Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which songs should be removed from ABB ?
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 5, 2005 14:59

None. Well, from a musical viewpoint, it could do without that disco song and without that not so sweet Neocon. But cutting down albums is never what I would do.
In these CD days, we have the ability to skip tracks or to program the player, so it's best if a band puts out all they got and let the listener decide for himself what he likes, instead of keeping some new songs for Japanese bonus tracks or later reissues. You might as well give these additional album editions some recent live recordings.

What's far more interesting to me, is what became of the rest of the Paris Licks sessions. Let's hope that Mick reworks them soon in a Tattoo You style.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2005 15:10

Sadly no bonus on Japanese Bigger Bang and yes Bill good point what has happened to all those other tracks from Licks sessions?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 5, 2005 15:15

Allthough I like Back Of My Hand, it isn't that great musically (one chord only). The only surprise on this one is Mick's contribution on slide guitar which he does fantastic. But live this song seems to work better.

Personally I think A Bigger Bang is a great album. I like all 16 tracks. Of course one more than the other but I don't want anything being left off.

My favorites at the moment:

Look What The Cat Dragged In (classic Stones a la Undercover album, the band is really firing!)
Biggest Mistake (classic Stones/country, great melodies, great vocals)
Laugh, I Nearly Died (another classic, mysterious, fantastic vocals)
Driving Too Fast
This Place Is Empty (another great slide job from Mick!)
Rain Fall Down (allthough I prefer more guitarsolos/licks towards the end, and without the extra bassdrum... they can easily do without them!)
She Saw Me Comming (another simple but effective rocker, I like it, great rhythm Keith, great fills from Ronnie)

Oh well... I like them all in the end! I never expected this kind of quality from the Stones.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 5, 2005 15:17

I agree with G de Cock. There's a new Stones album after more than 8 long years, and are you guys doing? Discussing the worst tracks! That's disgusting. You're no fans but critics. Please stay away from this board and try to write for neo rock magazines. There you can download your opinions on everybody's crap!

It's unbelievable but maybe you can start a new topic: which songs should be removed from the Stones discography? Or even what musicians should be removed from the world ...

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 5, 2005 15:27

> It's unbelievable but maybe you can start a new
> topic: which songs should be removed from the
> Stones discography?

Well, it's not so unblievable if you consider it's not meant to trash songs or critisize the Stones but to make the album more solid, tighter - meaning better.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 5, 2005 17:47

What do you mean by "make the album more solid, tighter"? That's bullshit. We're not in the position to remove songs from other artists works. If everybody would have the right to tell the boys what to do and what not, there wouldn't have been a album since 1964. In those days the Stones switched from covering R&B songs to writing their own songs and, in fact, disgusted fans in those days. They're the greatest rock and roll band in the world and, you now what, I'm sure they know what they do! Listen to ABB several times and then again discuss the album. You'll find out that it grows.

And: don't you think you make an exhibition of yourself by being critics whose criticism nobody really is interested in?

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: September 6, 2005 01:42

Every song must stay in this album. Because the taste varies from person to person. The first one prefers melodic songs like Streets Of Love and the next one likes it fast and funky like Look What The Cat Dragged In.

So, I have read postings in many pages. And I saw, that every song got a fan. And that's great, another reason why A Bigger Bang is really great. I don't love every song of it, but
- now I want to hear as much new Stones as I can
- and later I can choose my favorites.

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 6, 2005 02:35

>Meise wrote:
>We're not in the position to remove songs from other artists works. If everybody >would have the right to tell the boys what to do and what not, there wouldn't have >been a album since 1964.

Yes, we are in the position to remove songs from artists' works, at least on the copy or copies we bought and own. None of us has the power to tell the Stones what to do or change the tracklisting on the official, commercially-released A Bigger Bang. I mean, it is listed the way they released it on amazon.com and all the other retailers, and nothing we do to our own copy is going to change that.

But we have the right to make our own versions, and really, where is the harm? Before CD technology, I would have just lifted up the needle on my record player and skipped what I didn't like. I don't see how this is much different. I'm sure the Stones would rather someone listened to 10-12 of their new songs rather than none at all. I stopped playing Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges after a few dozen listens because a few songs on each got on my nerves. Once I made my own edited versions of them a few years ago I have been listening to them quite frequently. Being a Stones fan doesn't mean you love every single song they've ever done.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 6, 2005 07:50

I say:

REMOVE ALL OF THEM!!

And replace them with covers of The Monkees and The Carpenters !!

Call it "the new Stones sound"

You'd probably still have a buncha critics calling it "brilliant" and "4 and a half stars"

Posted by: artur34 ()
Date: September 6, 2005 08:34

- streets of love
-back of my hand
-this place is empty
-sweet neo con

-infamy[filler]
-let me down slow[filler]
-she saw me coming[filler]
The rest is solid very good album

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 6, 2005 12:13

NONE!

not even Streets of Love!

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: September 6, 2005 12:22

None. It's a classic. As a motivation, "to have some songs to play live" is much better
than "to prove versality in a variety of styles" - as audible on Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 6, 2005 14:31

After listening to this album for 3 days i will enter this irrelvent conversation...

this is my edited album

ROUGH JUSTICE
LET ME DOWN SLOW
IT WON'T TAKE LONG
BACK OF MY HAND
SHE SAW ME COMING
BIGGEST MISTAKE
OH NO, NOT YOU AGAIN
DANGEROUS BEAUTY
LAUGH, I NEARLY DIED
LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN
DRIVING TOO FAST
THIS PLACE IS EMPTY

Pure rockin album. Best album since ...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home