Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: What Happened To Rock Music?
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 2, 2017 10:27

"Singles and albums are two different markets nowadays, more than ever before".

That's exactly what I tried to say, georgelicks, using examples from two Stones albums.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 2, 2017 10:37

georgelicks
RollingFreak
Aquamarine
georgelicks
people under 30-35 could care less about physical product, that's a old man thing,

Vast numbers of people in that age demographic are responsible for the resurgence of vinyl as a medium.

Cause its hipster and fashionable. No one cares about physical music in that demographic. I'm that demographic and I know no one that truly buys vinyl for vinyl. It "looks nice" or vintage. No one has vinyl because they actually care about it. The other people that have it are those like my father, who literally can't tell the difference but buys vinyl now because he remembers buying vinyl and now its available again. Its basically money in the toilet.

I know a big number of pople (including myself) buying vinyl as a fashionable item, but they never play it, hell even you can buy the vinyl on Amazon and get a free MP3 copy for your phone, pendrive, PC.
It's a way to support an artist, I get their music on FLAC, MP3 but at the same time I'm buying vinyl as a decorative item, I'm done with CD's.

You buy vinyl as a decorative item??????

That is hilarious.......

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: January 2, 2017 11:41

In the 50's, Rock n' Roll was a "new" music, inspired by older traditionnal and popular musics (country, R&B, Blues).

This music was created ans played by young people, and belongs to their generation. In this way, this music wasn't alwnays appreciated by older people.

It was a classic opposition between generations.

Today, everyone (young, teenagers, adults, old people) listen to Rock music, and play Rock music...

IMO, that's a non sense.

Young generations can be inspired by rock or pop music, bu they have to create their own music.

We could not appreciate this music, but what's the problem?
Who cares?

They have to create, without taking care of what we can appreciate, and without paying respect to our own old "rock star".

Sense of life...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 2, 2017 11:50

It's a way to support an artist, I get their music on FLAC, MP3 but at the same time I'm buying vinyl as a decorative item, I'm done with CD's.
Isnt the best way to support artists buying their merch? Like t-shirts and so on?

Date: January 2, 2017 12:53

Its still out there; jst like good radio stations on the AM dial. There is so much more available, and there are so many mediums and vehicles for music to be experienced. Used to be it was No 1 because it was close to being the only thing.
I hear tons of great new rock music; more thna I can absorb. I hear tons of vintage rock music; there is a wealth, an abundance of great albums remastered, classic editions with extra tracks and liner notes.
IMO it is as present as can be.So it doesn't dominate the charts. The reasons for that are obvious.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 2, 2017 13:28

laertisflash
The big difference between jazz in 60s - 70s and rock today, it's that rock still has a remarkable audience. I'm 56 years old. I don't remember jazz albums topping the charts, when was teenager. Not even a few, not even sporadically. I don't remember any young people going to jazz performances. But in the last years I have seen a notable number of young people at Stones or Bruce's stadium gigs- to mention just two acts from the "old guard" of the rock. When rock was dominating, everything older seemed and sounded obsoleted. That's not exactly what happened to rock music in the last decades...

Instead of crying for "the death of rock" for the 150, 000th time, we could celebrate the global success of "Blue and Lonesome"...

Maybe my using jazz as an example was not the best choice. I am also 56 and what I remember as a teenager was that rock was then at the top of the charts, but I was trying to think of what was the rage in, say - the 1940's, perhaps. What would you call that era or the time of Sinatra, etc? That music still does exist but it's no longer the rage of the music buying majority. So it is today. The kids and young adults are buying whatever is the current rage but rock still exists; it's just not center stage in pop culture anymore.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 2, 2017 15:53

The conspirators that killed blues-based rock:

1. MTV
2. Rap
3. Grunge

and, ..... formatted radio playlists, no live DJs anymore.

For example, on so-called "classic" rock stations, one would think the Who, Floyd (Us And Them or Money again anyone?), Zep, Stones, etc. had only released about 15 songs each, while the deep cuts played back in the day are forgotten. Very little solo Beatles stuff either. And tons of great bands are forgotten (Dwight Twilley Band, etc.).

Great music is available "live" everywhere, just not on the radio.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 2, 2017 16:34

Palace Revolution 2000
Its still out there; jst like good radio stations on the AM dial. There is so much more available, and there are so many mediums and vehicles for music to be experienced. Used to be it was No 1 because it was close to being the only thing.
I hear tons of great new rock music; more thna I can absorb. I hear tons of vintage rock music; there is a wealth, an abundance of great albums remastered, classic editions with extra tracks and liner notes.
IMO it is as present as can be.So it doesn't dominate the charts. The reasons for that are obvious.

Exactly. People need to get their head out of the sand and look around instead of only looking backwards. There are great bands in your local town, go see and support them. Fvck the charts.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 2, 2017 16:45

There are lots of good rock bands out there. Unlike yesteryear when radio stations and record companies hyped and played bands, sometimes for financial reasons....you now need to seek out music. Few music fans rely on broadcast radio, record company hype or satellite radio for that matter. Chances are few people learn about new bands from the latest single they just heard in a record store, as few people end up in record stores.

People on this board (myself included) still hang out at record stores and concerts as often as we can...but we're the minority.

There are loads of great bands out there, but instead of the record company or radio program director pushing a band, you need to open your mind to checking out new bands, new music anywhere you can. Live, or reading blogs, or getting suggestions on Spotify or other services.

Yes, there is still Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Metallica, etc, and bands may never reach that level of popularity again as they don't have a record company promoting them. But they're out there.

This year, I loved listening to (and seeing):

Barrence Whitfield & The Savages - loud, in your face, aggressive and led by a guy who looks like a bouncer at a bar that would gladly kick someone's ass. Good records, but their recordings do not even mildly compare to their live sound.

Joanna Gruesome - Welsh kids with loud guitars and aggression and vocals going from soft to screaming

Sunflower Bean - a very young power trio from NYC with a sound that can be very modern at times but with some serious influences from heavy 70s music. They have their own sound, but their parents probably have a great record collection that was heavy on Deep Purple, Robin Trower, etc Great live band.

Tame Impala - Aussie band with serious early 70s sound.

And the list goes on and on. Find more by turning off commercial broadcast radio, and checking out internet only stations and services like Spotify. With the demise of record companies and the plethora of recording and and mixing software out there making it possible to record on even a tiny budget, there are more music choices than EVER out there. We all need to break the habit of consuming what broadcast radio, MTV and record companies once served, and hunt for ourselves.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2017 17:55

Here is one great example of how rock is not dead:

Date: January 2, 2017 18:04

I had to explain to someone recently when they talked about vinyl outselling downloads in the UK that it wasn't copies it was money.

I prefer to listen to LPs and EPs on CDs, which seem to still be the biggest selling medium. I have some vinyl, LPs and EPs, but don't listen to them. I listen on Spotify once in a while. I might download something 2 or 3 times a year. iTunes pisses me off. There are other places - Amazon, Google.

Album units overall fell 13.6 percent, with 100.3 million total sales. The compact disc continued to crumble, losing 11.6 percent and moving 50 million. Digital album sales fell to 43.8 million, from 53.7 million in the first half of last year. Vinyl sales continued to move up and to the right, growing 11.4 percent, to 6.2 million.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 3, 2017 00:15

Whale
Isnt the best way to support artists buying their merch? Like t-shirts and so on?

Yes, but I would assume you wear the T-shirt, stick the stickers on something, etc. Buying an album to look at is a weird concept, especially as I assume the "decorative" part is the sleeve, rather than the album itself (which thus makes for a very expensive sleeve and a waste of wax)? I've honestly never heard of this before, but each to his own, I guess.

And just to reinforce the other posts in this thread--there are a ton of good rock bands out there today, and not just vintage bands. But there are even more great uncategorizable bands who play music that contains elements of multiple genres--including rock.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 3, 2017 00:27

Aquamarine

That is hilarious.......

Yes, for about 3 years now, but only Stones' related stuff, I use MP3's for the car and iphone, Spotify for PC and vinyl only to get the physical product.
My B&L vinyl looks amazing on my living.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 3, 2017 09:42

^^ That's strat72, not me, who you're quoting there. Not that I don't agree . . . grinning smiley

Date: January 3, 2017 09:59

if anyone here is familiar with rob zombie, he said something a few years ago that seems true.

he said in the early 90's grunge made rock seem like it was no longer fun. it made it seem as if everything needed to be serious and no one cared about having an image that appeared fun or glamorous. that rap and country took over the marketplace for fun and rock never recovered.

I think he is right. around 1995 or so country and rap both starting going more and more in a direction to mainstream audiences that focused on partying and drinking and fun. remember before that most rap was about society problems and country was about heartaches and heartbreaks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 3, 2017 15:30

keefriffhard4life
if anyone here is familiar with rob zombie, he said something a few years ago that seems true.

he said in the early 90's grunge made rock seem like it was no longer fun. it made it seem as if everything needed to be serious and no one cared about having an image that appeared fun or glamorous. that rap and country took over the marketplace for fun and rock never recovered.

I think he is right. around 1995 or so country and rap both starting going more and more in a direction to mainstream audiences that focused on partying and drinking and fun. remember before that most rap was about society problems and country was about heartaches and heartbreaks.

I agree

Date: January 5, 2017 08:56

in the last 20 years there have been plenty of good rock albums released but most of them are by veteran artists

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 5, 2017 12:06

georgelicks
Aquamarine

That is hilarious.......

Yes, for about 3 years now, but only Stones' related stuff, I use MP3's for the car and iphone, Spotify for PC and vinyl only to get the physical product.
My B&L vinyl looks amazing on my living.

"48% of people who bought vinyl last month have yet to play the record. Some 7% of those surveyed said they didn't even own a turntable, while a further 41% said they have one but don't use it"

http://www.whathifi.com/news/48-people-who-buy-vinyl-dont-listen-to-records

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 5, 2017 12:14

48% of people are idiots then ...winking smiley

With regard to the generational angle that folks have raised...its not just "Rock" music that's lost significance over the years.

Music in gerneral used to be a rallying flag for youth but it's place in their culture today has been in part taken by other things like gaming and social media.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 5, 2017 12:16

The key, for me, to moving forwards is to force myself to listen to someone/band completely new. It seems incredibly self-limiting not to mention missing out on a lot of new music, to only listen to the Stones or bands that have some musical overlap with them. Music has always evolved and long may it continue to do so. Blues-based rock was just one step on a long ladder of musical evolution. As some old guy once said "They passed it on".

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 5, 2017 12:56

I think for many of us the Stones may have broadened our otherwise limited musical horizons .

It was certainly their genre hopping nature that initially encouraged me to investgate and subsequently appreciate a lot of good country & Reggae for example.

Date: January 6, 2017 19:50

May be it is not about what happened to rock...it is about what happened to us....grinning smiley

Date: January 6, 2017 20:09

Spud
48% of people are idiots then ...winking smiley

With regard to the generational angle that folks have raised...its not just "Rock" music that's lost significance over the years.

Music in gerneral used to be a rallying flag for youth but it's place in their culture today has been in part taken by other things like gaming and social media.

Someone asked me recently, are DJs musicians? I said no, not specifically. They may have the mind of a musician, to hear things, but they're not playing a musical instrument, they're playing an instrument that plays music.

A lot of music these days is all done on computers. How anyone likes or respects Kanye West is beyond me the guy is such a sphinctoral talentless moron. Millennials don't like Bowie's last 2 albums because "they don't sound like David Bowie" but they'll happily listen to someone else that does similar, especially BLACKSTAR.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 6, 2017 21:05

The biggest failing with modern rock is that it used to be dangerous and rebellious and generational, and so attracted cutting edge artists, but is now used to sell things, doesn't offend anyone and is piped into elevators.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 7, 2017 00:33

Send It To me
The biggest failing with modern rock is that it used to be dangerous and rebellious and generational, and so attracted cutting edge artists, but is now used to sell things, doesn't offend anyone and is piped into elevators.

Plus, radio is generally no longer a viable medium for new artists. They have to get exposure on the internet, etc. One good band that is having some success this way is The Pretty Reckless. I hear definite Zep and blues / classic rock influences but they kind of have their own sound as well.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 15, 2017 23:14

surprised from time to time, rarely,
when it peeks it''s head out now and again...
guy talkin' real shit too
love he's got his drummer in front of the stage
lad seems to know what he's tryin' to do...

[www.youtube.com]

editing in: better version, more clear
[www.youtube.com]

apparently he can't get no satisfaction:
[www.azlyrics.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 05:18 by hopkins.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 16, 2017 00:23

Thanks "hopkins" for the head's up re Sturgill Simpson and Call To Arms. Love it. Made me recall the music of the 60s/early 70s and the call by artists/musicians/writers/people for change and revolution/resolution to make the world a better place. Even the Stones were there: Salt of The Earth; I Am Waiting; Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 16, 2017 14:57

Hair implants.

Ruined everything.

Date: January 16, 2017 18:19

palerider22
I liked the article...except for the opinion that he blames baby boomers for electing Trump. It wasn't us...at least those that grew up with and liking classic rock. We'd never vote for a con man like him...'Won't Get Fooled Again'...

right....I get it. You voted for a con woman like her.
give it a rest, snowflake.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 16, 2017 18:39

Send It To me

There are still new, young, eager, cutting edge artists that are dangerous and rebellious and generational, but they don't get much attention anymore, because the baby boomers refuse to broaden their horizon and prefer to listen geriatric acts only. smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home