Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Keith's black telecaster custom 1972 .
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 26, 2016 14:36

firebird
rollmops
I would like to buy a tele custom 1972 similar to Keith richards'. What should I know about the ones that are on the market? Is it a good guitar, where to buy it and how much? Thank you for your help.
Rock and roll,
Mops

What you should know is that in the originals the pickups that look like humbuckers have a completly different construction. Nowadays they just put standard humbuckers into the reissues, but they are hugh differences in sound.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Thank you Firebird: very interesting and essential information. Unfortunately I now question if i should buy that American reissue at $1400.00 if it isn't what it is supposed to be.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 26, 2016 15:50

Seems like a no brainer then. Unless you can find some original pickups, and put them in yourself. But who knows what else is not original?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 26, 2016 16:05

Get the reissue and drop a Novak or lollar in the neck. They are spec'd to the original wide range humbucker.

Be sure to also havenjoy the tone and volume pots changed to 1M audio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-26 16:07 by MingSubu.

Date: December 26, 2016 17:36

MingSubu
Get the reissue and drop a Novak or lollar in the neck. They are spec'd to the original wide range humbucker.

Hi Ming subu; thank you for your help. I e-mailed Noval and Lollar for info on pick-ups.

I don't understand that sentence that you wrote : Be sure to also havenjoy the tone and volume pots changed to 1M audio.
Can you explain "havenjoy"?
Thank you,
Mops

Date: December 26, 2016 18:03

Typo, sorry.

Date: December 26, 2016 18:32

MingSubu
Typo, sorry.

Do you have a link to the tone and volume potentiometers that you mentionned? thank you MingSubu

Date: December 27, 2016 15:41

www.allparts.com/EP-4988-000-CTS-1-Meg-Audio-Taper-Pot_p_1479.html

OR ask Novak or lollar what brand they recommend. I like cts.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 27, 2016 18:42

MingSubu

Hi MingSubu, I didn't see the original spec'd wide range humbucker on Lollar's or Novaks site. maybe I only missed it but the main magic of the originals WRHs is the use of CuNiFe magnets, which both don't offer.

Telenator offers these but... its gonna get x-pensive.
check these out:
[www.telenator.com]

Date: December 27, 2016 20:32

The CuNiFe magnets are not available, but I'd bet roll mops would be more than happy with the novak, considering if he goes with a reissue.

[curtisnovak.com] these are hand wound to vintage spec.

Date: December 27, 2016 23:22

MingSubu
The CuNiFe magnets are not available, but I'd bet roll mops would be more than happy with the novak, considering if he goes with a reissue.

[curtisnovak.com] these are hand wound to vintage spec.

Yes. I got and answer from novak :

Thanks for the email and interest in what I do.

Yes I have been making and reworking this pickup for over 15 years now.
I spend quite a bit of time getting it right. I have been doing them
for the Fender Custom Shop on some of their special projects for artists
among may, many other people. I think you will be very pleased with
them. If for any reason you do not like them you are free tor return
them for a full refund. I can rework your pickup for $150 each if you
want a complete pickup I can do that as well it is $190 and they are
Nickel covers.

Now the guitar I was planning to score doesn't exist!!! It was on a store website but after contacting Fender they told me they don't have it the production stopped in 2012. I went to Guitar Center and they couldn't find any American custom telecaster. The dude told me to check out Reverb.com which I did and I see one used for just under $1000. It's not black so it will need to be refurnished and to have the humbercker and pots replaced. I am still debating what to do...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 28, 2016 16:49

My two cents....

- Vintage 70's: Don't buy without playing it, because most are dogs. The 1973 to 1975 specimens are better than the 1976 and after guitars, these are just best to be avoided. Until 1975 about half or so are actually quite nice, but most of the nice ones are 1) sunburst (better and lighter woods used) and 2) have rosewood fret boards (which have better quality woods than the all maple necks).

- Fender American Vintage 75 Tele: very good instruments, probably the best of them all for the price. Good woods, build quality and components, except for the FWRH.

- Mexican made: I find the Mexican made guitars decent. Build quality is very good, on par with American made guitars (to which there is no difference). The lacquer is thicker, and components are cheaper. To make it sound good, the pickups and bridge need replacement.

- Japanese made: very good build and very good woods, albeit often locally sourced . Better made than American and Mexican, with thinner coats of lacquer. Downside is the cheap electronics, so pickups and pots need replacement. Many Japanese Tele's have steel frets. I don't mind, but not everybody likes them.

- Fender Custom Shop: there's two of three Custom Shop versions, ranging from only 30 or so build to a couple of hundred. Mostly they resemble vintage 70's instruments, with all the quirks, and they are relic'd as well. I don't get this concept at all, as for $3000 I prefer to look out for a good early 70's one.

Big thing with all instruments not from the 70's: the wide range humbucker. The original used CuNiFe rods, a material simply not available anymore. So most new versions are either standard humbuckers in a bigger casing, or use rods made of AlNiCo. It doesn't matter, as none of the new WRH sound anything like an original one. So, there's only one way to go if you want to sound like Keith on the 1981 tour: find a 1970's. They can be found relatively easy, but they are expensive. $250 is a bargain, $400 a common price.

Last the pots: all 70's Fender's used 1 MEG pots. This makes both the lead and neck pickup sound bright, aggressive and punchy. This sounds great on dark amps like Ampeg SVT's, and on aggressive amps like the Boogie MK1, but quite horrible on Marshall's and VOX amps.

Mathijs

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: December 28, 2016 17:07

Telenator makes Wide Range humbuckers with Cunife magnets, It is just like the original. I got one.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 28, 2016 18:03

check out Wildwood Guitars , The Music Zoo, Dave's Guitars, Wild West Guitars,Matt Umanov Guitars, Gruhn Guitars , Carter Vintage Guitars

Date: December 28, 2016 21:08

I just found two of them at Carter Vintage Guitars [cartervintage.com] [cartervintage.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-28 21:10 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 30, 2016 12:37

Mathijs
My two cents....

- Vintage 70's: Don't buy without playing it, because most are dogs. The 1973 to 1975 specimens are better than the 1976 and after guitars, these are just best to be avoided. Until 1975 about half or so are actually quite nice, but most of the nice ones are 1) sunburst (better and lighter woods used) and 2) have rosewood fret boards (which have better quality woods than the all maple necks).

- Fender American Vintage 75 Tele: very good instruments, probably the best of them all for the price. Good woods, build quality and components, except for the FWRH.

- Mexican made: I find the Mexican made guitars decent. Build quality is very good, on par with American made guitars (to which there is no difference). The lacquer is thicker, and components are cheaper. To make it sound good, the pickups and bridge need replacement.

- Japanese made: very good build and very good woods, albeit often locally sourced . Better made than American and Mexican, with thinner coats of lacquer. Downside is the cheap electronics, so pickups and pots need replacement. Many Japanese Tele's have steel frets. I don't mind, but not everybody likes them.

- Fender Custom Shop: there's two of three Custom Shop versions, ranging from only 30 or so build to a couple of hundred. Mostly they resemble vintage 70's instruments, with all the quirks, and they are relic'd as well. I don't get this concept at all, as for $3000 I prefer to look out for a good early 70's one.

Big thing with all instruments not from the 70's: the wide range humbucker. The original used CuNiFe rods, a material simply not available anymore. So most new versions are either standard humbuckers in a bigger casing, or use rods made of AlNiCo. It doesn't matter, as none of the new WRH sound anything like an original one. So, there's only one way to go if you want to sound like Keith on the 1981 tour: find a 1970's. They can be found relatively easy, but they are expensive. $250 is a bargain, $400 a common price.

Last the pots: all 70's Fender's used 1 MEG pots. This makes both the lead and neck pickup sound bright, aggressive and punchy. This sounds great on dark amps like Ampeg SVT's, and on aggressive amps like the Boogie MK1, but quite horrible on Marshall's and VOX amps.

Mathijs
Thank you thank you thank you

Date: December 30, 2016 13:12

Mathijs , Would love to know your thoughts about the two instruments that I posted for sale at Carter Vintage Guitars ?

Date: December 30, 2016 16:35

I just found a vintage 1974 at Gruhn Guitars [guitars.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-30 16:36 by TheGreek.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: December 30, 2016 17:56

Since rollmops is a german word i want to point the original poster to this german shop: www.guitarpoint.de

They are specialized in vintage guitars and offer Tele Customs sometimes

Date: December 30, 2016 20:51

firebird
Since rollmops is a german word i want to point the original poster to this german shop: www.guitarpoint.de

Actually, he lives near Washington, DC:

rollmops
I live in Kensington, md near DC. I don't mind paying more for the American made. I understand that the one for Mexico is good but I want my guitar to be from the USA

Date: December 31, 2016 00:37

firebird

Thank you Firebird. I live in DC.I didn't know "Rollmops" was a german word. I picked it up at moniker for a little radio show that I started in 1982 in france when "Radios libres" started to erupte in every city, town, little own, village in France thanks to President Francois Miterrand. It was fantastic a the begining. I had one hour every wednesday from 6pm to 7pm. I could do whatever I wantted and what I did was I played rock and roll music, the good shit, lots of stones of course. I called the show "Rollmops" because the first ever written and recorded french rock and roll song was called "Rock and rollmops"(1956) by Boris Vian and Henri Salvador. Then after few months people started to call me Rollmops and I kept the "silly" nickname when I joined my first serious rock and roll band as a guitar player/harmonicist.

I am still searching for that black tele custom 1972.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: January 1, 2017 17:28

rollmops
firebird

Thank you Firebird. I live in DC.I didn't know "Rollmops" was a german word. I picked it up at moniker for a little radio show that I started in 1982 in france when "Radios libres" started to erupte in every city, town, little own, village in France thanks to President Francois Miterrand. It was fantastic a the begining. I had one hour every wednesday from 6pm to 7pm. I could do whatever I wantted and what I did was I played rock and roll music, the good shit, lots of stones of course. I called the show "Rollmops" because the first ever written and recorded french rock and roll song was called "Rock and rollmops"(1956) by Boris Vian and Henri Salvador. Then after few months people started to call me Rollmops and I kept the "silly" nickname when I joined my first serious rock and roll band as a guitar player/harmonicist.

Rock and roll,
Mops

Alle Möpse beißen, Nur der kleine Rollmops nicht.

Your moniker is a pickled haring wrapped around a cucumber, which actually is very Dutch. The German's stole it from us, the bastards.

Mathijs

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: January 1, 2017 18:45

Mathijs
rollmops
firebird

Rock and roll,
Mops

Your moniker is a pickled haring wrapped around a cucumber, which actually is very Dutch. The German's stole it from us, the bastards.

Mathijs

Idiot

Date: January 1, 2017 18:47

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 1, 2017 18:55

Mathijs
rollmops
firebird

Rock and roll,
Mops

Mathijs

Wikipedia says it differently.
[de.wikipedia.org]
The name "rollmops" is German in origin and was probably made up in Berlin.
of course pickled herrings were not a brand new thing at the time though.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 1, 2017 19:18

Berlin, yep.
Of what I heard, they invented the famous "Curry Wurst" there too.

Date: January 1, 2017 19:25

firebird
Mathijs
rollmops
firebird

Rock and roll,
Mops

Mathijs

Idiot

It's a frigging joke. My my.....

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 1, 2017 23:02

rollmops
I called the show "Rollmops" because the first ever written and recorded french rock and roll song was called "Rock and rollmops"(1956) by Boris Vian and Henri Salvador.

Since this thread has derailed into "off topic" territory I'll take the liberty of explaining that Rock and rollmops"(1956) was recorded by Boris Vian and Henri Salvador as a "f@ck yuo" to this new musical genre. These jazz "purists" hated rock'n roll and the youth culture that came with it.

Date: January 2, 2017 15:37

dcba
rollmops
I called the show "Rollmops" because the first ever written and recorded french rock and roll song was called "Rock and rollmops"(1956) by Boris Vian and Henri Salvador.

Since this thread has derailed into "off topic" territory I'll take the liberty of explaining that Rock and rollmops"(1956) was recorded by Boris Vian and Henri Salvador as a "f@ck yuo" to this new musical genre. These jazz "purists" hated rock'n roll and the youth culture that came with it.
Yes Boris Vian thought rock and roll was stupid. But he wrote a good song anyway. Great minds can't get everything right all the time. Rock and roll rules
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: June 7, 2017 13:15

Still looking for that Tele, yesterday I found one on Ebay. It's a re-issue from 2012 fender customm shop. A good price on it :$1250 free shipping. The person is the second owner and in the description it says that the bridge was replaced with a "more-vintage" one. The original bridge comes with the guitar. Anything I should worried or anything questions I should asked the owner? He has an excellent Ebey rating.
Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 7, 2017 17:50

No such thing as a poor Custom Shop guitar...so long as it's nor broken and the price is right, it should be a good buy.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1211
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home