Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Eric Clapton Documentary 'A Life in 12 Bars'
Date: February 23, 2018 04:15

Cooltoplady
Bungo
Yeah it was pretty good even though they glossed over or completely omitted a LOT that I would have liked to have seen something on. I guess they had to make a choice to focus on his life and "problems" over that of a chronological history of his musical career. My perspective comes from living through all of those years as a big fan of music from the 60's and 70's.

My biggest personal criticism is the films subtle inference that Eric was/is the greatest guitarist to ever walk the planet. The truth is he was probably very key to the development of the blues movement in England in the mid 60's with his involvement with the Yardbirds and John Mayall. I think that is undeniable. But after that he was pretty much a mute point. By '67 pop/rock music had evolved light-years beyond the blues movement with the appearance of psychedelia and a multitude of other hybrid musical styles. Even when he formed the worlds first so-called "supergroup" (Cream) the world barely took notice, maybe because they only stayed together for a short time. I think Blind Faith was a great band but they only produced one record. The same with Derek and The Dominoes (with the way over-rated Layla). Hell, even the record company admitted that that record didn't sell well. They blamed it on the name of the band (which is probably true) but there was just too much other great music out there for that record to compete with. After that he relegated himself to making so-so commercial pap.

That being said I will readily admit that Eric is an incredible blues guitarist but he never really moved guitar playing forward the way dozens of other rock guitarists did at that time and afterwards like Jimi Hendrix, John McGlaughin, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van Halen etc. I think it could even be said that he was an over-achiever in that he took his passion of playing great blues guitar and made a long and successful career of it. I wish him all the best.

Never moved the guitar forward? Are you kidding me? A very ignorant statement.

I don't think it is an ignorant statement at all; although it is the one sentence that immediately jumped out at me too. Of course EC moved electric guitar along. Maybe it is so much harder to see because his moves were so massive. It wasn't just a style of playing electric guitar - it was electric guitar itself that he threw on the map. The kind of electric guitar that any kid could dream of picking up and learning to play - a Strat, a les Paul. And all that was also wrapped up in him trying to tell the world about the Blues. Even Hendrix owes a debt to Clapton.
I also don't quite agree that the world barely took notice of Cream. that is just not so. But in a way I see what you mean: I myself never really want to give Cream all that much credit. Dont see their importance in the history of Rock. Maybe it would be different , had I been around in those years.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 23, 2018 05:57

Cream was the first super group before that became a cliche. They were huge here in the US and Clapton was really the first guitar God IMHO. I still remember nagging my cousin to take me to buy "Disraeli Gears", which was one of my first proper rock album, along with Hendrix "Are You Experienced" as I graduated from buying top 40 single 45rpm's to LP's.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 23, 2018 07:16

About halfway through. Just got to him recording the guitar for While My Guitar Gently Weeps. So far its fine. Basically your standard rock doc, but halfway through not up there with my favorites. Its kinda just drifting, which I guess is similar to what Eric not (not sure that pacing is intentional or not) but fun to watch him go from band to band. Glad they went little on the childhood and just got right to his music cause there's so much to talk about.

Gotta say, its pretty great when it hits Cream. Even just to hear that beginning of I Feel Free. As much as they are praised, I feel Cream's impact is never really diminished. You hear MANY songs by them at any point and its just always like "woah!" They were definitely a force to be reckoned with. Made their impact in such little time. I get how at times it may seem like they are overrated, but when you truly put yourself back in a time when that was brand new and hearing all three of those virtuosos just jamming (trust me, I was not around), they were shit hot and praised for a reason. All of their albums, especially Disraeli, hold up phenomenally IMO.

All in all, I'd say doc is kinda just coasting at this point. Not really delving in anywhere specific. Doesn't make it bad, but also makes it far from essential. Sad reading they don't touch on stuff like Bangladesh or Delaney and Bonnie which seem pretty essential. Admittedly am wondering where it goes post Derek And The Dominoes and how much they dig into his solo career. Overall it seems like its good for a one time viewing, but its definitely getting me into a Clapton mode. Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek And The Dominoes is enough to solidify him for me, and thats just such a small sliver of his catalogue. I always thought Clapton was slightly overrated (as you say, he was hardly an innovator), but man when he was on there was nobody like him. Many times that he's showed up and just smoked it.

Date: February 23, 2018 07:20

Cooltoplady
Bungo
Yeah it was pretty good even though they glossed over or completely omitted a LOT that I would have liked to have seen something on. I guess they had to make a choice to focus on his life and "problems" over that of a chronological history of his musical career. My perspective comes from living through all of those years as a big fan of music from the 60's and 70's.

My biggest personal criticism is the films subtle inference that Eric was/is the greatest guitarist to ever walk the planet. The truth is he was probably very key to the development of the blues movement in England in the mid 60's with his involvement with the Yardbirds and John Mayall. I think that is undeniable. But after that he was pretty much a mute point. By '67 pop/rock music had evolved light-years beyond the blues movement with the appearance of psychedelia and a multitude of other hybrid musical styles. Even when he formed the worlds first so-called "supergroup" (Cream) the world barely took notice, maybe because they only stayed together for a short time. I think Blind Faith was a great band but they only produced one record. The same with Derek and The Dominoes (with the way over-rated Layla). Hell, even the record company admitted that that record didn't sell well. They blamed it on the name of the band (which is probably true) but there was just too much other great music out there for that record to compete with. After that he relegated himself to making so-so commercial pap.

That being said I will readily admit that Eric is an incredible blues guitarist but he never really moved guitar playing forward the way dozens of other rock guitarists did at that time and afterwards like Jimi Hendrix, John McGlaughin, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van Halen etc. I think it could even be said that he was an over-achiever in that he took his passion of playing great blues guitar and made a long and successful career of it. I wish him all the best.

Never moved the guitar forward? Are you kidding me? A very ignorant statement.

agreed

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 23, 2018 07:36

As a few of said, there's a LOT of holes in this thing. I've already forgotten the last half. Did they even mention his touring with George in Japan? Or what about George's death? Wasn't that a loss? No mention of playing with Lennon in Toronto? Ultimately unfilling.

I saw Eric live, twice. Once, in 1979, Muddy opened for him, and Eric was still tangled up in drugs and drink. It was marvelous. He took off on a blues rant during White Room that floored me.

The second time was at the House of Blues in '94. Like 200 people. I was maybe seated twenty feet from him. He was promoting this Robert Johnson inspired blues album. Every note was perfect. And boring. He was clean and sober, good for him, but dead boring.

I thought the doc lingered too much on the Patty Boyd thing. It made Eric look like a selfish idiot. Hell, after he got her, it didn't last. He got her and then ignored her.

Date: February 23, 2018 15:31

24FPS
The second time was at the House of Blues in '94. Like 200 people. I was maybe seated twenty feet from him. He was promoting this Robert Johnson inspired blues album. Every note was perfect. And boring. He was clean and sober, good for him, but dead boring.

I think unfortunately he was boring a lot of times. I pulled out my Cream Royal Albert Hall reunion CD yesterday and honestly, it sounds like they are sleeping through it. The magic was gone. Thats not only Eric's fault but he hardly helped. In the bits I heard yesterday, I heard a version of White Room without the distinctive wah guitar which personally I consider unforgivable, a slow Toad from an aging Ginger Baker who doesn't really have it in him anymore, a struggling Jack Bruce with his voice, and a version of Outside Women Blues where Eric sounds like he'd rather be anywhere else. I'm glad those Cream shows happened, but god damn that Cream was the poster child for aging rockers just not being able to cut it anymore.

Had to throw on some Clapton/Winwood which was one of the few not boring things I've heard from him in the last 20 years.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: February 23, 2018 15:43

After about mid 70s, Clapton was really influenced by JJ Cale, a very different style. I love JJ Cale but Clapton never came even close (which, to his credit, he has always admitted).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 23, 2018 15:46

The musicianship was still superb , and the result very enjoyable ...but the muse was long gone.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 23, 2018 17:15

RollingFreak
24FPS

I think unfortunately he was boring a lot of times. I pulled out my Cream Royal Albert Hall reunion CD yesterday and honestly, it sounds like they are sleeping through it. The magic was gone. Thats not only Eric's fault but he hardly helped. In the bits I heard yesterday, I heard a version of White Room without the distinctive wah guitar which personally I consider unforgivable, a slow Toad from an aging Ginger Baker who doesn't really have it in him anymore, a struggling Jack Bruce with his voice, and a version of Outside Women Blues where Eric sounds like he'd rather be anywhere else. I'm glad those Cream shows happened, but god damn that Cream was the poster child for aging rockers just not being able to cut it anymore.

Had to throw on some Clapton/Winwood which was one of the few not boring things I've heard from him in the last 20 years.
You should have been to the first show at the garden in 2005 when they started fighting again backstage before the show and I feel the performance reflected the tension because I think the 3 of them Baker, Bruce and Clapton just kicked major butt and really put on one heck of a show and really blew me away .

Date: February 23, 2018 17:23

TheGreek
RollingFreak
24FPS

You should have been to the first show at the garden in 2005 when they started fighting again backstage before the show and I feel the performance reflected the tension because I think the 3 of them Baker, Bruce and Clapton just kicked major butt and really put on one heck of a show and really blew me away .

Apparently night 1 and 3 were similar and 2 was by far the best. I was at the last and happy to have the experience but everyone I know that went said it was underwhelming. Still worth seeing them and we got reasonably priced tickets. This doc has me listening to studio cream though and man those guys could rip like nobody's business.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 23, 2018 18:04

24FPS
As a few of said, there's a LOT of holes in this thing. I've already forgotten the last half. Did they even mention his touring with George in Japan? Or what about George's death? Wasn't that a loss? No mention of playing with Lennon in Toronto? Ultimately unfilling.

I saw Eric live, twice. Once, in 1979, Muddy opened for him, and Eric was still tangled up in drugs and drink. It was marvelous. He took off on a blues rant during White Room that floored me.

I thought the doc lingered too much on the Patty Boyd thing. It made Eric look like a selfish idiot. Hell, after he got her, it didn't last. He got her and then ignored her.

It has been a while since I read his autobiography but if memory serves me the book was a lot about his addictions and his obsession with Patty Boyd and less about the music.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 23, 2018 19:38

Yes, his near suicidal decade long obsession with Boyd, only to cheat on her and treat her like crap the minute he got her makes him look like a prick. I love his 60s work but everything else leaves me dry. A decent doc though and great video quality footage of the 60s and Stones

Date: February 23, 2018 21:20

Good stuff. Overall I understand the concerns, and definitely think they missed stuff. It kinda changed gears halfway through. The first half is your standard rock doc going through his bands. Yardbirds to Mayall to Cream to Blind Faith to Derek. Little to no childhood or growing up besides the obligatory mother sister stuff you need to know.

Takes that shift with Patti to being more about that and his relationships and his drug and alcohol struggles. How he overcame it all. It works well, although I'd argue because its so split it sort of skimps on both. I guess there's only so much you can take of the emotional stuff, and overall it does seem like they hit it. Wraps up a bit quickly, but once you've physically seen him snort coke I guess all you really need to know is that he made it out ok. I do wish it kinda delved into other things (all the stuff that was missed, and also that it felt less like coasting through his whole life and maybe more about the music) but it gets its job done and serves fine as an overview on Clapton. I've always said its incredible he didn't @#$%& die when all those others did, so it leaves me with a smile there that he's happy and had a full life.

I feel to many Clapton is always overrated. Even I've felt that way. But with a catalogue like his, even those like myself that think he's overrated find too many gems to count that would be a career for another artist. All I like from him is really Cream, Blind Faith, Derek And The Dominoes, and a greatest hits collection of his solo stuff. But even that output is incredible and combined with other guest appearances like Bangladesh, Dirty Mac, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, all of George's solo stuff, The Last Waltz... the man is a legend. He's earned his title. I'm just happy he's still with us. Far from an essential doc IMO though. Just listen to that music.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2018 21:28

" Just listen to that music".

That about sums it all up.

Nice doc and I do think it's essential, but to cover every nook and cranny there would have to be a pt. II, pt. III, and pt. IV (and maybe more).
Hard to squeeze such a legendary mammoth career into a doc that's just over two hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-23 21:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 23, 2018 21:36

...but does Eric still like to go to public Laundromats to wash his clothes when on tour?

Date: February 23, 2018 21:37

BluzDude
...but does Eric still like to go to public Laundromats to wash his clothes when on tour?

That will be covered in pt. VI. winking smiley

Date: February 25, 2018 18:50

Blind Faith album, lightning in a @#$%& bottle. What a monster of an album. Those 5 regular songs (Do What You Like is whatever) that Winwood and Clapton crafted are so unbelievably incredible. Every song is a home run, its outstanding what they accomplished on such a little album.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: February 26, 2018 23:39

RollingFreak
Blind Faith album, lightning in a @#$%& bottle. What a monster of an album. Those 5 regular songs (Do What You Like is whatever) that Winwood and Clapton crafted are so unbelievably incredible. Every song is a home run, its outstanding what they accomplished on such a little album.

Totally agree. Which begs the question: How many live shows did Blind Faith ever do? Did they even do a proper tour of any type? Or did Eric bail on that too? His nick-name should have been "fast feet" instead of "slow hand" cause he didn't hang with any band (or woman) for very long. He definitely had some commitment issues. That's probably why The Stones never brought him on cause they knew he'd probably haul ass after one record.

P.S. The Blind Faith record was produced by Jimmy Miller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-26 23:51 by Bungo.

Date: February 27, 2018 00:03

Bungo
RollingFreak

Totally agree. Which begs the question: How many live shows did Blind Faith ever do? Did they even do a proper tour of any type? Or did Eric bail on that too? His nick-name should have been "fast feet" instead of "slow hand" cause he didn't hang with any band (or woman) for very long. He definitely had some commitment issues. That's probably why The Stones never brought him on cause they knew he'd probably haul ass after one record.

I too only thought they did a handful of live shows, but apparently they toured for at least two months, but basically a decent chunk of 1969. At least for a band that had literally zero material. Wikipedia is actually pretty interesting on that matter, and seems correct: I too thought this band's was mostly at the hands of Clapton. And it was, although for decent reason. He thought they rushed to tour too quickly without having enough material to play shows. He didn't leave Cream just to be in another supergroup, and thats what happened. He left Cream and then was living off past material to pad out concerts because his current band didn't have more than a handful of songs. So basically by the time they started touring he was done and just did it as an obligation. Everyone involved says he was basically in love with Delaney and Bonnie since they were opening, and obviously ran off with them as soon as the tour ended. Ginger wanted the band to continue, but Eric ditched them, and to be fair to Eric, Winwood was ready to go back to Traffic and took Ric with them. So while Eric is the impetus, it seems the band basically dissolved naturally as fast as it began. The closest a reunion ever got was Winwood and Clapton's duo tour from 2007-2011, which were excellent and I wish I saw. Phenomenal set, they played most of the Blind Faith album, and just destroyed each other's material. The last time I feel Clapton actually had "the fire."

Also, been a fruitful few days devouring Cream, Blind Faith, and that phenomenal Derek And The Dominos album, of which everything I said about the Blind Faith album could be applied to that. Another genius work. For like 4 years there Eric couldn't go wrong. Also, highly recommend the Beware Of Mr. Baker doc about Ginger. Had never seen it and IMO that was way better than the new Eric one. Its way more interesting and engaging as opposed to pedestrian IMO, which is shocking for a guy who is basically know for Cream and one Blind Faith album. It should be a 20 minute doc. But it was incredibly fascinating, in no small part because Ginger is @#$%& crazy and a loon.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 27, 2018 12:57

oldschool
Cream was the first super group before that became a cliche. They were huge here in the US and Clapton was really the first guitar God IMHO. I still remember nagging my cousin to take me to buy "Disraeli Gears", which was one of my first proper rock album, along with Hendrix "Are You Experienced" as I graduated from buying top 40 single 45rpm's to LP's.

I agree with you that Cream was/is a very important band. The concept of 3 talented and very driven musicians creating new music with the commercial pressure on them was an highpowered experiment. One may not like the results, matter of taste maybe,but I do believe that Cream and Eric were fantastic; their musical interaction, the energy, and their tunes are an impressive rock&roll legacy.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: February 27, 2018 19:57

rollmops
oldschool

I agree with you that Cream was/is a very important band. The concept of 3 talented and very driven musicians creating new music with the commercial pressure on them was an highpowered experiment. One may not like the results, matter of taste maybe,but I do believe that Cream and Eric were fantastic; their musical interaction, the energy, and their tunes are an impressive rock&roll legacy.
Rockandroll,
Mops

"Cream" was released only 5 months before "Are You Experienced".

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 1, 2018 02:21

This documentary can be watched on YouTube.

Life in 12 Bars

Date: March 1, 2018 03:29

Cristiano Radtke

Life in 12 Bars

Thanks Cristiano - you always come through! smileys with beer

Date: March 1, 2018 04:35

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

Life in 12 Bars

Thanks Cristiano - you always come through! smileys with beer

My pleasure, Hairball. This documentary is great, and I thought that some people perhaps couldn't watch it on Showtime, so there it is. smileys with beer

Date: April 11, 2018 20:37

The soundtrack for this documentary is already on pre-sale at Amazon UK.

Life In 12 Bars - Original Soundtrack

8th June sees the release of the complementary OST to the new Eric Clapton documentary, Life In 12 Bars. Directed by Oscar-winner, Lili Fini Zanuck, the film takes an unflinching and deeply personal look into the life of the legendary 18-time Grammy Award winning guitarist and multi-million selling recording artist. The OST, available as a 2-CD and 4-LP set plus digital formats, comprises 32 tracks spanning Clapton’s long and illustrious career. (The LP version will be released at the later date of 20th July). It includes tracks by The Yardbirds, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos, The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, Muddy Waters and Clapton’s solo work.

Of the 32 featured there are five previously unreleased tracks: From the Cream era there is a version of Spoonful, an incredible 17 minute tour-de-force, recorded live at the LA Forum in October 1968 during the group’s final US, Goodbye tour. There are two from Derek and The Dominos – firstly a recording of High, originally recorded during the 1971 sessions at Olympic Studios for their unreleased 2nd album. This track was later revisited and re-recorded for Eric Clapton’s 1975 album, There’s One In Every Crowd. Secondly, the track Little Wing, a tribute to Jimi Hendrix, recorded live during the Domino’s late set at The Fillmore East on 24th October 1970.

Finally, there are two previously unreleased Eric Clapton tracks from 1974; the first ever release of the entire full length recording of the international hit version of Bob Marley’s I Shot The Sheriff, recorded during the sessions for 461 Ocean Boulevard and a live performance of Little Queenie, the Chuck Berry rock ‘n’ roll classic, recoded at Long Beach Arena, California in July 1974 during Clapton’s comeback tour to promote 461 Ocean Boulevard.

In addition there are two alternative mixes made for Eric Clapton’s 1970 debut album. Separate mixes were made for the album, by Delaney Bramlett and Tom Dowd (in LA) and also by Clapton himself (in London). Featured in this collection are Clapton’s rare mixes of album highlights, After Midnight and Let It Rain.

Disc: 1
1. Big Bill Broonzy: Backwater Blues (4.07) The Big Bill Broonzy Story 1957
2. Muddy Waters: My Life Is Ruined (2.38) Chess single 1953
3. Muddy Waters: I Got Mojo Working (4.28) Live At Newport Jazz Festival 1960
4. The Yardbirds: I Wish You Would (2.19) - studio version
5. The Yardbirds: For Your Love (2.30) For Your Love 1965
6. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers: Steppin' Out (2.29) John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton 1966
7. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers: All Your Love (3.37) John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton 1966
8. Cream: I Feel Free (2.57) Fresh Cream 1966
9. Cream: Strange Brew (2.50) Disraeli Gears 1967
10. Cream: Sunshine of Your Love (4.12) - studio version
11. Aretha Franklin: Good to Me As I Am To You (3.58) Lady Soul / Recorded on December 16 and 17, 1967
12. Cream: Crossroads live (4.18) Wheels Of Fire / Recorded 10 March 1968 at Winterland, San Francisco, CA16
13. The Beatles: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (4.45)The Beatles / Recorded 5-6 September 1968
14. Cream: Badge (2.48) Goodbye / Recorded October 1968 at IBC Studios in London
15. Cream: White Room live (5.41) Live Cream II / recorded October 4, 1968 at the Oakland Coliseum Arena
16. Cream: Spoonful (17.27) live from Goodbye tour - LA Forum October 19, 1968 previously unreleased
17. Blind Faith: Presence Of The Lord (4.52) - studio version

Disc: 2
1. Delaney & Bonnie & Friends featuring Eric Clapton: Comin' Home (7.51) Live at Fairfield Halls
2. Eric Clapton: After Midnight (3.25) alternate mix from Eric Clapton (first album) 1970
3. Eric Clapton: Let It Rain (5.00) alternate mix from Eric Clapton (first album) 1970
4. Derek and The Dominos: High (3.10) (Olympic Studios, April 1971) Derek and The Dominos album previously unreleased
5. George Harrison: My Sweet Lord (4.44) All Things Must Pass 1970
6. Derek and The Dominos: Thorn Tree In The Garden (2.55) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
7. Derek and The Dominos: Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out (5.01) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
8. Derek and The Dominos: Bell Bottom Blues (5.08) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
9. Derek and The Dominos: Layla (7.10) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
10. Derek and The Dominos: Little Wing (6.11) Live At The Fillmore 1970
11. Derek and The Dominos: Got To Get Better In A Little While (6.05) - studio version
12. Eric Clapton: I Shot The Sheriff (6.54) previously unreleased full length version from 461 Ocean Blvd 1970
13. Eric Clapton: Little Queenie live (6.00) Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California, July 19/20, 1974 previously unreleased
14. Eric Clapton: Mainline Florida (4.08) 461 Ocean Boulevard 1974
15. Eric Clapton: Tears In Heaven (4.31) - studio version

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 11, 2018 22:21

I thought it was a great doc, and I understand that you can't get every detail in there.

While they noted to dramatic effect that "Layla" didn't do much on the charts in 1970 when first released, they should have mentioned that the song and album EXPLODED on the radio two years later and never left--becoming a genre-defining daily staple of FM Classic Rock stations for the next 45 years.

I also wondered what the deal is with Robert Stigwood. He wasn't mentioned by name, but it was suggested that Eric's management put him out on the road too soon after he quit heroin in 1974, which he then replaced with alcohol. Clapton's label in the 70's was RSO (Robert Stigwood Organization). Does anybody know what happened there?

Date: April 11, 2018 22:31

RollingFreak
Bungo
RollingFreak

I too only thought they did a handful of live shows, but apparently they toured for at least two months, but basically a decent chunk of 1969. At least for a band that had literally zero material. Wikipedia is actually pretty interesting on that matter, and seems correct: I too thought this band's was mostly at the hands of Clapton. And it was, although for decent reason. He thought they rushed to tour too quickly without having enough material to play shows. He didn't leave Cream just to be in another supergroup, and thats what happened. He left Cream and then was living off past material to pad out concerts because his current band didn't have more than a handful of songs. So basically by the time they started touring he was done and just did it as an obligation. Everyone involved says he was basically in love with Delaney and Bonnie since they were opening, and obviously ran off with them as soon as the tour ended. Ginger wanted the band to continue, but Eric ditched them, and to be fair to Eric, Winwood was ready to go back to Traffic and took Ric with them. So while Eric is the impetus, it seems the band basically dissolved naturally as fast as it began. The closest a reunion ever got was Winwood and Clapton's duo tour from 2007-2011, which were excellent and I wish I saw. Phenomenal set, they played most of the Blind Faith album, and just destroyed each other's material. The last time I feel Clapton actually had "the fire."

Also, been a fruitful few days devouring Cream, Blind Faith, and that phenomenal Derek And The Dominos album, of which everything I said about the Blind Faith album could be applied to that. Another genius work. For like 4 years there Eric couldn't go wrong. Also, highly recommend the Beware Of Mr. Baker doc about Ginger. Had never seen it and IMO that was way better than the new Eric one. Its way more interesting and engaging as opposed to pedestrian IMO, which is shocking for a guy who is basically know for Cream and one Blind Faith album. It should be a 20 minute doc. But it was incredibly fascinating, in no small part because Ginger is @#$%& crazy and a loon.

I had never thought about J Miller having produced the Blind Faith album. I knew it, but had not ever pondered it.
It is a very good album, except that 18 minute drum solo. Really - did anyone EVER dig drum solos? On a recorded album? If you take the beginning of "Do what you like", maybe 90 seconds of it, it sounds a bit like "Bonzo's Montreux", and that would have worked. "Presence of the Lord" sung by Winwood is glorious.
I do wonder what Clapton really thought when he got with Winwood, and got away from Cream, and then found that Baker had scooted onto the drum throne.

Date: April 11, 2018 22:43

Palace Revolution 2000
I do wonder what Clapton really thought when he got with Winwood, and got away from Cream, and then found that Baker had scooted onto the drum throne.
If you watch Ginger Baker's Beware Of Mr. Baker documentary you'll see from Winwood that Clapton was NOT happy about it.

As for Do What You Will, I agree, it destroys what is otherwise a perfect album. Live at the Hyde Park show they've released its much better. The song itself is never anything special but its only 5 minutes at that show so I accept it there, and even kind of enjoy it. Thats the max length it should ever be.

Date: April 11, 2018 23:22

Cristiano Radtke
The soundtrack for this documentary is already on pre-sale at Amazon UK.

Life In 12 Bars - Original Soundtrack

8th June sees the release of the complementary OST to the new Eric Clapton documentary, Life In 12 Bars. Directed by Oscar-winner, Lili Fini Zanuck, the film takes an unflinching and deeply personal look into the life of the legendary 18-time Grammy Award winning guitarist and multi-million selling recording artist. The OST, available as a 2-CD and 4-LP set plus digital formats, comprises 32 tracks spanning Clapton’s long and illustrious career. (The LP version will be released at the later date of 20th July). It includes tracks by The Yardbirds, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos, The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, Muddy Waters and Clapton’s solo work.

Of the 32 featured there are five previously unreleased tracks: From the Cream era there is a version of Spoonful, an incredible 17 minute tour-de-force, recorded live at the LA Forum in October 1968 during the group’s final US, Goodbye tour. There are two from Derek and The Dominos – firstly a recording of High, originally recorded during the 1971 sessions at Olympic Studios for their unreleased 2nd album. This track was later revisited and re-recorded for Eric Clapton’s 1975 album, There’s One In Every Crowd. Secondly, the track Little Wing, a tribute to Jimi Hendrix, recorded live during the Domino’s late set at The Fillmore East on 24th October 1970.

Finally, there are two previously unreleased Eric Clapton tracks from 1974; the first ever release of the entire full length recording of the international hit version of Bob Marley’s I Shot The Sheriff, recorded during the sessions for 461 Ocean Boulevard and a live performance of Little Queenie, the Chuck Berry rock ‘n’ roll classic, recoded at Long Beach Arena, California in July 1974 during Clapton’s comeback tour to promote 461 Ocean Boulevard.

In addition there are two alternative mixes made for Eric Clapton’s 1970 debut album. Separate mixes were made for the album, by Delaney Bramlett and Tom Dowd (in LA) and also by Clapton himself (in London). Featured in this collection are Clapton’s rare mixes of album highlights, After Midnight and Let It Rain.

Disc: 1
1. Big Bill Broonzy: Backwater Blues (4.07) The Big Bill Broonzy Story 1957
2. Muddy Waters: My Life Is Ruined (2.38) Chess single 1953
3. Muddy Waters: I Got Mojo Working (4.28) Live At Newport Jazz Festival 1960
4. The Yardbirds: I Wish You Would (2.19) - studio version
5. The Yardbirds: For Your Love (2.30) For Your Love 1965
6. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers: Steppin' Out (2.29) John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton 1966
7. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers: All Your Love (3.37) John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton 1966
8. Cream: I Feel Free (2.57) Fresh Cream 1966
9. Cream: Strange Brew (2.50) Disraeli Gears 1967
10. Cream: Sunshine of Your Love (4.12) - studio version
11. Aretha Franklin: Good to Me As I Am To You (3.58) Lady Soul / Recorded on December 16 and 17, 1967
12. Cream: Crossroads live (4.18) Wheels Of Fire / Recorded 10 March 1968 at Winterland, San Francisco, CA16
13. The Beatles: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (4.45)The Beatles / Recorded 5-6 September 1968
14. Cream: Badge (2.48) Goodbye / Recorded October 1968 at IBC Studios in London
15. Cream: White Room live (5.41) Live Cream II / recorded October 4, 1968 at the Oakland Coliseum Arena
16. Cream: Spoonful (17.27) live from Goodbye tour - LA Forum October 19, 1968 previously unreleased
17. Blind Faith: Presence Of The Lord (4.52) - studio version

Disc: 2
1. Delaney & Bonnie & Friends featuring Eric Clapton: Comin' Home (7.51) Live at Fairfield Halls
2. Eric Clapton: After Midnight (3.25) alternate mix from Eric Clapton (first album) 1970
3. Eric Clapton: Let It Rain (5.00) alternate mix from Eric Clapton (first album) 1970
4. Derek and The Dominos: High (3.10) (Olympic Studios, April 1971) Derek and The Dominos album previously unreleased
5. George Harrison: My Sweet Lord (4.44) All Things Must Pass 1970
6. Derek and The Dominos: Thorn Tree In The Garden (2.55) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
7. Derek and The Dominos: Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out (5.01) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
8. Derek and The Dominos: Bell Bottom Blues (5.08) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
9. Derek and The Dominos: Layla (7.10) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
10. Derek and The Dominos: Little Wing (6.11) Live At The Fillmore 1970
11. Derek and The Dominos: Got To Get Better In A Little While (6.05) - studio version
12. Eric Clapton: I Shot The Sheriff (6.54) previously unreleased full length version from 461 Ocean Blvd 1970
13. Eric Clapton: Little Queenie live (6.00) Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California, July 19/20, 1974 previously unreleased
14. Eric Clapton: Mainline Florida (4.08) 461 Ocean Boulevard 1974
15. Eric Clapton: Tears In Heaven (4.31) - studio version

i'll be picking this up for sure

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 12, 2018 00:56

loog droog
I thought it was a great doc, and I understand that you can't get every detail in there.

While they noted to dramatic effect that "Layla" didn't do much on the charts in 1970 when first released, they should have mentioned that the song and album EXPLODED on the radio two years later and never left--becoming a genre-defining daily staple of FM Classic Rock stations for the next 45 years.

I also wondered what the deal is with Robert Stigwood. He wasn't mentioned by name, but it was suggested that Eric's management put him out on the road too soon after he quit heroin in 1974, which he then replaced with alcohol. Clapton's label in the 70's was RSO (Robert Stigwood Organization). Does anybody know what happened there?

I also picked up the absence of any mention of Stigwood other than a photo in the background at some point. Also no reference to Roger Forrester at all who initially worked for Stigwood and then took over full managerial duties sometime in the late 70s. He was Eric's right hand man for some twenty years or so until he was 'relieved' of his duties.
More details in the Clapton biography. I guess it was unlikely either would feature in interviews (Stiggy died in 2016) but some references and acknowledgement would have been good.
I don't think the various Managers of The Stones, except possibly ALO got a mention in Crossfire actually.
I think Stigwood just wanted to move into films and theatre which of course for a while he was very successful. Saturday NIGHT Fever made him a fortune. Both The Bee Gees and Jack Bruce sued him for copyright and back royalties which in the case of the Gibb Brothers was found in their favour.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home