Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which Oldham book and why
Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: January 16, 2017 05:11

can i get a short rundown and/or comments please?

I usually read the Amazon comments etc. but thought it would be way better to ask here:

If i only have money for 1 or 2 of his bios/recollections... which should i buy? Just checked & was surprised he has a few there!

Thanks!

Re: Which Oldham book and why
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 16, 2017 14:45

Stoned and 2 Stoned - you can't read one without reading the other. Fantastic insights into how the Stones rolled in the 60s until Loog Oldham was fired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 16:37 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 16, 2017 16:04

Stoned is fantastic. There's less about the Stones in it than in 2Stoned,
but it's a fascinating look at the London scene that nurtured the fledgling Stones.
2Stoned is much more jumbled (as ALO's life was at the time) but has wonderful fragments.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 17, 2017 15:51

In my opinion, Oldham's two volumes are amongst the very best in Stones related literature. They are very good at giving a social history of England in the late 50s and early 60s and of course the show business scene in the early sixties. The use of other contributors/observers greatly enhances the books. (The best Mohammed Ali biography, by Thomas Hauser) uses the same technique. It gives some balance (at times) and offers a different perspective to the author's views.
However he is not averse to taking a swipe at many people (with not much of an objective view provided). Two 'victims' come to mind: first Co Manager Eric Easton and also Stones music publisher David Platz. Both deceased of course, so unable to challenge. Presumably money and business deals led to the fall outs.
A few health warnings. The Stones are only a part of the story which basically covers the 1944 to 1964 period. So don't expect to hear any new detail on his exit in 1967 or the various financial and partnership deals he made both during his managerial tenure and post 1967.
So no mention of Immediate Records either.

I hope he can put his time and talents to a third volume as there is much more to tell.
By the way, if you are turned off by his jaded hipster prose (as evidenced on the early record sleeve notes), you might find it deflects from your enjoyment. But put up with it; well worth while.

The other essential read is Stone Free which isn't really a Volume 3, but his musings on some of the Managers and other characters of the time eg Don Arden, Phil Spector and Allen Klein. Of the latter, he is very insightful and balanced.
Of course AK did bankroll him over the years, so he ought to be grateful. This book shows Oldham has a more humane and balanced side, away from the hard nosed hustler stereotype.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 17, 2017 17:03

berlinjive
can i get a short rundown and/or comments please?

I usually read the Amazon comments etc. but thought it would be way better to ask here:

If i only have money for 1 or 2 of his bios/recollections... which should i buy? Just checked & was surprised he has a few there!

Thanks!

You could even ask ALO himself which he'd recommend to start with. He is quite communicative on Twitter and has responded to a couple of my questions in the past.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2017 20:51

Stoned and 2Stoned are both essential imo, but if getting two is too much, you could get his Rolling Stoned book which is supposedly a re-write of both of those books in to one volume.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-17 20:56 by His Majesty.

Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: January 18, 2017 03:30

thank you mucho! I can't wait now to get I and II...

wonder why i waited this long to read his books. I love his interviews on YouTube.

Recently read "1966" and it nudged me towards posting this question.
That and finally untangling the compilations time-sequences of all the Stones 'till mid-70s output. I love winter.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 30, 2017 05:15

I read this on Facebook and I thought it would be worth to share here instead of starting a new thread.

Tune in to Tom Petty Radio Ch. 31 on SiriusXM Radio beginning Monday morning for a special 2-hour edition of "Tom Talks To Cool People" with guest Andrew Loog Oldham (founder/producer/manager of The Rolling Stones in the 1960’s)!

Here's the schedule for the week:

Monday – January 30: 8am ET / 5am PT & 4pm ET / 1pm PT
Tuesday – January 31: 10am ET / 7am PT & 8pm ET / 5pm PT
Wednesday – February 1: 10pm ET / 7pm PT
Thursday – February 2: 12noon T / 9am PT
Friday – February 3: 3pm ET / 12noon PT
Saturday – February 4: 1am ET / 10pm PT

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 30, 2017 21:29

Does ALO still do his DJ radio work? He used to have a programme in Vancouver but apparantly fell out with Steven Van Zandt

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 31, 2017 04:20

jlowe
Does ALO still do his DJ radio work? He used to have a programme in Vancouver but apparantly fell out with Steven Van Zandt

He isn't on SiriusRadio anymore; he was replaced by Micheal de Barres few years ago. I listened to the Tom Petty' interview in the afternoon and Andrew sounded great. Still very sharp, witty and funny. He mentionned the movie "Sweet smell of success" as an inspiration to get into the business of showbizness. lots of recollections of the stones at their beginning, like the show in Richmond in 63, the session of "I wanna be your man" with Paul & John in attendance. Andrew said that when Brian Jones played the slide part for the very first time that blew him away!! Tom Petty is very californian cool whereas Andrew is so quick minded and he has a fast verbal delivery; a funny contrast that helped keep Andrew on tracks. Andrew still has the passion for that rock and roll music.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2017 04:24

Sweet Smell of Success ..... Tuff movie ...

Where can one listen to the Petty Oldham interview??? ... Always love hearin'
ALO's view of things ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 31, 2017 05:05

Rockman
Sweet Smell of Success ..... Tuff movie ...

Where can one listen to the Petty Oldham interview??? ... Always love hearin'
ALO's view of things ....

It's on Sirius/xm.com on channel 31.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home