Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Spanish Tony Sanchez Does Have Family
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 2, 2017 00:29

And having mob connections does help make some sense of other things...
For instance the guy who was burglarizing pharmacies to steal cocaine and heroin and then selling it to them, first through Tony, and then directly to Kieth. That guy got busted and supposedly had a book with all the names and dates of his buyers and Kieths name was all over the place and the guy told the cops everything they needed to know to put Kieth away for a long time... and then nothing happened. Nothing at all.

As a side note - I was somewhat flabbergasted to read that in 1968 England people could register as drug addicts and sign up to be given/buy cocaine and heroin from pharmacies that stocked the drugs all of the time.... and so they say... a bunch of people signed up with the intent to buy and then sell off the drugs as opposed to using them.

Funny enough the part where the state allowed people to sign to buy cocaine and heroin is maybe the most unbelievable part of the whole book for me.grinning smiley

Date: February 2, 2017 00:34

wonderboy
Hank, yes I can envision that.

I dont know if we will ever know for sure, so I just try to make sense of it. I first read the book last week and it has been clanking around like a song I can not get out of my head.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 2, 2017 00:57

HankM
For instance the guy who was burglarizing pharmacies to steal cocaine and heroin and then selling it to them, first through Tony, and then directly to Kieth. That guy got busted and supposedly had a book with all the names and dates of his buyers and Kieths name was all over the place and the guy told the cops everything they needed to know to put Kieth away for a long time... and then nothing happened. Nothing at all.

As a side note - I was somewhat flabbergasted to read that in 1968 England people could register as drug addicts and sign up to be given/buy cocaine and heroin from pharmacies that stocked the drugs all of the time.... and so they say... a bunch of people signed up with the intent to buy and then sell off the drugs as opposed to using them.

Funny enough the part where the state allowed people to sign to buy cocaine and heroin is maybe the most unbelievable part of the whole book for me.grinning smiley

Perfectly true. I remember the great British jazz musician, Tubby Hayes was a 'registered user' in the late 60's.It might have been part of an agreed treatment programme, not sure.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 2, 2017 01:18

jlowe
HankM

Perfectly true. I remember the great British jazz musician, Tubby Hayes was a 'registered user' in the late 60's.It might have been part of an agreed treatment programme, not sure.

It was, though I can't remember the details. I think part of it was that they gradually tried to wean people onto methadone.

Date: February 2, 2017 03:22

Aquamarine
jlowe
HankM

It was, though I can't remember the details. I think part of it was that they gradually tried to wean people onto methadone.

I actually believe it was a real program, but I had never heard of it. I was kind of making fun of myself about what to believe or not believe. grinning smiley and of all the wild stuff in the book, the government supplying cocaine and heroin to addicts seems like the wildest.

I imagine they stopped that at some point, but I have not looked it up, yet. It is on my interesting things toe learn to do list.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 2, 2017 04:57

My wife read it and bookmarked all the pages with different drug references in it. The bookmarks were nearly a novel in themselves! She loved the line "Do you indulge?" Thought it was funny so she crocheted that line with the stones tongue for a pillow cover. Funny shit.

Date: February 2, 2017 05:27

J.J.Flash
My wife read it and bookmarked all the pages with different drug references in it. The bookmarks were nearly a novel in themselves! She loved the line "Do you indulge?" Thought it was funny so she crocheted that line with the stones tongue for a pillow cover. Funny shit.
Fun!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-02 08:14 by HankM.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 2, 2017 07:46

HankM

Funny enough the part where the state allowed people to sign to buy cocaine and heroin is maybe the most unbelievable part of the whole book for me.

Whilst I don't know about people signing up just to get and sell hard drugs, the basic story is true.

At that time (no idea at all about current arrangements) addicts could get a prescription from their doctor for some drugs. I assume the idea was to make sure that what they got was clean and what they expected. I assume that there was an intent to manage and help rather than criminalise.

Quite why that should be thought to be amusing, and or unbelievable, and mocked is beyond me.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 2, 2017 10:46

CaptainCorella
HankM

Funny enough the part where the state allowed people to sign to buy cocaine and heroin is maybe the most unbelievable part of the whole book for me.

Whilst I don't know about people signing up just to get and sell hard drugs, the basic story is true.

At that time (no idea at all about current arrangements) addicts could get a prescription from their doctor for some drugs. I assume the idea was to make sure that what they got was clean and what they expected. I assume that there was an intent to manage and help rather than criminalise.

Quite why that should be thought to be amusing, and or unbelievable, and mocked is beyond me.

Yes, now I think about it, Marianne Faithful may have recounted a similar experience for her.
Her first junkie period being around the early 70s....living almost on the streets of Soho, London.
A far cry from life with Mick in Cheyne Walk.

Date: February 2, 2017 11:46

CaptainCorella
HankM

Because it's illegal in most countries (including in the UK today)?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 2, 2017 12:38

Any pics, or know who they were, of Keiths pet junkies? Was it Redlands property that they lived at?

Posted by: JimmyPhelge ()
Date: February 2, 2017 14:22

There is a great 1968 documentary about the countercounter life in sixties London and it also talks about legal prescriptions of heroin.
Is titled Dope and directed by Sheldon and Diane Rochlin.

You can find it here: [www.dopethemovie.net]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 2, 2017 15:32

I believe Keith wrote that heroin addicts would also receive cocaine, on the theory that it would counteract their drug (or maybe it was vice versa.)
Anyway, the heroin addict didn't want the cocaine, so would give or sell it to a friend.
Keith described his source as a nice couple who made tea and occasionally checked to see if the other was still breathing.
I don't know if the program was effective, but it's the abuses that we mock.

Date: February 2, 2017 19:03

HankM
Cheers lovely ladies smileys with beer
http://alainelkanninterviews.com/anita-pallenberg/

Aah..lovely photo. An enduring friendship, it seems.
By the way, Marianne had a small spot in last weekend's UK BBC documentary on the artist Francis Bacon.
She recalled how he (sort of) befriended her during her first heroin phase in the early 1970's. Took her to his local cafe for breakfast.

Date: February 2, 2017 21:35

jlowe
HankM
Cheers lovely ladies smileys with beer
http://alainelkanninterviews.com/anita-pallenberg/

Aah..lovely photo. An enduring friendship, it seems.
By the way, Marianne had a small spot in last weekend's UK BBC documentary on the artist Francis Bacon.
She recalled how he (sort of) befriended her during her first heroin phase in the early 1970's. Took her to his local cafe for breakfast.
I thought it was a lovely photo too smiling smiley It makes me smile back at them

I respect them both for being who they are... and being here and... more smoking smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 13, 2017 03:42

Where did Spanish Tony's grandson go? Hope the descendants of the Kray Bros haven't nabbed him - or that a Very Important Collector didn't buy the whole lot for a steal, and had the grandson sign an NDA as if the sale never happened winking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 13, 2017 03:42

I don't know but it all sounded a bit fantastic to me.

Date: February 13, 2017 04:21

Bliss
mattleeuk
I am Matt Lee :-) I live in London Bridge, so very close! Just email me on mattleeuk@gmail.com and I would be happy to advise what is of interest / value.

Any updates?

swiss
Where did Spanish Tony's grandson go? Hope the descendants of the Kray Bros haven't nabbed him - or that a Very Important Collector didn't buy the whole lot for a steal, and had the grandson sign an NDA as if the sale never happened winking smiley

I was going to ask and I do wonder... but...

Maybe Matt will fill us in. The grandson has posted to several message boards over the last few years saying the same thing... I hope it all works out for him and...

Lets check back and see what happens next.

Posted by: dominguez14 ()
Date: March 3, 2017 05:13

[drive.google.com][/img]

Young Tony Sanchez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 05:14 by dominguez14.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 3, 2017 20:55

Thanks, dominquez14!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 3, 2017 21:05

Link doesn't work

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 3, 2017 21:07

dominguez14
[drive.google.com][/img]

Young Tony Sanchez

Posted by: dominguez14 ()
Date: March 3, 2017 21:38

I think the link should work the guy posting before managed to view it?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 3, 2017 23:11

HankM

IIrc you registered and received a certain amount of smack per week PLUS the same amoun of pure C. So junkies would use the H and sell the high-grade C.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 4, 2017 00:56

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 7, 2017 00:18

DandelionPowderman
CaptainCorella
HankM

Because it's illegal in most countries (including in the UK today)?

Yes. And isn't the War on Drugs going fabulously?

Date: March 7, 2017 11:01

Drugs are a health issue and should not be regarded as a criminal offence as such.Users are then given health related support, similar to that given to alcoholics.No point in handing out custodial sentences, the prisons are at breaking point as it is. Sounds fine in theory, but if the addicts don't co-operate with the treatment?
The pushing/selling of drugs should be treated as a crime, however.

In the UK, Durham's Police Chiefs are proposing giving out Class A drugs out to addicts as an trial. I believe they support the decriminalisation of certain drugs.
This is according to the Daily Mail!

Reading the Daily Mail should be regarded as a criminal offence....and the offenders submitted for psychiatric evaluation.

Date: March 7, 2017 20:16

HankM
Bliss
mattleeuk
I am Matt Lee :-) I live in London Bridge, so very close! Just email me on mattleeuk@gmail.com and I would be happy to advise what is of interest / value.

Any updates?

swiss

I was going to ask and I do wonder... but...

Maybe Matt will fill us in. The grandson has posted to several message boards over the last few years saying the same thing... I hope it all works out for him and...

Lets check back and see what happens next.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 8, 2017 14:22

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but Tony did an interview just prior to the publication of his book where he said that Keith threatened him at gunpoint not to publish the book. Maybe Tony toned it down some after that altercation. Who knows what Keith was really like during those years. Keith has mentioned being shot at in various interviews but remains sketchy about the details as to why he was shot at. Scoring drugs seems unlikely as it was Tonys job to do that for Keith. Perhaps it's just Keith trying to portray the hard man image.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 14:32 by stone4ever.

Date: March 8, 2017 14:41

stone4ever
Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but Tony did an interview just prior to the publication of his book where he said that Keith threatened him at gunpoint not to publish the book. Maybe Tony toned it down some after that altercation. Who knows what Keith was really like during those years. Keith has mentioned being shot at in various interviews but remains sketchy about the details as to why he was shot at. Scoring drugs seems unlikely as it was Tonys job to do that for Keith. Perhaps it's just Keith trying to portray the hard man image.

At his worst, Keith also had to score himself in NYC.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home