Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Dave Edmunds
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 25, 2017 00:20

Any love here for Dave Edmunds ? Been on an Edmunds bender recently and am still after all these years blown away by his guitar playing. His solo stuff and work with Rockpile was really enjoyable. Also, his guitar playing on Carlene Carters classic 'Musical Shapes" album and his production work on the Stray Cats 1st album are also stand outs.
He is a tasteful guitar player who repeatedly chose excellent material to cover ( Elvis Costello , Micky Jupp , Nick Lowe, John Fogerty , etc ) and also wrote song terrific songs himself.
What ever happened to him ???

Re: O/T Dave Edmunds
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 25, 2017 00:39

Closest thing I can come to response, I did attend a rare same concert here in Bham, AL by Nick Lowe this past October. Class Act, Great Stories in between songs, all acoustic...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 25, 2017 00:51

With Steve Cropper and Chuck Leavell

Dave Edmunds & Steve Cropper - Standing At The Crossroards

[www.youtube.com]

18+ video....................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 25, 2017 00:54

Dave still does one-off gigs here and there. YouTube has clips of an appearance he did in Sweden a couple of years ago. He has said in interviews that he prefers to stay home in Wales, where he still records in his home studio (he released an instrumental record in 2015). I enjoyed his work in Rockpile and solo, although not as fond of the things he did with Jeff Lynne.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 25, 2017 01:05

Did you ever catch the special he was on backing Carl Perkins ? He was part of a band that was comprised of Perkins, George Harrison, Clapton, Ringo, Rosanne Cash and others --- I think it was done in the late 80's--- great stuff

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2017 01:34

His version of I Hear You Knocking is classic.

I also remember Rockpile backing Robert Plant on Little Sister for the concert for Kampuchea in 1979.
I think they used to play the entire concert video on MTV in the early days?

Robert Plant/Rockpile - Little Sister

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2017 01:42

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 25, 2017 07:47

I opened for him in Cleveland many years ago. Super player and a nice guy.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: January 25, 2017 08:27

Saw the combined bill of Mink DeVille, Rockpile, and Elvis Costello at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1978. Those were great concert days.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 25, 2017 14:14

Dave did some great stuff. As a fan of Rockabilly-music I particularly cherish his work with the Stray Cats (he produced not only their debut, but 2 more albums in the late 80s/early 90s). He even joined them occasionally on stage:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 25, 2017 15:11

bob r
Did you ever catch the special he was on backing Carl Perkins ? He was part of a band that was comprised of Perkins, George Harrison, Clapton, Ringo, Rosanne Cash and others --- I think it was done in the late 80's--- great stuff

I still have that on a VHS somewhere.

It was pretty good. Cracking vesion of Matchbox as I recall.

I'm a big Dvae Edmunds fan too.

"Repeat When necessary" is probably one of my favouraite albums of all time.

...and Albert Lee's guest solo on "Sweet Little Lisa" from that album is some of mny favaourite guitar playing of all time.

[Albert later did the track on one of his own albums... but didn't do it anything like the same justice ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-25 15:17 by Spud.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 25, 2017 15:27

there was also a TV documentary that aired in the 80s,

...with footage of Albert Lee recording that solo and Dave Edmunds in the control room marvelling at the licks Alnbert was pulling off that Tele fretboard grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 25, 2017 18:38

Spud
there was also a TV documentary that aired in the 80s,

...with footage of Albert Lee recording that solo and Dave Edmunds in the control room marvelling at the licks Alnbert was pulling off that Tele fretboard grinning smiley

You got me curious... Is this the excerpt you were thinking of?
[www.youtube.com]

Pretty cool.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 25, 2017 18:41

Spud
bob r

I still have that on a VHS somewhere.

+ 1
Just watched my VHS of it a week ago. Really fine stuff.
EC, though he played pretty good, looked kind of wasted there.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 25, 2017 19:54

I have been a long time D.E. fan. Bought Rockpile records and went to their concerts. Edmunds solo stuff is also excellent and when he toured on his own he always had a great band with class guys like Geraint Watkins whom I'm a big fan of as well.

Heard he had some heart problems a few years ago, but hadn't heard much since. Edmunds is a class act imo. I hope he is doing ok health wise.

Time to put on "Repeat When Necessary", a rockin' album if there is one.

Thanks for posting bob r about D.E.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 25, 2017 22:29

video: [www.youtube.com]

Keith jamming with Dave Edmunds and Rockpile on Let it Rock, at the Bottom Line, New York 1978. Famous gig where Keith was a little intoxicated...

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 25, 2017 22:44

Nick Lowe and Keith story

Here's a funny story by Nick Lowe about Keith's appearance with Rockpile at the Bottom Line...

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: January 26, 2017 02:31

Saw DE in Milwaukee about 1980 (at The Palms, for anyone who cares about that sort of thing.) He ran onstage with that big old Gibson in one hand, a bottle of beer in the other, strapped in, stomped into "Crawlin' from the Wreckage" and never let up. One of my all-time favorite shows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-26 02:37 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 12, 2017 13:19

Listen to the story about the time Keith Richards got up and jammed with Rockpile at the Bottom Line [youtu.be]

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 13, 2017 22:06

This furious cover of a classic piece of music is utterly fantastic:

video: [youtu.be]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home