Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Keith on Sheryl Crow album "Threads", out August 30
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 31, 2019 16:51

Good album. I enjoyed it, but have been listening more to the Gregg Allman reissues, i.e Laid Back & Gregg Allman Tour

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 31, 2019 19:15

Hairball
Her vocals are a bit syrupy, but not a bad cover.

I agree, not enough "twang", when it's only her on vocals, I can visualize Olivia Newton John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-31 22:14 by snorton.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 31, 2019 21:14

bye bye johnny

"The Worst" with Keith Richards - [www.youtube.com]

Full album: [www.youtube.com]

Thank you, bye bye johnny! thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 1, 2019 03:03

Great harmonies between the two....>grinning smiley<

Re: Keith on upcoming Sheryl Crow "All Star" album
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 1, 2019 03:21

emotionalbarbecue
Why keith?
Why?

Because the Stones can’t seem to suss out who is a minor talent/celebrity and who is a real musician.
Cheryl Crow is a minor talent,I saw her open for the Eagles when her first record had just came out and she was ok.
Then she gained fame and starfckd her way to a celebrity career.doing the James Bond theme,duetting some pseudo country with Kid Rock,glomming onto to Henley and Richards.
The woman was a disaster on the four flicks dvd,she singlehandedly destroyed Honky Tonk,yelling the lyrics, she couldn’t dance and had no chemistry with Mick.he could’ve been dancing with a mop stick and it would’ve been better.
File her under - people Stones fans think they should like because the band does.
She sucks.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 1, 2019 03:54

Lol...thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 1, 2019 09:08

lem motlow
emotionalbarbecue
Why keith?
Why?

Because the Stones can’t seem to suss out who is a minor talent/celebrity and who is a real musician.
Cheryl Crow is a minor talent,I saw her open for the Eagles when her first record had just came out and she was ok.
Then she gained fame and starfckd her way to a celebrity career.doing the James Bond theme,duetting some pseudo country with Kid Rock,glomming onto to Henley and Richards.
The woman was a disaster on the four flicks dvd,she singlehandedly destroyed Honky Tonk,yelling the lyrics, she couldn’t dance and had no chemistry with Mick.he could’ve been dancing with a mop stick and it would’ve been better.
File her under - people Stones fans think they should like because the band does.
She sucks.

I think her vocals on Live With Me from Miami 1994, Voodoo uncut, suck, but she improved on Honky Tonk Women from Live Licks. I like her, but feel her first three albums are her best.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 1, 2019 10:27

It could be her last album, I've heard.

Date: September 1, 2019 19:11

I heard the worst on this album and it is nice cover of that Stones song.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 1, 2019 19:36

From an interview with Jane Stevenson of The Toronto Sun:

Who was the most fun?

I don’t even know how to answer that. I mean I had a blast with Keith because I had two days of him in a studio in New York City, Germano Studios, with him and Steve Jordan, just the three of us. And I mean that’s just pure joy on speed. The most fun. He’s so brilliant. He’s just amazing.

Full interview - [torontosun.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 1, 2019 19:59

That version with Willie & Sheryl live is so good!
Thx for posting.

Re: Keith on upcoming Sheryl Crow album "Be Myself"
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2019 05:17

Socrates1
I could never really hear Mick's backing vocal on VL's The Worst. I did like the youtube version with Keith and his country friends. That was a tremendously great version. Interesting the song is being reworked again with Sheryl Crow for an official album release. I'm buying.

:42 seconda in. This version may help you focus on listening. Mick is quite audible.

[www.youtube.com]

Any earlier working version with Keith singing harmony where Mick does.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 05:19 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2019 05:29

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
I didn't find it confusing,

Okay, then now I'm confused on why you asked "Why did the thread title get fixed to be wrong?"

GasLightStreet
although the very last thing is a bit of a head shaker:

... and Johnny Cash's estate has allowed her to cut a virtual duet with the Man in Black on "Redemption Day," a songs of hers he covered toward the end of his life. She hopes to get the album into stores near the end of the year.

... and more confused on why that's a head shaker.

Had I Googled it I would've known and now I know why you were confused about me being confused.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 2, 2019 10:31

Terrible cover. No soul or emotion.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 2, 2019 18:09

GasLightStreet
Socrates1
I could never really hear Mick's backing vocal on VL's The Worst. I did like the youtube version with Keith and his country friends. That was a tremendously great version. Interesting the song is being reworked again with Sheryl Crow for an official album release. I'm buying.

:42 seconda in. This version may help you focus on listening. Mick is quite audible.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I never understood what others claim not to hear...The Worst as sung by Keith with Mick on back up vox is sublime....love the harmony here...one of my favorites...so good.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: September 2, 2019 20:50

just can't stand her voice...awful...

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 3, 2019 01:12

GasLightStreet
Socrates1

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
No way that’s Mick. It’s Keef singing the harmony himself. You can hear it even more clearly in the harmony parts later in the song.
Keith also on the earlier version of course. Clearly he wasn’t completely happy with that, so he did another (or more) takes to get it perfect. My guess is Mick wasn’t even present when Keith recorded The Worst.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 3, 2019 08:22

JordyLicks96
KRiffhard
bye bye johnny

"The Worst" with Keith Richards - [www.youtube.com]

Full album: [www.youtube.com]

thumbs down...too sappy.

And how exactly was that "too sappy?" Because she changed the lyric from "guy" to "girl?" It's basically the same as the original...a very good cover. Gotta come up with something more than "too sappy" my guy. eye rolling smiley

Sappy because of how it sounds to me. Keith’s version had emotion hers is some kind of singing alright, she can do that, but it comes across as sappy.

Not sure changing girl back to guy could rescue this. Same as that change didn’t make it sappy. She does.

That’s just my take on it.

Keith singing that in Dublin last year brought a tear to my eye. Bernard was a great foil for him on it.

Date: September 3, 2019 08:37

There are early versions of The Worst with Mick singing with Keith,I have them on my Voodoo outtakes but Don Was somehow completely missed the mark and used a later version with Keiths voice doubled.
I can see his point, why would you want a Jagger/ Richards duet on a country song on a Stones album.
Remember when I had that “fire Don Was” thread awhile back?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 3, 2019 08:39

lem motlow
There are early versions of The Worst with Mick singing with Keith,I have them on my Voodoo outtakes but Don Was somehow completely missed the mark and used a later version with Keiths voice doubled.
I can see his point, why would you want a Jagger/ Richards duet on a country song on a Stones album.

I’ve seen a vinyl bootleg with some Voodoo outtakes on it, are they worth having?
Sounds like it!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 4, 2019 02:51

audun-eg
GasLightStreet
Socrates1

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
No way that’s Mick. It’s Keef singing the harmony himself. You can hear it even more clearly in the harmony parts later in the song.
Keith also on the earlier version of course. Clearly he wasn’t completely happy with that, so he did another (or more) takes to get it perfect. My guess is Mick wasn’t even present when Keith recorded The Worst.

Dude. That’s Mick on vocals backing him up. The harmony is clear. 2 voices.

Date: September 4, 2019 10:13

lem motlow

Er, Mick is singing with Keith on the album version...

From timeisonourside.com:

"
That's very country, isn't it? Keith sings so pretty on that. I do his backgrounds, and it sounds so Okie. When I listened back to it, I said, Is that really me singing? It's really strange".

- Mick Jagger, 1994

Date: September 4, 2019 19:37

Got to give her props for songwriting. Could have sworn Lonely Alone was a Willie Nelson song but no it's Crow. Tailored perfectly ......

Date: September 5, 2019 00:25

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow

"
That's very country, isn't it? Keith sings so pretty on that. I do his backgrounds, and it sounds so Okie. When I listened back to it, I said, Is that really me singing? It's really strange".

- Mick Jagger, 1994

Wow you’re right I listened really close and buried in about 10 overdubs I could hear Mick,Great job Don , I mean it was like another Country Honk.Well If Country Honk was being remade by a Stones cover band with a hack producer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2019 00:28

…… The Worst - 1 March 2003 ……… sacred stuff ……

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2019 10:30

lem motlow
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow

"

- Mick Jagger, 1994

Wow you’re right I listened really close and buried in about 10 overdubs I could hear Mick,Great job Don , I mean it was like another Country Honk.Well If Country Honk was being remade by a Stones cover band with a hack producer.

Aren't there only two voices on the bridges, Keith's and Mick's?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2019 11:22

Hmmm... I always liked the original, to me one of the best tracks in VOODOO LOUNGE. But this version leaves me totally cold. It is nicely written song for any kind of arrangement and interpretation, but somehow it doesn't sound like fitting to her mouth and voice. A one listen is enough for me. I cherish the idea of picking up this latter-day, not-so-well-known song, though.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2019 11:35

DandelionPowderman

I liked it, but she did change the melody drastically in places.

To me it sounded like she was reaching or trying to reconstruct the 'actual' melody of which Keith just gave us cues (by his idiosyncratic way to sing/interpret melodies). But something crucial was lost in the process.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 11:38 by Doxa.

Date: September 5, 2019 13:09

Nice riff on the Joe Walsh song....thumbs up

Date: September 5, 2019 17:18

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow

"

- Mick Jagger, 1994

Aren't there only two voices on the bridges, Keith's and Mick's?

Yes but it sounds like they layered it for some reason,I can’t be sure but it’s a horrible recording.someone said earlier they thought it was all Keith and I even had to look at the cd cover after you said it was also Mick to make sure.
I have about five different outtakes and they’re all better than Voodoo.
Just the brickwalling alone screws it up,all the subtleties of the song are taken away for instance the fiddle is grating because it’s too damn loud.
They need to get rid of everyone involved in Voodoo and Bigger Bang or we’ll never see another great record.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home