Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Music memoirs; what are you reading?
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 12, 2017 01:24

35love
DeanGoodman
Any Skynyrd fans? This will be the first - and last - book written by a Skynyrd. Due October 2017 (40th anniversary) via Backbeat Books/Hal Leonard:

[amzn.to]

Cool I'll buy your book Goodman. Will there be a kindle type version?
Just see hardback so far. And, Congrats!

Sorry, just saw this. Yes, there will be Kindle, and Artimus will do what will possibly be the lengthiest audiobook in history because he likes to talk. The publisher is still editing the book. I vetoed their first choice of cover photo. We begin selling foreign-language rights soon. I know publishers in Germany and Finland (!) are going crazy for it.

Yes, @keefiffhard4life, Artimus was not around at the very beginning. He joined just as "Sweet Home Alabama" was rising up the charts in the second half of '74, so was there for Skynyrd's mainstream arrival and the associated pandemonium. He remembers everything, though, because he was the only relatively cogent member.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-12 01:27 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 12, 2017 03:35

I'm finally getting around to read Pete Townsend's book

Re: SEMI-OT: Music memoirs; what are you reading?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 14, 2017 20:56

Finally into Elvis Costello's book, Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink. A Stones anecdote early in the book:

In the early spring of 1971, it was announced that the The Rolling Stones were coming to Liverpool to play two shows in one night. This was a month or so before the release of Sticky Fingers and immediately before they went into the French tax exile that yielded Exile on Main St.

On the day the shows went on sale, I overslept, and by the time I got to the Empire Theatre most of the pupils from my school and several others in the inner city were wound around the block, two or three deep, queueing for tickets.

I affected teenage indifference and had the following conversation with myself in my head.

"The Rolling Stones?"

"Yeh, they're probably past it."

And I decided to spend the money I'd saved on a record instead. All of which would be a good story if the record I purchased had been something more inspiring than Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane.

I wonder if Elvis is going through the same pre-tour agony we are now? Though I expect he could get any seat he wants.

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: July 14, 2017 21:56

This really seems to be the year/years of the rock bio.
Just saw one about the Faces in the bookstore.
Anybody read this one?

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 14, 2017 22:00

Currently reading Steven Adlers book.

Re: SEMI-OT: Music memoirs; what are you reading?
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 14, 2017 22:13

I'm about 40% of the way through Jim Dickinson's "I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone" and am finding it to be an EXCELLENT read. I'm not to the part where he talks about his time with the Stones in Muscle Shoals. I can't remember that last time I enjoyed reading an "artist memoir" as much as this one.

Highly recommended!!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: July 15, 2017 02:49

Just finished the Tiny Tim bio "Eternal Troubador." Eccentric to the extreme and not my cup of tea, but many people throughout the book (including Johnny Carson and Howard Stern) called him the most genuine person they'd ever met. His persona wasn't a put-on. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of early 20th century popular music. All he ever wanted was to perform and make people happy. Recorded some songs with Dylan and The Band (check YouTube), played Isle of Wight festival. Collapsed onstage in '96.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-15 02:56 by TheBadRabbit.

Date: July 15, 2017 12:04

MrHappy
This really seems to be the year/years of the rock bio.
Just saw one about the Faces in the bookstore.
Anybody read this one?
I am looking at it right now, laying on the floor. Re-reading it.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: July 15, 2017 15:05

Went to Exit festival in Novi Sad,Serbia in town cool little book shop and picked up"God Save the KinKs"by Rob Jovanovic and Nina Simone by Davi Braun-Lambert....great to always have books around and the train back to Prague took 20 hours!!!!! it was also 44.celsius roasting.M

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: July 15, 2017 15:23

Jim Dickinsons is next for me...already played the cd several times...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 15, 2017 18:14

Been out a while, but I just read Fortunate Son.
Just taking him at his word, am even more impressed by CCR's catalog. Fogerty wrote the songs, arranged them, produced them, told the players what to play, sometimes even went back into the studio and replaced their backup vocals with his own.
He would have been much better from the beginning with a purely backup band. Later American singer/songwriters like Petty, Springsteen, Segar etc., were marketing as Petty and the Heartbreakers, Springsteen and the E Street band, etc. It probably solved the problem of the bass player getting too full of himself.
He also gives you a good idea of what it was like to grow up in small town America. I grew up listening to mostly British bands, but CCR was our band.
Also, I realize he was screwed by his management, but boy he knows how to hang onto a resentment, even when it was damaging his own career. He spent too much of his life brooding and drinking.
When the Stones got screwed, they regrouped and came back.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 15, 2017 19:07

'Careless Love' by Peter Guralnick.
Probably the greatest author for biographies.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 13, 2019 05:12

‘An American Band, The America Story’
by Dan Peek April 8 2011 Kindle
Original print 2004
But in the middle of the updated version (2011, and Dan Peek passed in 2011)
The last chapters look like the updated part,
he talks about hindsight/ wisdom.
He also wrote
‘Our Day In The Sun’ in 2011
W/ his wife about their 12 years on a Cayman Island.

I like his writing, humor, I am able to get a good sense of him- RIP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 05:30 by 35love.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 13, 2019 09:51

Just finished two pretty good ones:

Lonely Boy: Tales of a Sex Pistol, Steve Jones.
So Here It Is, Dave Hill.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: March 13, 2019 13:13

'Stranded in the Jungle" Jerry Nolan

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: March 13, 2019 17:20

'1971 Never a dull moment - Rock's golden year' by David Hepworth
A nicely presented book, a chapter for each month followed by a playlist from that month. (I'm just reading November atm)
Agree with comments by Mongoose above. A recommended read
A nice 'trip down memory lane' if that's what you're after, though I suppose that's what any decent music memoir will be

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 13, 2019 22:07

Palace Revolution 2000
'Stranded in the Jungle" Jerry Nolan

Whats this like? is there good info on the dolls and heartbreakers?
Ive read "Please Kill me" by legs and theres a few chapters with comments from nolan. Man he led a life!

Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: March 14, 2019 03:55

Just finished : Myles Goodwyn from April Wine bio,
great book btw,

Now just starting : Bon: The Last Highway: The Untold Story of Bon Scott and AC/DC’s Back In Black by Jesse Fink,

great read so far

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 14, 2019 19:45

Reading "Stone Alone" right now by Bill Wyman.

Am I to understand that "Rolling with the Stones" picks up where the former leaves off (in 1969 if I remember correctly?)

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home