Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24
Re: The Quiet One ~ documentary about Bill
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 17, 2019 16:01

Doxa
paulspendel
This says it all: [meaww.com]

It doesn't look too good for Bill. It didn't look back then and even less today.

Sadly, THE QUIET ONE docu seems to be both the victim and the cause of trouble now. It caused the old topic being hot news again. And who knows where it leads now.

- Doxa

Sadly true. A self-inflicted re-injuring of an old wound.
Looking forward to seeing this still, but not certain it will be on a "big screen" any time soon. Interested to see how the issue is dealt with in the doc.

Produced at the onset of the me too movement, the timing on this was unfortunate.
Feel badly for Bill and always wish him the best, but probably best to pull this from future screenings/festivals and release straight to dvd or streaming.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 17, 2019 16:54

paulspendel

These articles drive me mad.

So in year 2019 this Ms. Jones feels the need to drop a mountain of sh@it over Bill Wyman but forgets to tell us what she did AT THE TIME to stop the alleged "child abuse".

Scared to report to the Police? Bulls@hit!

C

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: April 17, 2019 18:58

Doxa
Palace Revolution 2000
LOL, if you think of it: the quietest one of the bunch, the one who isn't even a Stone anymore, and in his 80's - and STILL they cause controversy.
Stones Rule!

grinning smiley I sometimes feel that in the long run it has been a blessing for the Stones having this controversial, 'bad boy' image, the guys known for their bad behaviour (had it been true or not, intentional or not)...
- Doxa
There's a difference between throwing a tv out a window and having sex with a child... The latter shouldn't be celebrated.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 17, 2019 19:41

What biography of Bill Wyman did Lesley Ann Jones write? So......every one has to stop buying/watching/admit ever listening to anything by Jimmy Page? (A known pedophile). Charlie Chaplin? And you think Mick and others were checking I.D.?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:24

Will Bill 'the quiet one' go down quietly regarding all of this?
Might be best for him to let sleeping dogs lie, though that might be impossible when new stories keep popping up.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:48

I wonder how he explains to his three daughters.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:53

Not to condone behavior that many of us find reprehensible, but ...

Isn't it to at least a certain extent just the human condition to be a mass of contradictions and complexity? Haven't horrible people written novels that moved and inspired centuries of readers? Haven't politicians who are serial philanderers enacted legislation which has made the lives of millions better? Haven't businessman who are rapacious cutthroats also founded schools for the poor which have helped untold numbers of kids that would have otherwise fallen through the cracks?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:54

I hope Bill's film gets a reasonable cinema release.
Ideal also for the excellent UK BBC4 Friday night music films (one on Woody Guthrie coming up shortly).
Also, Bill has done so much more outside of The Stones. Are galleries not going to show his Photography? Shame on them if not.
As has been pointed out though the film should transfer to DVD and then people can make their own choice. I doubt many Stones fans will want to miss it, given that it has a lot of unseen Stones footage, by all accounts.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 17, 2019 21:45

What happened to Rolf Harris, of "Tie Me Kangaroo, Down, Sport" fame is more applicable to this case than "#metoo," along with all the other people who were prosecuted under "Operation Yewtree." Rolf may still be in jail for things he did with very young girls decades ago (and was prosecuted for decades after the fact). The Jimmy Saville scandal in the UK opened a can of worms. Bill is lucky the police weren't interested in his case, and wise that he didn't make a habit of this as far as is known.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2019 01:25

Boognish
Doxa
Palace Revolution 2000
LOL, if you think of it: the quietest one of the bunch, the one who isn't even a Stone anymore, and in his 80's - and STILL they cause controversy.
Stones Rule!

grinning smiley I sometimes feel that in the long run it has been a blessing for the Stones having this controversial, 'bad boy' image, the guys known for their bad behaviour (had it been true or not, intentional or not)...
- Doxa
There's a difference between throwing a tv out a window and having sex with a child... The latter shouldn't be celebrated.

That's right, and that's why I wrote Bill's case is the closest one we should be worried about. Namely, that's the closest one having an actual smoking gun, and not just 'honey, is no rock and roll show'. My interest is not being a moral charge here, but I trust the legal procedure, if that's to be the case. That said, I don't think, no matter how nostalgically romantic some members of the old rock and roll generations are, that of being a poster boy for heroin addiction is something one supposed 'to be celebrated'. In where there supposed to be the justified realm, or not, for being notorious I don't know. That of being simply 'against the law' can't really be the case. Or that of being a 'moral concern'. It's more complicated.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-18 01:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 18, 2019 01:48

20 Tribeca Film Festival Movies We're Most Excited About

2. The Quiet One

The film focuses on artist and original bassist for the Rolling Stones Bill Wyman, dubbed a “man of few words.” Expect to take a peek behind his personal archives, filled with photographs, memorabilia and unseen footage, in addition to interviews with family and friends.

[www.forbes.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 18, 2019 07:07

Doxa
Boognish
Doxa
Palace Revolution 2000
Stones Rule!

- Doxa

That's right, and that's why I wrote Bill's case is the closest one we should be worried about. Namely, that's the closest one having an actual smoking gun, and not just 'honey, is no rock and roll show'. My interest is not being a moral charge here, but I trust the legal procedure, if that's to be the case. That said, I don't think, no matter how nostalgically romantic some members of the old rock and roll generations are, that of being a poster boy for heroin addiction is something one supposed 'to be celebrated'. In where there supposed to be the justified realm, or not, for being notorious I don't know. That of being simply 'against the law' can't really be the case. Or that of being a 'moral concern'. It's more complicated.

- Doxa

What's the Statute of Limitations on such crimes in Britain? Do you have one for such a case?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2019 17:27

24FPS

What's the Statute of Limitations on such crimes in Britain? Do you have one for such a case?

I have no any idea. Thankfully, not my concern. As a Rolling Stones fan I feel bad for Bill, but as a human being also for what he has done. Sad we need to go through shit like this.

- Doxa

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 18, 2019 17:43

paulspendel

Very good thought.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:10

What's different about Bill's case is that he isn't trying to deny or conceal or justify what happened (unlike, say, Rolf Harris). He has spoken to the police ( who he says were not interested in pursuing the matter, at least not at that time.) Bill, as far as we know, is now a different character leading a different life, and Mandy, the victim, isn't interested in digging up the past.
We don't have an official Statute of Limitations, but one of the things that the Crown Prosecution Service would consider, if anybody wanted to start proceedings, is whether it would now be in the public interest to take Bill through the courts so many years later.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 18, 2019 23:34

Cooltoplady
paulspendel

Very good thought.

Just let them read his autobiography where he deals with his sex life including more than 2,000 girls on tour. While married. Which he is very proud of. More than Jagger...
Do you really think Mandy was an isolated event? And that he lived like a monk apart from that?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 18, 2019 23:56

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 19, 2019 00:39

Cooltoplady
paulspendel

Very good thought.

Not only Bill......do we all not know what happend in the 60's, 70's and still happen today probably no one is innocent (except Charlie of course ;o) ....and most of us wouldn't be better.

The Quiet One
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 3, 2019 13:51

The Quiet One review – controversial and evasive Bill Wyman documentary

3 stars

An underdeveloped look at the life of the former Rolling Stone has led to outrage over its portrayal of an alleged sexual predator

Jim Farber
2 May 2019

Photograph: Sundance Selects

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: The Quiet One
Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: May 3, 2019 14:40

The sheer horror his three daughters have to go through right now.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 3, 2019 15:09

Doxa
paulspendel

It doesn't look too good for Bill. It didn't look back then and even less today.

Sadly, THE QUIET ONE docu seems to be both the victim and the cause of trouble now. It caused the old topic being hot news again. And who knows where it leads now.

- Doxa

With the "Me Too" movement in high gear, I suspected sooner or later that Bill's relationship with Mandy was going to be "revisited" in some context.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 3, 2019 15:33

That Guardian article was quite objective really...

..noting that Bill's behaviour, never really hidden , prompted nothing but "harrumphing" at the time .

Attitudes & sensitivities change...and in the absence of any involved parties making any kind of complaint, why can't people just move on ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 15:36 by Spud.

Re: The Quiet One
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 3, 2019 15:42

paulspendel
The sheer horror his three daughters have to go through right now.
Meh.
Not like this is "news" to anyone associated with him. He married her for chrissakes.
I would bet instead of "sheer horror" the feeling is closer to mildly annoyed.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 3, 2019 17:53

Will be interesting to compare Bill's film with the David Crosby documentary film which is coming out soon.
In terms of personality Bill is about as far apart from Crosby as is possible, so expect the latter's film to be very open about his 'private' life.
Still, am hoping to get to see Bill's film, he has had a fascinating life and hopefully many more years (and projects)still to come.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 3, 2019 18:20

Spud
That Guardian article was quite objective really...

..noting that Bill's behaviour, never really hidden , prompted nothing but "harrumphing" at the time .

Attitudes & sensitivities change...and in the absence of any involved parties making any kind of complaint, why can't people just move on ?

Because the mob got a taste of power and they are not going to let go. It is now about tearing people down for things they did 40 years ago despite the fact that the victim in this case is not complaining,

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 3, 2019 18:22

I'm glad they didn't dwell on Bill's relationship with Mandy Smith, or allude to his past sex addictions in this film. That was decades ago and Bill seems like a different person today. He seems more at peace now than the others seem to be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 22:23 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 3, 2019 22:06

Truthfully, I quickly scan/ don’t read all the messages here because I sincerely am done with this topic, shared personal views already, etc.

I just want to note I saw this headline in the Daily Mail (did not read article)
“Ex-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman says he was ’really stupid’ to ever think his marriage to teenager Mandy Smith when he was 52 would work”

I want to say: Most anyone who has been divorced says to themselves:
‘Seriously, WTF was I thinking.’
‘I can’t believe I married that person’
‘never make that mistake again’

LOL.
Bill Wyman thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 22:08 by 35love.

The Quiet One
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 3, 2019 22:50

Bill's wife Suzanne and daughter Matilda with Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall at last night's premiere in NYC.

Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 3, 2019 23:41

Yes, this was a good article/ yea Jerry Hall way to go—
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 3, 2019 23:54

Jerry's got more class than all of the rest of the family put together.
including the sires imo.

bill's kid looks very comfortable and warm with her mom there.
this biographer's 'regrets' are related, tho i haven't researched other books, and could be stepping into fantasy cause i think it's
a very exploitative cheap and ez, greasy kinda shot,
and won't rant on for a change...but I doubt her motivation is for Bills' former
wife under insane conditions...that i neither really know about, or defend at all, but this is crummy and Bill is a Master, and a fine wonderful human being and
with all those half century in public, especially last several decades, but always, a considered gentleman, and Master of Feel on that instrument,
and a foundation BLOCK, and huge element, in their very earliest success,
and every period till he himself decided that was it.
it's rock and roll and bill brought them both.
there's a hole where bill used to be and that isn't a smarmy dig at
those who would abuse others. Let others play scientist, judge, jury
and executioner. yeh, BIG "news" im the increasing every-day 'news'
mining of an era none of them lived in; or appreciate, other than
doing the hustle that The Beatles depicted so delightfully in Hard Days Night press Event, and that Dylan did in
those Time Magazine reporters showing up when he was hitting Hottest in the beginning....
...kinda just going into that Mr. Jones lyric thing come to life,
NOT referring to Brian or any other Jones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 00:04 by hopkins.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home