Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Little Rain
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 18, 2022 12:24

drewmaster
An utterly captivating track, so gentle and yet menacing. The mood is so vivid, it’s like being front-row in a theater, watching a scene that you can’t take your eyes off of. And Mick’s harp … ohhhhhhh baby, it doesn’t get any sweeter than this. Dark, mesmerizing, and sublime.

Little Rain is a perfect example of the Stones’ genius at taking a simple musical idea and transforming it, through their magical alchemy, into something mind-blowing.

Drew

thumbs up

Date: August 18, 2022 12:29

drewmaster
I was just listening to this glorious track and noticed some distortion/muddiness, particularly audible near the beginning, both in the guitars and Mick's voice. Anyone else hearing this? If so I wonder if it's deliberate or not.

Drew

There's quite a lot of that "distortion/muddiness" on B&L.

I think its mostly due the bulk of the recording being done live and with a modest number of microphones in the room.

Tipping a hat to the old methods as well as the old songs. smiling smiley

[My only issue is that , just like every other record today , its cut too loud with loads of compression, sapping the dynamic light and shade. ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 12:31 by Spud.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2022 18:39

This is such a great cover, definitely one of my all time favorites ... probably makes my top 5 covers that they have done.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 18, 2022 22:09

drewmaster
An utterly captivating track, so gentle and yet menacing. The mood is so vivid, it’s like being front-row in a theater, watching a scene that you can’t take your eyes off of. And Mick’s harp … ohhhhhhh baby, it doesn’t get any sweeter than this. Dark, mesmerizing, and sublime.

Little Rain is a perfect example of the Stones’ genius at taking a simple musical idea and transforming it, through their magical alchemy, into something mind-blowing.

Drew

Written five years ago, but the point is eternal. Beautifully put! thumbs up

I just add that the beauty of it, like with other tracks on the album, is that they don't even try to add there musical structure or component something that aren't on the original, and trust solely on own their natural character and sound as players and as a band, on their own 'magical alchemy', like Drew nicely put it. The result does not sound as any by-the-numbers blues cover band, but pure, authentic Rolling Stones. I don'think there is not any other band or group of musicians being able to come up with such convincing and unique sounding results out of such a 'basic' or 'obvious' material and with so little means. Incredible.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 22:28 by Doxa.

Date: August 19, 2022 11:08

..and this is exactly why they don't need to write great new songs ...

It's not what they play that defines them ...it's how they play it .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 19, 2022 16:06

Spud
..and this is exactly why they don't need to write great new songs ...

It's not what they play that defines them ...it's how they play it .

Which is why the setlist-obsessives sometimes get it wrong.

Wow, they played so-and-so! Yes, but they made a mess of it, or sounded totally by-the- numbers uninspired.

Oh, they just played such and such a warhorse... Yes, but it was a performance to savour.

Of course, if they get both halves of the equation right: a brilliant performance of something unusual, then that's wonderful.

Date: August 19, 2022 16:12

That's all very true ...but I'm easily pleased,

I can get excited about a subtle new twist Keith puts on the timing of SMU grinning smiley

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 19, 2022 20:43

Mick's vocal on this track were great. On some of the more recent tracks (songs from the deluxe editions etc..) I wish he stayed in this vibe.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2022 20:58

Not really different from the original. Still, a great track. When Mick's harp comes in it harkens back to Brian on 'Honest I Do' on the first album. (Which, despite the band's reverence for Jimmy Reed, is the only song of his I think they recorded until Blue and Lonesome.) Honestly it's not what jumps to mind when I think of my favorite tracks on the disc, but now it sounds great.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2022 00:35

Shame Shame Shame ............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 22, 2022 05:46

24FPS
Not really different from the original...

But a huge point is nobody (not on this board) was listening to the original, now they do!

Date: August 22, 2022 06:01

LeonidP
24FPS
Not really different from the original...

But a huge point is nobody (not on this board) was listening to the original, now they do!

Well, yeah. In the Stones tradition you almost always go back and check out the original. Sometimes the Stones improved a little on the original, or more likely arranged it a little different so it's not better, but equally as good. The best instance is Little Red Rooster.

Date: August 23, 2022 02:07

24FPS
Not really different from the original. Still, a great track. When Mick's harp comes in it harkens back to Brian on 'Honest I Do' on the first album. (Which, despite the band's reverence for Jimmy Reed, is the only song of his I think they recorded until Blue and Lonesome.) Honestly it's not what jumps to mind when I think of my favorite tracks on the disc, but now it sounds great.

'Honest I do" may be my favorite cut from first album. Always was.
Incredible to notice how basic Jagger's harmonica playing was; compared to Brian, and compared to later Jagger.
That song also has some great cymbal crashes. It sounds like Stu tripping over a cable, into the cymbal stand.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 23, 2022 03:08

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 23, 2022 03:44

24FPS

just off the top of my head there's also

ain't that loving you baby

bright lights big city

my first plea

shame shame shame

i ain't got you

go on to school

i miss any?

Date: August 23, 2022 04:41

ProfessorWolf
24FPS

bright lights big city

my first plea

shame shame shame

i ain't got you

go on to school

i miss any?

I meant official records. The first two are from the unrleased (then) Bright Lights Big Boot. Other than Shame, where were the others put out on official recordings?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 23, 2022 07:06

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

bright lights big city

my first plea

shame shame shame

i ain't got you

go on to school

i miss any?

I meant official records. The first two are from the unrleased (then) Bright Lights Big Boot. Other than Shame, where were the others put out on official recordings?

ok gotcha

ain't that loving you baby was released on "on air" however

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-23 07:09 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 23, 2022 17:33

My favorite tune on this album.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home