Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: When did everything turn to colour from black and white for you
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 18, 2017 00:57

Harlem Shuffler
EddieByword
Spud
No we weren't . I was taken to my auntie Renie's house to watch it as a treat.

[,,,before licking t' road clean n wi't tongue] winking smiley

Amazing.........I was thinking the same thing.........."and tell the kids that today and they just won't believe you.................>grinning smiley<

Luxury!

grinning smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 18, 2017 01:21

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2017 01:33

In the States we actually had a color demarcation line, the fall of 1965. Only one network broadcast, some programming, in color previously, and that was NBC. In the fall of '65 all three networks went color. The Stones did Satisfaction on the first color Ed Sullivan for CBS.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 18, 2017 02:16

Musically...............Hawkwind's Silver machine

Date: January 18, 2017 02:26

It wasn't a Stones moment, because I was never not a Stones-fan. I started listening and following them from age 5.
But a sonic boom would be James Chance & Contortions. Me and my friends were all big followers of that band. Them and James Blood Ulmer.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 18, 2017 02:44

My older brother teaching my eleven year old self the lyrics to "Midnight Rambler"as he played the piano...

Hooked.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 18, 2017 02:52

^^^^ AHHHH and who said guys cant multi task ...^^^^ ..... hhhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 18, 2017 07:42

It's always been in colour! .....What's Black and White, some sort of fancy cocktail?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-18 07:43 by SKILLS.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 18, 2017 08:14

24FPS
In the States we actually had a color demarcation line, the fall of 1965. Only one network broadcast, some programming, in color previously, and that was NBC. In the fall of '65 all three networks went color. The Stones did Satisfaction on the first color Ed Sullivan for CBS.

I don't think that's quite right.

NBC promoted itself as "the full color network" for a number of years prior, but the other two ran some shows in color and some in black and white past '65. CBS ran Dick Van Dyke in B&W in 1966, as did ABC for Honey West (just some examples)

I think that 1967 was the jumping off year when the three networks all went full color in the US.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 18, 2017 08:21

Nate
Keith talks about a moment in his life when suddenly everything turned to colour and he viewed the world in a different way.

For me it was when I heard money for nothing by dire straits
What's yours?

Nate

When I heard JJF on Radio Caroline, I was 13 years old. That did it ... life ain't never bin the same since !! >grinning smiley<

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 18, 2017 11:00

In seriousness I think the change was quite litteral for folks of certain genertaions.

If you were a kid in the UK at the dawn of the swinging sixties, a world that had formerly been largely grey , brown & beige was suddenly full of brightly coloured everything !

The US probably saw this earlier than us... through the fifties, with all those pastel shades of red, blue & green turning up in decor, on cars [...and Fender guitars for that matter winking smiley]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 18, 2017 11:17

Spud
In seriousness I think the change was quite litteral for folks of certain genertaions.

If you were a kid in the UK at the dawn of the swinging sixties, a world that had formerly been largely grey , brown & beige was suddenly full of brightly coloured everything !

The US probably saw this earlier than us... through the fifties, with all those pastel shades of red, blue & green turning up in decor, on cars [...and Fender guitars for that matter winking smiley]

I think you're 100 percent correct, in what you say. Certainly for people of my age (I was born in 1955) ... the explosion of colour that hit you when you were say 10 to 13/14 years old (coinciding with the mid to late 60s) was very pronounced and very significant. I for one literally will NEVER forget that first ever 'hearing' of JJF. It was just SO different to anything I'd ever heard, that WOW ...... talk about an 'awakening' !! I remember where I was and what I was doing with greater clarity today than many of the things I did last f***ing week !!

Mind you ... some cynical b***ards would say that might have less to do with JJF and more to do with early onset senility !! sad smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 18, 2017 11:57

EddieByword

Yep - that was a good one. The 2nd gig I ever went to was Hawkwind at Torquay Town Hall in August 1972. I was on holiday with my parents and thought it would be fun to see this wild band. My mum queued up for me while I cam back from the beach and got horrified looks from the hippies in the queue.

Most of the audience sat down so I took my place - on my own - near the front of the stage. By the time they came on the air around me was green with mother nature's finest and sent me into a kaleidoscopic though slightly sickly state as they let loose their sonic attack on the audience. I'd never been high before and I felt like I was off on a voyage to the moon.

And when their dancer Stacia took her clothes off and gyrated just in front it was a moment I'll never forget.

BTW - went to that Leeds v Sunderland FA Cup Final and was in the Sunderland end. What a shock result as the Roker Boys won 1-0.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 18, 2017 16:29

This show certainly helped:

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 18, 2017 16:30

As did this one:

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: January 18, 2017 16:50

When I got serious about photography which is just a hobby..

I looked her in the eye.....

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: January 18, 2017 17:53

Musically speaking...

"Satisfaction", 9 years old (my elder cousin told me they were the Stones).
"Never mind the bollocks", Sex Pistols, 16 years old (the same cousin again)

You can guess who's my favourite cousin....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 18, 2017 18:00

For UK residents of a certain age this last, concluding episode of the epic Kafkaesque psycho drama series The Prisoner was pretty revolutionary stuff.

Here's the scene that left nearly everyone gobsmacked.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 18, 2017 18:06

Stones on SNL ... I bought Some Girls the next day and the rest is history!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 18, 2017 18:07

Rocky Dijon
The problem with IORR is there are just too many Yorkshiremen.

To quote the late Michael Winner:
"Calm down my dear".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 18, 2017 18:12

Kurt
This show certainly helped:

Especially Susan Dey to my 11 year old world! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2017 18:33

Kurt
As did this one:

thumbs upgrinning smiley

The Banana Splits Opening and Closing Theme 1968 - 1970

There's the story about Bob Marley being inspired by the "Tra la la" part for his Buffalo Soldier tune...hard to deny when listening - the Banana Splits influenced many!

Buffalo Soldier Copies the Banana Splits!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 18, 2017 18:40

Barry White wrote for them:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 18, 2017 18:47

loog droog
Barry White wrote for them:

[www.youtube.com]

Haha that's cool triva. thumbs up

I was just listening to this psychedelic relic from the 'Splits' winking smiley...wonder if Barry wrote this?

Banana Splits - I Love Being a Boy

edit: Just found the answer: Written and sung by Joey Levine, lead singer of The Ohio Express.
More songwriting credits, including Al Kooper, Gene Pitney, Barry White, and Jimmy Radcliffe among others: Banana Splits discography

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-18 18:56 by Hairball.

Date: January 18, 2017 19:29

And then there was this: Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.
In the States every Sunday night at 7:30 between 1961 and 1969 (it ran in black and white between 1954 - 1961).

Walt Disney's Wonderful World Of Color Opening

And this one a later version, beginning in 1966 after Walt Disney died (who used to give episode intro's):

Walt DIsney's "The Wonderful World of Color" opening

Date: January 18, 2017 19:36

Silver Dagger
EddieByword

Yep - that was a good one. The 2nd gig I ever went to was Hawkwind at Torquay Town Hall in August 1972. I was on holiday with my parents and thought it would be fun to see this wild band. My mum queued up for me while I cam back from the beach and got horrified looks from the hippies in the queue.

Most of the audience sat down so I took my place - on my own - near the front of the stage. By the time they came on the air around me was green with mother nature's finest and sent me into a kaleidoscopic though slightly sickly state as they let loose their sonic attack on the audience. I'd never been high before and I felt like I was off on a voyage to the moon.

And when their dancer Stacia took her clothes off and gyrated just in front it was a moment I'll never forget.

BTW - went to that Leeds v Sunderland FA Cup Final and was in the Sunderland end. What a shock result as the Roker Boys won 1-0.

ha, great story,............funnily enough, I was stared at in horror by hippies and bikers and head bangers at my first show (2nd really but the first one - the great "Xmas at the Patti" show [en.wikipedia.org] ..........didn't really count as I went with my older sister and sat on the side as a 12 year old) ......but my real first real show happened when I was at an army boarding school on the cliffs just outside Dover. We had to wear our school uniforms (blazers etc) everywhere, even into town.........This also applied to concerts.....about 12 of us decided to go see The Man band at the Leas Cliff hall in Folkestone in 1974. So, the picture was, band on stage, 12 kids in school uniform up against the stage and 2000 head bangers, some of who couldn't get over how we were being allowed to ruin the greasy, beery, acid packed, smoke laden ambiance...........grinning smiley ..........no fights but so many comments about being back in time for bed etc........

Another story (funny) from the south west.........I've got a friend here in Swansea who used to live in Plymouth (small one horse town in England then - for anyone not familiar) at the end of the 60s/early 70s.............anyway, she told me that one night they all piled down to this small club to see Pink Floyd......................
About an hour in the police raided the place............She told me that after the raid one of their friends had said "Oh, I saw them all (the police) getting in a bus about an hour ago".......
she said "Jesus, (as that club was the only place likely to be of interest to the cops on that scale)....Why didn't you tell us?............

Him "I thought they were going on a trip".............>grinning smiley<

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-19 00:20 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 18, 2017 19:43

jlowe
Rocky Dijon

"Calm down my dear".

I was referencing (and paraphrasing) Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch which was being quoted throughout.

Date: January 18, 2017 20:00

Rocky Dijon
jlowe
Rocky Dijon

"Calm down my dear".

I was referencing (and paraphrasing) Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch which was being quoted throughout.

thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2017 21:04

loog droog
24FPS

I don't think that's quite right.

NBC promoted itself as "the full color network" for a number of years prior, but the other two ran some shows in color and some in black and white past '65. CBS ran Dick Van Dyke in B&W in 1966, as did ABC for Honey West (just some examples)

I think that 1967 was the jumping off year when the three networks all went full color in the US.

Don't mean to be picky, but I'm a bit of a nerd about this stuff. NBC was not a full color network. The Man From Uncle was in black and white in 1965. CBS had no regular color programming, and hadn't even run color specials for a few years. (They had to use NBC equipment is why, since NBC/RCA had come up with the color compatible system, allowing color broadcasts to be seen in black and white on black and white sets.) If ABC had any previous color programming it was the animated Flintstones and the Jetsons. I didn't say all three networks went FULL color, but much of their major programming did, like The Lucy Show and Andy Griffith on CBS. ABC was the laggard, not making the popular Bewitched in color until 1966.

Date: January 19, 2017 01:30

And then there was The Beverly Hillbillies - Black and White (1962-1965) Color (1965-1971).

And Gilligans Island.
According to wiki:
"It aired for three seasons on the CBS network from September 26, 1964, to April 17, 1967. Gilligan's Island ran for a total of 98 episodes.
The first season, consisting of 36 episodes, was filmed in black and white. These episodes were later colorized for syndication.
The show's second and third seasons (62 episodes) and the three television movie sequels were filmed in color".

Hmmm...colorized? I recall seeing some of the first season episodes as black and white reruns when I was a kid...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home