Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT : Why Does CNN Keep Hyping Documentary About CHICAGO, the band ?
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 20, 2016 00:36

stonehearted
Cooltoplady
They the 6th highest record seller of all American bands in the USA at 39 million.
But also in the USA, the #3 rated of The Best Bread Brands is Wonder Bread.

*Because the better bread is more expensive. Also why fast food sells a lot-
cheap food. You thought England had the class system? Sorry, I digress.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 20, 2016 00:40

Hairball: You cannot make fun of me singing 'Does Anybody Know What Time'
when you wrote (quote from Hairball below)
"I even like the sappy If You Leave Me Now occasionally - chalk it up as a guilty pleasure."

Oh no you didn't. Nooooo. No.
LMAO!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 20, 2016 00:42

latebloomer
My brother shared this with me cause he loves Chicago. He told me that he read that Jimi Hendrix said Terry Kath was a better guitarist than him. I don't know if Hendrix really said that, but I don't think this isn't half bad.

[youtu.be]

Yes, I have heard that story too? Not sure it's fact though...

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 20, 2016 01:24

"I'm a pretty good guitarist, but that cat blows me away."
-- Jimi Hendrix, on Terry Kath

[www.youtube.com]

plus, if you hate cowbell, then you hate rock 'n' roll

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 01:34

CNN can be monotonous. However, their international shows are top notch, as is their weekend political shows. Fared Zakarri is fantastic!

Chicago started with some amazing stuff. I mean who in their right mind releases their first three albums as double albums! That is hard ass and hard core! And all new material on all three albums. Then their fourth album as a four album live set. This was my first concert in 1972 at Pine Knob in Michigan. My folks took me, we had like third row, and it blew my mind. Full on horn setion, great harmonies, and great rhythm section. Terry Kath as a fantastically talented guitarist, singer, and pianist.

They unfortunately, after his death, plummeted into MOR commercial quest. With Peter Settera heralding in a long string of sacherine surypie load of pap.

Having said that, the documentary would be interesting, I missed it and will try to see if they replay it and DVR it.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 20, 2016 01:51

sundevil

[www.youtube.com]

There seems to be a lot of 'quotes' by Hendrix that can't be proven so take it with a grain of salt.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: December 20, 2016 02:21

Can't wait for CNN's special on Boston.
Most overplayed band of all-time and I still can't name any of the members.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: December 20, 2016 05:27

CNN is showing this because the band Chicago sucks so much that they want the world to know it...I am from Chicago and have never liked them...If you ask 100 people from Chicago, Who is the best band from Chicago 99 will either say Chicago, The Smashing Pumpkins or RKelly...Very few people will mention Wolf...Muddy...Willie Dixon...Jimmie Reed...Little Walter or the rest of the great bluesman...F'ing Pathetic...

Date: December 20, 2016 05:32

Chester
Can't wait for CNN's special on Boston.
Most overplayed band of all-time and I still can't name any of the members.

That is because there were no members to this shit...It was one guy recording this crap in his basement.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 05:56

If I was in the car and White Wedding came on the radio, I would listen to it. If they played some Chicago song, would I change the dial? Or maybe the Doobies…because aren’t they the same band? I don’t know. Rebel Yell; Dancing With Myself; Mony Mony; Cradle Of Love; yes, even Eyes Without A Face, I would listen to all those songs if they were on the radio. Yet Billy Idol doesn’t have his own CNN special.

Date: December 20, 2016 06:39

2120Wolf
CNN is showing this because the band Chicago sucks so much that they want the world to know it...I am from Chicago and have never liked them...If you ask 100 people from Chicago, Who is the best band from Chicago 99 will either say Chicago, The Smashing Pumpkins or RKelly...Very few people will mention Wolf...Muddy...Willie Dixon...Jimmie Reed...Little Walter or the rest of the great bluesman...F'ing Pathetic...

your post is confusing. since when are solo artists bands? a lot of the blues artists you named aren't even from Chicago or even Illinois so why would they get named

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 20, 2016 08:24

[www.youtube.com]

Chicago live, 1972. Dialog part 1 and 2 at Arie Crown Theater. Recording isn't the greatest but it is my favorite Chicago tune.

Studio version:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 08:30 by Long John Stoner.

Re: OT : Chicago, the band
Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 20, 2016 10:12

America's answer to Blood, Sweat, & Tears. With more harmonies and minus David Clayton Thomas.

Date: December 20, 2016 10:22

marianna
America's answer to Blood, Sweat, & Tears. With more harmonies and minus David Clayton Thomas.

huh? blood, sweat and tears was an American band that had a member from the uk at one point.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 20, 2016 15:46

I never cared for Chicago, their early stuff is complicated weird proggy fusion, then they turned into a schmaltzy ballad-band which is even more awful.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: December 21, 2016 01:03

I thinking CNN can go from Chicago to Boston and then Kansas.
There's another band that pretty much blows.

Date: December 21, 2016 01:20

Anyone doubting Terry Kath's guitar playing ability or Chicago's rock credentials in general needs to check out this gem from the first album:

[youtu.be]

Especially from 0:45 - 4:45.

Date: December 21, 2016 01:33

kovach
Anyone doubting Terry Kath's guitar playing ability or Chicago's rock credentials in general needs to check out this gem from the first album:

[youtu.be]

i wouldn't even waste my breath. this thread shows what people know and don't know

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 21, 2016 03:43

keefriffhard4life
kovach

[youtu.be]

i wouldn't even waste my breath. this thread shows what people know and don't know

Exactly. Chicago started out as a pretty hip, ground breaking band. They had the balls to try and make their way playing music they wanted to play and that they wrote, not an easy thing to do by any stretch of the imagination. They had some very good to great musicians (yes, Kath during his time was often mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix) and good, distinctive multiple lead singers.

However, they also had some prickly and weird personalities in the group. They were never quite the same once Kath accidentally killed himself and they replaced him with ordinary players. Robert Lamm and James Pankow asserted more control and lead the group in denying Peter Cetera a solo album when the chance arose. He left, they replace him with more vanilla and then they fire the drummer, Danny Seraphine, one of the most stupefying moves ever made by a major band. They've had a succession of "guys" and journeymen ever since.

Cetera morphed into a narcissistic performer without a real reason and Seraphine went solo and makes a good living off royalties, endorsements and playing in sessions and side bands. The really unfortunate thing is if Cetera would lose the rocks in his head and the rest of the band could find it in themselves to take back Seraphine, this could still be the Chicago from 1972, just minus Kath. But no, it's the intact horn section front and center with Lamm playing some weird shoulder-strapped keyboard all the time. Ah, what used to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-21 07:39 by Long John Stoner.

Date: December 21, 2016 03:55

can cetera sing anymore?

Date: December 21, 2016 05:02

keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf

your post is confusing. since when are solo artists bands? a lot of the blues artists you named aren't even from Chicago or even Illinois so why would they get named

4-Life...What a bummer...To be that Confused are you also Dazed ???
Knock...Knock is anybody in there ???

Date: December 21, 2016 06:32

2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf

well no I'm fine. your post says "ask anyone who the best band from Chicago is" and then you mention individuals. of course no one will say muddy waters. he isn't a band and is from Mississippi. little walter is from Louisiana. willie Dixon also from Mississippi. where you become famous doesn't mean that you are then from that said. these guys were still born in the south.

the smashing pumpkins are actually a band that formed in Chicago with 3 members from that state. Chicago is a band and formed there and a majority of the original guys are from Illinois. styx is also a band formed in Chicago and I believe the entire original lineup was born in Illinois.

why do you want solo artists from other states counted as a band from Chicago?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-21 06:35 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: December 21, 2016 16:45

Long John Stoner
keefriffhard4life
kovach

[youtu.be]

Exactly. Chicago started out as a pretty hip, ground breaking band. They had the balls to try and make their way playing music they wanted to play and that they wrote, not an easy thing to do by any stretch of the imagination. They had some very good to great musicians (yes, Kath during his time was often mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix) and good, distinctive multiple lead singers.

However, they also had some prickly and weird personalities in the group. They were never quite the same once Kath accidentally killed himself and they replaced him with ordinary players. Robert Lamm and James Pankow asserted more control and lead the group in denying Peter Cetera a solo album when the chance arose. He left, they replace him with more vanilla and then they fire the drummer, Danny Seraphine, one of the most stupefying moves ever made by a major band. They've had a succession of "guys" and journeymen ever since.

Cetera morphed into a narcissistic performer without a real reason and Seraphine went solo and makes a good living off royalties, endorsements and playing in sessions and side bands. The really unfortunate thing is if Cetera would lose the rocks in his head and the rest of the band could find it in themselves to take back Seraphine, this could still be the Chicago from 1972, just minus Kath. But no, it's the intact horn section front and center with Lamm playing some weird shoulder-strapped keyboard all the time. Ah, what used to be.

No disagreement here...I have zero albums from the post Kath era.

And I hate that keyboard. smileys with beer

Seraphine did join them in their R&R HOF induction. And I will say his speech was a bit annoying so maybe he's difficult, not sure; the rest of the band kind of looked embarrassed by it.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 21, 2016 17:34

keefriffhard4life
can cetera sing anymore?

He hasn't been with the band in over 20 years. I have seen him in concert and yes he can still sing.

Re: OT : Chicago, the band ... on CNN
Posted by: blackadder ()
Date: December 21, 2016 21:15

This Band was amazing with Terry Kath. The first 8 albums are great. It became awful when Kath died and Cetera became the leader. Most people only know 'If you leave me Now, which is a total different song than their first albums.Terry Kath is superb. The Horns section is superb. Lahm had a good voice and was a good keyboard player Cetera had a good voice and was a real excellent bass player in my opinion.
They were also an excellent live band. You should watch Now That You've Gone and Dialogue 1 and 2 at the Arie Crown Theatre in 1972. That's different shit than If You Leave Me Now

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 21, 2016 22:12

blackadder
This Band was amazing with Terry Kath. The first 8 albums are great. It became awful when Kath died and Cetera became the leader. Most people only know 'If you leave me Now, which is a total different song than their first albums.Terry Kath is superb. The Horns section is superb. Lahm had a good voice and was a good keyboard player Cetera had a good voice and was a real excellent bass player in my opinion.
They were also an excellent live band. You should watch Now That You've Gone and Dialogue 1 and 2 at the Arie Crown Theatre in 1972. That's different shit than If You Leave Me Now

Thank you.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 21, 2016 22:13

First album is a masterpiece (imo). Very fresh and innovative for the times. Subsequent albums were good to a point, then they morphed into the Peter Cetera pop orchestra.

All of the kudos for Terry Kath are spot on! Great guitarist, sad story.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 22, 2016 00:53

kovach
sundevil

[www.youtube.com]

There seems to be a lot of 'quotes' by Hendrix that can't be proven so take it with a grain of salt.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I asked Stonesrule about Kath and this quote by Hendrix in a past thread and she confirmed it. That's good enough for me.

I only hate the cowbell when I hear 8 or 9 songs into a show.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 22, 2016 02:13

blackadder

Agree on all counts...here's Dialogue from the Arie Crown in '72:

video: [youtu.be]

Date: December 22, 2016 03:16

keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf
keefriffhard4life
2120Wolf

well no I'm fine. your post says "ask anyone who the best band from Chicago is" and then you mention individuals. of course no one will say muddy waters. he isn't a band and is from Mississippi. little walter is from Louisiana. willie Dixon also from Mississippi. where you become famous doesn't mean that you are then from that said. these guys were still born in the south.

the smashing pumpkins are actually a band that formed in Chicago with 3 members from that state. Chicago is a band and formed there and a majority of the original guys are from Illinois. styx is also a band formed in Chicago and I believe the entire original lineup was born in Illinois.

why do you want solo artists from other states counted as a band from Chicago?

Sounds like the deeper you go...The more confused you become ???

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home