Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 25
Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 16, 2017 18:57

For me as a relatively new Stones fan, I wasn't fully aware of the staggering greatness that preceded the Goat. I just knew that I like the general sound of the Stones and GHS was the first new studio album that came out at a time when I was just old enough to have some cash - from a weekend gig cleaning floors at a local church! - and I could actually buy this new album. For me, DWMD sounded like Stones and I ate it up. If memory serves, I had not even heard Exile apart from TD and Happy yet! From today's perspective I can totally see how it was perceived as a big tumble from the Big Four but at the time I was too wet behind the ears to grasp all that. As for Majesties, I also did not have the experience of absorbing it in the year of it's release. I discovered it years later probably in the late 70's. From that perspective, all I knew was I liked the Stones rock and roll stuff and Majesties just seemed like a half-baked experiment despite a few really good tracks. I guess I must admit that being 13 in 1973, I was such a rabid new fan that I probably would have loved anything that sounded remotely Stones-like. It took me a few years to start to discern great Stones music from not as great. smiling smiley Probably for a good chunk of my teens, the Stones could have released almost anything and I would have thought it was brilliant!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 16, 2017 19:05

Rockman

UNCUT - The Ultimate Collector's Edition -- The Rolling Stones
Thanks for posting , very good read .

Re: Goat's Head Soup opinions
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 16, 2017 19:19

I never fully understood the hatred for Dancing with Mr. D. Sure it's not a Sympathy or a Gimme Shelter or a Brown Sugar, and yes the lyrics are cheesy, and yes it's a bit lazy sounding, but it has a great groove and guitar riff. Then again, I didn't hear it when it first came out, and therefore wasn't able to compare it to the Big 4 that came before. I was nine or ten at the time, and probably only heard Angie on the radio. I do remember my older brother having the album and looking at the creepy cover, but don't recall listening to it as a whole. My first Stones album was Made in the Shade in '75, so probably bought GHS not long after that. As for the album as a whole, this thread has given me a better understanding of the overall indifference from those who were big fans at the time, and the 'letdown' is understandable. I've always liked GHS and IORR equally, and think they're both better than Black and Blue.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 16, 2017 20:48

Hairball - <I've always liked GHS and IORR equally, and think they're both better than Black and Blue.>

Those are three very good albums even if they are not of "Big Four" quality. It's like comparing some of Dylan's albums to Blonde On Blond or Blood On The Tracks. Sometimes artists achieve a level of greatness they may never again live up to. But it doesn't mean that their other stuff isn't also good. It's just not perhaps of "masterpiece" quality. Even something less than the Mona Lisa could still be a very good painting. Sometimes I wonder...What if the Stones earliest work, or the big 4 had never come out? If Goats Head Soup or later albums were their debut to the world with nothing else to compare them to, how would they be received? It's all still some pretty good music in it's own right.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 16, 2017 22:07

Hairball
I never fully understood the hatred for Dancing with Mr. D. Sure it's not a Sympathy or a Gimme Shelter or a Brown Sugar, and yes the lyrics are cheesy, and yes it's a bit lazy sounding, but it has a great groove and guitar riff. /quote]

Without the lazy studio version we would not have the brillant 1973 live versions. It's the same with 100 years ago. They seen to have not recorded the concerts at Vienna and Mannheim where they performed it in professional quality, otherwise 100 years ago would have made a great bonus track on Brussels Affair.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: February 16, 2017 22:30

Dancing with Mr D almost pips Sad Sad Sad as the worst album opener. They've had so many fantastic ones but those 2 stand out as the duds.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2017 22:55

Went to catch a movie.... guess it was 73....
The shorts roll then unannounced on comes the Stones clips
three in a row...Silver Train wow !!!.... Then Dancing with Mr D with
Mick hammin' it in the gold-lame cod-piece jump suit ... Keef
lookin' wrecked... Taylor like me mum at a garden tea-party ... it was
cartoon rock and MrD had us on the floor laughin' ... not scary just
F'n funny...Then the beauty of Angie and those roses on the geeeeetars put us back in the seats....

Oh babeeee the Stones jumped us real-good.... we laughed & talked about it for days ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 16, 2017 23:08

Moonshine
Dancing with Mr D almost pips Sad Sad Sad as the worst album opener. They've had so many fantastic ones but those 2 stand out as the duds.

I love the almost morbid aura of this song. It works great both in the studio and Brussels'73

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: February 16, 2017 23:15

TheflyingDutchman
Moonshine

I love the almost morbid aura of this song. It works great both in the studio and Brussels'73[/quote

Song comes alive on Brussels, similar to IORR on Love You Live.
There's been some great openers on ok albums, Love is Strong, One Hit, Flip the Switch, Rough Justice.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 16, 2017 23:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-16 23:25 by tioms.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 17, 2017 03:54

TheflyingDutchman
Moonshine

I love the almost morbid aura of this song. It works great both in the studio and Brussels'73
Great song. Does not have to be a full speed rocker to be a good album opener.
Worked very well Live 1973. Just listen to Brussels Affair.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 17, 2017 04:16

It's a brilliant album, reminds me of when i was first a big fan in the early 90s. The only fault i find is the production could of done with a bit more Ooooomphh.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 17, 2017 05:59

Interesting, I'm realizing I have never hit the correct release dates to coincide with real time in my life until,
these last 2 years when I finally saw the Stones live and therefore,
allowed myself to participate in the 'now' w/ them.
So thank you IORR website
it's been fantastic for me.
(courtesy)

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: February 17, 2017 08:38

l love GHS! I love its diversity and at times experimentation and just how 'different' it actually is (and was) than Exile! My two least favorite songs on GHS are ironically (or maybe not) the two singles (Angie and Heartbreaker). 'Live' Angie (like from 'Brussels') is pretty good. I was never really big on the studio, Angie. Just my 2 cents worth. PS 'Exile' is still my favorite but GHS will always have an endearing place in my heart.

Jimmer

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 17, 2017 10:39

Love this mainstream attempt by Mick with the help of Taylor and Miller. This is one of those albums one can play to a non-stonesfan ("yeah i know totally 70s sound right?").

Great thread.

Date: February 17, 2017 11:41

Redhotcarpet
Love this mainstream attempt by Mick with the help of Taylor and Miller.

Er... confused smiley

«Dancing with Mr. D is my riff»

«Coming Down Again is my song».

«The basic melody and the title were mine» (Angie)

«Can You Hear the Music was my particular riff»

Add his playing on many of the other songs, and the claim that this is a Jagger/Taylor/Miller-album seems bizarre.

The whole vibe on this album – the druggy, calm, hazy, longing and slow atmosphere all is to be found in his songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-17 11:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 17, 2017 13:38

Yes Keith too of course I know but it's very much a Jagger construction with Taylor and Miller and Billy.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 17, 2017 20:02

this entire article is basically someone rewriting history.i don't have to imagine someone buying the new stones album and feeling the letdown after the brilliance of exile because i was there and remember it perfectly and it's frankly, a bunch of nonsense.
there was no "big four" or majesty of exile in all it's glory because beggars,let it bleed,ya ya's,sticky and exile were just stones albums,that's the stuff they put out.they hadn't yet been studied,lionized or set as testaments to the greatness of the band and rock and roll itself.

when goats head was released it was a huge album,it shot to number one and stayed there for weeks.you couldn't go anywhere without hearing angie on the radio and everyone talked about how beautiful and great the new rolling stones song was.the fact that one of the stones most important ballads gets trashed on this site just reminds me that about 65% of the people here believe the beatles were the best rock band ever,that kind of clueless mentality.

goats head was recorded during the break between the 72 and 73 tours,not exactly a downturn in their playing ability and is featured all over the best live album they ever did-brussels affair.
the songs came across great onstage,silver train was dropped from the set because it sounded too much like all down the line live,enough said.

since it's a goats head soup thread i'll once again explain dancing with mr d[it's been a tradition for ghs threads for years now]
this song starts off with one of the dirtiest,asskicking keith riffs on record,it just slithers out of the speakers followed closely by mick taylors slide,the music following the lyrics perfectly,you can almost see jagger standing in the dark night with the mist rising.
how anyone who like the stones cannot like this song just baffles me,i'd never even heard a stones fan say they didn't like it until reading people say it on the internet,it's bizarre.
again-dancing with mr d =dancing with death,not"the devil".the song is about dying,"down in the graveyard where we had our tryst" shot,poisoned,one of these days he gonna set you free...awesome stuff,great record.the stones didn't really have a fall off period fromn 62-81 it was just fluctuated
between great,greater and greatest.to say anyone was sitting there listening to their new copy of goats head and feeling letdown is just stupid,it stayed at number one for a month or so because word got out how great it was,not that it was a letdown-revisionist history on the internet,what a shock.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 17, 2017 20:17

lem motlow
this entire article is basically someone rewriting history.i don't have to imagine someone buying the new stones album and feeling the letdown after the brilliance of exile because i was there and remember it perfectly and it's frankly, a bunch of nonsense.
there was no "big four" or majesty of exile in all it's glory because beggars,let it bleed,ya ya's,sticky and exile were just stones albums,that's the stuff they put out.they hadn't yet been studied,lionized or set as testaments to the greatness of the band and rock and roll itself.

when goats head was released it was a huge album,it shot to number one and stayed there for weeks.you couldn't go anywhere without hearing angie on the radio and everyone talked about how beautiful and great the new rolling stones song was.the fact that one of the stones most important ballads gets trashed on this site just reminds me that about 65% of the people here believe the beatles were the best rock band ever,that kind of clueless mentality.

goats head was recorded during the break between the 72 and 73 tours,not exactly a downturn in their playing ability and is featured all over the best live album they ever did-brussels affair.
the songs came across great onstage,silver train was dropped from the set because it sounded too much like all down the line live,enough said.

since it's a goats head soup thread i'll once again explain dancing with mr d[it's been a tradition for ghs threads for years now]
this song starts off with one of the dirtiest,asskicking keith riffs on record,it just slithers out of the speakers followed closely by mick taylors slide,the music following the lyrics perfectly,you can almost see jagger standing in the dark night with the mist rising.
how anyone who like the stones cannot like this song just baffles me,i'd never even heard a stones fan say they didn't like it until reading people say it on the internet,it's bizarre.
again-dancing with mr d =dancing with death,not"the devil".the song is about dying,"down in the graveyard where we had our tryst" shot,poisoned,one of these days he gonna set you free...awesome stuff,great record.the stones didn't really have a fall off period fromn 62-81 it was just fluctuated
between great,greater and greatest.to say anyone was sitting there listening to their new copy of goats head and feeling letdown is just stupid,it stayed at number one for a month or so because word got out how great it was,not that it was a letdown-revisionist history on the internet,what a shock.

This. Lem nailed it.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 17, 2017 20:20

Yes to the above, I like that perspective! thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 17, 2017 20:30

Maybe it's all timing.
By the time I started listening to the Stones about 1976, the Big Four had already been canonized and the band felt campy and over the hill. 'Dancin' -- the claptrap lyrics and Jagger hamming it up in the video -- captured that.
But agreed that Angie was a great pop ballad.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 17, 2017 21:39

delete/ sorry.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-17 23:38 by 35love.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 18, 2017 04:39

HankM
No, The biggest let down is the albums, music and videos not released available (to me)... yet

Goats Head Soup is a great album letdownschmetdown

RipThisBone
HankM
btw- I didn't even click the link, they do not get my view with that title.
+ 1
thumbs upsmileys with beer

I still haven't read this click bait article, glad I didn't read it, I stand by my original comments... but I would surmise that the author of the article must be quite proud of him/her self as it caused all of this commotion which I imagine was the objective... and I would wager that the writer of the article would go and on and on and about what a huge true fan they are and writing and posting negative things about a band just proves what a fan they are... or some such nonsense...

Great album. Sign of the times. I have listened to it a 1000 times... I will listen to it a 1000+ more times or more.... anyone who discards this album based on claptrap is yadda yadda yadda

Date: February 18, 2017 13:55

Thank you Rockman, great article

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2017 13:56

PLEASURE .... redhot

ROCKMAN

Date: February 18, 2017 16:43

Redhotcarpet
Yes Keith too of course I know but it's very much a Jagger construction with Taylor and Miller and Billy.

I agree, you have to feel that.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 18, 2017 22:50

Moonshine

Stop taking the brown acid. Goats Head is steallar

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 19, 2017 02:03

A real goat head - my dinner tonight smileys with beer

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: February 19, 2017 03:24

Hairball
I never fully understood the hatred for Dancing with Mr. D. Sure it's not a Sympathy or a Gimme Shelter or a Brown Sugar, and yes the lyrics are cheesy, and yes it's a bit lazy sounding, but it has a great groove and guitar riff

Totally agree. It does everything you ask of a Stones song, and while I'm glad Heartbreaker still shows up every once in a while, this one could use to be brought out too. Given
- easy riff for Keith
- slide part for Ron
- interesting yet not challenging vocal for Mick
...you'd think it would be a natural fit for their set.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 19, 2017 14:37

Forbes and eBay have revealed "Goat's Head Soup" became the best selling vinyl record in 2016 in the state of Georgia, USA.
Fyi, "Revolver" was the best in New York.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-19 14:49 by Toru A.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home