Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Billy Joel songs ranked
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2017 21:59

I dig the whole The Stranger album. Lots of other stuff too, particularly Glass Houses.

I am from rural Georgia USA, not NYC. confused smiley

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 11, 2017 23:01

Joel’s appeal is clearly universal as he has sold a massive amount of albums. He is the #6 selling artist in America despite the fact he hasn’t released and album in nearly a quarter century.

That said, I agree with people who talk about Joel as the sound of New York. I’d actually expand that and say Joel is the sound of the northeast of the United States.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 11, 2017 23:31

Hairball
keefriff99
whitem8
Um I don't live in NYC and like Joel. He has sold way more albums to account for just NYC! Very talented artist. I do wish he would try his hand at writing again. He puts on a great show.
At this point, there is zero chance he'll ever write a song again. It's been 24 years since River of Dreams...if he hasn't had the urge by now, it'll never happen.

Maybe he'll record and release a blues covers album?

Can't imagine a creative artist not working to bring something new to the world - even if it's just for himself, his family, and/or his friends.
I'm sure he writes all the time, but keeps it away from the public.

Maybe a duets album will inspire him...w/Elton, Celine Dion, and other musicians in his style.

He actually did write a great song in 06 or 07 about the Iraq war, he just didn't sing it. Had a younger guy do it, because he said "it sounded like something a guy in his 20s or 30s would sing than a guy in his 60s", which again I have to admire cause he has a point. Unfortunately the guy he had sing it went nowhere, but I really thought it was a great song, and proved to me he could still write a tune if inspired. But he probably can't bang out another You May Be Right, or relatably sing it, and the straight bottom line is he's right that most people just wouldn't even want to hear it even if it was a good song. He has said he writes, mostly instrumental pieces, and still wakes up with inspirational piano parts, but there just isn't an outlet for it and he's not wrong.

Here's a link to that song from a decade or so ago, Christmas In Fallujah, really good tune: [www.youtube.com]

And speak of the devil, guess who's playing MSG tonight?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2017 00:27

RollingFreak
the straight bottom line is he's right that most people just wouldn't even want to hear it even if it was a good song.

Straight botton line is he's right?
I'd say he is wrong with that assumption, but it probably depends on who you ask.
Most diehard fans of his would love to hear anything new from him - even if it sucks. Similar to Stones fans (or fans of any artist), who wouldn't want to hear something new?
Then there's people like me who don't really care one way or the other - my answer would be" "I don't really care on way or the other, but why not?".
Then there's the Billy Joel haters who thinks he sucks and is only a New York thing - they'd probably answer "Hell no, but if you must please keep it in New York"!!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 12, 2017 01:05

RollingFreak
Hairball
keefriff99
whitem8
Um I don't live in NYC and like Joel. He has sold way more albums to account for just NYC! Very talented artist. I do wish he would try his hand at writing again. He puts on a great show.
At this point, there is zero chance he'll ever write a song again. It's been 24 years since River of Dreams...if he hasn't had the urge by now, it'll never happen.

Maybe he'll record and release a blues covers album?

Can't imagine a creative artist not working to bring something new to the world - even if it's just for himself, his family, and/or his friends.
I'm sure he writes all the time, but keeps it away from the public.

Maybe a duets album will inspire him...w/Elton, Celine Dion, and other musicians in his style.

He actually did write a great song in 06 or 07 about the Iraq war, he just didn't sing it. Had a younger guy do it, because he said "it sounded like something a guy in his 20s or 30s would sing than a guy in his 60s", which again I have to admire cause he has a point. Unfortunately the guy he had sing it went nowhere, but I really thought it was a great song, and proved to me he could still write a tune if inspired. But he probably can't bang out another You May Be Right, or relatably sing it, and the straight bottom line is he's right that most people just wouldn't even want to hear it even if it was a good song. He has said he writes, mostly instrumental pieces, and still wakes up with inspirational piano parts, but there just isn't an outlet for it and he's not wrong.

Here's a link to that song from a decade or so ago, Christmas In Fallujah, really good tune: [www.youtube.com]

And speak of the devil, guess who's playing MSG tonight?
Ah right, I forgot about that.

And when I said he'll never write again, I meant that he wouldn't write anything that he'd record and release to the public.

I think it's safe to say after TWENTY FOUR YEARS (I cannot believe it's been that long since River of Dreams...I feel old), he's not going to change his mind, and that's admirable.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 12, 2017 02:42

keefriff99
Pietro
Billy Joel -- a New York thing as far as I can tell. I never met anybody outside Long Island who liked him.
That's a really ignorant statement to make. 150 million records sold worldwide.

I dunno. There are what, ten million New Yorkers? Each buys fifteen albums by the fruity crooner over the period of his 50 year career. bringing his total albums sales to 150 million. Do the math. It could happen.

I repeat: I have never met anyone outside of New Yorkers who could stand him. Maybe I run in rarefied good-taste circles, but there you have it.

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 12, 2017 02:43

Hairball
RollingFreak
the straight bottom line is he's right that most people just wouldn't even want to hear it even if it was a good song.

I'd say he is wrong with that assumption, but it probably depends on who you ask.
Most diehard fans of his would love to hear anything new from him - even if it sucks. Similar to Stones fans (or fans of any artist), who wouldn't want to hear something new?
Then there's people like me who don't really care one way or the other - my answer would be" "I don't really care on way or the other, but why not?".
Then there's the Billy Joel haters who thinks he sucks and is only a New York thing - they'd probably answer "Hell no, but if you must please keep it in New York"!!!

Its the same with all artists. Yes, we'd love new Stones stuff. The majority general public do not care. They don't want to hear it live, they probably don't even want to buy it in stores, and they'd rather have their hits show. I think you have the right attitude (I'm not surprised, people that follow bands online usually do), but it really is the bottom line that most people just don't care. The new Stones blues album may have sold decently, but I'm sure most don't want to hear it live, even those that bought it. We do, but the sad reality is most don't. Whether Billy was right on the money long before anyone else is or he got lazy, or a little of both, like I said I just can't blame him. He's been selling out for 3 years specifically on the thing he's said for 20 years is what everyone wants. He's right. People don't even want his not new obscure songs in his shows, let alone anything new, even if its good like the Christmas song.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2017 04:17

RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak

Its the same with all artists. Yes, we'd love new Stones stuff. The majority general public do not care. They don't want to hear it live, they probably don't even want to buy it in stores, and they'd rather have their hits show. I think you have the right attitude (I'm not surprised, people that follow bands online usually do), but it really is the bottom line that most people just don't care. The new Stones blues album may have sold decently, but I'm sure most don't want to hear it live, even those that bought it. We do, but the sad reality is most don't. Whether Billy was right on the money long before anyone else is or he got lazy, or a little of both, like I said I just can't blame him. He's been selling out for 3 years specifically on the thing he's said for 20 years is what everyone wants. He's right. People don't even want his not new obscure songs in his shows, let alone anything new, even if its good like the Christmas song.

Might agree but then again we might have our wires crossed.
I was referring strictly to new recordings from Billy Joel, while you seem to be referring to new songs of his being played live.
He's an oldies act (like the Stones) that plays mostly the hits and warhorses, and I would probably agree that a majority in attendance don't want to hear anything new, but that shouldn't stop him from creating new studio recordings for those who care. As for the Stones and B&L - you are somewhat right. For me as a Stones fan, hearing the new tunes was a highlight of the recent shows I saw, but a majority in attendance seemed restless when they were played (at both Desert Trips shows and the abbreviated 18 song Vegas show). To hear and see something 'new' from the band (even though they are covers) was exciting, and sounded much better than the studio recordings imo. With that said, even if a 'new' tune hadn't been played at that show, the setlist at Desert Trip wkd.2 was something to behold. Whenever you have Get Off my Cloud, Sweet Virginia, Live With Me, Paint it Black, and Midnight Rambler at a Stones show, it's bound to be a great one. Throw in a 'new' blues cover, and it's one for the ages. For the most part, the entire crowd were into it, and it's what I now try to consider the last time I saw the Stones (trying to erase the weak mini Vegas show from my mind with Mick being sick).

*Incidentally, aside from the 'new' Just Your Fool, the newest tune played at that Desert Trip 2 show was Start Me Up from 1981!!!
Keith didn't even play Slipping Away! It was all oldies but goodies - just wish they would have thrown in a few more blues covers from their new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-12 04:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 12, 2017 04:17

I like Billy, particularly his early stuff. His piano had such a full sound, very rich in texture. He had a few great songs, I was around 12 when Glass Houses came out. My cousins and siblings played it non stop all summer. The 80's washed over Billy and it was all down hill from there . . .

Have to say, I saw the show he did in the USSR on TV recently. Wow, bad clothes, but good rock'n'roll. Those Russians wanted to rock so bad, great show.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 12, 2017 04:23

I have to be in the right mood to listen to any of the Bill Joel albums (the earlier ones). I have my own favorites apart from the ones on this list.

Of course, I have strong memories of when 'Piano Man' came out many if not most of my long island friends loved it (and him). His music fit that time period, I guess.

Date: January 12, 2017 04:31

Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
Billy Joel -- a New York thing as far as I can tell. I never met anybody outside Long Island who liked him.

I dunno. There are what, ten million New Yorkers? Each buys fifteen albums by the fruity crooner over the period of his 50 year career. bringing his total albums sales to 150 million. Do the math. It could happen.

I repeat: I have never met anyone outside of New Yorkers who could stand him. Maybe I run in rarefied good-taste circles, but there you have it.

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]
Whoa, don't cut yourself on all that edginess, pal.

You're a real charmer...do us all a favor and refrain from posting here from now on.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 12, 2017 04:37

Back in the 70's, when I was a teenager waking up to music living in L.A., his The Stranger album just EXPLODED everywhere. It was cool to hear him on all the FM stations, everyone bought the album. I still dig the album, but I confess I got less interested in Joel as time went on.

1977:

[www.youtube.com]

2014:

[www.youtube.com]

By the way- In the 70's, if you could even semi-credibly sing Just The Way You Are to whatever girl you were with, you were absolutely guaranteed to get laid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 17:22 by Long John Stoner.

Date: January 12, 2017 06:57

whitem8

he wrote a classical album and done a handful of cover tunes since then and I believe 2 original tunes that were single only releases. he said after river of dreams that he felt he took his pop/rock music as far as it could go and he didn't want to record anymore albums like that

Date: January 12, 2017 08:03

keefriffhard4life
whitem8

he wrote a classical album and done a handful of cover tunes since then and I believe 2 original tunes that were single only releases. he said after river of dreams that he felt he took his pop/rock music as far as it could go and he didn't want to record anymore albums like that
It's actually impressive that he said he was done, and he has stayed done, going on 24 years now.

Most artists who make proclamations like that usually end up reneging after a few years. Joel has stayed true to his word.

And you are right: he's written two songs that were pubicly released since 1993: Christmas in Fallujah (covered by someone else first and then by him) and All My Life about his marriage (at the time) in 2007.

Date: January 12, 2017 08:41

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
whitem8

It's actually impressive that he said he was done, and he has stayed done, going on 24 years now.

Most artists who make proclamations like that usually end up reneging after a few years. Joel has stayed true to his word.

And you are right: he's written two songs that were pubicly released since 1993: Christmas in Fallujah (covered by someone else first and then by him) and All My Life about his marriage (at the time) in 2007.

also covered a few tunes as well.

again I think he went out on a high note and glad he stuck to his word

Date: January 12, 2017 09:38

keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]

You're a real charmer...do us all a favor and refrain from posting here from now on.

Billy Joel? Edginess? Are talking about the same Billy Joel, the Uptown Girl guy?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-12 09:40 by Pietro.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 12, 2017 19:56

Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]
That is a very broad generalization .the album charts tell a different story .

Date: January 13, 2017 07:32

Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]

Billy Joel? Edginess? Are talking about the same Billy Joel, the Uptown Girl guy?

[www.youtube.com]
No, I'm talking about you thinking you're being edgy by calling him a "fruity crooner" and feebly trying to insult people who happen to like his music.

I don't barge into threads about artists I'm not keen on just to make a foolish spectacle out of myself. If others followed suit, it would make posting here more pleasant for all involved.

Date: January 13, 2017 08:47

keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro
keefriff99
Pietro

You like this video:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
No, I'm talking about you thinking you're being edgy by calling him a "fruity crooner" and feebly trying to insult people who happen to like his music.

I don't barge into threads about artists I'm not keen on just to make a foolish spectacle out of myself. If others followed suit, it would make posting here more pleasant for all involved.

I wouldn't even worry about what they think of billy joel. he covers rolling stones songs so either joel has good taste or bad taste

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 23:54

dmay
Don't get his appeal to this day, but that's life. I know there are a number of Joel fans here. Here's his opinion of his best songs and someone else's. Whatcha y'all think?

[www.vulture.com]

[www.vulture.com]

Find him very, um, saccharine-like

Date: January 14, 2017 03:56

He's a fruity crooner!

Date: January 14, 2017 06:37

Pietro
He's a fruity crooner!

so why does he cover the rolling stones, beatles, ac/dc, the who?

I didn't know "we didn't start the fire" was such a smooth ballad

Date: January 14, 2017 08:58

what I like about billy joel is he doesn't seem to ignore any of his albums. I'd say Cold Harbo Spring is the album he likes the least and 2 songs from it are played live still.

looking at his recent setlists it looks like:
cold harbor spring-2
piano man- 4
street life serenade- 3
turnstiles-6
the stranger-7
52nd street-5
glass houses-6
nylon curtain-9
innocent man- 6
the bridge- 3
storm front- 5
river of dreams-6

plus tons of covers and some non album tunes.

that's just since the year 2013. so I less than 4 years joel played about 60 different songs from his own catalog plus I would guess another 30+ covers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 09:44 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: January 14, 2017 15:30

Billy must read IORR, the other night he did Ruby Tuesday at MSG:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 14, 2017 15:34

mrsoandso
Billy must read IORR, the other night he did Ruby Tuesday at MSG:

[www.youtube.com]

he has done probably 7 stones tunes

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 14, 2017 19:21

potus43
dmay
Don't get his appeal to this day, but that's life. I know there are a number of Joel fans here. Here's his opinion of his best songs and someone else's. Whatcha y'all think?

[www.vulture.com]

[www.vulture.com]

Find him very, um, saccharine-like

And yet he, um, holds the record for most appearances and consecutive sellouts at your beloved Madison Square Garden.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 14, 2017 19:26

Re Jah Paul's comment on BJ - "And yet he, um, holds the record for most appearances and consecutive sellouts at your beloved Madison Square Garden", keep in mind the statement by the late H. L. Mencken, an American newsman, that, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 14, 2017 20:05

dmay
Re Jah Paul's comment on BJ - "And yet he, um, holds the record for most appearances and consecutive sellouts at your beloved Madison Square Garden", keep in mind the statement by the late H. L. Mencken, an American newsman, that, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

Yeah, that explains it...if we like Billy Joel, we have no taste. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 14, 2017 20:20

Hey y'all...want to make it clear...I am not knocking anybody's taste re anything or anyone. We all have our likes and dislikes. Each to their own. So, please don't take anyone's comments regarding someone else's comments personally. It's not an attack on you - just commentary from someone else's perspective. Keep in mind: Others comments are like eating Spam...you dig it or you don't.

Date: January 15, 2017 18:53

"Matter of Trust" and maybe "The Longest Time" are the only ones that I still like to hear once in a while.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home