Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick's "lost" autobiography
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 16, 2017 09:16

A 75,000 word memoir.... that Mick Jagger doesn't remember writing! Manuscript reveals how the Rolling Stone bought a stately home while HIGH on LSD and was almost killed by a horse

Daily Mail:

autobiography

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-18 18:16 by bv.

Re: Article - Mick's autobiography
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 16, 2017 10:35

Thanks for linking

I tried to keep reading after the article mentioned and kept mentioning and repeating and re-repeating the the same two things 10-20 50 times in only the title and first 2 paragraphs... but my eyes rolled too far into my head and they refused to roll back down until I closed the window. grinning smiley

I will try to re-read this later... by skipping down 4 paragraphs to start with to avoid rolling my eyes too hard again and see what this is all about besides he didn't recall writing what?... he bought what on what?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-16 10:39 by HankM.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 16, 2017 11:24

Sounds dubious.
Firstly, Mick has a good memory....probably better than Keith's actually.
Its just a pose (the denial thing)...a means of putting off annoying questions.
Secondly, re the horse riding accident: pretty sure I've seen photos of Mick horse riding....along with Charlie (of course) and even Keith in the mid 60's.

Mick won't write his story: Sinatra didn't and they have a lot of traits in common.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 16, 2017 11:27

Thanks for posting! How amazing it would be to see this! eye popping smiley

-swiss

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 16, 2017 13:24

jlowe
Sounds dubious.
Firstly, Mick has a good memory....probably better than Keith's actually.
Its just a pose (the denial thing)...a means of putting off annoying questions.
Secondly, re the horse riding accident: pretty sure I've seen photos of Mick horse riding....along with Charlie (of course) and even Keith in the mid 60's.

Mick won't write his story: Sinatra didn't and they have a lot of traits in common.

It's well documented that when Mick did try to do an autobiography he asked Bill if he could borrow his (Bill's) diaries (because his memories were poor). Request reportedly not granted.

Mick had been given a big advance for the book that he had to return.

I may be wrong, but this sounds more like the Howard Hunt and also the @#$%& diaries hoaxes.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

"I’ve got Mick Jagger’s lost memoir" - John Blake
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 16, 2017 14:17

John Blake's piece in The Spectator - [www.spectator.co.uk]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 16, 2017 15:09

Amazing story, this will leak sooner or later and must already be circulating in the proverbial "collector's circles" ;-)

News to me that Mick had lunch with Maxwell "even sat next to him at a bizarre lunch that he asked me to arrange with Robert Maxwell."

This is pretty touching : "Then there’s the tedium of looking at Keith’s scraggy, monkey-like bottom night after night, but also the touching respect he has for Keith: always late, always smashed but ‘a creative genius’. The world needs more creative people like Keith, writes Mick."

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Re: "I’ve got Mick Jagger’s lost memoir" - John Blake
Date: February 16, 2017 15:17

lol... Mick should just print the legend.

Step 1
Hire one of his kids to buy (or in his style check out of the library) every dumb book every written about him and the band... create a time line... change the words enough to not plagiarize.... start inputting the various tales in to the time line.... fill up the dates and years... push the button and print it.

Step 2
Then Mick looks it over for a year or two while pondering it all.... maybe joggle some memories loose... maybe add in some tales.... or maybe make up some crap (or combine some lascivious stories) for the juicy drivel lovers... and publish it.

Step 3
Sit back and make 10-1000 Million Dollars while not revealing anything that people dont already know.

Or he could laugh it off by saying he could do that^^^...
and saying/asking "why should he bother writing a book?"

It is not like there would be something in there we dont already know.
And it might... who knows...

What good could come from it?
We saw the trouble and delays cassed by Keefs book...

todgerschmodger...

All I know is Keefs book cost us precious time and material while they kissed and made up.

I dont really do celeb tell all books... dont read them much.
I still have not read life except for a few chapters online.

I only finally read Tony's book.. because you know... waddyagonnadoafterawhile

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 16, 2017 15:18

Wasn't it John Blake who had a drink poured over his head by our own Ronnie Wood back in the early 1980s?

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 16, 2017 17:05

I always thought he considered writing his memoirs at some point but returned the advance when he changed his mind.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 16, 2017 17:06

Sounds like a slick marketing trick.
I hate being played.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: February 16, 2017 17:52

99.9% of the stuff printed in the Daily Mail is not worthy of further discussion, and this is no exception as far as I'm concerned...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 16, 2017 18:03

xke38
99.9% of the stuff printed in the Daily Mail is not worthy of further discussion, and this is no exception as far as I'm concerned...

Wikipedia editors have voted to ban the Daily Mail as a source for the website in all but exceptional circumstances after deeming the news group “generally unreliable”.
[www.theguardian.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 16, 2017 18:26

Well, i mean, they report Hyde Park as 2012!! Lazy Journalism.

Date: February 16, 2017 19:24

xke38

True enough...but The Spectator, not The Daily Mail, is the source of this story.

[www.spectator.co.uk]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 16, 2017 19:41

If Commander was offered a billion dollars he would, maybe, give it a second thought. Otherwise, forget it. I'm sure he had enough of scandals as it is. He doesn't even answer personal questions in interviews.

Date: February 16, 2017 20:17

Stoneage
If Commander was offered a billion dollars he would, maybe, give it a second thought. Otherwise, forget it. I'm sure he had enough of scandals as it is. He doesn't even answer personal questions in interviews.

And this 'new hidden treasure' doesn't sound personal at all, either.
Just some fun antidotes.

ETA: which I would probably pay for and read, LOL. Maybe.

Edit again just to clarify (to whom? Mick? Mick am I clarifying w/you?
I'm Not Signifying.)
Anyway, as much as I love to read, and like Mick ;-)
The trash biographies written about him I have never gone past the reviews/ summaries, junk writing and slanderous out-sider stuff
(Don't mean Cohen's book, and that wasn't a Jagger bio anyway)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-16 20:24 by 35love.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 16, 2017 21:03

haha – the Daily Mail is considered not to reliable enough – even by wikipedia!

see: [www.businessinsider.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 16, 2017 21:09

There was a great Wall Street Journal article last year in which Mick discussed the making of Moonlit Mile.
If he wrote a bio that stuck closely to the artistic/song writing aspects of his life that would be quite interesting.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 16, 2017 22:29

Nice little interview here with publisher John Blake about receiving the manuscript. It starts at around 19 minutes 30 secs into the programme.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: February 16, 2017 23:05

That was very good Beast. Wonderboy is correct on the 'Moonlight Mile' piece, I thought it a rare clarity when I read it too.
We simply cannot (BBC saying) have more of the met on a train,
risked quitting LSE, eating carbs timed before show.
One last suggestion:
instead of 'I can't remember'
let's go with
'I can neither confirm nor deny'
sly fox we presume him to be.

Mick's "lost memoir"
Date: February 17, 2017 17:02

London Publisher Says He Has Mick Jagger’s Memoir — but Don’t Expect to Read It

By CHRISTOPHER D. SHEA FEB. 16, 2017

Mick Jagger performing in Oslo in 2014. Credit Nigel Waldron/Redferns, via Getty Images

LONDON — Drug-induced property purchases. Bathroom breaks while Keith Richards sings. Champagne and caviar feasts that were ordered and then ignored.

All that, and more, is in a decades-old memoir by Mick Jagger, according to the London publisher John Blake. But the management team for the Rolling Stones will not let him publish the work, and a representative for the group has declined to confirm or deny the authenticity of the manuscript.

Mr. Blake, in an article published online by the British magazine The Spectator on Thursday, claimed to have a hard copy of the heretofore unknown memoir.

“It’s extraordinary,” Mr. Blake said in a telephone interview on Thursday. “I compared it to, like, the Dead Sea Scrolls.”

The 75,000-word manuscript chronicles Mr. Jagger’s early years in rock ’n’ roll, until around 1980, Mr. Blake said, adding that he believes the singer worked with a ghostwriter.

Mr. Blake, a former journalist, knew Mr. Jagger professionally as a young man and said that a “mutual friend” had given him a typed copy of the memoir, with notes scrawled in Mr. Jagger’s hand, around three years ago.

He said that he had first reached out to the musician about publishing it through the manager of the Rolling Stones, Joyce Smyth.

According to Mr. Blake, Ms. Smyth initially said that the singer did not remember the memoir, and had requested a copy. She subsequently confirmed its authenticity, he said, and asked if Mr. Jagger could write a foreword that explained that the work had been written early in his career.

In the months that followed, Mr. Blake reached out repeatedly, he said, but he was told that Mr. Jagger was too busy to cooperate on the book. Eventually, around the end of 2015, Ms. Smyth told Mr. Blake that he would not be granted permission to publish the work, a position she reiterated on Thursday.

“John Blake writes to me from time to time seeking permission to publish this manuscript,” Ms. Smyth said in a statement sent by her law firm. “The answer is always the same: He cannot, because it isn’t his and he accepts this. Readers will be able to form a view as regards the matters to which John Blake refers when Sir Mick’s autobiography appears, should he choose to write it.”

“Life,” the 2010 memoir by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, which explores the band’s heyday and the sometimes tumultuous relationship between Mr. Richards and Mr. Jagger, was hailed by critics, including Michiko Kakutani of The New York Times, who called it “electrifying.”

Mr. Jagger, however, has made clear that he has no interest in writing a memoir. “If someone wants to know what I did in 1965, they can look it up on Wikipedia,” he told the Hollywood Reporter in an article published in early 2014.

Mr. Blake outlined a number of lively details from the book in his article for The Spectator: Mr. Jagger’s purchase of a historic house, Stargroves, in the English countryside, while he was high on a psychedelic drug; episodes in which the band demanded caviar and stuffed quails backstage, but didn’t eat them; and Mr. Jagger’s habit of drinking eight pints of water before concerts, knowing he would sweat it out in performance.

“It is delicious, heady stuff,” Mr. Blake wrote in the article. “Like reading Elvis Presley’s diaries from the days before he grew fat and washed-up in Vegas.”

In the phone interview, he said that the memoir also showed a side of Mr. Jagger that is in contrast with his reputation as a hard-living Lothario.

“It’s not sensational, it’s sweet, is what it is. It’s delightful,” he said, adding that Mr. Jagger appeared, to some extent, to hold back from revealing unsavory details of life on the road. “What I suspect happened is that because he didn’t really want to bear his soul, the publisher rejected it.”

Mr. Blake said he could not circumvent the Rolling Stones management team and publish the material because Mr. Jagger owns the rights to the manuscript. To his knowledge, he said, he has the only copy other than a photocopy he sent to Mr. Jagger.

That claim could not be verified.

Asked why he was making the matter public, Mr. Blake framed the issue as one of public service.

“People will be writing theses about the Rolling Stones in 100 years time” he said in the interview. “It’s such a rare primary document that I kind of, like — I just thought the world would be interested to know about this. That was all.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 17, 2017 19:22

bb johnny, thanks for this article which seems to tell what's what.
(I haven't kept up with the NYT in the past few days...)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 17, 2017 20:01

It's not Mr Jagger anymore. I thought the New York Times would know that. He is not a commoner. He is blue-blooded by now.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 17, 2017 20:14

he realized that most of this stuff people already know or is just boring,wow he drinks water before going onstage because he'll sweat it out..please.

too bad keith didn't understand that-"so anita,brian and i were heading down to morrocco in a car..zzzzzz" gramps is repeating himself again,everyone pretend you haven't heard the story before...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 17, 2017 21:47

To me it's funny that the article states the Stones management team (Mick Jagger ) rejected the idea of a tell all book .Mick had second thoughts and came to his senses .

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 17, 2017 22:24

Thanks for posting...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 17, 2017 23:48

Mick should just make up what he wants or doesn't remember..Ronnie sure did! haha

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 18, 2017 00:16

bye bye johnny

Interesting, thanks for posting. However, I'm surprised Mick liked the "up and down with The Rolling Stones" book. Just my opinion.

Date: February 18, 2017 05:13

swimtothemoon
bye bye johnny

Interesting, thanks for posting. However, I'm surprised Mick liked the "up and down with The Rolling Stones" book. Just my opinion.

Mick did not dislike itsmoking smiley

By the late 1970s Mick, who stays sane by staying private, was weary of people writing books about him and the Stones. I co-wrote one myself called Up and Down With The Rolling Stones. I am told that Mick did not dislike it. Keith hated it. The only time that Keith deigned to discuss it with me, he simply asked: ‘Would you like a .38 or a .45?'

Up and Down would make a entertaining TV series... like the Sopranos... even if they changed all the names... it has enough hi-jinx, set ups, situations, getting in and out of trouble and car crashes to fill a 100 episodes. It even has 2-part cliff hanger material- "Tune in next week to see if/how the crazy rock star survives the choppy high seas in his new boat after ignoring advice to not go across the bay!!!!"

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home