Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Music memoirs; what are you reading?
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 16, 2017 16:33

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread... I now have some ideas of where to go when I finish my current stack of books... I wish I had more time to read, it's the one thing I really "miss".

My recent books:

Joe Perry's autobiography - Good read. I enjoyed it.
Current: A Sam Cooke biography - I'm enjoying it so far. He's just transitioning from gospel to pop
Next: A biography on Aretha Franklin

Hopefully people will keep coming back to this thread and adding their favorites and recommendations... We can have our own little "IORR Book of the Month Club"... Except for the fact that I'll be months behind by summer...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 16, 2017 17:03

These just arrived-

The Wrecking Crew- Kent Hartman

Here, There and Everywhere- Geoff Emerick

Homeward Bound (Paul Simon bio)- Peter Ames Carlin

I am Brian Wilson- Brian Wilson

Conversations With McCartney- Paul DuNoyer

OT-

The Jack Benny Show- Milt Josefsberg

Why and When The Dick Van Dyke Show Was Born- Carl Reiner (he will custom inscribe it)

All The Gallant Men- Donald Stratton (first hand Pearl Harbor survivor account)

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 17, 2017 03:37

Johnny Cash - by Robert Hilburn - excellent

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: January 18, 2017 07:55

Just got the book - looks like I can devour this one in the next weekend - Glenn Berger's "Never Say No To A Rock Star."

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 19, 2017 22:43

Yes Joe Perrys book is good, Mr_dja!
An easy read for sure, but for once we guitar nerds get an own chapter just about guitars, amperigs and so on. Essential.
Made me go back and listen to the old Aerosmith riffs again.

Date: January 20, 2017 19:27

mr_dja
Thanks everyone for participating in this thread... I now have some ideas of where to go when I finish my current stack of books... I wish I had more time to read, it's the one thing I really "miss".

My recent books:

Joe Perry's autobiography - Good read. I enjoyed it.
Current: A Sam Cooke biography - I'm enjoying it so far. He's just transitioning from gospel to pop
Next: A biography on Aretha Franklin

Hopefully people will keep coming back to this thread and adding their favorites and recommendations... We can have our own little "IORR Book of the Month Club"... Except for the fact that I'll be months behind by summer...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Hi Mr DJA, I read the A'smith bio "Walk this Way" and loved it. I liked the way it was written, and that it had all the players talking. So I really was looking for ward to 'Rocks', Joe Perry. IMO his book came of kind of dull. Regardless; the two books made re-appreciate their first 7 to 8 albums.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 20, 2017 20:15

I really liked "Way Down: Playing Bass with Elvis, Dylan, The Doors and More," by Jerry Scheff. Scheff had a long and varied career as a studio and live musician with many famous bands. His take on the studio musician scene in LA in the 1960s and early 1970s was fascinating. Scheff was Elvis's favorite bass player, and he got invited to join the Doors shortly before Jim Morrison died.

I'm currently reading "How the Beatles Destroyed Rock and Roll," by Elijah Wald, a professor at UCLA. The book probably needs a less inflammatory title. It traces the evolution of American music starting with ragtime to the 1970s and has a lot to say about how technology and race relations shaped American music. A fascinating book.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 21, 2017 19:14

Pietro
I really liked "Way Down: Playing Bass with Elvis, Dylan, The Doors and More," by Jerry Scheff. Scheff had a long and varied career as a studio and live musician with many famous bands. His take on the studio musician scene in LA in the 1960s and early 1970s was fascinating. Scheff was Elvis's favorite bass player, and he got invited to join the Doors shortly before Jim Morrison died.

I'm currently reading "How the Beatles Destroyed Rock and Roll," by Elijah Wald, a professor at UCLA. The book probably needs a less inflammatory title. It traces the evolution of American music starting with ragtime to the 1970s and has a lot to say about how technology and race relations shaped American music. A fascinating book.

Scheff's son is Jason Scheff, who spent many years in the band Chicago after replacing Peter Cetera.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: January 22, 2017 20:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-22 20:20 by Christiaan.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 23, 2017 13:57

Has "Jerry Lee Lewis - His Own Story " by Rick Bragg already been mentioned?

Marvelous book; great piece of writing.
What a life; and what a rock'n'roll icon.

Date: February 4, 2017 00:44

Hotel California by Barney Hoskyns. It's a great look at Laurel Canyon in the 1960s and 1970s. It covers many musicians of that era.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 4, 2017 03:49

Check out "Hank: The Short Life and Long Country Road of Hank Williams" by Mark Ribowsky. Hank set the pattern for rock star excess.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: February 4, 2017 04:22

Shane macgowan. Fantastic read

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 4, 2017 04:28

Re-reading Greenfield's S.T.P.

I often re-reead books, but this is the first music memoir that I've re-read.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 5, 2017 21:22

rattler2004
Re-reading Greenfield's S.T.P.

I often re-reead books, but this is the first music memoir that I've re-read.

it's a nice timepiece

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 5, 2017 21:22

[www.amazon.com]
EXPERIENCING THE ROLLING STONES

Happy Birthday 88 Hal Blaine today!! drums on Wolf's version of Little Red Rooster (young Billy Preston on organ) and so much more; like almost every hit in the universe for everybody.
Was able to find an excerpt online where he talks exactly of how the Stones handled it and what influences they used to make their version.
A very good writer with a great touch and a lot of knowledge.
i'd like to get this book down the line. He's saying The Stones used open G on their version; had that ace up their sleeves early on;
we usually hear about it when Ry came along and got appropriated...
...it's basic Stones facts I sometimes forget; Brian's slide was open G? or Keith's acoustic? or both?

Happy Birthday HAL; you are a giant!!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 21:26 by hopkins.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 13, 2017 05:07

Any Skynyrd fans? This will be the first - and last - book written by a Skynyrd. Due October 2017 (40th anniversary) via Backbeat Books/Hal Leonard:

[amzn.to]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-13 06:05 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 4, 2017 04:50

KingmanBarstow
Just got the book - looks like I can devour this one in the next weekend - Glenn Berger's "Never Say No To A Rock Star."

Took me longer than a weekend as I got distracted. Great book. The Bob Fosse stuff is amazing. With the sound mess ups at the movie premieres. The story about the then new state of sound reproduction - Dolby. Now unbelievably I want to watch "All That Jazz."

Loved the commentary about Mick and the King Biscuit Flower Hour mixing.

This is a very good book.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 4, 2017 07:36

DeanGoodman
Any Skynyrd fans? This will be the first - and last - book written by a Skynyrd. Due October 2017 (40th anniversary) via Backbeat Books/Hal Leonard:

[amzn.to]

Cool I'll buy your book Goodman. Will there be a kindle type version?
Just see hardback so far. And, Congrats!

Date: April 4, 2017 09:12

KingmanBarstow
KingmanBarstow

Took me longer than a weekend as I got distracted. Great book. The Bob Fosse stuff is amazing. With the sound mess ups at the movie premieres. The story about the then new state of sound reproduction - Dolby. Now unbelievably I want to watch "All That Jazz."

Loved the commentary about Mick and the King Biscuit Flower Hour mixing.

This is a very good book.

"All THat Jazz" is a GREAT film.

Date: April 4, 2017 13:12

DeanGoodman

[amzn.to]

but pyle wasn't even there from the start. missing a lot of what I want to know about probably

Date: April 4, 2017 13:12

any good books about jeff beck?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 4, 2017 17:42

Just finished SpiDEr From Mars: My Life with Bowie, by Spider drummer Woody Woodmansey. Very enjoyable read. Woody comes across as a likeable chap, and he is an underrated drummer. He and Tony Visconti and Co. are currently playing some dates in the UK, performing all of the Ziggy album. I had the good fortune to see them last year (right after Bowie sadly passed) when they did all of The Man Who Sold the World album- and they really did an excellent job.
Anyway - the book is notable that it's from someone who was actually there, and was part of some of Bowie's greatest albums, and you sort of witness the rise to stardom from pretty humble beginnings. For Bowie fans (of which I know there are many here) I'd highly recommend it. 'Different' from a lot of the Bowie books that are out there, just due to it being from the last remaining Spider.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 4, 2017 17:47

keefriffhard4life

If you have some big bucks to spend, Genesis Publications recently put together a Beck book. I don't have it, but they do a top notch job - at a cost (I didn't look for the link, but it's probably in the $500 or so range). Also it's probably not a 'bio', but I believe it's signed by Jeff with likely lots of cools pics and so on. A coffee table collectible of super high quality.

Updated: Here's the link: [www.genesis-publications.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-04 17:49 by DEmerson.

Date: April 5, 2017 06:47

DEmerson
keefriffhard4life

If you have some big bucks to spend, Genesis Publications recently put together a Beck book. I don't have it, but they do a top notch job - at a cost (I didn't look for the link, but it's probably in the $500 or so range). Also it's probably not a 'bio', but I believe it's signed by Jeff with likely lots of cools pics and so on. A coffee table collectible of super high quality.

Updated: Here's the link: [www.genesis-publications.com]

too rich for me. I just want a biography

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 5, 2017 07:25

Nash Graham's was good. Am always thumbing thru 'Life'.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 5, 2017 08:11

me and John Oates' book just came out- will be moderating a discussion with him in San Francisco this thursday night at the Swedish American Hall

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 11, 2017 18:46

hbwriter
me and John Oates' book just came out- will be moderating a discussion with him in San Francisco this thursday night at the Swedish American Hall

[www.amazon.com]

Hey, finished up your book, I enjoyed it! It was different (in a pleasant surprise way) than I expected. And you really have a talent for writing. :-)

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 11, 2017 19:01

keefriffhard4life

Recently updated with the White House gig with Jagger, Brian Wilson tour:

Jeff Beck: Hot Wired Guitar

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 11, 2017 21:51

I just finished Elvis Costellos memoirs....good one...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home