Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Music memoirs; what are you reading?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2016 17:50

Waiting for the Costello book on my birthday...I understand he got something to tell about musicmeetings and such...Claptons and Ronnies books is superb...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 30, 2016 18:16

i would not (sadly) recommend carly simon's- chrissie hyndes really snuck up on me- very good -

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 30, 2016 18:42

So hbwriter...

Was Chrissie Hynde actually "owned" by the motorcycle gang??? And which one???
And is it possible that she still lives with the claimed status to this very day?

That was the impression that I got after reading the book.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 30, 2016 18:49

I have to say "Sound Man" by Glyn Johns was disappointing.

Date: December 30, 2016 18:58

Kurt
So hbwriter...

And is it possible that she still lives with the claimed status to this very day?

the way she covers that bit is sort of vague - but yeah sounds like they had their way wither her. way more interesting is her coverage of the dawn of the punk era in london - be aware- the book ends at the first pretenders record

Date: December 30, 2016 19:04

Currently reading "Bathed In Lightning" by Colin Harper, about the London music scene in the 60-tees.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: December 30, 2016 19:18

Two of them over the Holidays (which is usually my best time for reading):

Testimony, by Robbie Robertson - very enjoyable read, especially anecdotes of other bands and musicians.

Also...

Never a Dull Moment, by David Hepworth. Nice recounting of all the great albums of 1971. I agree with the author that that particular year was probably the summit of creativity for rock.

Happy New Year, IORR brothers and sisters!!

smileys with beer

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 31, 2016 00:23

The book that comes w/ the B&L deluxe is considered a 'book' i suppose. I just read that today, took only about 10-15mins.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 31, 2016 01:13

Open up and Bleed. So far an excellent biography on Iggy. Well written with some good nuggets in it.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: December 31, 2016 01:19

Just finished Bill Wyman's scrapbook - I bought it on-line earlier this year and a family member brought it over. An excellent read; the Stones didn't play as big a part as I'd expected. All in all I thought it was a good piece of British social history, starting off with the WW2 blitz.
The best music biog I read this year was "I'll sleep when I'm Dead" written by Warren Zevon's ex-wife Crystal about her ex husband. Possibly the best warts and all (Warren had a lot of warts) Bio I've read for a long time.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 31, 2016 02:34

Duff McKagan 'It's So Easy And Other Lies'
And I'm not a G & R's fan.
Looked him up to write this,
lo and behold/ book to stage:
[m.youtube.com]

so he's a stud, I'm not getting furthered involved/
waste enough of my time on rockers/
if you haven't read this one yet by chance-

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 31, 2016 04:16

hbwriter
Kurt
So hbwriter...

the way she covers that bit is sort of vague - but yeah sounds like they had their way wither her. way more interesting is her coverage of the dawn of the punk era in london - be aware- the book ends at the first pretenders record

I don't think anyone owns Chrissy Hynde today. She did kind of play it off as matter of fact in the book. Not proud of it but not hiding that it was what it was.

While I loved the book it does seem like a bit of a "Part 1", though it does cover their heyday. I did kind of want to know what happened through the rest of her career (like the extremely brief "Get Close" band's tour), and it does touch lightly on he 2nd album and even the 3rd, then mentions had a few relationships over the years but mostly single and...the end.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 31, 2016 04:54

Cowboy Song, The Authorized Biography of Phil Lynott

I am a huge fan of Thin Lizzy and so far it is an excellent read. Really gets into his childhood which I find interesting and gives good background on what drove him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-31 04:55 by oldschool.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 31, 2016 05:44

oldschool

I am a huge fan of Thin Lizzy and so far it is an excellent read. Really gets into his childhood which I find interesting and gives good background on what drove him.

I read a biography about Phil Lynott quite some time ago (probably 10 years or so) and cannot recall the title but will always remember that his last days were very sad.

PS: I think that it was called The Rocker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-31 09:42 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 1, 2017 00:24

Working through Mike Loves book which I am really enjoying-- good to hear his side of things

waiting in the wings: Robbie Robertsons, Brian Wilsons , Paul Simons biography

This should get me through the cold snowy Maine Winter

ps- Read Chrissie Hyndes ( was good ), John Fogertys ( bogus ), Elvis Costellos ( Loved it )

Autobiographies I would love to read ( if they existed ): Shane MacGowan , Van Morrison , Carlene Carter, Kris Kristofferson , Tom Rush, Peter Wolf

Date: January 1, 2017 01:47

richard hell's memoir is also wonderful

Date: January 1, 2017 23:44

i think in recent times, the best of the lot have to include dylan, patti, keith and bruce - creme de le creme

Date: January 2, 2017 01:47

KingmanBarstow
oldschool

I read a biography about Phil Lynott quite some time ago (probably 10 years or so) and cannot recall the title but will always remember that his last days were very sad.

PS: I think that it was called The Rocker.

There are a couple of other memoirs on Lynott out there which are pretty good. I found this one to be the best so far.

Phil got caught up in the rock star lifestyle of drugs, etc., and eventually died from heart failure as a result. Really a shame as he was a real talent and Thin Lizzy is much more then "The Boys are Back in Town" one hit wonder band IMHO.

More a book on Thin Lizzy than a Lynott Biography this book is excellent. The author, Harry Doherty (RIP), was asked by Lynott to write an biography about the band and he toured with and became good friends with them but after Phil died his mother and guitatist Scott Gorham asked Doherty not to publish the dark stories about Lynott which he honored. Still a great read though with excellent photos.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 2, 2017 02:36

Re: SEMI-OT: Music memoirs; what are you reading?
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 2, 2017 08:52

MrEcho
Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) has just published his autobiography "Lonely Boy". A great book about Steve's childhood in utter poverty and desperation in West London, music and guitar playing being his way out of the darkness, the rise and fall of the Sex Pistols, his move to Los Angeles, his solo records, the Sex Pistols reunion tours and his job as a radio DJ in Los Angeles. A brutally honest book, including detailed accounts of his thievery (for those who don't know, the Sex Pistols had top-of-the-line equipment even before they got started, because Steve had stolen it from concert venues and shops all over London) and his alcohol, drug and sex addictions. A must-read for anyone with even the slightest interest in the Sex Pistols or the London music scene of the 1970s.

Really looking forward to this. I have it pre-ordered, and will see him at the Grammy Museum on U.S. release date. I imagine Steve has previously related a lot of it on his radio show, but it will be great to get it in one book.

David Ritz' (newish) Aretha bio is interesting. He ghosted her memoirs years ago, but she turned his work into junk. It bugged him for years, and now he has done an unauthorized book, which made her mad - though, quite frankly, she should be honored. It is a great read.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 14, 2017 15:49

kovach
rollmops
I am reading the Sam Philips' bio too; I go slowly because there is a LOT to take in. Every page is loaded with info, details, names, connections all of it counting as elements which helped create Rock and Roll. Sam Philips' enthousiasm and madness is so palpable that it is infectious. That's why we love rock and roll; it helps us get the crazy out of ourselves.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Yes there's a lot of detail there! 600+ pages worth...

I was somewhat surprised at how much he emphasized Howlin Wolf over the members of the "million dollar quartet". At least so far, I'm barely halfway through...
I found that interview/presentation of the Sam Philips' bio by the author.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 14, 2017 15:52

Just about to start Neil Young's 'Waging heavy peace'..........

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 14, 2017 18:01

Prince: A Life in Music Kindle Edition
by Matt Carcieri (Author)

$3.99
Really laid out well, informative, put his career in a timeline I was looking for-
Enjoyed it a lot, but I'm a MN Prince fan from way back in the day,
have been reading up quite a bit on Prince.

Re: SEMI-OT: Music memoirs; what are you reading?
Date: January 14, 2017 19:05

DeanGoodman
MrEcho
Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) has just published his autobiography "Lonely Boy". A great book about Steve's childhood in utter poverty and desperation in West London, music and guitar playing being his way out of the darkness, the rise and fall of the Sex Pistols, his move to Los Angeles, his solo records, the Sex Pistols reunion tours and his job as a radio DJ in Los Angeles. A brutally honest book, including detailed accounts of his thievery (for those who don't know, the Sex Pistols had top-of-the-line equipment even before they got started, because Steve had stolen it from concert venues and shops all over London) and his alcohol, drug and sex addictions. A must-read for anyone with even the slightest interest in the Sex Pistols or the London music scene of the 1970s.

Really looking forward to this. I have it pre-ordered, and will see him at the Grammy Museum on U.S. release date. I imagine Steve has previously related a lot of it on his radio show, but it will be great to get it in one book.

David Ritz' (newish) Aretha bio is interesting. He ghosted her memoirs years ago, but she turned his work into junk. It bugged him for years, and now he has done an unauthorized book, which made her mad - though, quite frankly, she should be honored. It is a great read.

Reading Jones book now....very honest and open and a very easy read..very enjoyable.....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 14, 2017 19:31

I recently read the Harry Nilsson bio, "Nilsson: The Life of a Singer-Songwriter" by Alyn Shipton and it was both informative and entertaining.

Interesting to read how his childhood--especially his relationship with his absent father--influenced his early songs,

He was a wildman/party animal,and the accounts of his behavior--especially during the recording of his post-Schmilsson albums, where he'd have a bar in the studio--are the stuff of legend.

But despite all that seeming indifference, he was totally serious about his art, and I came away with a greater appreciation of those later albums.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: January 15, 2017 09:28

Mike Love's book is well worth reading. I'm a big Beach Boys fan and there is no question he's had a lot of unfair things attributed to him. He actually comes off as fairly level headed. Some interesting insights into an often told tale.

Chrissie Hynde's bio was great and unique.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 15, 2017 21:23

Bill Bruford's Autobiography is a very good read.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 16, 2017 15:30

Rog is reading as well...

Date: January 16, 2017 15:40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 15:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 16, 2017 16:02

The New Barbarians book by Rob Chapman. Also, Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan which is not at all music-related but a great book nonetheless!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home