Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Q re. '66 or '67 sessions.
Date: January 11, 2017 11:57

I have been reading that new Stones book; the real thick one by Margotin/Guesdon called "All the Songs". Yes, Im sure they made mistakes, but this is good book. Lots of research, a labor of love.
They are pretty upfront about when they are unsure on certain credits. IMO there are a good bit of assigned credits (who played this or that) that are basically listed as fact. And there is no way one can be that sure. There is a lot of educated guessing. Which they pull of very well IMO.
Around the 'A'math' and esp. the 'Buttons' Keith acquired a red Fender bass. On many songs they have him doubling Bill's bass. Eg the Fuzz bass that was used often in those 2 years, but way more than that.
Do you guys think that they would have done the 2 Bass thing often like that? (If needed I can list all the songs where I saw it named) I mean - Keith on Bass, sure. Often? Sure. But maybe more as in Keith INSTEAD of Bill.

The other question is something that has been bugging me for 25 years easy. In "Goin Home', during the long jam, does Jagger say "Ill let her touch my PANTS?" confused smiley

Re: A Q re. '66 or '67 sessions.
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 11, 2017 15:58

I think at times when Keith is given a credit for bass it might be because he was at the session and Bill was not ? So maybe strike when the inspiration is hot and lay the track down .

Date: January 11, 2017 16:04

Bill is credited on bass on all Aftermath-tracks isn't he? I thought he did all the fuzz-bass as well.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 11, 2017 17:15

Keith is shown playing Bills's Wyman bass during Aftermath sessions, but that could just be in studio downtime. I suspect he atleast might have added one or two of the fuzz bass lines.

By BtB's it's obvious from the footage of them (probably) working on Yesterdays Papers and photos from the sessions over all that Keith was starting to step in to Bill's turf.

As his song writing developed and his confidence grew it's qute natural that Keith would also have and develop arrangement ideas for bass etc. He's often heard giving instructions, both vague and specific, in Satanic Sessions bootleg recordings.

I doubt he played the bass on the actual recordings as often as this book seems to be suggesting though. I don't doubt that he had lots of ideas for how bass parts should be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 17:16 by His Majesty.

Date: January 11, 2017 17:18

His Majesty
H's shown playing Bills's Wyman bass during Aftermath sessions, but that could just be in studio downtime. I suspect he might have added one or two of the fuzz bass lines.

By BtB's it's obvious from the footage of them (probably) working on Yesterdays Papers and the general photos from the sessions that Keith was starting to step in to Bill's turf.

As his song writing developed and his confidence grew it's qute natural that Keith would also develop stronger arrangement ideas for bass etc. He's often heard giving instructions, both vague and specific, in Satanic Sessions bootleg recordings.

I doubt he played the bass on the actual recordings as often as this book seems to be suggesting though. I don't doubt that he had lots of ideas for how bass parts should be.

+ the BTB-songs where Keith claimed he played bass (LSTNT, She Smiled Sweetly and perhaps others?)

Date: January 11, 2017 17:21

I can't listen at moment, but from memory, YP has two basses at some points, no?

Date: January 11, 2017 17:25

His Majesty
I can't listen at moment, but from memory, YP has two basses at some points, no?

I think you're right, if memory serves.

Date: January 11, 2017 17:26

A 'normal' bass sound and one with fuzz and tremolo?

Date: January 11, 2017 17:52

It's the two basses I am wondering about. Yes, sure it probably happened, esp. in these years . But acc. to the book I am reading they have it happening a lot.
It's the only thing that has jumped out at me in this massive book though.

Date: January 11, 2017 19:55

Palace Revolution 2000
It's the two basses I am wondering about. Yes, sure it probably happened, esp. in these years . But acc. to the book I am reading they have it happening a lot.
It's the only thing that has jumped out at me in this massive book though.

A lot seems unlikely in that period.

Five or so songs have bass and fuzz bass. I can't think of any stones tracks from 1966 or 1967 that have two basses on a recording without one of them using fuzz effect.

It might only be relevant to Aftermath/Between The Buttons. I don't think any of the 1967 stuff has two basses.

Date: January 11, 2017 21:07

ADTL comes to mind..

Date: January 11, 2017 21:14

If you are meaning instances through their entire career, then the tally might be notable number wise, but it's probably not really a lot percentage wise out of everything for either 66/67 or their entire career.

If the book is using educated guesses (we all do tongue sticking out smiley ) maybe they are just playing it safe and overstating it to cover their arses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 21:17 by His Majesty.

Date: January 11, 2017 21:18

Can you give a couple of instances where they say there are two basses that surprised you?

Date: January 12, 2017 00:27

Under my Thumb
Connection
Complicated

these are the ones I see when I go through the credit charts. But in the actual essays on each song, there is more speculation about adding a bass here and there for intro e.g. of a song. I mean - I think it sounds like a really interesting notion. I had just not thought of Keith doing that a good bit in those years. I see it more in the 70's when he would just go in and replace Bill's bass.

I can see Flight 505, Its not Easy with maybe some overdubs.

Date: January 12, 2017 01:26

UMT - They might be mentioning that because Keith said he wrote it on bass.

edit: Ah, it has fuzz bass too.

If I remember right, Connection & Complicated feature bass from organ pedals and bass guitar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-12 01:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 12, 2017 14:39

New Musical Express reviewing Aftermath, April 8, 1966:

"UNDER MY THUMB, another very commercial track which has Brian Jones on marimbas and Keith Richard dubbing over an extra bass with fuzz box. An hypnotic tempo sustains throughout."

No other mentions of Keith on bass on the rest of the tracks, nor in their review of Between The Buttons, January 14, 1967.

Date: January 12, 2017 20:08

I have since answered my other question myself. For years I never knew what Jagger says at 8:18. But I also never really took time to listen hard for it. "he says "When she touch my hand". I always thought it was "I'll let her touch my pants". Haha..I was like 11 or 12 when I first heard it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home