Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
US Tour 1969
Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: January 28, 2017 11:03

i don't know if some of you have seen this little clip before, but i think it's
interesting ...video: [vimeo.com]

Re: US Tour 1969
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2017 14:30

....lurverly ta watch

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 28, 2017 14:35

Great find thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2017 14:37

tight band....great front man ... they might catch on ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 28, 2017 17:23

Will someone just get on with it and release as complete a NYC69 and Altamont as is possible. These teases kill me, lol

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 28, 2017 18:41

DrPete
Will someone just get on with it and release as complete a NYC69 and Altamont as is possible. These teases kill me, lol

thumbs up

...but still, thanks for the link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-28 18:42 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 28, 2017 19:01

With the famous intro "Welcome to the breakfast show" one should think this is from Nov.28th, first show; but to me Carol sounds like the version from Nov. 27th!??

Date: January 28, 2017 19:17

Rank Stranger
With the famous intro "Welcome to the breakfast show" one should think this is from Nov.28th, first show; but to me Carol sounds like the version from Nov. 27th!??
No this short movie ( audio and video )is from the Nov 28th first show.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 28, 2017 21:28

thank you

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 28, 2017 22:58

Interesting. Looking at the crowd you get the sense they were really listening to the band, not jumping up and down and screaming, sort of listening first.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: January 29, 2017 04:05

keith56
i don't know if some of you have seen this little clip before, but i think it's
interesting ...video: [vimeo.com]
thumbs up

Cool! I was just reading the part in Tony's book last night about the reason Mick made them wait so long at Altamont (all supposedly btw) was he wanted the the sun to be down so he could be bathed in the red stage lights as he hit the stage. Of course Tony (or whomever wrote that part) kind of went on and on about the whysandwherfores of the red... but anyway...

...Cool to see yup bathed in red lighting at the start for sure. Thanks for posting.

Now if the original videographer could please explain why they felt compelled to record the audience and not the band, I would like to know. PLUS MOAR FOOTAGE PLEASE!!!

And now just waiting for the usual suspects to show up in the thread and complain about these dang people recording concerts! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: bitman ()
Date: January 29, 2017 06:56

Thanks for posting. Would love to see more. Bet there is some just wonderful b-roll from Gimme Shelter that has yet to be unearthed.

Date: January 29, 2017 12:27

Fantastic clip. I wonder if the edits mean that there is a complete version somewhere.
At the ending of JJF at 2:18, there's the 2 guys in audience. One in white shirt, and guy in red turtleneck next to him. To me he comes across like the typical 'doubter'. White Shirt eventually claps. I think he is the fan, who brought his doubting friend along; who remains yet to be convinced.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 29, 2017 17:03

There is another thread here where someone posted that the Maysles Brothers have some 30 hours of film from 69 in their archives so there must still be some amazing footage in the can which will hopefully see the light of day eventually.

My Stones holy grail is a boxset of the 3 complete MSG concerts along with more unreleased video. Hopefully before I am too old to appreciate it.

Also according to a Salon magazine article there is a complete video of Altamont and a newspaper article stating an audio man from that day still has a complete pro recording of the audio of the concert. I don't think we will ever see that concert officially released as long as Mick and Keef are alive for obvious reasons.

[www.salon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-30 00:34 by oldschool.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: January 29, 2017 22:48

Does anyone know if the Maysles Brothers shot any of the actual recording of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses or You Gotta Move at Muscle Shoals? I know the footage from Gimme Shelter that shows them listening to the playback. But is there any footage of them laying down the tracks? Do any photos exist?

I know their visas didn't allow them to record in the US in 1969 so that probably explains why it either wasn't shot or never saw the light of day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-29 22:50 by GS1978.

Date: January 30, 2017 00:38

GS1978
Does anyone know if the Maysles Brothers shot any of the actual recording of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses or You Gotta Move at Muscle Shoals? I know the footage from Gimme Shelter that shows them listening to the playback. But is there any footage of them laying down the tracks? Do any photos exist?

I know their visas didn't allow them to record in the US in 1969 so that probably explains why it either wasn't shot or never saw the light of day.

According to Ron Schneider (bmuseed) Muscle Shoals was video taped so there may be footage. His answer was in this thread

[iorr.org]

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 30, 2017 01:17

I wonder if this footage was also shot by the Maysles cameramen?? The JJF footage looks the same as the GImmer Shelter footage but from further away so I wonder if this was just filmed by another of the Maysles team??

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 30, 2017 07:25

great clip thnx for this

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 30, 2017 08:22

With only one of the Maysles brothers left alive and the way people consume specialized media these days you wonder why somebody doesn't digitize all of the film they shot in 1969. Then it could be distilled down to perhaps four or five hours for the die-hard fans. Plus they could do some vertical pan-and-scan cropping and also release the four or five hours in 16:9 wide screen.

Remember that this is film, beautiful film, and it is already in high definition. When you have quality original film stock, and then you digitally filter out the dust and noise in the individual frames, and do a really good intelligent job of reprocessing it, you end up with beautiful vibrant noise-free motion picture film that looks virgin.

I think it would be a great project and we have been waiting almost (gulp!) 50 YEARS for this material. Just typing that sentence out scares me! lol

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 30, 2017 09:27

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outhot smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 30, 2017 11:44

MileHigh
With only one of the Maysles brothers left alive
Albert (November 26, 1926 – March 5, 2015) and his brother David (January 10, 1931 – January 3, 1987) Maysles were an American documentary filmmaking team known for their work in the direct cinema style. Their best-known films include Salesman (1969), Gimme Shelter (1970) and Grey Gardens (1976).
Stonesdoug and some other lucky fans from Shidoobee, saw a complete MSG show at a dinner party with Albert 5 or 6 years ago. They were lining up another viewing party, but sadly, Albert passed before this could happen. Where and with whom this footage resides currently, I don't know, but I believe both MSG shows and Altamont are there and complete.

Date: January 30, 2017 12:14

Man, this is like the Zapruder film of the JFK assassination - rumours of different films circulating etc.

Well, Uts really interesting to hear that a full MSG film exists - that would be so amazing to see. Did the Maysles have a website or a company address - perhaps we could get in contact and persuade them to release this??

Date: January 30, 2017 12:17

Stonesdoug - if you are reading this, we'd love to hear a description of the concert film that you saw? Was it much different to Gimme Shelter? Did it show more of the other band members?

I would love to see film of them walking on stage and starting JJF, and also see some more shots from a wider angle so we can get a feeling for what it was like in the audience. As much as I love Gimme Shelter, it does focus too much on close ups of Mick - it would be great to see more of the whole band.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 30, 2017 18:11

Thanks for posting

Date: February 1, 2017 17:00

runaway
Thanks for posting
thumbs up

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 1, 2017 17:10

My mind is blown that there are people on this thread who are talking about the entire MSQ concert being the Holy Grail instead of the entire Altamonte concert and much more film was Altamonte period.

Date: February 1, 2017 17:39

People are standing still, clapping politely.. On THAT show? smiling smiley

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 1, 2017 17:46

ref James Karnbach's The Complete Recording Guide to the Rolling Stones - mentions that there are two versions of Gimme Shelter. Anyone ever heard/seen version 2?

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: February 1, 2017 19:18

Interesting... you never know what tomorrow will bring.. Never saw that footage..

Date: February 2, 2017 01:57

stanlove
My mind is blown that there are people on this thread who are talking about the entire MSQ concert being the Holy Grail instead of the entire Altamonte concert and much more film was Altamonte period.

Why does this blow your mind? personally I think the MSG shows were fantastic and we know all three have multitrack audio and it sounds like the Maysles Brothers have more video in the archive.

Besides I grew up going to concerts at MSG and it was one of my favorite venues back in the day.

Don't get me wrong I would also love a complete Altamont audio and video of the concert as I think the performance was also very good but don't think we will ever see it due to the bad juju associated with that event.

Actually I would settle for one complete 69 prorecorded concert with no overdubs but MSG is my holy grail.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home