Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: OT : Why Does CNN Keep Hyping Documentary About CHICAGO, the band ?
Date: December 22, 2016 06:44

2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
CNN is showing this because the band Chicago sucks so much that they want the world to know it...I am from Chicago and have never liked them...If you ask 100 people from Chicago, Who is the best band from Chicago 99 will either say Chicago, The Smashing Pumpkins or RKelly...Very few people will mention Wolf...Muddy...Willie Dixon...Jimmie Reed...Little Walter or the rest of the great bluesman...F'ing Pathetic...

your post is confusing. since when are solo artists bands? a lot of the blues artists you named aren't even from Chicago or even Illinois so why would they get named

4-Life...What a bummer...To be that Confused are you also Dazed ???
Knock...Knock is anybody in there ???

well no I'm fine. your post says "ask anyone who the best band from Chicago is" and then you mention individuals. of course no one will say muddy waters. he isn't a band and is from Mississippi. little walter is from Louisiana. willie Dixon also from Mississippi. where you become famous doesn't mean that you are then from that said. these guys were still born in the south.

the smashing pumpkins are actually a band that formed in Chicago with 3 members from that state. Chicago is a band and formed there and a majority of the original guys are from Illinois. styx is also a band formed in Chicago and I believe the entire original lineup was born in Illinois.

why do you want solo artists from other states counted as a band from Chicago?

Sounds like the deeper you go...The more confused you become ???

I didn't go deeper. you want individuals from the south recognized as the best band from Chicago. both of those statements could not be more wrong if you tried. that's like saying Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player from England because he became famous overseas first. Hendrix is still American

Re: OT : Chicago, the band ... on CNN
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 22, 2016 08:08

Here is the link to the e-mail that is posted on Cetera's website that Peter Cetera sent out to the other Chicago band members prior to the RNRHOF ceremony. Basically a "negotiation" for his appearance that eventually broke down.

[Peter Cetera e-mail to other band members]

Here is the link for Peter Cetera's explanation of why he didn't perform with Chicago at the RNRHOF ceremony. This story was printed in Ultimate Classic Rock back in February 2016.

[Peter Cetera explains why he didn't perform with Chicago]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-22 08:16 by The Sicilian.

Re: OT : Chicago, the band
Date: December 22, 2016 08:20

Cooltoplady
keefriffhard4life
can cetera sing anymore?

He hasn't been with the band in over 20 years. I have seen him in concert and yes he can still sing.

I knew he has long been gone. I meant people can asking him to return and he's like 70 now. I had no clue if his voice is still good

Date: December 22, 2016 12:04

kovach
Anyone doubting Terry Kath's guitar playing ability or Chicago's rock credentials in general needs to check out this gem from the first album:

[youtu.be]

Especially from 0:45 - 4:45.

Thanks for posting. I listened to this with an open mind, because I haven't really checked out Chicago.

This was not my thing, though. Didn't like Kath's playing.

Sounds like he's using a Fuzz Face, like Jimi did?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 22, 2016 18:23

keefriffhard4life
Cooltoplady
keefriffhard4life
can cetera sing anymore?

He hasn't been with the band in over 20 years. I have seen him in concert and yes he can still sing.

I knew he has long been gone. I meant people can asking him to return and he's like 70 now. I had no clue if his voice is still good

here you go

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 23, 2016 01:05

[www.youtube.com]

25 or 6 to 4, 2016.

You make the call.

Frankly, I really want to like Cetera, but I don't think there's a spray tan place or face sculptor he's passed up.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 23, 2016 01:18

Okay because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I delved further into Cetera. Are his pipes still there? Yes, they are. Is he a narcissistic freak job as I alluded to earlier? WITHOUT QUESTION.

Below is a link to Cetera doing Dialog Parts I and II at an Atlantic City show earlier this year. He doesn't play an instrument here, yet phantoms playing bass, presumably. If you're going to do that, Petey, just really play the damn thing. As for the rest of his physical gyrations, I was going to say he acts like Sammy Davis, Jr., but not even Sammy was this, um, into himself, and that's saying something. But the worst part is he and his band don't sing the last eight lines or two verses, the ones that wrap up the "dialog" between the two singers. It's plain this song does not carry the same meaning for him today as it did in 1972. It was quite the protest song back then with lyrics that have never really lost their relevancy. Arguably they're more relevant now than ever. However, to the remaining surviving singer (Kath being the other), it's nothing more than a throwaway now.

You know, like Cetera himself.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 01:19 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 23, 2016 03:04

If you like Peter Cetera, it seems like he does a passable facsimile of his oldies material. Not my cup of tea, but his voice is in okay shape when singing the songs a bit lower. He looks good for a 72 year old. He has had work done, but it's not too overstretched. His hair is what makes him most youthful. No recession in front, and a ton of hair in general. His schtick reminds me a bit of Bryan Ferry. The suit and tie, along with the gestures.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 23, 2016 05:54

Long John Stoner
[www.youtube.com]

25 or 6 to 4, 2016.

You make the call.

Frankly, I really want to like Cetera, but I don't think there's a spray tan place or face sculptor he's passed up.

The song is 5 keys lower than the original studio recording. like he said in his email he wanted do this song with Chicago in a different key. One thing I find strange of the email he wanted to do the song in the key of E. He should of said E minor. Right there that tell me the validity of the email. Am I wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 05:56 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: December 23, 2016 06:02

The Sicilian
Here is the link to the e-mail that is posted on Cetera's website that Peter Cetera sent out to the other Chicago band members prior to the RNRHOF ceremony. Basically a "negotiation" for his appearance that eventually broke down.

Here is the link for Peter Cetera's explanation of why he didn't perform with Chicago at the RNRHOF ceremony. This story was printed in Ultimate Classic Rock back in February 2016.

Another thing I find strange about the email is that Cetera says that Danny S is the only email of the band members he has. Danny was out of the band before Cetera was. And in a few youtube interviews he says that he still stays in contact with Robert lamn and no one else. Go figure.

Date: December 23, 2016 06:46

More Hot Rocks
The Sicilian

Another thing I find strange about the email is that Cetera says that Danny S is the only email of the band members he has. Danny was out of the band before Cetera was. And in a few youtube interviews he says that he still stays in contact with Robert lamn and no one else. Go figure.

that's not true. Danny was out of the band in 1990 and Cetera left the band in 1985

Date: December 23, 2016 08:11

More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
[www.youtube.com]

25 or 6 to 4, 2016.

You make the call.

The song is 5 keys lower than the original studio recording. like he said in his email he wanted do this song with Chicago in a different key. One thing I find strange of the email he wanted to do the song in the key of E. He should of said E minor. Right there that tell me the validity of the email. Am I wrong?

I think that's just inaccuracy. Happens now and again smiling smiley

Date: December 23, 2016 16:54

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
The Sicilian

that's not true. Danny was out of the band in 1990 and Cetera left the band in 1985

My Mistake

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: December 23, 2016 23:17

keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
CNN is showing this because the band Chicago sucks so much that they want the world to know it...I am from Chicago and have never liked them...If you ask 100 people from Chicago, Who is the best band from Chicago 99 will either say Chicago, The Smashing Pumpkins or RKelly...Very few people will mention Wolf...Muddy...Willie Dixon...Jimmie Reed...Little Walter or the rest of the great bluesman...F'ing Pathetic...

your post is confusing. since when are solo artists bands? a lot of the blues artists you named aren't even from Chicago or even Illinois so why would they get named

well no I'm fine. your post says "ask anyone who the best band from Chicago is" and then you mention individuals. of course no one will say muddy waters. he isn't a band and is from Mississippi. little walter is from Louisiana. willie Dixon also from Mississippi. where you become famous doesn't mean that you are then from that said. these guys were still born in the south.

the smashing pumpkins are actually a band that formed in Chicago with 3 members from that state. Chicago is a band and formed there and a majority of the original guys are from Illinois. styx is also a band formed in Chicago and I believe the entire original lineup was born in Illinois.

I didn't go deeper. you want individuals from the south recognized as the best band from Chicago. both of those statements could not be more wrong if you tried. that's like saying Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player from England because he became famous overseas first. Hendrix is still American

That is one way to look at if you are not worldly and stuck in one place...
Which to me sounds like you are...Gypsy blood flows in another realm...We have no control of where we are born, birth place is not a choice...Where you live at any given moment to some of us becomes home...I was born and raised in Chicago and have lived in several states and each place has influenced the way I think, feel and live...That sound coming out of Chess did not come out of Mississippi, Louisiana or anywhere else it came out of 2120...None of them were solo...they all played with other players making them a band...In the early days of blues as you know there were no band names...In Rock N' Roll the first band were the Crickets...or you could say the Comets...Sure, Muddy...Willie & Wolf were from the South but the grit of the Southside is what gave us that sound...even when Modern Records recorded Wolf it did not have that sound...All of them made a choice to re-locate and spent more time in Chicago than in the South...Again you do not have a choice on where you are born...however you do have a choice on where you want to live...So are you saying that they are not allowed to call Chicago home because they were not born there ???...Now lets get to the StoneS...As you know Chess is what influenced them ...Chess is the link in the chain and the basics to just about everything recorded and if you disagree just ask your #1 Band the Stones....Without the Chess Sound they would be plumbers, accountants or bus drivers still living in London. I hope this gives you some insight on why, what came out of Chess...were the best bands to come out of Chicago !!!!

Date: December 24, 2016 01:16

2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf

Which to me sounds like you are...Gypsy blood flows in another realm...We have no control of where we are born, birth place is not a choice...Where you live at any given moment to some of us becomes home...I was born and raised in Chicago and have lived in several states and each place has influenced the way I think, feel and live...That sound coming out of Chess did not come out of Mississippi, Louisiana or anywhere else it came out of 2120...None of them were solo...they all played with other players making them a band...In the early days of blues as you know there were no band names...In Rock N' Roll the first band were the Crickets...or you could say the Comets...Sure, Muddy...Willie & Wolf were from the South but the grit of the Southside is what gave us that sound...even when Modern Records recorded Wolf it did not have that sound...All of them made a choice to re-locate and spent more time in Chicago than in the South...Again you do not have a choice on where you are born...however you do have a choice on where you want to live...So are you saying that they are not allowed to call Chicago home because they were not born there ???...Now lets get to the StoneS...As you know Chess is what influenced them ...Chess is the link in the chain and the basics to just about everything recorded and if you disagree just ask your #1 Band the Stones....Without the Chess Sound they would be plumbers, accountants or bus drivers still living in London. I hope this gives you some insight on why, what came out of Chess...were the best bands to come out of Chicago !!!!

it gave me no insight because you are trying to make a link with the stones and chess records to prove you are right. most of these guys used the same musicians to back them. almost like a house band. some of them like willie dixon were hired specifically to write songs or play on albums recorded at chess. howlin wolf was a recording artist in memphis before he was at chess.muddy waters also recorded long before chess.they were still delta blues guys at heart.

Date: December 24, 2016 02:35

keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf

it gave me no insight because you are trying to make a link with the stones and chess records to prove you are right. most of these guys used the same musicians to back them. almost like a house band. some of them like willie dixon were hired specifically to write songs or play on albums recorded at chess. howlin wolf was a recording artist in memphis before he was at chess.muddy waters also recorded long before chess.they were still delta blues guys at heart.

It has nothing to do with proving I am right...Your the one that veered way of the path...I just needed to set you straight...Also not true, the band was not a house band...Yes Willie Dixon played bass and was the arranger he was more that just a hired gun, he was key to Marshall & Phillip...They all played with various musicians in the studio and touring line-ups.......My point was that the band Chicago is getting overblown in this documentary and being that they are named Chicago they get tagged with being the top flight band that came out of my hometown...and that to me is not the case....That was my point before your confused mind muddled it all up...And please do your research on who played with who out of Chess...You are shooting from the hip my friend ????...And as stated previously...yes they recorded in Memphis...but come on...If you cannot distinguish the Chess sound from the Memphis sound...I suggest you pay a visit to your closest ear doctor...I knew you would miss the point...Go to the Delta and then go to the South Side of Chicago...Then maybe you will understand what the point is....Also going by the screen name "riffhard4life" and missing this point...I am baffled...Anyway Have A Good One !!!!

Date: December 24, 2016 03:54

i can tell the difference in sound just fine. i can also read names.

willie dixon
hubert dumlin
little walter
jimmy rogers
buddy guy
fred below

those are just a few guys who appear on multiple chess recordings by different artists there. you just said they all played with various lineups. seems they liked to use the top guys

chess had a sound just like muscle shoals had a sound. if mick jagger moved to l.a. and teamed up with the best players there to back him that doesn't make mick jagger the best band from l.a.

anyways cheap trick is the best actual rock band from illinois

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 25, 2016 08:05

This has really descended into a dumb argument.

Date: December 27, 2016 23:15

kovach

Yeah...No Shit !!!...(Not an argument just a twisted discussion) ???
I should know better that to open up dialog with a 12 year old...

Date: December 28, 2016 03:08

2120Wolf
kovach

thanks for the insult. the people over at the steve hoffman do not share your view about waters and the others being a band from chicago.

Date: December 28, 2016 16:27

keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
kovach

thanks for the insult. the people over at the steve hoffman do not share your view about waters and the others being a band from chicago.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, but that's like disqualifying Elvis from a Memphis list because he's from Tupelo. Or Tina Turner from a St. Louis list because she's from Nutbush. For all practical purposes they made they're largest impacts from their adopted cities.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 28, 2016 17:21

keefriffhard4life

willie dixon
hubert dumlin
little walter
jimmy rogers
buddy guy
fred below

those are just a few guys who appear on multiple chess recordings by different artists there. you just said they all played with various lineups. seems they liked to use the top guys

chess had a sound just like muscle shoals had a sound. if mick jagger moved to l.a. and teamed up with the best players there to back him that doesn't make mick jagger the best band from l.a.

I will follow that up by saying the Paul Butterfield Blues Band should certainly qualify as the best band from Chicago. Not all born here but many were local area guys. The Butter Band was one of the greats, period.

Date: December 30, 2016 21:57

filstan
keefriffhard4life

willie dixon
hubert dumlin
little walter
jimmy rogers
buddy guy
fred below

I will follow that up by saying the Paul Butterfield Blues Band should certainly qualify as the best band from Chicago. Not all born here but many were local area guys. The Butter Band was one of the greats, period.

Along with the key guys at Chess "No Doubt I Agree"....and don't forget Curtis Mayfield. My only point was that when the majority of people in my hometown (Chicago) discuss who the top bands are that came out of the city...99 out of 100 don't even mention the great music that came out of Chess...Most mention Chicago, Smashing PumPkins, R-Kelley and Cheap Trick...this shit is children's music to me, compared to all the great music that Chess pumped out for all those years...As you are aware of Wolf - Willie Dixon - Muddy Waters - Jimmy Reed didn't just stroll in and record a few tracks they lived on the south side and in the suburbs for many years...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-30 22:14 by 2120Wolf.

Date: December 30, 2016 22:18

2120Wolf
filstan
keefriffhard4life

willie dixon
hubert dumlin
little walter
jimmy rogers
buddy guy
fred below

chess had a sound just like muscle shoals had a sound. if mick jagger moved to l.a. and teamed up with the best players there to back him that doesn't make mick jagger the best band from l.a....If he would have moved there when he was 20 years old, the same age as the bluesman moving to Chicago and living there for over 30 years....Yes maybe

Along with the key guys at Chess "No Doubt I Agree"....and don't forget Curtis Mayfield. My only point was that when the majority of people in my hometown (Chicago) discuss who the top bands are that came out of the city...99 out of 100 don't even mention the great music that came out of Chess...Most mention Chicago, Smashing PumPkins, R-Kelley and Cheap Trick...this shit is children's music to me, compared to all the great music that Chess pumped out for all those years...As you are aware of Wolf - Willie Dixon - Muddy Waters - Jimmy Reed didn't just stroll in and record a few tracks they lived on the south side and in the suburbs for many years...

Date: December 30, 2016 22:22

2120Wolf
2120Wolf
filstan
keefriffhard4life

willie dixon
hubert dumlin
little walter
jimmy rogers
buddy guy
fred below

chess had a sound just like muscle shoals had a sound. if mick jagger moved to l.a. and teamed up with the best players there to back him that doesn't make mick jagger the best band from l.a....

2120WOLF:
If Mick would have moved there when he was 20 years old, the same age as the bluesman moving to Chicago and living there for over 30 years....Yes maybe, why not ????

Date: December 30, 2016 23:47

How did the band Chicago get 4 pages on IORR? Keith's black Tele only 2 pages... jus sayin

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2016 00:16

Not all were born there, but I suppose the 1985 Chicago Bears could qualify as a 'musical' group from Chicago.

Chicago Bears - Super Bowl Shuffle (1985)

Date: December 31, 2016 03:43

2120Wolf
filstan
keefriffhard4life

willie dixon
hubert dumlin
little walter
jimmy rogers
buddy guy
fred below

childrens music lol. so jimi hendrix was an idiot who stated kath was a massive talent for no reason? blues is one of the most simplistic music forms there is

Date: December 31, 2016 03:58

keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
filstan
keefriffhard4life

willie dixon
hubert dumlin
little walter
jimmy rogers
buddy guy
fred below

childrens music lol. so jimi hendrix was an idiot who stated kath was a massive talent for no reason? blues is one of the most simplistic music forms there is

Man can't say enough about Jimi !!!
But checking out at 27 does not make him all that brilliant either.
Yes...Childrens music...about 3 minutes of it and it is time to switch it up.
Boring as @#$%& and No Juice...(for me anyway).

Date: January 2, 2017 06:28

kovach
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
kovach

Didn't mean to offend anyone, but that's like disqualifying Elvis from a Memphis list because he's from Tupelo. Or Tina Turner from a St. Louis list because she's from Nutbush. For all practical purposes they made they're largest impacts from their adopted cities.

Ok, maybe I was wrong, watching the special now, Terry Kath is seen wearing a St. Louis Blues hockey jersey. Nobody from Chicago would ever be caught wearing that.

I live in St. Louis, so that was a bit of a proud moment to see that. smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home