Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The best live Satisfaction is......
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 4, 2017 17:49

GasLightStreet
stanlove
GasLightStreet
stanlove
Its one of those songs they just can't perform well live. Add that to Street Fighting Man, Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, and others.

With exception to one tour (STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE) they've always done great versions of Street Fighting Man and for the most part (other than it going on for 3 hours on some tours) Brown Sugar.

Jumpin' Jack Flash they haven't done worth a damn since 1969-1971.

If you think any of those live versions are even in the same league as the Record versions i don't know what to tell you.

They go from tight masterpiece to sloppy butchering.

Street Fighting Man on GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! is exceptional and better than the album version. They also did an outstanding version of it on the LICKS tour. And the one on STRIPPED is killer.

Jumpin' Jack Flash from 1969-1971 is better than the studio version.

So don't worry about not knowing what to tell me.

Street Fighting Man from At the Max is a great one!

1. Jumpin Jack Flash - Live in Tokyo, Korakuen Stdium Big Egg, Japan, February 27, 1990 - (From Flashpoint)

2. Tumbling Dice - Live in London, England, Wembley Stadium, August 24, 1990 - (From At The Max Movie)

3. Street Fighting Man - Live in London, England, Wembley Stadium, August 25 1990 - (From At The Max Movie)

Date: February 4, 2017 17:51

Favorite Satisfaction... LA 1969!

[bootlegpedia.com]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 4, 2017 21:30

hyde park 2013 was a killer
rough guitars and lots of power...
The knebworth-version is not that bad too.
and the middle part of the 1989-90 version is niiiiice "..gimme one time - daaaang!"

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 4, 2017 21:40

GasLightStreet
stanlove
Its one of those songs they just can't perform well live. Add that to Street Fighting Man, Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, and others.

With exception to one tour (STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE) they've always done great versions of Street Fighting Man and for the most part (other than it going on for 3 hours on some tours) Brown Sugar.

Jumpin' Jack Flash they haven't done worth a damn since 1969-1971.

They did great versions of JJF on the last couple of tours... maybe you were sleeping?

BS & SFM are always highlights. Never a bad version.
Satisfaction was best when they used it as opener.
As a show-stopper it became too long.

Date: February 4, 2017 21:48

They never got the intro right on SFM before 1989 in concert, imo.

JJF was killer on the Glastonbury-gig!

Date: February 4, 2017 22:26

dcba
1972 with Stevie! thumbs up

Absolutely, freestyle with the horns and all...They made a party out of it ; a cocaine party that is.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 5, 2017 06:40

The best live renditions of "Satisfaction" outside of the 1969 to '72 period were from '97 and '98. Followed by '02 and '03.

There is a great recording of the June 13th,1998 version of "Satisfaction" on the unofficial 'Web Choices' CD .... of all places. It seems to be cut by about a half of a minute but,great sound quality (much better than YouTube) and anything but boring.

"Street Fighting Man" is always great live besides the '75 to '81 versions. Many different but great versions. Arena show opener in '02 / '03. Kansas City 2015. Mexico City in 2016 wasn't bad either. The 2003 'Four Flicks' stadium show video from the b-stage is an example of the modern era Stones at their absolute best.

"Brown Sugar" ,with a couple of exceptions,is not that great in the modern era. It really pales in comparison to the early '70's versions up to 1973. It's obviously not alone in that regard but,the difference with "Brown Sugar" is more stark than with most other songs performed in both time periods. The best modern versions of "Brown Sugar" for my money were the '02 / '03 stadium show openers and the 2005 press conference performance followed by the '97 / '98 versions. Versions since after the 2005 press conference ended don't thrill me very much.

"Jumping Jack Flash" has held up better in my opinion. It wasn't the highlight of the 'Desert Trip' concerts but,otherwise it is usually a great live song. The best modern era versions of "Jumping Jack Flash" were from '97 to '03 in my opinion. Rio in 2006 was pretty good as well.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: February 6, 2017 08:49

The best live Satisfaction is.....by Otis Redding.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 6, 2017 09:54

Hate to say it...but I've never really liked any live version of Satisfaction.

If I had the pick my favourites I'd have to go with the funked up versions with a few extra slurred 7th guitar chords chucked in to mimic horn stabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-06 10:25 by Spud.

Date: February 6, 2017 10:19

They never obtained this groove again. Charlie's pounding, Keith's backing vocals and a guitar that shoots out the riff. So powerful.

I can understand the love for the more funky 1969-1971 (1972 was different)-versions, but I can't fathom why a version of Satisfaction without its main asset: the riff can be superior.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-06 10:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 6, 2017 14:40

GasLightStreet
stanlove
GasLightStreet
stanlove
I guess we will agree to disagree. If you like sloppy songs that sound basically no different then any other song they play live then I get it. Love the sloppy unlistenable vocals also.

I prefer tight masterpieces.

I will not agree to disagree. What's astounding is your inability to hear how what I mentioned is or are better than the studio versions - just like Honky Tonk Women from LOVE YOU LIVE blows away the studio version.

There's nothing sloppy about them and they do not sound "no different than any other song they play live". Why you can't understand that is your loss.

You are wrong again.

Nope.

You're not able to hear the quality of those performances. You're using Classic Rock radio ears.

Nope you are just wrong and your argument makes no sense since I love live versions of many songs better the the record version. Tight masterpiece cannot be replaced by screaming vocals and sloppy aimless music that sounds like any other Stones song.

Date: February 6, 2017 15:24

Spud
Hate to say it...but I've never really liked any live version of Satisfaction.

If I had the pick my favourites I'd have to go with the funked up versions with a few extra slurred 7th guitar chords chucked in to mimic horn stabs.

I agree, and frankly I don't understand why the Stones themselves aren't bored to death by playing it over and over again after al these years.

However, for the guitarists on this board the version below has a nice Hendrix E7#9 chord at 2:45 sharp. A novelty in Stonesland as far as I know --->

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 6, 2017 16:15

I am a huge fan of live Stones music. I often prefer live versions of songs to their studio counterparts even if they're not as perfect technically. I dig the vibe and excitement of the live performance. However, Satisfaction is one that often falls flat for me. If Keith doesn't get the right guitar tone, it sounds weak and Mick often struggles to stay on key. As far as modern times go, the version from Cuba is better than I was expecting!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: February 6, 2017 16:34

HonkeyTonkFlash
I am a huge fan of live Stones music. I often prefer live versions of songs to their studio counterparts even if they're not as perfect technically. I dig the vibe and excitement of the live performance. However, Satisfaction is one that often falls flat for me. If Keith doesn't get the right guitar tone, it sounds weak and Mick often struggles to stay on key. As far as modern times go, the version from Cuba is better than I was expecting!

Did you check out the 1966-version above?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 6, 2017 17:06

'71 Marquee/ Leeds versions... Funky, alive with energy, different, sans riff, love it. All (!) other versions do not excite me. '71 is the jackpot, imho.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 6, 2017 17:28

HonkeyTonkFlash

The vocals just by themselves are always much weaker then the record version. Just because of the vocals it would almost be impossible for a live version to stack up to the official version.

The record version has the perfect vocals to get the them of the song across. Live its always slurring sloppy and it doesn't get the theme across.

This is about the only time i saw them get it across live.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-06 17:34 by stanlove.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 6, 2017 18:10

Hampton 1981

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2017 06:47

stanlove
GasLightStreet
stanlove
GasLightStreet
stanlove
I guess we will agree to disagree. If you like sloppy songs that sound basically no different then any other song they play live then I get it. Love the sloppy unlistenable vocals also.

I will not agree to disagree. What's astounding is your inability to hear how what I mentioned is or are better than the studio versions - just like Honky Tonk Women from LOVE YOU LIVE blows away the studio version.

There's nothing sloppy about them and they do not sound "no different than any other song they play live". Why you can't understand that is your loss.

You are wrong again.

Nope.

You're not able to hear the quality of those performances. You're using Classic Rock radio ears.

Nope you are just wrong and your argument makes no sense since I love live versions of many songs better the the record version. Tight masterpiece cannot be replaced by screaming vocals and sloppy aimless music that sounds like any other Stones song.

Whatever you say there, kook. My argument? It's not argument - it's fact. I can't help it you are incapable of hearing it.

You're a lot like HMS on the train to durrrrsville: can't hear the superiority of those versions.

Date: February 7, 2017 08:51

Superbowl

Date: February 7, 2017 17:20

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash

The vocals just by themselves are always much weaker then the record version. Just because of the vocals it would almost be impossible for a live version to stack up to the official version.

The record version has the perfect vocals to get the them of the song across. Live its always slurring sloppy and it doesn't get the theme across.

This is about the only time i saw them get it across live.

[www.youtube.com]

The vocals on the album version are delivered more slowly,almost spoken,and with less authority than the 6-13-1998 live version for one example. Just listen to the "I can't get no" lines on the Web Choices CD. Jagger put more emphasis into them 6-13-'98 than he did on the studio record. They are not slurred in any way.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 7, 2017 18:16

Dandy, which version is this from 66?
Good one!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 9, 2017 15:15

Hellooo,

Nobody at home ?!

Date: February 9, 2017 15:26

CousinC
Good one!!

It's from the ABKCO-stuff that was posted on YouTube. I don't know which show it is from, though.

Brilliant version indeed! thumbs up

Date: February 9, 2017 15:28

GasLightStreet
stanlove
GasLightStreet
stanlove
GasLightStreet
stanlove

You are wrong again.

Nope.

Whatever you say there, kook. My argument? It's not argument - it's fact. I can't help it you are incapable of hearing it.

You're a lot like HMS on the train to durrrrsville: can't hear the superiority of those versions.

In fairness - they never really got the groove of the SFM-studio version in concert. Especially the intro always strikes me as somewhat messy, while the studio version is monumental.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 9, 2017 16:00

DandelionPowderman
CousinC
Good one!!

It's from the ABKCO-stuff that was posted on YouTube. I don't know which show it is from, though.

It's definitely (personal a-b comparison) from Honolulu 1966.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 9, 2017 16:02

DandelionPowderman
In fairness - they never really got the groove of the SFM-studio version in concert. Especially the intro always strikes me as somewhat messy, while the studio version is monumental.

That's because it evolved.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 9, 2017 16:02

The best Satisfaction? The next time they play it.

Date: February 9, 2017 16:08

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
CousinC
Good one!!

It's definitely (personal a-b comparison) from Honolulu 1966.

Thanks. That's what I suspected, as MLH was taken from that show as well.

Date: February 9, 2017 16:09

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

You mean "devolved"? winking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 9, 2017 16:11

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Yes and there are three great live versions: 1972, 1973 and 1976/1976 (not great really but cool and different).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home