Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 24 of 25
Re: Goat's Head Soup opinions
Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: May 1, 2019 19:36

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
I think Mick and Keith have a bit of love for GHS. Aside from the obvious success of Angie making every comp except SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES (or any other GHS track), it's had pretty good representation on some hits comps.

MADE IN THE SHADE and REWIND (US) - ... Heartbreaker
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE - ... Dancing With Mr D, Star Star

Isn't Angie on Rewind?

Angie is on Time Waits For No One and Rewind.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 2, 2019 13:01

MUNICH, GERMANY - SEPTEMBER 01, 1973:
Tins of Goats Head soup are delivered to a Rolling Stones press conference to
promote the album 'Goats Head Soup' in a restaurant in Munich.

Photo by Gijsbert Hanekroot

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 2, 2019 15:48

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
I think Mick and Keith have a bit of love for GHS. Aside from the obvious success of Angie making every comp except SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES (or any other GHS track), it's had pretty good representation on some hits comps.

Isn't Angie on Rewind?

In an earlier post I acknowledged how Angie was on everything so I left it off in talking about other GHS tracks making compilations.

GasLightStreet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-02 15:50 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 2, 2019 16:40

The Stones have played Dancing with Mr. D, Heartbreaker, Angie, Silver Train, and Star Star numerous times over the past several tours.

That's more love than a lot of their albums get. I only rate it a couple notches below the '68-'72 "golden" period...I don't agree with the notion that it represented the a major artistic decline.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 2, 2019 17:20

exilestones

Anybody knows the name or location of the Munich restaurant mentioned above? I'm from Munich...

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 2, 2019 17:58

micawber
exilestones

Anybody knows the name or location of the Munich restaurant mentioned above? I'm from Munich...

Picture might come from this press conference (info taken from www.nzentgraf.de):

730927A 27th September: Pullach (near Munich), Waldschänke Grosshesselohe.

N

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: May 3, 2019 09:58

24 pages so can’t be bothered reading back over all of them but I love every track on this album.

Date: May 3, 2019 10:28

GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Isn't Angie on Rewind?

In an earlier post I acknowledged how Angie was on everything so I left it off in talking about other GHS tracks making compilations.

GasLightStreet

Sloppy reading on my part. I'll blame it on the meds smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 12:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: May 3, 2019 12:17

thought it was 90% Mick as Keith was totally out of it by 73, its missing two mega hits per as that last big 4 had, it was good but not great

Date: May 3, 2019 12:22

ukcal
thought it was 90% Mick as Keith was totally out of it by 73, its missing two mega hits per as that last big 4 had, it was good but not great

What mega hits did Exile have? Angie was a mega hit, though.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 3, 2019 12:36

DandelionPowderman
ukcal

Mega hits?
1 single from Beggars Banquet (not in the UK) but hardly a mega hit.
No singles from Let It Bleed.
1 mega hit from Sticky Fingers and a reasonably good selling follow up (but not in the UK).
A medium selling hit from Exile with a non-UK follow up.
Angie was huge worldwide.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 3, 2019 12:48

He might count JJF and HTW, though, but even with those tracks included there weren't multiple mega hits during that era.

Date: May 6, 2019 01:50

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-06 01:57 by exilestones.

Date: May 6, 2019 01:55

Date: May 6, 2019 01:56

NeddieFlanders
micawber

Picture might come from this press conference (info taken from www.nzentgraf.de):

N

MUNICH, GERMANY - SEPTEMBER 01: The Rolling Stones pose at a press conference
to promote their album 'Goats Head Soup' in a restaurant in Munich, Germany in
September 1973 L-R Charlie Watts, Mick Taylor, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger

Gijsbert Hanekroot

Date: May 10, 2019 02:08

Date: May 10, 2019 02:33

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
ukcal

Mega hits?
1 single from Beggars Banquet (not in the UK) but hardly a mega hit.
No singles from Let It Bleed.
1 mega hit from Sticky Fingers and a reasonably good selling follow up (but not in the UK).
A medium selling hit from Exile with a non-UK follow up.
Angie was huge worldwide.

That's quite an interesting aspect of their singles discography that, one might imagine, most Americans don't or still don't know - Brown Sugar was the first single from an album, ie, it wasn't exclusive. At least in the UK (where it reached #2) as far as I can recall. Technically speaking, and this is a bit absurd, it wouldn't be until 2002 that they'd release a single that wasn't on an album, proper, and again in 2012, kind of similar to some of the earlier UK singles only being on BIG HITS as well as BIG HITS 2.

STICKY FINGERS is their first album to have a huge single hit on it (which is being considered what, here, top 10?), strictly in those guidelines, a streak that ended in 1981 for some people but factually in 1989 with the #5 charting Mixed Emotions.

Date: May 10, 2019 04:10

Perhaps if they had worked further on the France tracks that didn't get finished for EOMS, yet alone earlier sessions leftovers, there might be a different thought about GHS.

When held up to SF and EOMS, GHS sounds like they wanted to simplify a bit, even though there's plenty going on in Dancing With Mr D, 100 Years Ago and Can You Hear The Music.

Date: May 10, 2019 04:44

exilestones
It's interesting how similar Mick ( and Keith too) look to the Emotional Rescue release party.

Date: May 12, 2019 23:09

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 13, 2019 10:25

GasLightStreet
Perhaps if they had worked further on the France tracks that didn't get finished for EOMS, yet alone earlier sessions leftovers, there might be a different thought about GHS.

When held up to SF and EOMS, GHS sounds like they wanted to simplify a bit, even though there's plenty going on in Dancing With Mr D, 100 Years Ago and Can You Hear The Music.

Very interesting thought .

It's a process that continued with IORR and B&B too.
A bit like paintings with fewer layers of paint to add texture & feeling to the sketch beneath.

There was perhaps less good quality time and effort being put into shaping and refining songs ... possibly more due to changing life circumstances than by design,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-13 10:27 by Spud.

Date: May 13, 2019 19:46

Spud
GasLightStreet

A bit like paintings with fewer layers of paint to add texture & feeling to the sketch beneath.

There was perhaps less good quality time and effort being put into shaping and refining songs ... possibly more due to changing life circumstances than by design,

I think it was in GOLDMINE magazine, from 1997, that talked about BLACK AND BLUE, that referenced the original idea of what eventually became IORR was - side A to be covers, hence Drift Away and Ain't To Proud To Beg, apparently, and side B to be live tracks from the GHS tour but something came up and they nixed that and worked on new songs, which started just after the GHS tour ended, which included the first version of Black Limousine with Ronnie, and about a month later Mick did IORR with Ronnie...

IORR was recorded relatively quickly, just as GHS was, compared to BAB, SG and ER. When they were recording BB, LIB, SF, it may not be that they spent a lot of time on the recordings, overall, but that they were doing so much things took a while. We know they worked a while on SFTD but JJF, SFM, Brown Sugar, Sway and on and on didn't take very long, based on what all they've not said about recording most of the songs on those albums.

As usual, there have been leftovers, finished and unfinished, from all of those albums, supposedly a couple of tracks Mick completed for TATTOO YOU as well, all the way up to A BIGGER BANG.

Their creative phase of BB-GHS was remarkable, and then they kinda got hazed up a bit with IORR and BAB, then with Ronnie, a new spark of creativity with SG-U, which took a nosedive after and has since been the Mick or Keith show ever since, with some Mick and Keith show happening here and there.

The last tweaking of previous sessions songs appeared to be during the 1982-83 U sessions, with Think I'm Going Mad being worked on in Nassau and Too Tough being a leftover idea from the BAB sessions, the hilarious Cellophane Trousers.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 14, 2019 09:59

GasLightStreet
[...I think it was in GOLDMINE magazine, from 1997, that talked about BLACK AND BLUE, that referenced the original idea of what eventually became IORR was - side A to be covers, hence Drift Away and Ain't To Proud To Beg, apparently, and side B to be live tracks from the GHS tour ....

Didn't know that ...

..Something like that might have been fun over this last year or two if they hadn't had the idea for B&L when the new stuff wasn't coming together.

Date: May 14, 2019 10:06

They couldn't get a deal with Klein for the live 1973-stuff. He controlled the rights to some of the songs (BS, YCAGWYW, JJF, SFM etc.).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2019 09:18

……………………..

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 09:19 by Rockman.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 15, 2019 09:54

exilestones
NeddieFlanders
micawber

N

Thank you very much. I live about max. 10 minutes by feet from that location. Nowadays it's called "Waldwirtschaft Grosshesselohe" and includes a famous and big "Biergarten" (beer garden"). Very interesting!

Gijsbert Hanekroot

Date: May 15, 2019 12:55

micawber
exilestones
NeddieFlanders
micawber

N

Thank you very much. I live about max. 10 minutes by feet from that location. Nowadays it's called "Waldwirtschaft Grosshesselohe" and includes a famous and big "Biergarten" (beer garden"). Very interesting!

Gijsbert Hanekroot
I had just glanced at the Wirtschaft's name and initially thought it read "Gross Hell Hole".

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2019 15:11

GasLightStreet
Spud
GasLightStreet

I think it was in GOLDMINE magazine, from 1997, that talked about BLACK AND BLUE, that referenced the original idea of what eventually became IORR was - side A to be covers, hence Drift Away and Ain't To Proud To Beg, apparently, and side B to be live tracks from the GHS tour but something came up and they nixed that and worked on new songs, which started just after the GHS tour ended, which included the first version of Black Limousine with Ronnie, and about a month later Mick did IORR with Ronnie...

IORR was recorded relatively quickly, just as GHS was, compared to BAB, SG and ER. When they were recording BB, LIB, SF, it may not be that they spent a lot of time on the recordings, overall, but that they were doing so much things took a while. We know they worked a while on SFTD but JJF, SFM, Brown Sugar, Sway and on and on didn't take very long, based on what all they've not said about recording most of the songs on those albums.

As usual, there have been leftovers, finished and unfinished, from all of those albums, supposedly a couple of tracks Mick completed for TATTOO YOU as well, all the way up to A BIGGER BANG.

Their creative phase of BB-GHS was remarkable, and then they kinda got hazed up a bit with IORR and BAB, then with Ronnie, a new spark of creativity with SG-U, which took a nosedive after and has since been the Mick or Keith show ever since, with some Mick and Keith show happening here and there.

The last tweaking of previous sessions songs appeared to be during the 1982-83 U sessions, with Think I'm Going Mad being worked on in Nassau and Too Tough being a leftover idea from the BAB sessions, the hilarious Cellophane Trousers.

Good points here. That of GOATS HEAD SOUP and IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL were recorded relatively quickly cohers with Keith's claim that they "had turned to be lazy". I take that to mean that that sort of ambition to perfection they had had for four previous albums had decreased at least to a degree. And seemingly the inspiration had suffered also. Both rather natural phenomenons (addictions, established status and no such huge hunger any longer after having proved everything and more, new trends they had difficulties to adjust to, nomadic life style, the fall of Jimmy Miller, etc. belonging to the cake). There is that one description of recording "If You Can't Rock Me", which I think speaks volumes. They played the song again and again, but instead of hitting magical the 'right' take, the band just started sounding more and more tired until they just gave up, and decided 'that will do'. That it exactly sounds like in the finished recording.

As far as inspiration goes, I recall reading from some Stones biography that the reason for planning the follower of GOATS HEAD SOUP as a half cover/half live album was that of them lacking suitable original material. They weren't satisfied with GOATS HEAD SOUP and the future didn't looked much brighter either in that front. Keith's addiction, and him not any longer delivering the goods, had a huge role there. However, as they started doing the sessions it turned out that Keith had enough of new riffs and song sketches for Jagger/Richards songs to fill an album. Add there the lucky Ronnie Wood contribution.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2019 15:41

DandelionPowderman
They couldn't get a deal with Klein for the live 1973-stuff. He controlled the rights to some of the songs (BS, YCAGWYW, JJF, SFM etc.).

I think that was for 1972 ('the great lost') live album (that Klein & Decca managed to kill off). At the time they were speculating the follower of GOATS HEAD SOUP they were already awere of that problem with Klein (I recall Mick discussing this new project already during 1973 European Tour in some interviews). My guess is that they were thinking of filling the needed one side just with non-Klein-controlled material.

Anyway, the facts concerning all of this are vague, so who knows....

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 15:47 by Doxa.

Date: May 17, 2019 08:02

The more I listen to Save Me or Criss Cross Mind aka Criss Cross Man the more I wish it was on the LP.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 24 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home