Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 25
Re: Goat's Head Soup opinions
Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 14, 2017 18:13

Imagine if there wasn't bootlegs and all this trades by tapes in the early years, you woud tell that Tattoo You is a real good new album.
Pas a peine de s'branler les boyaux d'la tête guys. When it's good, it's good.

Date: February 14, 2017 18:18

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
To me one vital question is: What did the band in each case intend their release to be?

As there are several 1968/1969-songs on SF and Exile, those songs probably were intended for release on earlier albums.

I did not say recording, but release. That is, it was more or less a rhetorical question: What did the band mean, for instance, TATTOO YOU as?

I didn't say you did.

However, it was funny hearing Mick on the 1981 tour saying «here's an old blues number we'll play for you»... (It was started in 1972 or 1973, before Ronnie joined the Stones) But the song was brand new to the public: Black Limousine smiling smiley

Of course they intended to put the songs they had scraped off the barrel on a new album. Their working method was different on producing this «new» album, though.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 14, 2017 18:23

GasLightStreet
Just made a playlist of a longer GHS with...

Criss Cross Mind
Tops
Through The Lonely Nights
Waiting On A Friend

... and it's even more killer.

The other way round - making it an EP of four or five songs - would be a more satisfying thing to do, imo.

Goes like this:
01 Heartbreaker
02 Silver Train
03 Hide Your Love
04 Star Star
05 100 Years Ago

Accompanying single-release:
01 Angie
02 Can You Hear The Music

Date: February 14, 2017 18:25

GasLightStreet
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
To me one vital question is: What did the band in each case intend their release to be?

As there are several 1968/1969-songs on SF and Exile, those songs probably were intended for release on earlier albums.

I did not say recording, but release. That is, it was more or less a rhetorical question: What did the band mean, for instance, TATTOO YOU as?

A new LP, of course, which is was.

Old wine in new bottles, it was.

Date: February 14, 2017 18:29

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
That means that Sticky Fingers and Exile aren't real albums...

And LET IT BLEED and EMOTIONAL RESCUE and IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL and UNDERCOVER.

You know, U is not a real album because it has a song from 1975 on it.

Which song is it? Did they use the recording from 1975 or was it re-recorded?
Re-recording an unreleased song is tolerable, using old recordings for a new album isn´t.

If the re-record Honest Man for their new album, it´s ok.
If they use the vocal and/or instrumental track from back then, it´s cheating on us.

Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 14, 2017 19:44

GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Neighbours & Heaven were brand new songs especially written to go on TY.

They were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

Granted there was an embryonic take of each song for ER with guide vocals but they didn't really coalesce into proper songs until after ER was released......

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 14, 2017 19:52

GasLightStreet

Criss Cross Mind
Tops
Waiting On A Friend

You could also add You Should Have Seen Her Ass and Fast Talking Slow Walking.

Date: February 14, 2017 19:53

EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword

Granted there was an embryonic take of each song for ER with guide vocals but they didn't really coalesce into proper songs until after ER was released......

Neighbours did indeed. Love that version! We don't know about Heaven, other than that it was recorded on the ER sessions

Date: February 14, 2017 19:55

HMS
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Re-recording an unreleased song is tolerable, using old recordings for a new album isn´t.

If they use the vocal and/or instrumental track from back then, it´s cheating on us.

Cellophane Trousers later became Too Tough. Sounded different apart from the riff.

Date: February 14, 2017 20:11

DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword

Neighbours did indeed. Love that version! We don't know about Heaven, other than that it was recorded on the ER sessions

Well, according to Nico Zentgraf the ER sessions only produced one take of each with only guide vocals.....June - July 1979... [www.nzentgraf.de] ......the second takes didn't happen until late 1980...(I prefer to trust Nico than CD covers........

Date: February 14, 2017 20:29

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword

Well, according to Nico Zentgraf the ER sessions only produced one take of each with only guide vocals.....June - July 1979... [www.nzentgraf.de] ......the second takes didn't happen until late 1980...(I prefer to trust Nico than CD covers........

You can listen to Neighbours yourself in the "ER Guitars"-thread here on IORR. Great take! The lyrics aren't finished, but it's pretty close.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 14, 2017 20:54

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I didn't say you did.

However, it was funny hearing Mick on the 1981 tour saying «here's an old blues number we'll play for you»... (It was started in 1972 or 1973, before Ronnie joined the Stones) But the song was brand new to the public: Black Limousine smiling smiley

Of course they intended to put the songs they had scraped off the barrel on a new album. Their working method was different on producing this «new» album, though.

Well, it is not that important.

But you referred to composed and possibly recorded songs, maybe even finished ones. I wrote about one released album, meant as release of a new album.

Date: February 14, 2017 21:22

DandelionPowderman

As there are several 1968/1969-songs on SF and Exile

Can you (or someone else) be more precise please? Which songs are we talking about?

Does it mean they recorded or re-recorded songs written in 1968/69 during SF and EXILE-sessions? Or did they use indeed already-in-the-can-material from the 1968/69-period for SF/EXILE?

Revisiting leftovers and re-recording them isn´t a crime, but using finished takes from the past on a new release, well that´s very different. It would shed a new light on SF/EXILE artistically.

Date: February 14, 2017 21:24

Sister Morphine is from 1968, but it was recorded in March 1969. That's one..

Date: February 14, 2017 22:56

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I didn't say you did.

But you referred to composed and possibly recorded songs, maybe even finished ones. I wrote about one released album, meant as release of a new album.

But why? We all know that they released it as a new album.

Date: February 14, 2017 22:59

EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword

Here's Neighbours from the ER Sessions: [www.dropbox.com]

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: February 14, 2017 23:24

Exile On Main Street
Sticky Fingers
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Black and Blue
Aftermath
Some Girls
Out of Our Heads
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You

In that order today, different tomorrow

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 14, 2017 23:30

Once again, HMS finds a way to work in one of his favorite off-topic get-attention posts ("TY is not a real album" when the topic is GHS) and hijacks another thread. I'm not sure why anybody still takes him seriously. I guess there is a little entertainment value in some of the back & forth.

Date: February 14, 2017 23:35

DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword

There's alot more to that than Nico Zentgraf indicates it's true.....but....how does anyone know where these actual recordings come from, for example, I've got a CD called "Compass Point Works" part 1 which claims to have Neighbours take 1 but in fact has even more than the version you've posted.....almost full lyrics up to 1 and half minutes.........and then more lyrics to finish off....(I accept that Neighbours was started for ER sessions but who really knows which, if any of the available versions, is the true take one?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 15, 2017 00:12

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I didn't say you did.

But why? We all know that they released it as a new album.

Yes, of course, the rest of us know or ought to know. But HMS does not want to know. His prejudice was my target.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2017 01:38

HMS
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

With your terms, irrelevant. Just like your opinion.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:38

HMS
GasLightStreet

Criss Cross Mind
Tops
Waiting On A Friend

The other way round - making it an EP of four or five songs - would be a more satisfying thing to do, imo.

Goes like this:
01 Heartbreaker
02 Silver Train
03 Hide Your Love
04 Star Star
05 100 Years Ago

Accompanying single-release:
01 Angie
02 Can You Hear The Music

Nope.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:39

HMS
GasLightStreet
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

A new LP, of course, which is was.

Old wine in new bottles, it was.

Just like a lot of their albums. Funny how real Stones fans understand it.

For some reason, you can't. Then again, you think DIRTY WORK is a great album. That always sums it up.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:41

EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword

Those takes on TATTOO YOU are from the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions. They didn't record new takes. So in essence you're right - but the bottoms are from 1979.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:41

boogaloojef
GasLightStreet

Criss Cross Mind
Tops
Waiting On A Friend

You could also add You Should Have Seen Her Ass and Fast Talking Slow Walking.

I considered it - but they aren't finished, at least from the ones I listened to.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:44

HMS
DandelionPowderman

As there are several 1968/1969-songs on SF and Exile

Can you (or someone else) be more precise please? Which songs are we talking about?

Does it mean they recorded or re-recorded songs written in 1968/69 during SF and EXILE-sessions? Or did they use indeed already-in-the-can-material from the 1968/69-period for SF/EXILE?

Revisiting leftovers and re-recording them isn´t a crime, but using finished takes from the past on a new release, well that´s very different. It would shed a new light on SF/EXILE artistically.

For real true Stones fans it makes no difference. Clearly you are not one.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:44

HMS
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Said only a kook.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:51

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword

There's alot more to that than Nico Zentgraf indicates it's true.....but....how does anyone know where these actual recordings come from, for example, I've got a CD called "Compass Point Works" part 1 which claims to have Neighbours take 1 but in fact has even more than the version you've posted.....almost full lyrics up to 1 and half minutes.........and then more lyrics to finish off....(I accept that Neighbours was started for ER sessions but who really knows which, if any of the available versions, is the true take one?

They do a lot of takes sometimes. A bootleg is not necessarily definitive with the takes they recorded. A bootleg is can be wrong with information - that's why it's a bootleg. Regardless of that, Neighbours was recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE in 1979 (as was Heaven). It wasn't finished until 1981.

The band did not convene to record new bottoms for tracks that appeared on TATTOO YOU post-EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions because, through the actions of Chris Kimsey, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, none were needed - they had plenty to work with.

For some reason (it's assinine, I know) only one person here just can not understand, get, fathom or grasp that that still means they are new songs for a new album that is a new release.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 15, 2017 02:09

What was Bianca giving to Steve McQueen?

Date: February 15, 2017 02:41

HankM
What was Bianca giving to Steve McQueen?

?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home