Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 25
Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2017 18:23

My first Stones album was Tattoo You. I remember thinking Undercover was a letdown after that one. And even more so Dirty Work. And, in fact, every album to come after that...

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 4, 2017 18:25

Couple of thoughts on this,

1. Exile, unlike Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, And Beggar's is not as easily digested. Exile's full brilliance is not as obvious on its first listen, it has obious sparks, but as a whole it is an album thst needs to marinate and breathe before it blooms in the masterpiece it most surely is. The initial reviews of Exile were not overall favorable. Most of those that laud it as a career crowning achievement are writtin months, years and decades after it was released

2. GHS suffers not just to following Exile, but also to foloowing the Triumphant '72 Tour...where they were Rock and Roll excess, the ultimste stars, the band that survived and thrived following the 60s...Dieties.

3. The letdown, in my opinion is that people expected a bombastic rock and roll assault and instead got a laid back, lush, reflective, and brooding musical exhale...

GHS has grown in status to me personally...they fall-off to me happens on Its Only Rock and Roll...thats when the cracks appear...lovely and brilliant cracks, but a very disjointed release (IORR)

GHS is very similar to Led Zeppelin III, a well crafted 'hidden' master work that is completely opposite of what was expected and after time reveals a new level of artistry

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 4, 2017 18:43

"...It's still stunning how quickly the Stones slipped into lazy decadence, definitively ending a period of sustained brilliance dating back to 1968's 'Beggars Banquet' that's among the most impressive in rock history."

I have no problem w that sentence.

That's what all the hype drama and exploitive headline of the article boils down to;
it's not even an article it's click bait thing with a few sentences; i didn't scroll thru their list or look around. Obviously some great tracks; some stunners that are better than entire careers of other bands...i didn't feel it 'let me down' but as far as 'drop off' in what i could actually use to fuel my life; it wasn't making on the turntable that much without picking and choosing tracks; it was the first time my friends would goof on Jagger's drama when they sang along...it wasn't realiably worthwhile to me as had been most everything before..

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 4, 2017 18:44

No doubt about it, GHS is and will remain their weakest album. It´s just boring and toothless. Some of the songs are pure "MUZAK". Horrible compared to everything that came before and almost everything that came after. It would be easy to put the blame on Taylor, but it wasn´t Taylor alone who messed it up. All of them did. First of all, mediocre songwriting. Then sometimes ridiculous vocal delivery. Uh, so much went wrong, I could go on for an hour or two... Even the sequence of the songs is bad. They opened with the wrong track and closed with the wrong track.

Dancing With Mr. D --- 0/10
100 Years Ago --- 3/10
Coming Down Again --- 0/10
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) --- 10/10
Angie --- 1/10
Silver Train --- 3/10
Hide Your Love --- 10/10
Winter --- 1/10
Can You Hear The Music --- 2/10
Star Star --- 10/10

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 4, 2017 18:46

Stoneage
My first Stones album was Tattoo You. I remember thinking Undercover was a letdown after that one. And even more so Dirty Work. And, in fact, every album to come after that...

Undercover was a great rock sounding record, very modern and up to date with the current times, sadly it was released just when the music world was into something else: MTV, Michael Jackson, the Police, early Heavy Metal, etc.

Stones' fans were expecting a new Start Me Up at the time, a classic and direct rock song, not a new wave sounding tune as UOTN.

Result: Stones' fans were disappointed and general audience couldn't care less about a Stones' album in 1983-84, even less without a tour behind it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2017 19:01

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
The only real great songs are Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Silver Train and Coming Down Again.

Angie and Coming Down Again are the only great songs, and those songs are also setting the mood of the album, imo.

The "letdown" surely has something to do with that mood, after the energetic Exile?

100 Years Ago is a mighty fine tune imo, thanks in large part to Mick Taylor, the unique clavinet, and the extended jam at the end.
Silver Train on the other hand has never been a real favorite, and although there's nothing really wrong with it, there's also nothing truly great about it - it just exists.
As for Angie, it's one of their greatest ballads and I actually prefer it to Coming Down Again which might seem sacrilege to some.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) simply rocks - I have fond memories of listening to it on Made in the Shade as a 12 year old.
Once again, Mick Taylor's guitar playing is exquisite, there's good lyrics, Mick is great, Charlie kicks it hard, and the horn section is top notch.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2017 19:08

Yep, that was it georgelicks. I was expecting a Tattoo You II I guess...

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 4, 2017 19:10

I was in college. I had seen a concert on the '72 tour (which may still be the best concert I've ever seen). I loved the earlier albums. I loved the Stones. My roommate bought it. And I felt really let down.

I hated Angie. Always have. I thought it was way too pop. Also, too much of the album (and the marketing) seemed pointed in the glam rock direction -- which seemed like they were chasing relevance, instead of stretching and doing their own musical development.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 4, 2017 19:10

rattler2004

2. GHS suffers not just to following Exile, but also to foloowing the Triumphant '72 Tour...where they were Rock and Roll excess, the ultimste stars, the band that survived and thrived following the 60s...Dieties.

3. The letdown, in my opinion is that people expected a bombastic rock and roll assault and instead got a laid back, lush, reflective, and brooding musical exhale...

Very good points. Anyone who saw them play live in 1972-73 must have been expecting the Stones new LP to be incredible, capturing the same fire with which they had been playing on stage. It must have been a tremendous letdown when GHS, released at the beginning of the '73 European Tour, turned out to be the antithesis of the Stones stage performances. I had a very similar experience with The Who's Face Dances LP. After seeing them live at MSG in '79, I was expecting something very different from what I heard on their next album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-04 19:51 by tatters.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: February 4, 2017 19:24

I love GHS.

Date: February 4, 2017 20:07

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
The only real great songs are Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Silver Train and Coming Down Again.

Angie and Coming Down Again are the only great songs, and those songs are also setting the mood of the album, imo.

The "letdown" surely has something to do with that mood, after the energetic Exile?

100 Years Ago is a mighty fine tune imo, thanks in large part to Mick Taylor, the unique clavinet, and the extended jam at the end.
Silver Train on the other hand has never been a real favorite, and although there's nothing really wrong with it, there's also nothing truly great about it - it just exists.
As for Angie, it's one of their greatest ballads and I actually prefer it to Coming Down Again which might seem sacrilege to some.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) simply rocks - I have fond memories of listening to it on Made in the Shade as a 12 year old.
Once again, Mick Taylor's guitar playing is exquisite, there's good lyrics, Mick is great, Charlie kicks it hard, and the horn section is top notch.

It's limited how hard Charlie can "kick it" on Angie, Winter, Coming Down Again, Hide Your Love and most of 100 Years Ago.

That's half of the album.

Lead guitar can never save the songs or an album per se, imo. I like the first half of 100 Years Ago best, for instance. Maybe the song would have been a classic with the acoustic treatment?

Taylor's playing on a somewhat formulaic Hide Your Love is excellent, though.

Silver Train and Star Star are not real Stones rockers. Something is missing, imo. Keef's rhythm?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 4, 2017 20:44

The Stones biggest let down. No way. Not by any measure. Their biggest let down (s) started with Steel Wheels, and culminated with A Bigger Bang. GHS is a funky eclectic album melding the vibe of Exile with a foot in a new funkier direction. A very underrated album.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 4, 2017 21:38

After moving out of England to settle in the south of France where they eventually found themselves not wellcome, the rolling stones didn't have a "pied a terre" anymore. Jamaica must have been a place away from the european madness at least for a while.There they made GHS. "StarStar" should have opened the album and Dancing with Mister D." closed it. With the strings on "Angie", one could tell the Stones wanted to go mainstream and they did. It is true that GHS is very disparate and doesn't have much cohesion. May be that is why it is still not well received.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: February 4, 2017 21:40

whitem8
The Stones biggest let down. No way. Not by any measure. Their biggest let down (s) started with Steel Wheels, and culminated with A Bigger Bang. GHS is a funky eclectic album melding the vibe of Exile with a foot in a new funkier direction. A very underrated album.

Letdown, in this context, doesn't mean worst album, it just means a "dud" (relatively speaking) immediately following on the heels of something great. I can't really consider Steel Wheels to be a letdown because after Undercover and Dirty Work no one was really expecting them to ever make another great record. Steel Wheels is by no means great, but most people (not me, necessarily) consider it to be an improvement on the album that preceded it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-04 21:45 by tatters.

Date: February 4, 2017 21:42

UrbanSteel
Someone who calls Goats Head Soup, Stones Most Biggest let down album, must be an idiot.

Seemingly Keith Richards called it a junky album.

I don't like @#$%& on the album, a bit "empty". The other songs sound quite ok to me, and the '73 live versions are realy great , imo.

Date: February 4, 2017 21:45

TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel
Someone who calls Goats Head Soup, Stones Most Biggest let down album, must be an idiot.

I don't like @#$%& on the album, a bit "empty". The other songs sound quite ok to me, and the '73 live versions are realy great , imo.

The songs came to life in concert indeed. Mr D, Heartbreaker, Star Star and Angie were excellent. 100 Years Ago as well.

Date: February 4, 2017 21:48

I expected great things when they "reunited" for Steel Wheels. But in fact it turned out to be one of their most disappointing albums.

The tension and anger of WWIII was good for the aggressive sound of DW.
Steel Wheels suffered from smoking the peace pipe.

Date: February 4, 2017 21:54

HMS
I expected great things when they "reunited" for Steel Wheels. But in fact it turned out to be one of their most disappointing albums.

The tension and anger of WWIII was good for the aggressive sound of DW.
Steel Wheels suffered from smoking the peace pipe.

Ah, they were in their mid-forties by that time. I might have been delusionally hoping against hope that they still had one more good one left in them, but seriously, what rock musician has ever really had anything of musical or lyrical importance left to say when they're 45 years old? It's all been said long before then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-04 21:56 by tatters.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 4, 2017 22:04

The argument for the letdown was made from the day they released GHS. From wikipedia :

Lester Bangs derided the effort in Creem, saying, "There is a sadness about the Stones now, because they amount to such an enormous 'So what?' The sadness comes when you measure not just one album, but the whole sense they're putting across now against what they once meant..."

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 4, 2017 22:15

Thanks for the reminder. Didn't play it for a long time. Just played it again. Great album.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 4, 2017 22:45

Just changed the sequence of songs. Doesn´t make it a better album in fact, but it´s a more comfortable listening experience, imo. Side A is pretty good rocking, while Side B is a good start for an afternoon nap:

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Silver Train
Hide Your Love
Star Star
Dancing With Mr. D.

Angie
Winter
Coming Down Again
100 Years Ago
Can You Hear The Music

I am seriously thinking about removing Coming Down Again completely. It´s just too boring.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 4, 2017 22:58

whitem8

thumbs up

Date: February 4, 2017 23:48

ABB a let-down? ABB re-established them as a basically 4-men band and rocks like hell most of the time, while VL had too many cheesy ballads and other fillers, B2B was more a mix of Jagger- and Richards-solo-songs than a genuine Stones-album and it was also loaded with guest musicians. ABB is their best album of originals since DW. And it´s better than GHS, of course.

Date: February 5, 2017 00:22

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

It's limited how hard Charlie can "kick it" on Angie, Winter, Coming Down Again, Hide Your Love and most of 100 Years Ago.

Lead guitar can never save the songs or an album per se, imo. I like the first half of 100 Years Ago best, for instance. Maybe the song would have been a classic with the acoustic treatment?

Silver Train and Star Star are not real Stones rockers. Something is missing, imo. Keef's rhythm?

In case it was unclear, I was referring to Charlie "kicking it" specifically to Heartbreaker, as obviously there's not much kicking on Angie, Winter, Coming Down Again, and Hide Your Love.

As for 100 years ago, it already is a classic in my mind. Giving it the acoustic treatment would have been different for sure, but I don't think it could possibly have been better as the final blast of momentum and blazing guitar are a big part of it's charm. That's almost like saying CYHMK might have been better if given the acoustic treatment?!!! As someone who loves and appreciates a great lead guitar (from Hendrix to Page to Blackmore to Clapton to J.Beck to Duane Allman to Mick Taylor to Johnny Winter, etc. etc., etc.), I think a great solo can elevate a song to a higher level - even saving a mediocre tune. But that's not saying a lead solo is necessary to make a great song or album - there's plenty of great rock music that has not even a hint of a great solo or any type of solo at all. Some great Stones songs featuring Ronnie on lead would be an example of mediocre playing that doesn't take away from the tune as a whole, and alot of great Punk rock features no solos at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 00:24 by Hairball.

Date: February 5, 2017 00:32

May be it is not one their best achievements....but if you compare it to the music you can hear nowadays in the avearge radio stations...this record is a mix of Mozart, Elvis, Berrt, Bach...

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: February 5, 2017 00:56

I agree, M Taylor solo is the highlight of the album for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 00:58 by capsula.

Date: February 5, 2017 01:25

TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel

I believe it was "junkie" and not "junky". A huge difference smiling smiley

Date: February 5, 2017 01:25

capsula
I agree, M Taylor solo is the highlight of the album for me.

His contribution was limited, but what he played was excellent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 01:26 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 5, 2017 01:31

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

In case it was unclear, I was referring to Charlie "kicking it" specifically to Heartbreaker, as obviously there's not much kicking on Angie, Winter, Coming Down Again, and Hide Your Love.

As for 100 years ago, it already is a classic in my mind. Giving it the acoustic treatment would have been different for sure, but I don't think it could possibly have been better as the final blast of momentum and blazing guitar are a big part of it's charm. That's almost like saying CYHMK might have been better if given the acoustic treatment?!!! As someone who loves and appreciates a great lead guitar (from Hendrix to Page to Blackmore to Clapton to J.Beck to Duane Allman to Mick Taylor to Johnny Winter, etc. etc., etc.), I think a great solo can elevate a song to a higher level - even saving a mediocre tune. But that's not saying a lead solo is necessary to make a great song or album - there's plenty of great rock music that has not even a hint of a great solo or any type of solo at all. Some great Stones songs featuring Ronnie on lead would be an example of mediocre playing that doesn't take away from the tune as a whole, and alot of great Punk rock features no solos at all.

I meant that the songwriting is remarkably strong on the first half of 100 Years Ago, while the ending is a funky groove that doesn't really belong together with the first half, imo. It's not going to a higher level for me.

Not sure what Can You Hear the Music has to do with this, as that song is built up around that electric psychedelic groove. That's a song where Taylor's playing takes it to a higher level, btw. Love it.

Date: February 5, 2017 01:49

DandelionPowderman
Not sure what Can You Hear the Music has to do with this...

?

CYHMK = Can't You Hear Me Knocking

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home