Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Foreigner 40th Anniversary Tour
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 15, 2017 23:02

Hairball
shawnriffhard1
Jason Bonham's LZ Experience is fantastic, if Zep turns you on.

Seems a bit odd that he has based his entire career either yearning for another Zep reunion or drumming for a Zeppelin tribute band.
Similar to Dweezil Zappa doing the Zappa plays Zappa stuff.

I've never understood this theory. If my dad is a carpenter, or a farmer, or a store owner, I would think I'm the #1 most logical choice on the planet to continue the family business. Especially in his case. Besides his work with Heart, BCCommunion and Foreigner, he was taught by the drummer of Led Zeppelin!

He has the genetics and has been steeped in the Zep world since the day he was born. I've read interviews where he has explained the depth of his studying Zep and his relentless listening to bootlegs to bring validity and honor to his Dad's work. He and his band are exceptionally talented and recreate the Bonzo sound and vibe with care, attention to detail and huge enthusiasm.

I've seen a lot of LZ tribute bands and all star Bonzo events here in LA and they have all been a great amount of fun, but none got the overall "experience" better than Jason Bonham's show.

I'm not as deep on the Zappa trip as I am on Zep, but I did feel Dweezil killed it when I saw him a few years back.

Date: February 15, 2017 23:10

keefriffhard4life
1cdog
Foreigner.....? In 1982 maybe but looking back on it - it's just not very mature music is it?

do you feel chuck berry was ripping out deep profound lyrics?

YES, I most certainly do think Chuck Berry was ripping out the MOST profound lyrics. His plain spoke, direct and descriptive lyrics stand up against any writer to put pen to paper. I think "deep" sometimes get confused with flowery, complex or inaccessible. It's like comparing Shakespeare to Hemingway. Totally different as Hemingway's stuff is polished down to the absolute essential thoughts needed with nothing extra, but every bit as "deep".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 16, 2017 00:29

shawnriffhard1
Hairball
shawnriffhard1

Seems a bit odd that he has based his entire career either yearning for another Zep reunion or drumming for a Zeppelin tribute band.

I've never understood this theory. If my dad is a carpenter, or a farmer, or a store owner, I would think I'm the #1 most logical choice on the planet to continue the family business. Especially in his case. Besides his work with Heart, BCCommunion and Foreigner, he was taught by the drummer of Led Zeppelin!

He has the genetics and has been steeped in the Zep world since the day he was born. I've read interviews where he has explained the depth of his studying Zep and his relentless listening to bootlegs to bring validity and honor to his Dad's work. He and his band are exceptionally talented and recreate the Bonzo sound and vibe with care, attention to detail and huge enthusiasm.

I've seen a lot of LZ tribute bands and all star Bonzo events here in LA and they have all been a great amount of fun, but none got the overall "experience" better than Jason Bonham's show.

I'm not as deep on the Zappa trip as I am on Zep, but I did feel Dweezil killed it when I saw him a few years back.

If you're in to tribute bands, that's great! thumbs up

Date: February 16, 2017 01:19

Hairball
shawnriffhard1
Hairball
shawnriffhard1

If you're in to tribute bands, that's great! thumbs up

Well, ya know, I certainly don't think they match the originals, but life is brutal. I caught the fever in the summer of 81 and when Start Me Up was on the radio constantly, relentlessly, sometimes on different stations at the same time, I mistakenly thought that's the way it would always be and I've been chasing that dragon ever since.

I didn't really get the hang of the live thing until the mid-eighties and it was a tough time to come of age with no Zep, Stones or Who. Trying to catch the magic with various guys solo albums was very hit (Talk is Cheap) and miss (too many to list). The emotional scarring from the Let's Work video alone has cost me thousands in therapy fees. You can't un-see, you can only find bong, beer and bootleg based coping mechanisms.

Then the half assed, compromised feel of Steel Wheels(album) and the Who tour in 89, JPage's solo stuff, the "comeback" of Aerosmith, and so on. So you have to make do, and luckily I have seen the Stones in some very memorable shows a couple of dozen times, so I am grateful.

But in a sense, every philharmonic is a tribute band, right? I'm sure it doesn't compare to seeing Ludwig Van on tour in 1809 when the 5th was storming up the charts with a bullet, but waddaya gonna do, know what I mean?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 16, 2017 04:02

Nice post shawnriffhard1!

shawnriffhard1
The emotional scarring from the Let's Work video alone has cost me thousands in therapy fees

Haha - Mick should have named it Lets Not Go There!

Thankfully you've been able to see some memorable Stones shows - REAL Stones shows that is.
I have nothing against tribute acts, I just can't take them very seriously. The only one I've ever liked by any band - and the only tribute band I've ever seen - was the old Hollywood Stones (don't know if they're still around?).
That was with a bunch of friends at a bar, partying with a campy 'Mick' backed by a decent band playing 100% Stones songs...it was a festive night to put it mildly, so there is a time and place for tribute bands. I just think it's odd to see Jason and/or Dweezil sort of living in their father's shadows in the way that they do. Not a fan of Jacob Dylan's music, but got to give hime credit for never going down that road. And then there's Julian Lennon - almost surprised he hasn't gone that route as he looks and sounds like his dad - he could do a John Lennon/Beatles tribute in Vegas for the rest of his life, and I'm sure many would enjoy it. Instead he's opted to stick with his very mediocre career of unmemorable recordings.

Date: February 16, 2017 06:32

Hairball

Haha - Mick should have named it Lets Not Go There!

And then there's Julian Lennon - almost surprised he hasn't gone that route as he looks and sounds like his dad - he could do a John Lennon/Beatles tribute in Vegas for the rest of his life, and I'm sure many would enjoy it. Instead he's opted to stick with his very mediocre career of unmemorable recordings.

LOL, Oh that's awesome. Brutal, but accurate.

Yeah, I think he's probably got enough cash, and it would be a different level of criticism that he'd have to deal with. You're right in that some folks would enjoy it, but I imagine Macca, Yoko, Sean and Beatles hard core fans would rage unmercifully at him and for all my pro tribute sentiments, that would make me gag as well.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home