of examples.
by the way, Duck Dunn could be thought of more as an accompanist..
Dunn played on soooo many records...

yet Bill found a band he could really gel with, didnt he? He just wanted to, in his words, "lay back and fatten up the sound".

'Donald Duck'. I've got to quit drinking when I'm on this site. Or more. I'll work on it. He did so much more than fatten the sound. Very sensitive on the melody side. Almost as sensitive as Brian. I'm still curious why, in 1965, he left Brian's side on stage for Keith. Was it to promote Brian/Mick/Keith visually? Or to hear Charlie better?

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 11, 2020 19:22

I saw it a couple of days ago on some danish channel.
I think that it might be the best retrospective account of Stones on screen, It was told from Bill's point of view and that really was great.
It was focussed on the achievements, and didn't bother to be tiny and nasty like Keith in "Life".

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 13, 2020 08:01

Finally found a hd torrent. Really great doc. A truly humble, thoughtful, and slightly bewildered talent. To hear him talk of his own bass approach was quite insightful, though as a bass player, there could've always been more of that.

I read 'Stone Alone' so long ago that a lot his story was new again to me - told with an additional 25+ years behind him.

Nice archival material mixed with many familiars as well.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: January 13, 2020 08:45

Hi mosthigh,

Could you please share the torrent link.

All the Best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-13 08:46 by Heart for Stones.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 13, 2020 16:45

Heart for Stones
Hi mosthigh,

Could you please share the torrent link.

All the Best!

Not sure what the policy is on this board about posting download links, but the site name is torrentgalaxy.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: January 13, 2020 17:22

Thanks. I'll try to find it there.

All the Best!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 13, 2020 18:06

wonderboy
Watched it yesterday on Hulu in the States.
-- The parts about his early life were very revealing. What a traumatic background. I'm sure that played a role in his need to order everything in his life. Also it showed that he was from another generation than his bandmates.
- Also the parts about the band's early days were also good.
- It gives you a good idea of the type of man he is. The fact that he got custody of his son speaks highly of him.
- Drawbacks -- entire decades (the 80s) are covered in a matter of seconds. I wish there was more about his playing (not his live playing) but how the classic Stones sound was achieved in the studio.

Agree with much that you stated so well above. Of course, some of it is glossed over. I didn't expect Bill to make a documentary about his life saying, "I'm a pervert." The truth is most of them have flaws the size of craters. I would also rather have had more honest and revealing accounts of the music. In that sense, I felt the same way after reading LIFE. Biggest problem with THE QUIET ONE is it could have been a mini-series to do justice to the topic for us, not so for the average viewer.

The part in bold about custody of Stephen is the only part that struck me differently. I saw it more as he had the clout to hire better legal representation. It isn't easy for a father to take a son from his mother in court. I have a bias in the way he discussed the situation in STONE ALONE. "I'm famous, I have a right to sleep with anyone I like on the road. If I come home and find my wife is out on a date with someone else, I am stung by her betrayal and can never get over it." I've encountered that situation before among mere mortals. The part that's hard to accept is, if you cheat - they can cheat. You can't justify your actions or claim a moral high ground. It's an even playing field and you both played.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 13, 2020 22:37

It reminds me of John Lennon's divorce from Cynthia (1968). I believe his action mentioned her own adultery.
Presumably his own relationship with Yoko was just spiritual (though I think she may have suffered her first miscarriage by then).
Of course, later on he blamed his legal team. So alright then.
Oh well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-13 22:38 by jlowe.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 5, 2020 12:26

Finally got around to watching this, it was great. I wonder though, did Bill ask Mick and Keith to contribute and they said no or did he not ask them?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 5, 2020 23:06

"The Quiet One" I always identify with the greatest bass player ever in rock and roll: John Entwistle.

Of my three favorite bass parts on Stones records: Live With Me, Miss You and Emotional Rescue....Bill played only one, Miss You, and he was just mimicking the bass line Billy Preston created on the demo. I think he's also missing on some Exile songs. To me, and maybe to the band, Bill was pretty easily replaced in the studio. Not a popular opinion on here, I'm sure.

Date: October 5, 2020 23:10

buffalo7478
"The Quiet One" I always identify with the greatest bass player ever in rock and roll: John Entwistle.

Of my three favorite bass parts on Stones records: Live With Me, Miss You and Emotional Rescue....Bill played only one, Miss You, and he was just mimicking the bass line Billy Preston created on the demo. I think he's also missing on some Exile songs. To me, and maybe to the band, Bill was pretty easily replaced in the studio. Not a popular opinion on here, I'm sure.

And live?

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: October 5, 2020 23:33

Just put your 45RPM of 'I Wanna Be Your Man' on your high end vinyl Hi-Fi and get overwhelmed by Bill's bass playing!!! Loads of other examples on vinyl. Aftermath!!!! (What a MASSIVELY important contribution to the Stones!). Great bands build upwards or outwards from a great rhythm section! ....and the rest became history in this instance!!

Date: October 5, 2020 23:52

buffalo7478

I've never heard Bill play Emotional Rescue. (Maybe there's some early versions?). But his live version on Live With Me if killer, and leaves Keith's studio version in the dust. As for Miss You, he may have taken Preston's basic idea, but Bill gave it a feel. I think some of those songs on Exile would have been better with Bill. But they were too busy shooting up to use him. He is fantastic on Rocks Off, the lead cut.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 6, 2020 00:02

buffalo7478

Imma let you finish but George Harrison was the original "The Quiet One"... winking smiley

Date: October 6, 2020 10:35

No Bill (or charlie) no stones sound.

Date: October 6, 2020 10:54

emotionalbarbecue
No Bill (or charlie) no stones sound.

Happy and YCAGWYW don't have the Stones sound, then winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 9, 2022 03:28

Just finished watching this.

Interesting. Great to see the Stones from Bill's perspective.

My gut reactions...his bad family life through childhood coloured his personality and he did amazingly well despite it.

For all his success, he just strikes me as a sad figure.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 9, 2022 04:22

buffalo7478

I always thought Miss You bass lines were influenced by Mick Taylor’s bass on Fingerprint File.IMO the bass on Live With me sounds like a guitar.Bill was THE bass player and great. Sure, on some tracks Keith or Taylor or Wood played.But the same thing can be said about Keith.Sway, Moonlight Mile, 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, Heaven, EmotionalRescue, Saint of Me,do not have Keith playing guitar.Yet they all have great guitar on them.But Keith is still the musical created andleader of the band.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: April 10, 2022 13:40

Keith leader of the band?So why are everybody in the Keithcamp blame Jagger for every desisjons they do?Keith is not a leader,and has,nt been since early seventies

Date: April 10, 2022 14:35

Taylor1
buffalo7478

I always thought Miss You bass lines were influenced by Mick Taylor’s bass on Fingerprint File.IMO the bass on Live With me sounds like a guitar.Bill was THE bass player and great. Sure, on some tracks Keith or Taylor or Wood played.But the same thing can be said about Keith.Sway, Moonlight Mile, 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, Heaven, EmotionalRescue, Saint of Me,do not have Keith playing guitar.Yet they all have great guitar on them.But Keith is still the musical created andleader of the band.

Keith plays guitar on Emotional Rescue.

Bill copies Keith's bass line live on Live With Me.

Date: April 12, 2022 00:28

DandelionPowderman

Barely. Keith's is much slower, Bill's much faster, more urgent. And the bit at the end of 'Don't you want to live with me' before they start the next verse is not on the record. Bill plays the much better version on Ya Yas and Marquee.

Date: April 12, 2022 08:42

24FPS
DandelionPowderman

Barely. Keith's is much slower, Bill's much faster, more urgent. And the bit at the end of 'Don't you want to live with me' before they start the next verse is not on the record. Bill plays the much better version on Ya Yas and Marquee.

Well, as we hear on both those versions Keith is not 'slower', as he plays the bass line, too smiling smiley

That's what makes the live versions superior, imo.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324
Current Page: 24 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home