Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Interview - Guitar Tricks Insider December '16
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 22, 2016 22:47

Apologies if already posted:

[www.joomag.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 19:20 by bleedingman.

Re: Keith Interview - Guitar Tricks Inider December '16
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 23, 2016 01:51

Nice, thank you-

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 23, 2016 06:06

Candid. Finally. No pirate persona to distract.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: December 23, 2016 08:07

thank you bleedingman !

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 23, 2016 10:28

Apart from some obvious mistakes by the author, I like the information Keith gives about
the general proces of creating songs. Especially the "none of them are autobiographical"
statement raised some eyebrowes over here at my side.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: December 23, 2016 10:35

Very nice. THank you very much.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 23, 2016 10:50

Great interview. Thanks for posting here.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 23, 2016 11:13

thanks for posting.
jeroen

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 23, 2016 15:15

What the Stones need -- what any artist needs -- is a deadline. When they had six weeks to come up with another single, and when they were doing album-tour-album, then Mick and Keith had to sit down every day and write songs.
But for the last, oh, 30 years, Keith has adopted this attitude that the songs just 'appear' and that he can take a riff into a session and the band will all join in and write the song. I really don't think it ever happened like that.
I know the story about locking them in the kitchen is apocryphal, but it's what they need. You've got to lock Mick and Keith up on some island in the Caribbean with nothing to do for them to do so they can sit down and work together again.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 23, 2016 16:29

wonderboy
You've got to lock Mick and Keith up on some island in the Caribbean with nothing to do for them to do so they can sit down and work together again.

A small village in Italy proved very productive too!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 23, 2016 18:11

wonderboy
What the Stones need -- what any artist needs -- is a deadline. When they had six weeks to come up with another single, and when they were doing album-tour-album, then Mick and Keith had to sit down every day and write songs.
But for the last, oh, 30 years, Keith has adopted this attitude that the songs just 'appear' and that he can take a riff into a session and the band will all join in and write the song. I really don't think it ever happened like that.
I know the story about locking them in the kitchen is apocryphal, but it's what they need. You've got to lock Mick and Keith up on some island in the Caribbean with nothing to do for them to do so they can sit down and work together again.

I actually think the "deadline" process has worked against them since Steel Wheels. They obviously are working on new material but their attitude seems to be let's take our time and figure things out. Gives them a chance to reexamine the songs they are working on. Viva Stones 2017.....smileys with beer

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 23, 2016 18:44

marcovandereijk
wonderboy
You've got to lock Mick and Keith up on some island in the Caribbean with nothing to do for them to do so they can sit down and work together again.

A small village in Italy proved very productive too!

Or a ranch in South America. Or all those Holiday Inns in the early days.
Or give them three days in a small town in Alabama in a great studio with no distractions and a couple of songs already worked out.

Re: Keith Interview - Guitar Tricks Insider December '16
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 23, 2016 19:33

Thanks!

Date: December 23, 2016 20:00

I liked what he said about "going into the studio thinking you have about 4-5 new ones, and you realize they are all the same song." Very true.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: December 23, 2016 20:06

Here is another recent interview on Youtube:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 22:13

Another interesting interview in a string of recent interviews from Keith. Keith is always in. Whenever he decides to speak, people want to listen. Lately we've been blessed with Keith opening up more in the interviews and that's nice. Not that the old interviews were bad! Fans are just lucky to have all these great interviews lately.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 25, 2016 00:56

wonderboy
What the Stones need -- what any artist needs -- is a deadline.

They sure don't need people telling them what they need...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 28, 2016 22:26

Socrates1
Another interesting interview in a string of recent interviews from Keith. Keith is always in. Whenever he decides to speak, people want to listen. Lately we've been blessed with Keith opening up more in the interviews and that's nice. Not that the old interviews were bad! Fans are just lucky to have all these great interviews lately.

AGREED....but
Rather than doing interviews it would be nicer to report some progress on the (new) songs front and the recording of them.
Strangely, Keith makes no reference to Steve Jordan, who lets face it has been his main collaborator for the last dozen or so years.
The article almost implies that Mick is his 'regular'song writing partner when clearly that (sadly) isn't the case.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 03:49

spikenyc
Here is another recent interview on Youtube:

[www.youtube.com]

Funny, this is the first I've heard Keith say that the sockdolager delivered to him from Chuck was because Keith was fiddling with Chuck's guitar (at 14:20). In Hail! Hail! Keith's story was that he was just saying to Chuck, "Don't rush off."

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 2, 2017 21:28

jlowe
Socrates1

AGREED....but
Rather than doing interviews it would be nicer to report some progress on the (new) songs front and the recording of them.
Strangely, Keith makes no reference to Steve Jordan, who lets face it has been his main collaborator for the last dozen or so years.
The article almost implies that Mick is his 'regular'song writing partner when clearly that (sadly) isn't the case.

I just found it interesting for what Keith said and what some of the questions were. It made me reconsider using the word "shaman" in relation to Keith on another thread. I was in a mood. I wouldn't always equate "shaman" with the word "mysticism," and that wasn't my intent at the time. I wasn't thinking "mysticism." I was just thinking he's the guy with the rain stick, so he must be the shaman. If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's fine. Sometimes people don't. Sometimes I don't.

Anyway, I'm not here to put heavy trips on people. Nobody should have to be some magical person. I appreciated Keith crediting his creative processes to being outside of himself. The songs are at the coffee shop. The songs are at a friend's house. The songs are never autobiographical. Which, of course, means Keith is humble. He doesn't credit himself (the mark of a shaman). :-)

He said in another recent interview that his songs are about "situations" and "emotions." He says in this interview that he became an "observer" and not a "participant." What he's not saying is that the songs come from within him. Maybe the journey within spells creative death? For everyone. If we get stuck within there's no feeling, there's no empathy, there's no relating to others.

In an even older interview, from whenever, years ago... Keith said something along the lines of: 'catching the songs as they float through the air.' Again, it was from outside of himself, that he would be pulling this stuff out of the air.. But what would I do if I wasn't "pissing about for months at a time," wondering about the "deeper meaning" of things? Keith doesn't do that. He looks outside of himself and finds creative inspiration. He's the conduit.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 2, 2017 21:59

Keith as "shaman":

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home