Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: 1967 - Most interesting year in rock history?
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 6, 2017 21:34

Beyond what was happening in Rock music, the Top 40 was a pretty interesting place in 1967:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 6, 2017 22:52

In 1972 the jet set sat in. Just think of The Stones. An excerpt of LPs could serve as an example that something was over. ELP issued Trilogy. Jethro Tull issued Thick As a Brick. Something completely different, or different enough to say that something had changed. Two years of late, it finally was "the seventies".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 7, 2017 00:42

GasLightStreet
His Majesty
You are very misinformed and appear to be suffering from some kind of delusion.

The Rolling Stones were amazing from the very start and, all things considered, remain so to this very day.

I'm delusional.

OK.

You sound like a fanboy. I'm just a fan - one that recognizes the good and bad of the Stones (and any artist I like).

Next thing you're going to tell me is that DIRTY WORK is just as powerful as (enter actual good album title here).

Don't forgot misinformed as well. grinning smiley

Dirty Work is @#$%& awful!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-07 00:46 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 7, 2017 00:51

His Majesty
Come On
Most intressting year? I'll say most intressting band and I won't surprise anyone with saying The Rolling Stones is...

1967 rules, ok!?

thumbs upgrinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 7, 2017 01:10

His Majesty
GasLightStreet
His Majesty
You are very misinformed and appear to be suffering from some kind of delusion.

The Rolling Stones were amazing from the very start and, all things considered, remain so to this very day.

I'm delusional.

OK.

You sound like a fanboy. I'm just a fan - one that recognizes the good and bad of the Stones (and any artist I like).

Next thing you're going to tell me is that DIRTY WORK is just as powerful as (enter actual good album title here).

Don't forgot misinformed as well. grinning smiley

Dirty Work is @#$%& awful!

If anything I'm over informed! No misinformation here! Regardless it's good to see that you are aware of how awful they can be!

Date: January 7, 2017 03:15

Some of what you have posted about what Brian played shows you are misinformed.

smiling smiley

But moving on... is Ruby Tuesday, Let's Spend The Night Together, Yesterdays Papers, We Love You, Citadel, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home, forgotten due to the wonderous JJF?

Clearly not, those tracks are much loved and rightfully so.

Is Ruby Tuesday, for example, musically inferior to JJF?

No, don't be silly. It's a fantastic bit of song writing, beautifully arranged, emotionally potent, melodically interesting.

All of the tracks mentioned are unique and inspired pieces of great music and as good, if not better, than anything they did afterwards.

smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-07 03:20 by His Majesty.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 9, 2017 11:02

Yes defenitely it was a great year in Rock History.
Jimi Hendrix and The Who for albums and Monterey
The Cream - Pink Floyd - The Doors - Otis Redding - Who Breaks a butterfly on a wheel, We Love You The Rolling Stones.
the Velvet Underground & Nico
The Mothers of Invention

It was great to listen to radio Luxembourg and pirate radio ships

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: January 9, 2017 23:48

I think 1969 was better!smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 10, 2017 10:58

Kurt Cobain - born February 20 1967

Date: January 10, 2017 11:22

His Majesty

smiling smiley

But moving on... is Ruby Tuesday, Let's Spend The Night Together, Yesterdays Papers, We Love You, Citadel, 2000 Man, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home, forgotten due to the wonderous JJF?

No, don't be silly. It's a fantastic bit of song writing, beautifully arranged, emotionally potent, melodically interesting.

All of the tracks mentioned are unique and inspired pieces of great music and as good, if not better, than anything they did afterwards.

smileys with beer

Hard to argue with this smiling smiley

Hey! Don't forget Lady Jane, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It, Black, Child Of The Moon and Dandelion (+ many more).

All in the same league quality-wise as the songs you mentioned, imo thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 10, 2017 11:28

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

smiling smiley

smileys with beer

Hey! Don't forget Lady Jane, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It, Black, Child Of The Moon and Dandelion (+ many more).

Lady Jane, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It, Black aren't 1967 though.

Date: January 10, 2017 11:38

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

smiling smiley

smileys with beer

Lady Jane, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It, Black aren't 1967 though.

Ha ha, I forgot which thread I was posting in! Only Dandelion was from 1967 grinning smiley

Date: January 10, 2017 11:44

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

smiling smiley

smileys with beer

Ha ha, I forgot which thread I was posting in! Only Dandelion was from 1967 grinning smiley

All amongst Brian's very best songs though and written in the spirit of 67 and nascent psychedelia.

Date: January 10, 2017 12:22

What I find interesting about '67 re. the Stones, is that they stayed in Europe. It is said that '67 in particular was the Summer of Love; psychedelia and all. When I look at what the bands are doing I see a marked difference between US and Europe.
In the US the direction seemed to be towards nature; finding your place in Mother Nature. The sounds were drifting towards Country and Folk. It took Hendrix going to Europe to find his way.
It was the European bands that took this into a harder direction.
Psychedelia was a fusion of widely opposite ways of thought. In the same year, same country, you had Aretha releasing "I Never Loved A Man", and you had the Velvet Underground coming up with their first album. Come to think of it - Aretha was East Coast; so the VU and her might have been door to door.
The main visionaries like Beatles, or Brian Wilson, of course were universal. That is WHY they are visionaries. This was global thinking. I tread that Brian Wilson watched the Stones record "My Obsession" and was very impressed with it. His next work was "Good Vibrations".
What I like about the Stones in this, is that they set out on a Euro tour. With Brian Jones. Yes, it looks like some of them jetted over to the US for an event or two, but they were entrenched in Europe. Recording; exploring in the studio; with various results - some glorious, some misfires.
Ultimately, I really like this about them: that they spent so much of that Summer in Scandinavia, NL, Germany, Poland and Greece and Italy.
The most interesting year? I'm sure from the Stones point of view it was not. Historically it looks like a lot of groundwork was laid: for future songs, albums, festivals. And the next school of bands.

Date: January 10, 2017 16:08

^ thumbs upsmoking smiley

Date: January 10, 2017 16:30

Palace Revolution 2000
What I find interesting about '67 re. the Stones, is that they stayed in Europe. It is said that '67 in particular was the Summer of Love; psychedelia and all. When I look at what the bands are doing I see a marked difference between US and Europe.
In the US the direction seemed to be towards nature; finding your place in Mother Nature. The sounds were drifting towards Country and Folk. It took Hendrix going to Europe to find his way.
It was the European bands that took this into a harder direction.
Psychedelia was a fusion of widely opposite ways of thought. In the same year, same country, you had Aretha releasing "I Never Loved A Man", and you had the Velvet Underground coming up with their first album. Come to think of it - Aretha was East Coast; so the VU and her might have been door to door.
The main visionaries like Beatles, or Brian Wilson, of course were universal. That is WHY they are visionaries. This was global thinking. I tread that Brian Wilson watched the Stones record "My Obsession" and was very impressed with it. His next work was "Good Vibrations".
What I like about the Stones in this, is that they set out on a Euro tour. With Brian Jones. Yes, it looks like some of them jetted over to the US for an event or two, but they were entrenched in Europe. Recording; exploring in the studio; with various results - some glorious, some misfires.
Ultimately, I really like this about them: that they spent so much of that Summer in Scandinavia, NL, Germany, Poland and Greece and Italy.
The most interesting year? I'm sure from the Stones point of view it was not. Historically it looks like a lot of groundwork was laid: for future songs, albums, festivals. And the next school of bands.

Good points Palace. Many people looked towards the US West Coast and San Francisco for inspiration. Paul McCartney was initially involved in setting up Monterey Pop which The Who and Hendrix played at and George Harrison visited San Francisco in the summer of love.

I think Dylan was still many people's guiding light though and while his lyrics were pretty stream of consciousness his music returned to folk and then country. And then some big hitters followed - The Byrds, The Band, the mellower Beatles songs on the White Album and of course the Stones on Beggars.

Hendrix was one of the notable exceptions and never really gave up on his psychedelic vision.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2017 17:04

beyond the albums and singles, if you include events, I'd give it to 1969 if only for Woodstock and Altamont and the timing of Space Oddity released a week before the first man on the moon landing.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 10, 2017 17:08

Redhotcarpet
Kurt Cobain - born February 20 1967

I thought we were discussing the positives.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 10, 2017 17:25

treaclefingers
beyond the albums and singles, if you include events, I'd give it to 1969 if only for Woodstock and Altamont and the timing of Space Oddity released a week before the first man on the moon landing.

And bizarrely predicted the drama in the Gregory Peck film Marooned, released only a few months later and Apollo 13 the following year.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 10, 2017 19:10

Upon reflection perhaps it's better to consider 1966-1967 (or early 1966 to mid-1967) as a recording and cultural year/era (when considering the 'most interesting year in rock history').

There were many pop/rock groups already recording and producing works in early 1966 that were similar to or on the level of the recordings that they would go on to release in 1967. There are some obvious examples, such as albums recorded by The Rolling Stones (Aftermath), The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds), and The Beatles (Revolver) and several others, each driving the direction of the pop/rock scene to come in 1967.

But the appearance of the Jimi Hendrix Experience during 1967 was a distinctive one.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 19:15 by nightskyman.

Date: January 10, 2017 19:16

nightskyman
The Rolling Stones (Aftermath), The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds), and The Beatles (Revolver)

But the appearance of the Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1967 probably was unexpected.

Lovely trio of albums.

Date: January 10, 2017 21:05

God, wouldn't it just be so interesting had Hendrix lived. It's Silver Dagger's comment "Hendrix never really gave up on his psychedelic vision" that made me think that. I mean - Hendrix in the 80's! LOL

I daydream about these stupid scenarios a lot: I'll imagine that Beethoven shows up at my house one night; completely confused and lost. Like Wtf is going on? And then I take him around and show him what has been happening. "And yes - we STILL listen to you".

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home