Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 25
Re: Goat's Head Soup opinions
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 21, 2019 13:19

"Hide your love" is a weird song coming from the stones; it doesn't rock and roll.

The beat or the rhythm is awkward. Not dance friendly for sure. Mick Taylor's solo helps the song .May be the stones(jagger) wanted to experiment, try something new.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 21, 2019 13:36

One of my Stones favourites
Jeroen

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 21, 2019 14:50

GHS and Tattoo You are the 2 official records that feature Mick's face on the cover; just him. I wonder why? What marketing stategy was behind it. Was Keith asleep at those meetings?
In the end, GHS feels a little bit like a Jagger's record, intentionally or not.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 21, 2019 14:53

rollmops
"Hide your love" is a weird song coming from the stones; it doesn't rock and roll.

The beat or the rhythm is awkward. Not dance friendly for sure. Mick Taylor's solo helps the song .May be the stones(jagger) wanted to experiment, try something new.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Funny ain't it...

..That unique groove is the reason I like that song so much.

Date: January 21, 2019 14:53

rollmops
GHS and Tattoo You and the 2 official records that feature Mick's face on the cover; just him. I wonder why? What marketing stategy was behind it. Was Keith asleep at those meetings?
In the end, GHS feels a little bit like a Jagger's record, intentionally or not.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Keith was definitely asleep during the creation of TY, as they agreed on calling the album Tattoo. He was taken aback by the album title change smiling smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 21, 2019 15:42

Hide your love is fantastic! And so is the rest of the album. But that´s only me...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 21, 2019 16:03

The most serious and beautiful RS album

Date: January 21, 2019 16:10

KeithNacho

Sticky Fingers also springs to mind...

Date: January 21, 2019 16:18

Bjorn
Hide your love is fantastic! And so is the rest of the album. But that´s only me...

I agree.beautiful album
Jeroen

Date: January 21, 2019 17:48

DandelionPowderman
KeithNacho

Sticky Fingers also springs to mind...
Agree 100%

Date: January 21, 2019 17:50

The most serious Music is in both albums

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 21, 2019 18:24

great song - reminds me of something Taylor would play along John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers - How can a song not be good when Jagger says COME On BOY and Taylor rips is solo.

I love the fact that on Sweet Summer Sun DVD they use Hide Your Love with the Outro Credits of the DVD

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 21, 2019 21:16

OpenG
great song - reminds me of something Taylor would play along John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers - How can a song not be good when Jagger says COME On BOY and Taylor rips is solo.

I love the fact that on Sweet Summer Sun DVD they use Hide Your Love with the Outro Credits of the DVD

Took me 40 years to love Hide Your Love

Date: January 21, 2019 22:40

Let's create a goatheadsoapers club

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 21, 2019 22:50

KeithNacho
Let's create a goatheadsoapers club

Only if it's serious.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 21, 2019 23:13

It was a disappoint when it came out, after the Big 4 and Ya Yas. The Stones were at their peak infamy wise. 100 Years Ago sounded like the end. The mix was all over the place, with some songs not sounding as well recorded as others. Of course Angie dominated it.

With time I've learned to accept it for what it is, which ain't bad. Coming Down Again is heartbreaking. If it wasn't about Brian, Anita & Keith, it should have been.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 22, 2019 09:59

I suspect many of us would hold better opinions of some albums if we could learn to appreciate them in isolation, on their own terms....

...without constantly focussing on how they aren't as good as the much vaunted great albums that went before [ or came after winking smiley ]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 22, 2019 10:16

Not a very good album.
"100 years ago" is interesting, "Angie" is a very good ballad, "Winter" is a good occasion for Mick Taylor to shine (and I like how Jagger sings it), "Hide You Love" and "Can You Hear The Music" are okayish, the rest is either mediocre or just not good enough.

Date: January 22, 2019 11:17

It's the ballads that are the really strong tracks on GHS, imo. Angie and Coming Down Again in particular. Excellent songs.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 22, 2019 15:40

For the longest time, I thought GHS was their worst album, as in, keep Starf--ker and leave the rest. But I've since upgraded it to middling.

That opener, Mr. D is still awful. The next two are pretty good. I still detest Heartbreaker, and Angie is unbearably precious after Keith's intro.

Flip the record, and Silver Train ain't bad, but Johnny Winter did it better. Hide Your Love sounds like a demo, a cross between Exile on Main Street Blues and Shake Your Hips, with a nice Taylor solo at the end. Winter is the most fully realized song on the album, and oh that guitar break at the end, but where's Keith? Can You Hear the Music is awful, downer music, the Stones' Carouselambra, but with the tweetly flutes. And that song at the end is still pretty good. Tricks with fruit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 02:07 by ab.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 22, 2019 15:51

i loved it when it came out, and even more today. need to listen to it again. Heartbreaker is one of my faves, and has one of MT's best solos.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 22, 2019 19:22

Such a disappointment when it came out, now I love it. The last album with that Jimmy Miller feel, something was just different on the next one when the Glimmer Twins took over production. I've always said Exile was like the best party you ever went to, GHS was the after-party the next morning, blissfully reminiscent of the night before, but hazy, hungover, and a "little worse for wear & tear". Coming Down Again pretty much sums up the whole wonderful thing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-22 19:24 by Ross.

Date: January 22, 2019 19:29

Ross
Such a disappointment when it came out, now I love it. The last album with that Jimmy Miller feel, something was just different on the next one when the Glimmer Twins took over production. I've always said Exile was like the best party you ever went to, GHS was the after-party the next morning, blissfully reminiscent of the night before, but hazy, hungover, and a "little worse for wear & tear". Coming Down Again pretty much sums up the whole wonderful thing!
hot smileysmileys with beereye popping smiley
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-22 19:30 by runrudolph.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 23, 2019 02:43

Dan wrote:

I too, LOVE “Dancing With Mr. D”. The Story telling, the atmosphere, and at 8-9 years old it was like a ‘spooky camp fire’ story.

“…HeartBreaker” may have been a better choice, BUT, it does not evocative of the mood the album encompasses as a whole piece of work/art/package.

Looking back…self-reflection, confessional, are words NO ONE used on those iorr comments that I saw

“Coming Down Again” may be ‘junkie music’ to some. But to me, it is heartfelt, vulnerable, and beautiful with great lyrics. The Piece of pie he “slipped (my) tongue into “could represent most anything.

Dan,

I only sent half of the posts to you. I wish you could get online at work and join us.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 23, 2019 02:52

Bushy reviews Goats Head Soup: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: January 23, 2019 03:12

I definitely don't view GHS as a let down. Is it the same as the previous release, Hell No, however no album is. If it was, it would become a double album. Each album tells a story about a certain period with the band, a snapshot of life, emotions, actions. They all have a particular flavor and each one carries some similarities from the previous BUT, is never the same. GHS is just another chapter in the Stones Story.

Psychedelia -> Dark Swinging London -> End of the Revolution -> Living Fast, Partying Faster -> Traveling Through The Wild USA -> The Comedown After The Wild Party....and so on.
At least that's how I view it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 23, 2019 03:45

In '73, I was still happily under the spell of EOMS. It took a while to
pay attention to GHS, and its been growing and growing and growing ever since.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 23, 2019 03:45

Star Star should have been the opening song. Back to Berry and here we go.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 23, 2019 04:22

This may be surprising.

My 'personal' favorite Stones album. Sure.. I know it's not their best .. I understand it's not very commercial (<not that it should matter) ..but it is special to me.

A Winter time album if there ever was one (hence the song).

Different .. murky ... much solace. My personal favorite by them.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 23, 2019 10:06

I remember that back in the mid-1970s I really was struck by the sTicky Fingers and even more by the EOMS album. But then, GHS appeared more 'modern' because of the 'glam'-influenced Sound. Star Star and Heartbreaker sounded good (they were released as a single in Germany, if I correctly remember), and Angie was a mega hit.

Back in 1977 I bought the Nasty Music bootleg, and although I was immediately struck by the quality of the sound and performance (to this day I think it is one of the best live albums ever recorded) it took me a while to get used to the 'Angie' live version. Today I regard both versions as great, and sometimes I prefer the studio version while other times I like the live version more.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home