Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 24
Re: Wyman hit by "me too"
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 26, 2019 17:49

keithsman
I can't believe people keep missing the point of this thread, it's not about Bill being a dirty old man, or you think it's acceptable or illegal or should he be in prison, it's not about that. It's about censoring his music, or censoring Stones music by the Stones if the metoo movement or any other liberal elite movement start going towards all those underage groupies in the 60's, where does it end, censoring history because they were bad people or tyrants, censoring anything that can be received as offensive, you end up living a life that's out of George Orwell's 1984.

I'm all for the imprisonment of all the pedophiles and abusers who have caused misery to so many for so long, but it shouldn't end in censorship of art or history, we learn from mistakes we shouldn't bury them under the carpet and pretend it never happened.

Bingo...

The fact that so many on a Stones board don't see this is almost funny. They but and listen to his art all of the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 17:51 by stanlove.

Date: March 26, 2019 18:00

Father Ted
CaptainCorella
keithsman

Now wait a minute, i must clarify, i am against censorship, ie, banning Bills new film, i am not condoning under age sex, why would you twist that around to take the higher political ground. I'm not interested in politics, i'm neither left nor right, i just don't want the day to come where the Stones music will be banned because Bill slept with an under age girl, or that Mick slept with an underage groupie in 65'
I mean where does it end, surely the meetoo movement have bigger fish to fry, leave a rock band alone, people have the right to hear their music for ever.

One of the tougher moral questions of any era relates to how much notice you take of events in earlier times when different standards of behaviour were quite acceptable.

For example... If tomorrow (in 2019) you learnt that a famous current performing artist kept 15 slaves in dreadful conditions you'd be shocked and that would probably make you stay away from their work. Understandable.

But how many famous, significant, and much praised signatories of the American Declaration of Independence did just that!

Another example... The origin and development of digital computing (without which IORR would not exist) owes a great deal to the pioneering work of Alan Turing at Bletchely Park in WW2. These days he's praised for his work, but after the War he eventually committed suicide as a result of legal issues that he had to deal with because he was gay. (He has been posthumously 'pardoned', which rather emphasises the point.)

Different times, different mores.

I'm sure I could find other examples.

But the point is that these issues do not readily respond to binary answers of "yes that's OK, we'll continue to admire your artwork", and "No that's damnable, we'll act as if you had never existed."

Personally I am not wise enough to knowi the right answer, but I am just about old enough and wise enough to know that it's a very hard set of questions.

I completely disagree with you. Bill Wyman had sex with a child. That was as illegal and socially unacceptable in 1983 as it is now.

A

That is flat out wrong and I can't believe that people keep trying to say it. How many times do we have to go over this.

Everyone knew about Wyman and Smith at the time yet it did not hurt Wyman's career. That in itself proves that it was not as socially unacceptable at the time. I went to a school at about the same time when teachers were having sex with 15 year old students and nobody thought a thing about it. Society norms have now changed for the better when it comes to this but it is flat out wrong to say the things were the same in 1983.

In the entire history of the world only in the last 20 or so years has having sex with a 14 year old been looked at like it is today. Now the mob wants to go back and try to trash anyone who did things when society was different. We know what mob this is. The same one who thinks they should decide what statues should come down and who wants to hold everyone from the past to today's standards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 18:01 by stanlove.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 26, 2019 18:04

Spud
Of course it's their choice, and their festival ...but I suspect they made that choice on the basis of their fear of censure rather than belief.

[And I do know some of the folks involved ]

But I am surprised. Particularly as the world of cinema has long been at the forefront of personal expression, stretching the boundaries etc.
What if a film was made about the German Director Leni Reifenstahl who may or not have been a Nazi sympathiser.
Or famous writers and painters who may have had 'an unhealthy interest in young girls'.
Presumably the Sheffield people won't be showing any Led Zep or Jimmy Page films either.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 26, 2019 18:38

35love
“Again, there is a biological difference between teenagers and prepubescent children.

Neither is okay, but there is a distinction.”

(Quote from another IORR thread)

From personal experience
I fell for the Stones @ 13 years old.
I was 15 years old when Bill Wyman MARRIED MANDY SMITH.
I collected magazines w/ any RS info, had this England front page fancy wedding.
While my mother would have never agreed (or father) to a relationship of this type,
back in the early 80’s parents were looser, shall we say.
My friends and I would walk the streets at night,
take daytime buses to downtown Mpls and walk the city stop in smoke shops,
and we partied right under our parents noses drinking ages were 18 and 19 years old! In the 80’s, we glammed up ourselves high hair high heels and went to clubs.
My stepdad dropped me off when I was 17 at a Mpls dance club that was illegal yet no problem, bye, my friends’ll give me a ride home (actually the bouncer I was dating)

Do I rear my kids different 40 years later? YES.

***and 38 years from now, humans (hopefully) will be explaining 2019:
Yes, we sat online 1/2 our life talking and opening up to virtual strangers or bots... yes that’s right

Date: March 26, 2019 19:45

By the same token, If things the stones did in the past were made public the next tour should be called off.

Hypocrisy all around.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 26, 2019 19:51

jlowe
Spud
Of course it's their choice, and their festival ...but I suspect they made that choice on the basis of their fear of censure rather than belief.

[And I do know some of the folks involved ]

But I am surprised. Particularly as the world of cinema has long been at the forefront of personal expression, stretching the boundaries etc.
What if a film was made about the German Director Leni Reifenstahl who may or not have been a Nazi sympathiser.
Or famous writers and painters who may have had 'an unhealthy interest in young girls'.
Presumably the Sheffield people won't be showing any Led Zep or Jimmy Page films either.

Or Roman Polanski

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 26, 2019 22:09

emotionalbarbecue
By the same token, If things the stones did in the past were made public the next tour should be called off.

Hypocrisy all around.

Exactly.
If they don't like or approve of Bill or the Stones don't watch or listen to Bill or the Stones . Simple, just don't tell me what i can listen to or watch or dance to and ruin my party because mankind is not as moral as it should be.
I mean come on this brings on a bigger question, Money and fame has a negative reaction to some men, they get used to having what they want and then they want more and different and weird, just look at Hollywood today, it stinks. So do you want to ban Hollywood and everything it's ever created??
Look at the Church, politicians and all the goings on, people in a position of power have been getting away with who knows what for centuries, why don't these movements for change have a look in that rabbit hole instead of picking on an old man of 82. I'm sorry but i think there are far bigger fish to fry, put their attention towards preventing things as opossed to stiring up things that happened 40 years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 23:02 by keithsman.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 27, 2019 00:02

How many more times--none of this has anything to do with the #metoo movement, unless Mandy Smith has made a #metoo statement that she was taken advantage of (whether she was a minor or not). That's the whole point--"Me too. I was sexually abused or harassed too." She hasn't.

SO PLEASE LEAVE THE #METOO MOVEMENT OUT OF THIS.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 27, 2019 01:14

Aquamarine
How many more times--none of this has anything to do with the #metoo movement, unless Mandy Smith has made a #metoo statement that she was taken advantage of (whether she was a minor or not). That's the whole point--"Me too. I was sexually abused or harassed too." She hasn't.

Perfect!!!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 01:20

meetoo outing people on social media is a disgrace though, they are not courts, people who are accussed have the right to a fair trial.not trial by a public kangaroo court where vigilantes will make sure repercussions take place. the thing with vigilante groups is they think they are above the law, they want revenge on someone they perceive as having committed a vile sin, and they dont hold back till they get someone but often its the wrong person, some innocent who happens to get caught up in someone elses problems. it has happened time and time again cos some idiot has pointed the finger at the wrong person by mistake.

Date: March 27, 2019 02:26

buttons67
meetoo outing people on social media is a disgrace though, they are not courts, people who are accussed have the right to a fair trial.not trial by a public kangaroo court where vigilantes will make sure repercussions take place. the thing with vigilante groups is they think they are above the law, they want revenge on someone they perceive as having committed a vile sin, and they dont hold back till they get someone but often its the wrong person, some innocent who happens to get caught up in someone elses problems. it has happened time and time again cos some idiot has pointed the finger at the wrong person by mistake.

It is not only me too. It is anyone that the mob can demonize. If someone makes a questionable 911 call on a minority the mob makes sure they can't work anymore. If someone makes a joke that the mob finds offense the mob makes sure they can't work or go to college. and so on and so on. If someone did something decades ago and the mob find out the mob tries to destroy their life. It's disgusting and people need to step up.

We all know who the mob is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-27 02:27 by stanlove.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 27, 2019 04:41

In the end, it's not our business. I am a fan of their music, not of their personal behaviour or misbehaviour. Bill's behaviour is questionable, but he is responsible for his doings. But when it comes to questionable behaviour, let's not overlook the role of Mandy's mother who allegedly allowed her meeting Bill. What was she thinking? That a man in his 40s is interested in the intellectual capacities of her young daughter? And what if Bill was not a world-famous musician but a poor old sod instead?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 27, 2019 04:47

Very well said retired_dog ...finally some sense to all of this ….….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 27, 2019 05:45

retired_dog
In the end, it's not our business. I am a fan of their music, not of their personal behaviour or misbehaviour. Bill's behaviour is questionable, but he is responsible for his doings. But when it comes to questionable behaviour, let's not overlook the role of Mandy's mother who allegedly allowed her meeting Bill. What was she thinking? That a man in his 40s is interested in the intellectual capacities of her young daughter? And what if Bill was not a world-famous musician but a poor old sod instead?

So can we say that the mother pimped out her daughter to a man of wealth and fame?

To see it in another perspective, if you can't see past the age thing, this girl was in 7th grade at the time.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 27, 2019 07:31

Aquamarine

I apologize, I just don't know how to change the subject line!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 27, 2019 08:35

Glam Descendant
Aquamarine

I apologize, I just don't know how to change the subject line!

I'm not sure, but maybe if you go back to your original post and quote it, you can then change the title in the subject box?

Date: March 27, 2019 09:52

stanlove
buttons67

It is not only me too. It is anyone that the mob can demonize. If someone makes a questionable 911 call on a minority the mob makes sure they can't work anymore. If someone makes a joke that the mob finds offense the mob makes sure they can't work or go to college. and so on and so on. If someone did something decades ago and the mob find out the mob tries to destroy their life. It's disgusting and people need to step up.

Pardon for being a bit slow, but who are the mob, who is pulling the strings, who and what is behind all this.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 27, 2019 10:27

keithsman
stanlove
buttons67

Pardon for being a bit slow, but who are the mob, who is pulling the strings, who and what is behind all this.

The mob: women who cannot walk alone on the street at night, moslims who get insulted on the street, black people who get shot by cops, gays who get insulted and treated as inferior beings, sick people who cannot afford healtcare, older people who cannot pay the rent, children who are taken advantage of in so many ways, and - especially - everyone who wants to fight this injustice and hopes for a fairer society.
Not the mob: the people in power who control the media, the banks, the governments and the mindless sheep who keep them in power and who will call everyone who wants to change that "the mob".

I am glad we got that all cleared up.

Regards,

Don Corleone.

By the way: any news about the "new album"? I met a guy last night in a bar who knew the nephew of the postman of an old friend of the brother of a roadie who told me that "they are in the studio".

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 27, 2019 10:37

News on the new album? My guess is that the glorious new album in 2019 will be "Honk".

Date: March 27, 2019 11:27

matxil
keithsman
stanlove
buttons67

The mob: women who cannot walk alone on the street at night, moslims who get insulted on the street, black people who get shot by cops, gays who get insulted and treated as inferior beings, sick people who cannot afford healtcare, older people who cannot pay the rent, children who are taken advantage of in so many ways, and - especially - everyone who wants to fight this injustice and hopes for a fairer society.
Not the mob: the people in power who control the media, the banks, the governments and the mindless sheep who keep them in power and who will call everyone who wants to change that "the mob".

Regards,

Don Corleone.

By the way: any news about the "new album"? I met a guy last night in a bar who knew the nephew of the postman of an old friend of the brother of a roadie who told me that "they are in the studio".

Where i live most victims of violent crimes are white males so best not forget to add them to your list. Iv'e seen little evidence of white privilege, sorry but it's true.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 27, 2019 11:39

matxil
keithsman
stanlove
buttons67

Regards,

Don Corleone.

yeah, i know the aunt from a person who used to walk the dog. the dog is related to a nephew from the brother whose sister who is a daughter from Keefs dog. this animal stated thatthey are not in the studio.
jeroen

Date: March 27, 2019 12:27

….. ain't it a bitch …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 27, 2019 12:49

Anyway, to get back to the point...

Censoring Bill's film by not showing it is crap.

The world will cease to function if the rules are that we are not allowed to see, hear, touch or utilise anything created by people who have done wrong.

This is not to downplay the seriousness of the many sex related scenarios where people in positions of power abuse that position of power.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:02

It is strange that someone decided to cancel the showing of that movie. Customers should make their own decisions by going or not going to see the movie. If the movie flops it would mean that the general public refuses to see Bill Wyman as a person of cultural significance. The people should decide.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:13

I should retitle the documentary to ‘the young one’.

Date: March 27, 2019 13:15

Yeah just the other day was watching a DJ being
interviewed and he mentioned that recently after playing
Under My Thumb the station received a call from a female
listener demanding that they never play The Stones
or any other artists version of Under My Thumb ever again …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 27, 2019 14:14

Didn't Bill ring the Police at one stage asking if they wanted to talk to him? Or did I dream this?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 14:18

rollmops
It is strange that someone decided to cancel the showing of that movie. Customers should make their own decisions by going or not going to see the movie. If the movie flops it would mean that the general public refuses to see Bill Wyman as a person of cultural significance. The people should decide.
Rockandroll,
Mops

I agree "the people should decide" whether to go or not.

However, (and I'm not saying I agree w/ the decision), the Festival has every right to show (or not show) whatever it wants.

lots of movies don't/didn't make the cut for whatever subjective system the Decision-Makers have in place - for better or for worse.

That being said, I do think it is bad form for them to flip-flop on their original decision based solely on Social Media griping.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 27, 2019 14:42

exhpart
Didn't Bill ring the Police at one stage asking if they wanted to talk to him? Or did I dream this?

What did Sting answer??

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: March 27, 2019 14:47

exhpart
Yes he did talk to cops voluntarily. No one ever filed charges-her mother for instance. So that was that.video: [www.digitaljournal.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home