Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 21 of 24
Re: The Quiet One - documentary about Bill
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 7, 2019 13:50

sad smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 7, 2019 21:48

Rockman
And Giorgio Gomelsky's film of the early band appears lost forever.

Yes Giorgio says in this interview that it just disappeared

------->>>>> [iorr.org]

Videojames claims he almost tracked it down...
[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 7, 2019 23:24

Green Lady
Harlem Shuffler
Does anyone know where this film can be seen in the UK?

Unfortunately because of the political correctness issues it's unlikely to appear on the BBC as so many other good music docs do: if anyone knows where to find it please let us know.

Which would be quite ridiculous.
BBC regularly show films directed by Polanski...and documentaries about him also.
One of the most popular programmes on UK television is 'East Enders' and a favourite character was one 'Dirty Den'.
The Actor who played him had previously served time for murder.

Crazy times we live in.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 8, 2019 00:50

jlowe
Green Lady
Harlem Shuffler

Unfortunately because of the political correctness issues it's unlikely to appear on the BBC as so many other good music docs do: if anyone knows where to find it please let us know.

BBC regularly show films directed by Polanski...and documentaries about him also.
One of the most popular programmes on UK television is 'East Enders' and a favourite character was one 'Dirty Den'.

Crazy times we live in.

Of course I could easily be wrong, but given the withdrawal of the film from that festival after "complaints" it doesn't seem likely that Auntie BBC will show it anytime soon.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 8, 2019 01:00

Green Lady
jlowe
Green Lady
Harlem Shuffler

Crazy times we live in.

Of course I could easily be wrong, but given the withdrawal of the film from that festival after "complaints" it doesn't seem likely that Auntie BBC will show it anytime soon.

Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary just withdrew from a gig because of blowback over an incident involving him and underage girls in 1970.[www.seattlepi.com]

Posted by: usetobesampeg ()
Date: July 8, 2019 07:21

Mr.D
Too bad so many of you have hidden email addresses...smiling smiley

I don't think mine is hiddensmileys with beer
Cheers,

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: July 8, 2019 08:05

I loved it, well done! Captured the times better than 95% of the pieces I have seen on the band

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 8, 2019 08:30

jlowe
Green Lady
Harlem Shuffler

Crazy times we live in.

Polanski is a favourite of the left, and Leslie Grantham (‘Dirty Den’) was employed at atime when the BBC were less politically correct. Additionally, he served his time for murder and was not a sexual abuser or minors. He departed Eastenders in 2003 and died a year-or-so ago.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 8, 2019 10:40

Green Lady

Not particularly disagreeing, but another big reason could be that as it's available to be watched (for a fee) on quite a long list of streaming sites, it probably won't be made available to any free to air services while that's the case.

I'm just waiting for the Blu-Ray.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 8, 2019 10:57

I suspect it will turn upon Sky Arts at some point for folks not in a huge rush to see it .

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2019 12:39

I've watched it, and I don't know what to say really. Its mildly interesting, its very thin I think. There's lots of footage of Wyman sitting in his chair in his office, with a voice over of Wyman telling 8 times he is a collector and collects many things. But I think the 'unique' footage that you would expect Wyman has, isn't in the movie. There's bits of 8mm film of the Stones hanging around a pool, or arriving airports or leaving airports, but nothing spectacular. There's a few shots of the 1970 and 1973 Winter tour I haven't seen before, one short shot of Keith on stage at MSG 1969, but that's about it. Perhaps some pictures from the early days that were unknown, but if you expect Wyman to open up the vaults this isn't the case. The main interesting thing if you are really a hardcore fan is the bit about his upbringing and background, that at least I didn't know.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 8, 2019 13:39

Yes. We are shown the archive often, but we don't get to actually see all that much from it.

The Peter Whithead footage from Olympic in November 1966 in colour was nice, but all too brief. Hoping that comes out in full.

Posted by: usetobesampeg ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:53

Mr.D
Nice way to start the Day Thank you !!smiling bouncing smileythumbs up

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:11

Maybe some already knew this, but I had never heard what they did, in the early frantic club days, to buy two minutes after the show to get out of the building and into their getaway cars. I don’t want to say it here because I don’t want to spoil it for those who don’t know, but that was very humorous, and really shows what a different world it was in the 60s. I don’t think that method would work in London today, and it never would have worked in the States!

Date: July 9, 2019 01:48

Another interesting screenshot from "The Quiet One".

If it's genuine it claims to be from the Musicians Wanted pages of Melody Maker dated August 18, 1962.
Apparently this is the ad that Tony Chapman responded to.
Note the Dartford phone number, I've always suspected that Mick's was the only family with a phone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2019 03:17

Deltics
Note the Dartford phone number, I've always suspected that Mick's was the only family with a phone

In 1962? Didn't everyone have a phone by then? I know England was a poor country quite some time after the war though.

Date: July 9, 2019 05:41

Deltics
Another interesting screenshot from "The Quiet One".

If it's genuine it claims to be from the Musicians Wanted pages of Melody Maker dated August 18, 1962.
Apparently this is the ad that Tony Chapman responded to.
Note the Dartford phone number, I've always suspected that Mick's was the only family with a phone.

I'm reliably informed that Bill has complete runs of things like MM, NME, Disc (etc), so that's likely genuine.

Date: July 9, 2019 05:45

Stoneage
Deltics
Note the Dartford phone number, I've always suspected that Mick's was the only family with a phone

In 1962? Didn't everyone have a phone by then? I know England was a poor country quite some time after the war though.

Gosh no. My partner's family (in Cornwall) didn't have a phone at home until about 1978, and I only got one in about 1976!

(I had a job in the early 1970's developing big computer systems, and sometimes things went wrong. The (lost profession) Computer Operators had a habit of ringing up people in the middle of the night on the slightest of excuses rather than RTFM. So I gave them my address (not having a phone) and told them that if they had a problem sufficient to come to my place - about 30 mins drive - I'd respect that and get up and helpout. Never happened.)

Date: July 9, 2019 07:34

Watched it yesterday. It was nice, but could have been so much more, imo. But who am I to complain? smiling smiley

Did they know which clips that were rare or not (visuals and music)? I'm not sure about that...

Date: July 9, 2019 10:34

Stoneage
Deltics

No, they certainly didn't

Having a phone was still a bit "posh" in the early '60s...with many folk still not having a TV either , or even a fridge.

I can remember our first TV in about 1965... and "getting the phone in" a year or two later.

We weren't posh , but we weren't poor...my dad being a skilled fitter & engineer and my mum a civil service officer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 10:36 by Spud.

Date: July 9, 2019 10:49

Somehow, you cant help but think the film is potential unfulfilled.
Maybe a more more experienced Director would have helped. Or a more generous budget. Bill's Management "team" (I assume he has one) must be on a very modest scale compared to that of The Stones, quite naturally and this wont help matters either.

At best it seems to be a film made for TV rather than for a Cinema release.
Hopefully DVD release, Blue Ray will follow sometime. Netflix maybe? They showed Keith's documentary I recall.
But any profits will be modest...but then for Bill, money probably wasnt the point of the exercise.

Date: July 9, 2019 11:00

CaptainCorella
Stoneage
Deltics

Gosh no. My partner's family (in Cornwall) didn't have a phone at home until about 1978, and I only got one in about 1976!

(I had a job in the early 1970's developing big computer systems, and sometimes things went wrong. The (lost profession) Computer Operators had a habit of ringing up people in the middle of the night on the slightest of excuses rather than RTFM. So I gave them my address (not having a phone) and told them that if they had a problem sufficient to come to my place - about 30 mins drive - I'd respect that and get up and helpout. Never happened.)

I didn't live in a house with a phone until 1979.

Date: July 9, 2019 11:08

There was a shortage of phone lines in some areas too through the 60s when many more folks started to want one.

Some of us will remember the old "party line" ...where neighbours shared a single line and only one of you could use it at once .

Date: July 9, 2019 12:43

Mr.D

My email is and has always been in full view.

wait a minute...I think I may have already received it. Got to go check.

Was that you Mrd? Thanks a bunch. Very cool.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 12:50 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 9, 2019 13:00

Palace Revolution 2000
Mr.D

No, that was from me, jeroen
Ciao
jeroen

Date: July 9, 2019 13:11

runrudolph
Palace Revolution 2000
Mr.D

No, that was from me, jeroen
Ciao
jeroen

Appreciate it Jeroen.thumbs up

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 9, 2019 17:31

Well, my email is there since YEARS!

Thank you in advance whoever whenever for whatever!

C

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 9, 2019 19:09

Spud
There was a shortage of phone lines in some areas too through the 60s when many more folks started to want one.

Some of us will remember the old "party line" ...where neighbours shared a single line and only one of you could use it at once .

Oh, so that’s what that Kinks song, Party Line, is about!

Date: July 9, 2019 19:19

I wonder if we stones fans exagerate about the quantity and quality of the vaults. There could be a lot less unknown footage and recordings than we think.
Bill might have used the best available footage. Which is logic as it is his film. So...there was not too much to bring to light and there may be not much else to be discovered. Sad? Yes. But...such is life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 19:21 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: July 9, 2019 19:25

emotionalbarbecue
I wonder if we stones fans exagerate about the quantity and quality of the vaults. There could be a lot less unknown footage and recordings than we think.
Bill might have used the best available footage. Which is logic as it is his film. So...there may be not much else to be discovered. Sad? Yes. But...such is life.

Well, only Bill can really answer your question.
And he has not exactly drowned out the Media with PR and Marketing (interviews).
Maybe he was concerned that the Mandy issue would be dragged up, but there are plenty of journals out there who would focus on the Archives and not the tabloid stuff.
Record Collector and Mojo in the UK come to mind.
He could also use his website: Ask Bill or something similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 19:27 by jlowe.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 21 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home