Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
OT: Desert Trip 2017
Date: February 8, 2017 18:44

There is an offer on the table for The Police

Re: OT: Desert Trip 2017
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 8, 2017 18:48

jumpontopofmebaby

What about the National Guard?

Date: February 8, 2017 18:51

reg thorpe
jumpontopofmebaby

Maybe a warm up I guess

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 8, 2017 19:19

jumpontopofmebaby

Yawn.....

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 8, 2017 20:08

Get the Talking Heads there, and people would really be talking.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 8, 2017 20:14

I think they should have left well enough alone, the promoters will take a bath this year as I don't think there is a set of performers that will pull the crowd they want unless the ticket prices are dramatically lower than last year.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 8, 2017 20:23

Sting said no several weeks ago.

[wror.com]

Date: February 8, 2017 20:27

tatters

[wror.com]

Oh and oh well

They would have been a great one to see there

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 8, 2017 20:46

jumpontopofmebaby
tatters

[wror.com]

Oh and oh well

They would have been a great one to see there

Nothing that a few more million can't solve

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 8, 2017 20:55

If they want big crowds, Kinks, Aretha, Oasis (though I am not a fan), U2 would bring the crowds. And, yes, the Talking Heads.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 8, 2017 21:00

reg thorpe
jumpontopofmebaby

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 8, 2017 21:40

I liked Desert Trip. If there were great acts then I would stay in Palm Springs and get a driver or a bus to take me to the Coachella site. Ten days in Palm Springs with two week-ends of great acts would be perfect. But not until the Stones quit touring...

Bjornulf

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: February 8, 2017 22:03

like em or not led zeppelin is the only band that that would make this a cant miss, it don't matter who else plays

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 8, 2017 22:09

Woz
jumpontopofmebaby

Yawn.....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

Maybe worth going if Boney M., Mud and U2 are added to the bill.

Date: February 8, 2017 22:13

dgodkin
like em or not led zeppelin is the only band that that would make this a cant miss, it don't matter who else plays

That would be cool and throw in U2 now you got 2 of the 3 nights main acts set!

But without Zeppelin no way can they even come close to last years line up.

Does anyone remember when they announced last years acts?

Date: February 8, 2017 22:22

jumpontopofmebaby
dgodkin

That would be cool and throw in U2 now you got 2 of the 3 nights main acts set!

But without Zeppelin no way can they even come close to last years line up.

Does anyone remember when they announced last years acts?

I also think it would makes since or at least make it easier for them to gets acts that are on the road now. U2, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Eric Clapton (kinda)

I did read in the paper last years that they do already have the area reserved to 2 weekend in October. So it should happen.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 8, 2017 23:01

How about a Yardbirds-themed show? Clapton, Beck and Page.

Date: February 8, 2017 23:15

tatters
How about a Yardbirds-themed show? Clapton, Beck and Page.

Wowsa That's more in line with the classic 60's bands like last year.

Or maybe the Faces?

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 8, 2017 23:48

Last year tix went on sale early May, if I'm not mistaken...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 9, 2017 00:05

The list so far:

Boney M.
Police

Mud
AC/DC

Abba
Led Zepplin

Great!
Not the predictable Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam or Herman's Hermits

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: February 9, 2017 01:24

This FB post would strongly indicate that Tom Petty is one of the acts for this year:

"For those fans expressing concern, please rest assured that we do have additional shows planned for Northern and Southern California. However we are unable to announce further details at this time due to contractual obligations with several festivals, some of which have not yet been announced. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
-Team Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 9, 2017 01:51

bv
I liked Desert Trip. If there were great acts then I would stay in Palm Springs and get a driver or a bus to take me to the Coachella site. Ten days in Palm Springs with two week-ends of great acts would be perfect. But not until the Stones quit touring...

I did as well and couldn't agree more..
The on-site camping was quite fun though, although if/when I do it again, I would bring a nicely appointed van (rv's too much $$) cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2017 04:25

bv

I would happily do it all over again... if it was the same lineup! winking smiley

First weekend stayed at a fancy Embassy Suites in Indian Wells about 10 miles away with door to door shuttle service to and from the site.
Second weekend stayed at nice Indian Palms Country Club/Resort apprx. one mile walking distance to site! Both weekend reservations were made early at normal prices (apprx. $120/night).

Heads up to anyone thinking of going this year: the minute the dates are rumoured (not confirmed), book hotel immediately while prices are still normal and sane with free cancellation.
After the dates (and bands) are confirmed, prices skyrocketed and choices of where to stay became very slim. I met a nice couple who paid $350+/night for a seedy roadside motel miles away that normally would be priced at $65/night. Money wasn't their problem as they paid for all the extra VIP food package, etc., but the conditions of their motel were tolerable at best and left a lot to be desired. Might be nice enough for $65, but to be price gouged at what they paid was kind of sad.

Led Zeppelin and/or Pink Floyd reunion would be the only bands that I'd definitely go back for, but both of those will 99% likely never happen.
Can't imagine who they'll come up with this year that would make me really want to go - last year was pretty much a fantasy list that actually happened...twice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-09 04:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 9, 2017 09:05

Indeed, Led Zeppelin and/or Pink Floyd could sell out all six nights just on their own and I agree that the chances of either of them re-uniting are fat, slim, or none.

I really enjoyed Desert Trip but other than last year's artists, or the two above, I can't really think of anyone else I would spend $1600 on for a ticket. I like the Police and I would be ecstatic if the Talking Heads made a comeback but I don't know if I would pay the Pit ticket price again.
Anyway, that said, I'll probably go this year.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 9, 2017 09:13

Hairball

Heads up to anyone thinking of going this year: the minute the dates are rumoured (not confirmed), book hotel immediately while prices are still normal and sane with free cancellation.
After the dates (and bands) are confirmed, prices skyrocketed and choices of where to stay became very slim.

Yep, I'll second that. I got a room at a Motel 6 in Indio before the dates were confirmed. The concert ticket was so expensive I decided to save on accommodations. After I parked at the motel I didn't use my car again, I just rode my bike to the show each day. It was nice to zip out of the parking lot afterwards.

Date: February 9, 2017 16:16

likecats
Hairball

After the dates (and bands) are confirmed, prices skyrocketed and choices of where to stay became very slim.

Yep, I'll second that. I got a room at a Motel 6 in Indio before the dates were confirmed. The concert ticket was so expensive I decided to save on accommodations. After I parked at the motel I didn't use my car again, I just rode my bike to the show each day. It was nice to zip out of the parking lot afterwards.

I think Oct 13th, 14th and 15th would be a safe bet. Knowing they have reserved two weekends at the concert site . So I think those dates would either be the 1st or the 2nd weekend for sure. However based on last years experience. I prefer the 2nd weekend. One I think the bands stepped it up a little and if you are patient you can get scalped tickets for less. Also the week days between shows there were some cool small venues played like Neil at the Fox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-09 23:47 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: February 9, 2017 16:20

Bobbyb98
This FB post would strongly indicate that Tom Petty is one of the acts for this year:

"For those fans expressing concern, please rest assured that we do have additional shows planned for Northern and Southern California. However we are unable to announce further details at this time due to contractual obligations with several festivals, some of which have not yet been announced. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
-Team Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers"

I think he makes a good first act for one of the nights. Fleetwood Mac would pair up with him

Now we just need U2 to be there and things are coming together. And it works with their tour schedule.

Cant rule out Aerosmith either they are on their final tour and are over seas now but the US will be right about the time Desert Trip happens

Eric Clapton also a great first act .

Ill bet most of these acts are there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-09 16:21 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 9, 2017 16:49

I'm not sure why people would think Zeppelin. I mean I do, but no act last year was someone that isn't already around. It was just an assembling of all the biggest acts from the 60s. But they are all still active, there were no reunions, the festival didn't bring together anything really special aside from getting these legends in the same place for two weekends. So I think when you're looking for acts this year people are relying too much on the need for reunions and stuff. That wasn't what last year's thing was like at all.

Date: February 9, 2017 16:55

RollingFreak
I'm not sure why people would think Zeppelin. I mean I do, but no act last year was someone that isn't already around. It was just an assembling of all the biggest acts from the 60s. But they are all still active, there were no reunions, the festival didn't bring together anything really special aside from getting these legends in the same place for two weekends. So I think when you're looking for acts this year people are relying too much on the need for reunions and stuff. That wasn't what last year's thing was like at all.

The Zeppelin rumor is there because they were made an offer last year from the promoters. Also the rumor is that Page and Plant were both at Desert Trip one. along with U2 and others. I would not rule out Zeppelin. But if they are in ticket prices will high high high

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 9, 2017 17:48

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young could be a possibility. Neil Young has recently
said he is completely open to the reunion idea.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home