Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is it True that Wyman Wrote JJF?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2017 18:16

And no, Bill Wyman didnt write the song and never he said he did. The riff on organ - yes. And yes he wouldve been credited today I think.
Keith played it on guitar in open E but that's not really special on JJF. What is special is Keiths work on Street Fighting Man. That song is actually a lot better and in many ways a lot more important - or should be at least.

Date: February 20, 2017 18:20

That's a puzzling statement, Carpet. I'd say that they're just as important musically, at least when it comes to Keith's contribution (the SFM-riff was already to be found in other variations on other tracks). However, JJF was the bigger single.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 20, 2017 18:42

TheflyingDutchman
This link might explain the RS's songwriting issues :

[lawyerdrummer.com]

You should read the Link and The Stones reference.
It's hilarious.
Ronnie is clearly just a "hired musician" !

Date: February 20, 2017 18:44

DandelionPowderman
Nothing new there. No other musician got as many songwriting credits with the Stones as Ronnie, though. The author must be hinting at the early tracks (I Can Feel The Fire, It's Only Rock'n'Roll and Hey Negrita).

As the article says, «adding a guitar solo or drumbeat or organ over an existing song structure (and not contributing to the actual structure or melody of the song) is not typically considered songwriting».

There will always be borderline cases, where new instrumental parts are «challenging» the original structure of the song and its melody.

It probably dates from post 2013, judging the comments.The author, a Pro, quotes the Satisfaction riff as songwriting, rightfully so, but he also makes a clear statement re "hiring" and paying other band members for bringing in ideas, paying them for it but not giving credits. The glimmers can afford it. The more classic approach seems to be Dylan and Young, who came up with the complete songs. Ron Wood might have been the most assertive third man when it comes to getting credits, unlike Taylor and probably Jones, both not prepared to play the second fiddle and thus quit frustrated within five years. Bill and Ron just calculated.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 20, 2017 19:50

In his book, Dominique Lamblin says that Brian Jones told him he wrote the riffs of "the last time" and "Get off of my cloud" and played to him the riff before the song was published and knew that Mick and Keith would keep the Credits for themselves.
I think he is not so far from the truth.

Date: February 20, 2017 19:56

ouroux58
In his book, Dominique Lamblin says that Brian Jones told him he wrote the riffs of "the last time" and "Get off of my cloud" and played to him the riff before the song was published and knew that Mick and Keith would keep the Credits for themselves.

What riff on GOOMC?

Date: February 20, 2017 20:04

DandelionPowderman
ouroux58

What riff on GOOMC?

I think he is talking about the intro!

Date: February 20, 2017 20:18

ouroux58
DandelionPowderman
ouroux58

What riff on GOOMC?

I think he is talking about the intro!

He definitely played those chords.

Date: February 20, 2017 20:38

If Brian Jones played the distinctive riff on "the last time" one might assume that he came up with it. Keith wouldn't allow otherwise. Ive got a similar feeling about the "Bitch" riff, played by Taylor.

Date: February 20, 2017 20:43

He "allowed" it on Lady Jane, Under My Thumb and probably others as well..

Date: February 20, 2017 20:51

DandelionPowderman

Source? cool smiley

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 20, 2017 21:07

timbernardis
Mick Martin of the Blues Party of KXJC radio in Sacramento said recently that Bill came up with Jumpin Jack Flash. Is this true?

plexi
fantasy

Date: February 20, 2017 22:09

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Source? cool smiley

Dulcimer and marimba. Nuff said smiling smiley

Date: February 20, 2017 22:29

It was Brian's great idea to play the riff on Marimbas and Bill plays it. Keith doesn't play it on the original track, but sticks to the chords, so who knows.. Don't always step into "Keith's boots" like that DP, he wouldn't appreciate it. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 00:06 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 21, 2017 01:55

Didn't read through the other comments, but here's my two cents:

There is no way that a man who made this could make this.

grinning smiley

Date: February 21, 2017 11:08

He didnt write the song but the riff.

Date: February 21, 2017 11:23

TheflyingDutchman
It was Brian's great idea to play the riff on Marimbas and Bill plays it. Keith doesn't play it on the original track, but sticks to the chords, so who knows.. Don't always step into "Keith's boots" like that DP, he wouldn't appreciate it. smiling smiley

confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 11:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 21, 2017 12:32

He did the very first steps....

The rest is history.

Date: February 21, 2017 12:51

emotionalbarbecue
He did the very first steps....

The rest is history.

No the rest is ROYALTIES for the same team!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:14

Well, the company that made the Jumping Jack Fireworks, which were around well before 1968 don't get any royalty payments either.

Date: February 21, 2017 17:02

jlowe
Well, the company that made the Jumping Jack Fireworks, which were around well before 1968 don't get any royalty payments either.

No but if you write the riff for a song that evolves around and from that very riff it may.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:10

Mick's attitude was evident in 1968 with this quote:

I shall be pleased if it is a hit, but that applies at any time. I think it is a good record but I'm not going to turn round and say people are out of their skulls if they don't buy it. It has a nice catchy chorus line and it's a good performance number... We've had some lousy records which have gone to Number One, and some funny ones - I think this disc is better than those.
- Mick Jagger, May 1968

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:12

well I hope Bill will be interviewed soon, and that interviewer asks him if he

came up with the idea for Jumpin Jack Flash.. let the man speak for himself, and clarify what exactly he is referring to ..

cool smiley

Date: February 21, 2017 17:19

He already has!

We got to the studio early once and... in fact I think it was a rehearsal studio, I don't think it was a recording studio. And there was just myself, Brian and Charlie - the Stones NEVER arrive at the same time, you know - and Mick and Keith hadn't come. And I was just messing about and I just sat down at the piano and started doing this riff, da-daw, da-da-daw, da-da-daw... and then Brian played a bit of guitar and Charlie was doing a rhythm. We were just messing with it for 20 minutes, just filling in time, and Mick and Keith came in and we stopped and they said, Hey, that sounded really good, carry on, what is it?
- Oh, that was just something we were messing with.
- That sounds good.
And then the next day all I can really remember... we recorded it and Mick wrote great lyrics to it and it turned out to be a really good single.
- Bill Wyman, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: February 21, 2017 17:24

GasLightStreet
He already has!

We got to the studio early once and... in fact I think it was a rehearsal studio, I don't think it was a recording studio. And there was just myself, Brian and Charlie - the Stones NEVER arrive at the same time, you know - and Mick and Keith hadn't come. And I was just messing about and I just sat down at the piano and started doing this riff, da-daw, da-da-daw, da-da-daw... and then Brian played a bit of guitar and Charlie was doing a rhythm. We were just messing with it for 20 minutes, just filling in time, and Mick and Keith came in and we stopped and they said, Hey, that sounded really good, carry on, what is it?
- Oh, that was just something we were messing with.
- That sounds good.
And then the next day all I can really remember... we recorded it and Mick wrote great lyrics to it and it turned out to be a really good single.
- Bill Wyman, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

They were quick (and lucky):

– Jack, the gardener, was jumping about in Keith's garden that day to inspire them
– They wrote the music
– They came up with the title
– Mick finished the lyrics
– They recorded it the very next day, and Bill didn't get to play the riff he wrote, nor the bass track

Sometimes everything just clicks. Everybody was happy, even Bill, seemingly..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 17:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 21, 2017 17:29

That was in ROLLING STONE I think, about the LICKS tour or whatever, the one with Keith on the cover.

Mick and I were in my house (laughs) in England in the country... and we'd been up all night and it was 6:30 in the morning, a dismal day, you know, English, grey. And we were just both crashing, Mick was on the couch and I was in an armchair with a guitar and we were, like, on the verge. And suddenly this sound of these boots (laughs) went by the window, clump clump clump - really, I mean, you had to be there to hear it - and woke Mick up, What was that? And I said - I looked out the window and I thought, Oh, that's Jack, that's jumpin' Jack. You know and then we started to play with those words. But I mean, really, it was sort of virtually woke up out of a stupor by this guy's boots, he was my gardener, he was a great guy but he's another story. And but... I just said, That's Jack. Well he's leaping about a bit. Yeah, I said, it's jumpin' Jack and then flash came and suddenly we were wide awake and we started to work, you know. You never know when they're going to come.
- Keith Richards, 2003

And then this bit from wherever:

Jumpin' Jack Flash comes from this guy Jack Dyer, who was my gardener. He'd lived out in the country all his life. I'll put it this way: Jack Dyer, an old English yokel. I once said, Have you ever been to town? And town, to an Englishman, means London, right? And he says, Oh Yeah, I was up there V.E. Day, when the war finished. That cathedral is something. He meant Chichester, the local big town, seven miles away... Mick says, Flash. He'd just woken up. And suddenly we had this wonderful alliterative phrase. So he woke up and we knocked it together.
- Keith Richards, July 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:36

After all these years it suddenly dawns on me that "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is a bloody silly name for a song !

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 18:15 by Spud.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: February 21, 2017 20:42

Yes true

Date: February 22, 2017 01:16

GasLightStreet
That was in ROLLING STONE I think, about the LICKS tour or whatever, the one with Keith on the cover.

Mick and I were in my house (laughs) in England in the country... and we'd been up all night and it was 6:30 in the morning, a dismal day, you know, English, grey. And we were just both crashing, Mick was on the couch and I was in an armchair with a guitar and we were, like, on the verge. And suddenly this sound of these boots (laughs) went by the window, clump clump clump - really, I mean, you had to be there to hear it - and woke Mick up, What was that? And I said - I looked out the window and I thought, Oh, that's Jack, that's jumpin' Jack. You know and then we started to play with those words. But I mean, really, it was sort of virtually woke up out of a stupor by this guy's boots, he was my gardener, he was a great guy but he's another story. And but... I just said, That's Jack. Well he's leaping about a bit. Yeah, I said, it's jumpin' Jack and then flash came and suddenly we were wide awake and we started to work, you know. You never know when they're going to come.
- Keith Richards, 2003

And then this bit from wherever:

Jumpin' Jack Flash comes from this guy Jack Dyer, who was my gardener. He'd lived out in the country all his life. I'll put it this way: Jack Dyer, an old English yokel. I once said, Have you ever been to town? And town, to an Englishman, means London, right? And he says, Oh Yeah, I was up there V.E. Day, when the war finished. That cathedral is something. He meant Chichester, the local big town, seven miles away... Mick says, Flash. He'd just woken up. And suddenly we had this wonderful alliterative phrase. So he woke up and we knocked it together.
- Keith Richards, July 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

BS.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 22, 2017 01:20

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Didn't read through the other comments, but here's my two cents:

There is no way that a man who made this could make this.

grinning smiley

or this [www.youtube.com]

But yes, the brains/engine in the band were Jagger/Richards and they made the songs happen, those who've made claims to writing songs and not credited have generally not written anything of interest on their own or with others, so...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1510
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home