Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rediscovering TSMR
Date: February 10, 2017 12:48

matxil
flilflam
TSMR stands for Their Satanic Majesties Request. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out. Hopkins, if you want people to participate in your thread, you need to be more specific. Not being sarcastic, but just trying to help out.

If I said my favorite Stones songs were GGA, TAY, LWYD, or SS, would you instantly know what I was referring to?

Yes, it's difficult, and at the beginning I was constantly at a loss but after a while you get used to it. The longer ones (YCAGWYW) are the easiest. It's the short ones that are more diffucult but normally they're only used for the greatest hits. I don't think I have ever seen someone referring to certain songs as H or S or S or S or S smiling smiley. Sometimes googling helps too (i.e. try "Rolling Stones SFTD" ).
Still, the distinction between Beggars Banquet, Between The Buttons, Black And Blue, Bridges To Babylon and Brigit Bardotte often escapes me.

The short ones are usually named with the full titles before abbreviations later on in the same thread.

Songs titles are seldom abbreviated out of the blue. There'll be some kind of discussion first.

Album titles shouldn't be that hard to get after a few years on here, though.

Re: Rediscovering 'Their Satanic Majesties Request'
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 10, 2017 12:50

HonkeyTonkFlash
I guess I should go listen to Majesties again. While I've continued to listen to the standout tracks, it's been so long that I can't even remember what Gomper or Lantern sounded like. But in my general history of Stones fandom, this is the only album where I've let some of it completely disappear from my memory. Guess those tracks didn't leave much of an original impression.

The beginning of Gomper (the vocal melody) always reminds me of a certain song of Velvet Underground (Lady Godiva's Operation) but then it decays in a new-age-hippy jam. The Lantern has great guitars, but the vocals are a bit too hippy-ish. Still, it kinda works.

Date: February 10, 2017 13:04

matxil
HonkeyTonkFlash
I guess I should go listen to Majesties again. While I've continued to listen to the standout tracks, it's been so long that I can't even remember what Gomper or Lantern sounded like. But in my general history of Stones fandom, this is the only album where I've let some of it completely disappear from my memory. Guess those tracks didn't leave much of an original impression.

The beginning of Gomper (the vocal melody) always reminds me of a certain song of Velvet Underground (Lady Godiva's Operation) but then it decays in a new-age-hippy jam. The Lantern has great guitars, but the vocals are a bit too hippy-ish. Still, it kinda works.

The vocals are kind of freaky, but with cool harmonies. Not unlike the vocals on Child Of The Moon.

Aerosmith must have been inspired by these songs when arranging Sweet Emotion, which sounds very much like COTM, vocal-wise, imo.

Re: Rediscovering TSMR
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 10, 2017 14:56

matxil
flilflam
TSMR stands for Their Satanic Majesties Request. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out. Hopkins, if you want people to participate in your thread, you need to be more specific. Not being sarcastic, but just trying to help out.

If I said my favorite Stones songs were GGA, TAY, LWYD, or SS, would you instantly know what I was referring to?

Yes, it's difficult, and at the beginning I was constantly at a loss but after a while you get used to it. The longer ones (YCAGWYW) are the easiest. It's the short ones that are more diffucult but normally they're only used for the greatest hits. I don't think I have ever seen someone referring to certain songs as H or S or S or S or S smiling smiley.

Agree, It sometimes takes me a min to figure some out ... CYHMK is a common one and probably the easiest (well, next to YCAGWYW) but even well known songs take me a while sometimes ... HTW is obvious now that I am thinking of it in my head, but when someone refers to it, and not in context of that era, I will typically be lost. I will at least usually refer to it as Honky if I don't feel like typing it all out.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 10, 2017 15:54

DandelionPowderman
matxil
HonkeyTonkFlash

The vocals are kind of freaky, but with cool harmonies. Not unlike the vocals on Child Of The Moon.

Aerosmith must have been inspired by these songs when arranging Sweet Emotion, which sounds very much like COTM, vocal-wise, imo.

And quite a few songs on Get Your Wings like Spaced or Seasons Of Wither.

Date: February 10, 2017 15:59

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
matxil
HonkeyTonkFlash

And quite a few songs on Get Your Wings like Spaced or Seasons Of Wither.

Yep thumbs up

Re: Rediscovering 'Their Satanic Masjesties Request'
Date: February 10, 2017 16:00

This remains one of my favourite Stones albums. I got it back in 1968 and have loved its quirkiness ever since. Citadel is the perfect rock song with a hint of the future tucked into its sound. The only waste is Sing This All Together (See What Happens Part 2)) and the last part of Gomper. Otherwise, to me, it's an incredible fusion of futurism, psychedelia, and straight out rock/pop.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 11, 2017 18:25

Citadel, 2000 Man, In Another Land, She's a Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home and The Lantern are great the other four songs are not listenable for me. A decent attempt at psychedelic rock but it was not really the Stones thing.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 20, 2017 14:56

Grr, you people!

Child of the Moon was written and recorded after Their Satanic Majesties Request was released, thus impossible for it to have been included on the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 14:57 by His Majesty.

Date: February 20, 2017 15:09

His Majesty
Grr, you people!

Child of the Moon was written and recorded after Their Satanic Majesties Request was released, thus impossible for it to have been included on the album.

Sacrilege! winking smiley

Date: February 20, 2017 15:49

His Majesty
Grr, you people!

I don't really care when it was recorded. It still would have made TSMR a better album, instead of Sing This All etc... and On With The Show

Date: February 20, 2017 17:27

matxil
His Majesty
Grr, you people!

I don't really care when it was recorded. It still would have made TSMR a better album, instead of Sing This All etc... and On With The Show

Yeah, but it's stupid to talk of including a 1968 track on an album released in 1967.

Jumpin' Jack Flash would have made it a better album too! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 17:29 by His Majesty.

Date: February 21, 2017 00:32

His Majesty
matxil
His Majesty
Grr, you people!

Yeah, but it's stupid to talk of including a 1968 track on an album released in 1967.

Jumpin' Jack Flash would have made it a better album too! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
It's understandable. COTM seems to have made its first appearance in '67 during the "Satanic" sessions. And (I think) it s on the Satanic Box Sets.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:44

Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty
matxil
His Majesty
Grr, you people!

It's understandable. COTM seems to have made its first appearance in '67 during the "Satanic" sessions. And (I think) it s on the Satanic Box Sets.

But it was just an idea. It was no where near the song we know it as. They didn't work on it until the BB sessions. So no Child Of The Moon for TSMR.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:51

Says you who doesnt care about when a song was written/recorded? If they had re-released TSMR in 1974 and had included Child Of The Moon you´d be the last one to complain.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 16:57

HMS
Says you who doesnt care about when a song was written/recorded? If they had re-released TSMR in 1974 and had included Child Of The Moon you´d be the last one to complain.

Poor baby. Can't understand that a song written at the end of a recording session and finished during the next album's sessions can't go on the previous album since it wasn't anywhere near being finished for it.

Date: February 21, 2017 16:59

His Majesty
matxil
His Majesty
Grr, you people!

No, it wouldn't because it's got a completely different style. JJF clearly already belongs to the era of Beggars Banquet and everything that comes after that. Whereas Child Of The Moon clearly has that psychedelic feel that reminds one of TSMR. If you would have said Continental Drift, it would have been slightly more to the point even though of course it's in lots of ways very different from TSMR.
Anyway, I got the feeling we're moving in the HSM vs GLS "TY is/is-not a real album" territory here, so I'll let it rest.

Date: February 25, 2017 01:39

Palace Revolution 2000

No proof it appeared during TSMR sessions. Mick wrote it during his holiday in South America in late 67/early 68.

Those two takes of COTM on the box set, like Jigsaw Puzzle, are from 1968.

Date: February 25, 2017 01:42

matxil

No, it wouldn't because it's got a completely different style. JJF clearly already belongs to the era of Beggars Banquet and everything that comes after that. Whereas Child Of The Moon clearly has that psychedelic feel that reminds one of TSMR.

Musically it's really not any different to various tracks form the 1967 sessions and it does have an LSD sheen/vibe to it.

Facts are facts though, COTM couldn't have been on TSMR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-25 01:45 by His Majesty.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 25, 2017 02:00

Gomper

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 25, 2017 18:37

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

No proof it appeared during TSMR sessions. Mick wrote it during his holiday in South America in late 67/early 68.

The earliest takes of COTM sound like mid 1967, not 1968. I have three or four early instrumental takes. The lyrics may stem from the holidays.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: February 25, 2017 19:39

This would've made a much better album in my opinion...

01 - Sing it all together
02 - Citadel
03 - In Another Land
04 - 2000 Man
05 - We Love You

06 - Dandelion
07 - The Lantern
08 - She's A Rainbow
09 - 2000 Light Years From Home
10 - On With The Show

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 25, 2017 22:29

Masjesties... smoking smiley

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: February 25, 2017 22:48

Here are my thoughts about the album. There are some really great moments and then some really low moments. Should've been compiled better.

Sing This All Together 6/10
Citadel 9/10
In Another Land 6/10
2000 Man 7/10
Sing This All Together (See What Happens) 1/10
She's A Rainbow 6/10 (should be shorter)
The Lantern 7/10
Gomper 7/10
2000 Light Years From Home 10/10
On With The Show 4/10

My compilation:

1. Intro of Sing This All Together (See What Happens) + Sing This All Together
2. Dandelion
3. Gold Painted Nails
4. She's A Rainbow (shorter intro)
5. Citadel
6. Title 15
7. We Love You
8. Finale of Sing This All Together (See What Happens)

1. Soul Blues 3
2. On With The Show
3. 2000 Man
4. The Lantern
5. In Another Land
6. Cosmic Christmas
7. Gomper
8. 2000 Light Years From Home

I've edited those GPN, T15 and SB3 to shorter length to be just links between songs.

That's the running order I listen at car but when I listen to vinyl I of course settle for the original running order...

Posted by: sheldi ()
Date: February 26, 2017 00:39

Great album. I've loved it since I first heard it 1977 ... a top 5 for me, though I agree, On With The Show should've been bumped for Dandelion.

What happened to English Summer btw?

Date: February 26, 2017 03:24

Monsoon Ragoon

The earliest takes of COTM sound like mid 1967, not 1968. I have three or four early instrumental takes. The lyrics may stem from the holidays.

They are from 1968.

Keith playing in open D, Mick gently singing lyrics in background, Jimmy Miller heard talking at the end.

Date: February 26, 2017 11:10

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

Yes, but I;m not talking about proof,I am saying it is understandable for someone to throw COTM in with Satanic bag.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: February 26, 2017 12:46

i think 50th anniversary is a great opportunity to do superdeluxe box. There's a plenty of unreleased music from Satanic sessions, it's very attractive cover art. That would be very intersting. In fact RS should start to release stuff from 63-69 period. I'm there will be Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed boxes sometime but i'd love to buy one with buttons or satanic sessions and Aftermath of course.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home