Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Billy Joel songs ranked
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2017 19:01

I keep hearing advertisements on local radio stations for the Dodger Stadium show, including ticket giveaways, etc.
Sounds somewhat exciting if you're a fan of his, but even if you are a fan, seeing this show in a gigantic stadium?
It's barely tolerable to see the Stones in a stadium (especially if you have horrible seats), so not sure what the fans will experience with this.
He better bring a lot of fireworks...can't imagine it selling out, but you never know...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 15, 2017 20:08

Winning Ugly VXII
"Matter of Trust" and maybe "The Longest Time" are the only ones that I still like to hear once in a while.

Actually The Longest Time is about the only thing I can listen to from him ... that & Just the Way You Are (Uptown Girl is not bad either but nothing great about it). Matter of Trust is pretty awful.

Date: January 16, 2017 04:56

LeonidP
Winning Ugly VXII
"Matter of Trust" and maybe "The Longest Time" are the only ones that I still like to hear once in a while.

Actually The Longest Time is about the only thing I can listen to from him ... that & Just the Way You Are (Uptown Girl is not bad either but nothing great about it). Matter of Trust is pretty awful.

According to you perhaps. It's got a good rhythm to it according to me.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 16, 2017 08:23

Winning Ugly VXII
LeonidP
Winning Ugly VXII

A Matter Of Trust is one of my favorite Billy songs on what I consider his worst album. That and Baby Grand are the only songs on that record I like. And I'm a big Billy Joel fan, so I'm not just saying Matter Of Trust is my favorite cause its one of the few I know. Its just one of his most rocking which I prefer. Not too complex, pretty simple, but it gets the job done.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 16, 2017 21:47

We didn't start the fire has musical and lyrical relevance. One should use that one in school for politics!

Date: January 17, 2017 16:49

a matter of trust is an awesome tune

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 17, 2017 17:15

keefriffhard4life

ummm ... no. It's almost as bad as River of Dreams and Pressure, and equally as bad as Allentown. All horrible, just a matter of what degree of horribleness.

Date: January 17, 2017 18:08

LeonidP
keefriffhard4life

ummm ... no. It's almost as bad as River of Dreams and Pressure, and equally as bad as Allentown. All horrible, just a matter of what degree of horribleness.

Hee hee, so why are you in the thread. Just leave.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 17, 2017 20:05

I heard 'Just the Way' You are on a classic rock radio station yesterday.
Well written I suppose, but as sappy as can be. Sounds like a soundtrack to a soap opera...yawn.

Date: January 18, 2017 01:58

RollingFreak
Winning Ugly VXII
LeonidP
Winning Ugly VXII

A Matter Of Trust is one of my favorite Billy songs on what I consider his worst album. That and Baby Grand are the only songs on that record I like. And I'm a big Billy Joel fan, so I'm not just saying Matter Of Trust is my favorite cause its one of the few I know. Its just one of his most rocking which I prefer. Not too complex, pretty simple, but it gets the job done.

look at the stats i posted on the previous page and it appear joel himself considers the bridge one of his weaker albums too

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 19, 2017 02:18

whitem8
Um I don't live in NYC and like Joel. He has sold way more albums to account for just NYC! Very talented artist. I do wish he would try his hand at writing again. He puts on a great show.

Maybe it's just cuz your in a New York state of mind?

Date: January 20, 2017 06:39

so what is everyones favorite billy joel tunes?

mine
1 scenes from an Italian restaurant
2 only the good die young
3 all about soul
4 say goodbye to Hollywood
5 a matter of trust
6 river of dreams
7 uptown girl
8 for the longest time
9 this is the time
10 no mans land

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 20, 2017 07:31

keefriffhard4life

1. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
2. Vienna
3. Summer, Highland Falls
4. I've Loved These Days
5. Rosalinda's Eyes
6. Piano Man
7. The Ballad of Billy The Kid
8. Miami 2017
9. You May Be Right
10.The Mexican Connection

Date: January 20, 2017 07:32

Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life

1. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
2. Vienna
3. Summer, Highland Falls
4. I've Loved These Days
5. Rosalinda's Eyes
6. Piano Man
7. The Ballad of Billy The Kid
8. Miami 2017
9. You May Be Right
10.The Mexican Connection

nice list. I take it you are mainly a pre 1982 fan?

Date: January 20, 2017 07:39

1. You Can Make Me Free
2. A Matter Of Trust
3. You May Be Right
4. All For Leyna
5. Captain Jack
6. That's Not Her Style
7. The Stranger
8. Weekend Song
9. Stiletto
10. Until The Night

I am definitely a Glass Houses and earlier fan, but I do like a lot of his later stuff. An Innocent Man, No Man's Land, Famous Last Words and Downeastern Alexa were all on the shortlist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-20 07:42 by RollingFreak.

Date: January 20, 2017 07:40

keefriffhard4life

Pretty much...followed him casually in the '70s, before becoming a big fan with Glass Houses in '80. Interestingly, The Nylon Curtain is probably my favorite album of his, yet I have no songs from it in my top 10!

Date: January 20, 2017 07:44

Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life

Pretty much...followed him casually in the '70s, before becoming a big fan with Glass Houses in '80. Interestingly, The Nylon Curtain is probably my favorite album of his, yet I have no songs from it in my top 10!
Not surprising. I'm probably the same way, and Billy is as well, that its maybe his "best" album but there's no song that would strike me as top 10. I go back and listen to that as an album more than put on any individual song for anyone. Unless you have a deep cut favorite there, the only songs probably making your top 10 are Allentown or Goodnight Saigon, which don't crack my favorite hits but work wonderfully in the context of that album.

Date: January 20, 2017 07:52

RollingFreak
Not surprising. I'm probably the same way, and Billy is as well, that its maybe his "best" album but there's no song that would strike me as top 10. I go back and listen to that as an album more than put on any individual song for anyone. Unless you have a deep cut favorite there, the only songs probably making your top 10 are Allentown or Goodnight Saigon, which don't crack my favorite hits but work wonderfully in the context of that album.

I agree...that is definitely one album I listen to as a whole. My favorites from it are "Surprises," "She's Right On Time," "Laura," "Scandinavian Skies" and "Where's The Orchestra?"

Date: January 20, 2017 08:07

RollingFreak
Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life

goodnight saigon is a great tune but wouldn't make my top 20 list probably.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 18, 2017 23:41

keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
Billy Joel -- a New York thing as far as I can tell. I never met anybody outside Long Island who liked him.
That's a really ignorant statement to make. 150 million records sold worldwide.

I dunno. There are what, ten million New Yorkers? Each buys fifteen albums by the fruity crooner over the period of his 50 year career. bringing his total albums sales to 150 million. Do the math. It could happen.

I repeat: I have never met anyone outside of New Yorkers who could stand him. Maybe I run in rarefied good-taste circles, but there you have it.

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]
Whoa, don't cut yourself on all that edginess, pal.

You're a real charmer...do us all a favor and refrain from posting here from now on.

Billy Joel? Edginess? Are talking about the same Billy Joel, the Uptown Girl guy?

[www.youtube.com]
No, I'm talking about you thinking you're being edgy by calling him a "fruity crooner" and feebly trying to insult people who happen to like his music.

I don't barge into threads about artists I'm not keen on just to make a foolish spectacle out of myself. If others followed suit, it would make posting here more pleasant for all involved.

Are you angry about my use of the word "fruity" to describe Billy Joel the Long Island crooner? Look up the word in a dictionary. I'm not suggesting the silver-tone voice of Long Island is gay. When pertaining to a voice, the word means "mellow, deep, and rich."

I stand by what I wrote earlier: Never met anybody outside of New York who didn't change the channel immediately when a Billy Joel song came on the radio.

Now here's a suggestion for you: Take your love for the fruity Long Islander to a forum where they appreciate that kind of stuff. IORR is about the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 19, 2017 00:50

Way more than a 'New York' guy. Good songwriter, could write in a variety of styles and was straight-ahead, no frills guy. Sold millions of records, still gets many songs rotated on classic rock stations. Bigger than the Stones in the '80s; granted, that was not a good decade for the Stones.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 19, 2017 05:41

I would rate the songs from crappy to crappiest. Is there anyone outside on NYC that like this schmaltz?

Date: November 19, 2017 06:41

Pietro
Now here's a suggestion for you: Take your love for the fruity Long Islander to a forum where they appreciate that kind of stuff. IORR is about the Rolling Stones.

Now here's a suggestion for you: BV allows off-topic threads...and you don't have to read them.

Date: November 19, 2017 07:12

Jah Paul
Pietro

Now here's a suggestion for you: BV allows off-topic threads...and you don't have to read them.

also hasn't joel covered a few rolling stones tunes?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 20, 2017 05:53

I LOVE his first few albums, Cold Spring Harbor, Piano Man, Streetlife Serenade, Turnstiles and The Stranger, excellent songwriting AND vocals, but when he started 'screaming' and "rocking" ala Big Shot or We Didn't Start a Fire, he lost me.

When he SANG he was/is outstanding, as was his band from the beginning TO The Stranger album.

I saw him at the Perth Concert Hall way back when, seats only about 1700 people, it was just after Piano Man came out. Fantastic show, and album.

I remember him starting the song Piano Man, smoking. He blew smoke into the air repeatedly and then said "With our big budget, THIS is the only smoke machine I could afford"...funny. Perhaps you had to be there...I was!

Rod

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 20, 2017 08:09

Cooltoplady
I would rate the songs from crappy to crappiest. Is there anyone outside NYC that likes this schmaltz?

I believe there are two or three people, maybe four. But no more than that.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 20, 2017 14:42

Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
Billy Joel -- a New York thing as far as I can tell. I never met anybody outside Long Island who liked him.
That's a really ignorant statement to make. 150 million records sold worldwide.

I dunno. There are what, ten million New Yorkers? Each buys fifteen albums by the fruity crooner over the period of his 50 year career. bringing his total albums sales to 150 million. Do the math. It could happen.

I repeat: I have never met anyone outside of New Yorkers who could stand him. Maybe I run in rarefied good-taste circles, but there you have it.

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]
Whoa, don't cut yourself on all that edginess, pal.

You're a real charmer...do us all a favor and refrain from posting here from now on.

Billy Joel? Edginess? Are talking about the same Billy Joel, the Uptown Girl guy?

[www.youtube.com]
No, I'm talking about you thinking you're being edgy by calling him a "fruity crooner" and feebly trying to insult people who happen to like his music.

I don't barge into threads about artists I'm not keen on just to make a foolish spectacle out of myself. If others followed suit, it would make posting here more pleasant for all involved.

Are you angry about my use of the word "fruity" to describe Billy Joel the Long Island crooner? Look up the word in a dictionary. I'm not suggesting the silver-tone voice of Long Island is gay. When pertaining to a voice, the word means "mellow, deep, and rich."

I stand by what I wrote earlier: Never met anybody outside of New York who didn't change the channel immediately when a Billy Joel song came on the radio.

This is, like, ...brilliant.
You can leave a fierce discussion for 10 months flat, and then pick it up right where you left it, as if you never went away. I salute you, Pietro! >grinning smiley<

Think I really like BJ's "Piano Man", and I appreciate (as in: do not dislike) some of these pop tunes that dribbled through to Europe - that "Uptown Girl" thingie springs to mind; and "We didn't start the fire"...
I don't think I can name any more of his tunes, though. And I do kinda see him as the ultimate hotel lobby piano player... (without meaning to be disrespectful.)

I'm quite sure he's a top guy, in person;
and you know what, cooltoplady: if NYC likes it, there's bound to be something worthwile in it. At least in my book! smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home