Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24
The Quiet One - documentary about Bill
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 16, 2017 23:28

Sundance Selects has acquired North American rights to The Quiet One, a documentary about former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman that is being directed by Oliver Murray. The still-in-production film, made in collaboration with the Stones’ founding member, follows the highs and lows of Wyman’s career and features unseen film footage he shot and photographs he took over the years, amassing a vast archive of memorabilia. He also kept a daily diary.

[deadline.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-29 05:58 by bv.

Re: The Quiet One ~ documentary about Bill
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 16, 2017 23:41

The Quiet One was John Entwistle of The Who.

Bill was The Silent Stone.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 17, 2017 00:03

thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 17, 2017 00:17

I think the full title is:
'IT'S ALWAYS THE QUIET ONES'.

I thought Entwistle was 'The Ox'?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 17, 2017 00:30

Correct.
The Ox wrote a song called "The Quiet One".

Bill wrote Jumping Jack Flash...hot smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 17, 2017 01:42

I thought George was the Quiet One.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 17, 2017 02:25

RollingFreak
I thought George was the Quiet One.

George was the "Mystical One".

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 17, 2017 02:52

Actually, the Stones' founding bassist was Dick Taylor, who also went to grammar school with Mick and Keith and was even in a band with them before the Stones.

Below is a really interesting 16-minute mini-doc on Dick Taylor, in which Taylor revisits the house in which Little Boy Blue and The Blue Boys used to rehearse and also the Ealing Club, so there's a chance to glimpse some historical proto-Stones locations. This mini-doc dates from 1998 and was shown on Dutch Public TV.

Mini-Doc on Dick Taylor: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 17, 2017 09:18

cool piece on dick taylor; thank you. i'm looking forward to a Bill doc. i hope they get to license some of his Stones performances too
cause he walked the earth as a true king and really put it down; made a big difference; brought the groove..

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 17, 2017 11:19

much love & praises for Dick Taylor from me.
He is still playing some superb guitar for The Pretty Things

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 17, 2017 11:27

This was put on hold last year due to Bill's health. Glad to see its picking up steam again.

Can't wait to see it.

Date: February 18, 2017 16:26

Bill Wyman Documentary ‘The Quiet One’ Gains Distribution
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"The Quiet One, an authorized documentary about the life and career of former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman, is currently in production, with distribution rights already snapped up by Sundance Selects.
Deadline reports that director Oliver Murray, whose credits include the shorts A Stranger Kind and Treasure, is helming the project, which “follows the highs and lows of Wyman’s career and features unseen film footage he shot and photographs he took over the years.” According to Wyman, he felt he could no longer put off the opportunity to help capture his life on film.
“My life has been an extraordinary adventure,” he’s quoted as saying. “The time feels right to delve into the archive and tell my story before I croak.”
“Bill Wyman is legendary not only because of the fact that he was a founding member of the Rolling Stones but also because he had unfettered access to the extraordinary world of rock ‘n’ roll over several decades,” added Sundance Selects co-presidents Jonathan Sehring and Lisa Schwartz. “We are thrilled to … let the world see this amazing behind-the-scenes imagery of the rock ‘n’ roll era.”
The Quiet One arrives at a relatively event-filled time in Wyman’s sporadic solo career: He returned to action in 2015 with the Back to Basics LP, ending a long drought between recordings. On the personal front, he went public with his cancer diagnosis last year, and subsequently served as the guest of honor at a concert timed to celebrate his 80th birthday."

bill wyman is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: April 23, 2017 01:08

Hi,

Bill was out for lunch, and the article says he is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One !?!?!

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Re: bill wyman is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One
Date: April 23, 2017 01:40

I always thought Taylor was the quiet one. Not on stage of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-23 01:44 by TheflyingDutchman.

Re: bill wyman is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: April 23, 2017 01:59

oops, sorry, didn't know about this film-Project ...

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 23, 2017 02:01

Bill definitely was the quiet one.

But both share the unbelievably poor $$ decision to quit the band right before they got into big (& bigger) money..

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 23, 2017 02:21

I don't pity Bill Wyman. About the financiel situation concerning Mick Taylor I am not so certain, but Bill Wyman should have enough money to have a good ( normal) life without financiel troubles I guess. I hope Mick Taylor has no misfortune in that respect, but about that I'm less certain. I wish them both the best anyway!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 23, 2017 02:55

thomashanck
Hi,

Bill was out for lunch, and the article says he is working on an authorised documentary on his life called The Quiet One !?!?!

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

What a curious article - even for the Daily Mail.

If you read it carefully you'll realise that it's entirely concocted from old news other than what I have to assume is an up to date photo taken of Bill in London on Friday. There's absolutely no other information there that's remotely new.

Two added things..

1) The use of the phrase "morbid statement" is utterly offensive. If he's still ill, then it's offensive. If he's got the all clear, then it's also offensive.

2) The headline says " rare public outing". <expletive deleted> What they really mean is that by chance a papparazzi spotted him after lunch. Bill walks down the street in London any time he wants, and because he does not make a fuss about it passers by don't spot him. That I know for certain!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 23, 2017 10:51

MisterDDDD
Bill definitely was the quiet one.

But both share the unbelievably poor $$ decision to quit the band right before they got into big (& bigger) money..

Bill claims to not have a regret about retiring from The Stones. I think he stayed quite a bit longer than he had wanted to frankly.
Well at least he has said as much. I believe him;
Taylor wanted out too; he thinks, or has said that he thinks getting out of there might have saved his actual very life.

I think Bill, in most every significant, important and indelible way, will NEVER really 'leave' The Rolling Stones.
A foundational member bringing that kind of original unique presence that defined this very band, as much as the other members, minimally.
He made 20 out of their 24 albums. The four he missed were not definitional Rolling Stones albums, tho there are some tracks I do honestly love since he's gone. Not a whole hell of a lot of them though. And nothing that would not have been better had he been there....imfo.
Somehow I don't see Bill, saying to himself
"God what was I thinking!!!?? I could have done Bridges to Babylon!!!"
I think HE thinks that 25 or 30 or so years was quite enough.
He was on that big SW tour; he knew there would be big bucks spectacle and loads of cash to stay. It didn't come as a regretful shock.
He made history. He IS a fascinating and deeply essential part OF rock and roll.

He brought his OWN style; even his own stance.Certainly his personality and presence, He's imo always been pretty honest and up front when asked most anything about them; so I think a docu with more intensive interviews and such would be fascinating historical document, or could be....
The Glims were just too detached and entitled and arrogant to really understand the big hole that Bill would leave....Keith realized it when it was finally going down and pretty much begged, past cajoling but Bill was on the way out.

Mick was all cavalier b.s. to paraphrase; 'oh it's not like that's a hard instrument; i could play bass anybody could play bass; it's not like playing bass in the Stones is a hard job'
and other such distracting nonsensical posturing, knowing at heart he had somehow cut a huge whole out of the essence of that band.
Keith was miserable when it sunk it what had happened when Bill was actually finally out; he was not coming back...
they were working him; thinking he'd stay; he'd always been there. He wasn't window dressing; he was driving that train....

To understand how great Bill is in one easy step; think of the dynamic classic Keith bass guitar that drives the studio sftd,
one of the greatest most important and perfect studio cuts of all time in rock and roll....
...now listen to Bill do sftd on ya yas.
Case closed.
Bill owns that spot. Bill is the once, future and always bass player for The Rolling Stones, no matta what they tell ya or sell ya...

Love to see Bill's docu; I am so happy I saw him with them several times.
I've never seen them without him and am not likely to actually...

Almost every important essential thing they did, they did when Bill was a full on Rolling Stone...
I do not think he regrets leaving and i do not think he is hurting for cash or comfort.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 23, 2017 10:57

The Stones push-pull, with Bill anticipating KR and Charlie playing just a bit behind. That was the roll, baby.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 23, 2017 14:03

Regarding that money issue:
Bill stated in an interview for a German magazine that Mick Taylor wanted be paid out when he left. And he sure must have received a lot of money!
Bill also said (quote) "I was cleverer than Mick" and more furture conscious and only left the band as a musician and a shareholder.
So, whenever f.e. Angie is played on the radio Mick J and Keith get the composer's and the artist's fare and Charlie AND Bill the artist's fare. Wasn't Marianne Faithfull saying something like I lived on the sales of Sticky Fingers (thus including her lyrics for Sister Morphine) for years?!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 23, 2017 15:29

TheflyingDutchman
I always thought Taylor was the quiet one. Not on stage of course.

Exactly. I always thought of (& heared reference to) MT as 'the quiet one ';
Bill was (the) 'stone-face(-d)'.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 23, 2017 15:45

[youtu.be]

For a moment I thought it'll be about
John Entwistle - The Quiet One

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 23, 2017 18:11

I thought Charlie was the quiet one. confused smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 23, 2017 23:12

When considering Bill's financial position we have no idea how the Sticky Fingers restaurant enriches him. It's been around for quite some time. (Is that the only location, or have they franchised it?) It wouldn't be around all this time if it was a flop. The big money was there for the Steel Wheels Tour and Urban Jungle/Japan 1990. I think Bill made a few million and figured he had enough to start a new chapter in his life. I don't think the prospect of playing the same 20 songs over and over and over and over and over and over appealed to him.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 23, 2017 23:52

Let's hope the documentary comes out soon.... Bill has long deserved a film about his life.
On the subject of finances, I'm sure Bill and his family are well sorted. His 3 (?) homes alone combined must have around a £20 million valuation.
Presumably, though not certain, his royalties from the 1963/71 period must also be pretty good.
Most important though is that he continues to make a full recovery..and who knows, perhaps the occasional gigs in the future.

Date: April 23, 2017 23:55

"...at first you know, I was going to kill him..."
[www.youtube.com]

Just freeze frame his face right after he says that.
He's equivocating and putting his best foot forward for the interview...
but that brief splash of expression right as, or immediately after he says this...
...you can tell he's hurt, angry, is trying to deal w it; how deep an integral part of the basic machine is now missing.
How very deep a hole has been left in relation to the essence of the entire thrust and roll of the blessed thing.
I still imagine, and it's just my own feeling; that what was really bowling people over and blowing them away at the very start, even in the smallest of clubs,
was the ass kicking, ass shaking ride that Charlie and Bill were providing.
And you can hear that on the early live cuts imo; (the bbc and other sources from that time...)

...I get the impressions that at this interview it's still hitting him.
I think they just sort of took him for granted for a really long time,
and if not Mick, well at least Keith is open enough for a second here...to really register the hurt and sure sense of loss.

Date: April 24, 2017 01:43

And very recently, decades having passed since the above interview;
He's thoughtfully reflecting; almost a quarter century has passed. A couple of albums and a LOT of tours later:

"...an incredible bass player.
I'm still always amazed by Bill's tastefullness...
...I've got to say this is the most discerning, very sensitive musician...

...I've got to say,
he's like the top bass player for me..."
KR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-24 01:57 by hopkins.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2017 11:46

hopkins
And very recently, decades having passed since the above interview;
He's thoughtfully reflecting; almost a quarter century has passed. A couple of albums and a LOT of tours later:

"...an incredible bass player.
I'm still always amazed by Bill's tastefullness...
...I've got to say this is the most discerning, very sensitive musician...

...I've got to say,
he's like the top bass player for me..."
KR

Keith really did say something beautiful about Bill's bass playing around Bill's 80th. It showed that Keith was aware of how good Bill was and understood the intricate nature of Bill's playing. It really distills what his playing was all about, made doubly surprising coming out of Keith's mouth in public.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 18, 2017 16:17

Some more links.

[warriorfilmpromotions.co.uk]

[warriorfilmpromotions.co.uk]

If you want to invest:
[film.warriorfilmpromotions.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home