Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: new deep purple single
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 3, 2017 20:40

I saw them yesterday in Amsterdam, in the great Ziggo Dome, which is a good Arena.
Was standing front of stage, which helped me catch a guitar pick from Roger Glover.
Now, for those who don't want to spoil their surprise, stop reading here.
For those interested, it was a great show, with a setlist consisting of four songs from
the new album, I think about four classics from the Made in Japan album, some latterday
"hits" and some surprises, like Fireball and Uncommon Man.

Ian Gillan was, from where I was standing, too close to the stage to here the PA, mostly
getting sound from the monitors, hardly to be heard. During the first songs he seemed a
bit unsure, but during Strange Kind of Woman (I think 4th song) he did a good battle with
Steve on his guitar.
The others were very professionally playing, but what was most impressive to me, was
to see what a joy they had playing in front of an audience. Especially Steve was smiling
throughout the show, and Roger was amusing himself a lot in his own area of the stage.
This enthusiasm reflected on the crowd, and the crowd gave their energy back, to make
it a very good show. One thing I could do without was an endless solo from Don Airey,
who thought it was a favor to the Amsterdam crowd to play a bit of "Tulips from Amsterdam".
But that might have something to do with me being born in Rotterdam...

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 3, 2017 20:51

Thanks for the feedback, was it full ? Looks like I won't be making it after all, the GA ticket I had lined up fizzled out in the end and with the rain it wasn't too tempting to go stand in the queue...I'll stick with my memories from 1996 and 2013 !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-03 20:52 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 29, 2017 16:13

Fourth single from their new album here:

[www.youtube.com]

I don`t like the prog bit. It sounds like a transportation phase up and down the fretboard. -No melody.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 29, 2017 16:21

I prefer Birds of Prey myself. A lot of people love this song and the video is very cool.

Date: October 29, 2017 19:03

"Birds of Prey" is great. It`s a good album, more even in style than the previous one. Every song has something to give, even "Johnny`s Band". Last time I even found myself enjoying their take on "Roadhouse Blues". I love the deep organ sound at the bottom of every song. Considering "Hip Boots", "One Night in Vegas", "Get Me Outta Here" and "On Top of The World", there`s a certain blues feel that makes me thing that they`re not great songsmiths, but boy they`re great craftsmen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2017 19:09

Nice interview with the late great Jon Lord from 1989.
("Modern Keyboard" by Joe Lalaina).

Jon Lord’s PURPLE REIGN

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 30, 2017 10:44

Got my tickets for Birmingham. Looking forward to support from Europe too. A rockin night sure to be had

\m/

Date: October 30, 2017 10:46

marcovandereijk
I saw them yesterday in Amsterdam, in the great Ziggo Dome, which is a good Arena.
Was standing front of stage, which helped me catch a guitar pick from Roger Glover.
Now, for those who don't want to spoil their surprise, stop reading here.
For those interested, it was a great show, with a setlist consisting of four songs from
the new album, I think about four classics from the Made in Japan album, some latterday
"hits" and some surprises, like Fireball and Uncommon Man.

Ian Gillan was, from where I was standing, too close to the stage to here the PA, mostly
getting sound from the monitors, hardly to be heard. During the first songs he seemed a
bit unsure, but during Strange Kind of Woman (I think 4th song) he did a good battle with
Steve on his guitar.
The others were very professionally playing, but what was most impressive to me, was
to see what a joy they had playing in front of an audience. Especially Steve was smiling
throughout the show, and Roger was amusing himself a lot in his own area of the stage.
This enthusiasm reflected on the crowd, and the crowd gave their energy back, to make
it a very good show. One thing I could do without was an endless solo from Don Airey,
who thought it was a favor to the Amsterdam crowd to play a bit of "Tulips from Amsterdam".
But that might have something to do with me being born in Rotterdam...

thumbs up

Looking forward to the Oslo-show in November!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 30, 2017 21:19

Steve Morse seems to have a permanent smile on his face...his love for guitar playing is infectious. I read that he even had a miniature guitar rig in his car attached to the wheel so that he could practice scales while driving.

Date: October 30, 2017 23:46

This coming from a Ritchie fan who I consider the greatest after Jimi and Jimmy Page. Steve Morse is a gift to Deep Purple and it's fans. Thanks to him and I hope everybody will enjoy the concerts.

Date: November 1, 2017 01:58

Steve Morse is a great guitarist. But from Blackmore and Lord both, you got this weird hybrid of 60's London Blues combined with a Classical influence. It came out in their writing. That to me was the asset that can't be repeated.
Lazy, Pictures of Home, Never before, Strange Kind of Woman, Burn, Highway Star all have incredible melodies - not just in the vocals but in the solo sections.
That btw is the beauty of Mick Taylor's solos too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2017 02:06

Agree Palace Revolution 2000 - Morse is a great guitarist, but the overall vibe of the new music (and overall sound) lacks in a certain chemistry and creativity.
Without Blackmore and Lord, it's merely a close facsimile. Not knocking those who still enjoy them, and don't want to get in a debate about it all, but for me they're nowhere near the band they once were.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 1, 2017 02:10

Agree with both of you as well. Not really a new Purple vs old Purple thing. Just that their classic music, in all their different eras which are all really good, up through the reunion with Perfect Strangers has something that it doesn't today. And thats only natural, and also probably not something that can be done in this day and age. Meaning it might be better to take that slightly more generic route just to stay relevant than try and top their older classic material.

Its cool they are still around and have a decent amount of original members left. But yeah, nothing will come close to classic Purple and classic Purple is SO good. As mentioned, its hard for me to pull the trigger seeing them without Blackmore, and I'm a big fan of Steve Morse, as well as Jon Lord who really was the unsung backbone of that band.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 1, 2017 04:33

No one can compete with Blackmore and Lord. That was an unparalleled musical combo and one of the greatest partnerships in rock history. Of course the rest of the band was fantastic too, especially the Mark II and III lineups (the Glenn Hughes/David Coverdale years are fantastic).

Date: November 1, 2017 17:08

Palace Revolution 2000
Steve Morse is a great guitarist. But from Blackmore and Lord both, you got this weird hybrid of 60's London Blues combined with a Classical influence. It came out in their writing. That to me was the asset that can't be repeated.
Lazy, Pictures of Home, Never before, Strange Kind of Woman, Burn, Highway Star all have incredible melodies - not just in the vocals but in the solo sections.
That btw is the beauty of Mick Taylor's solos too.

agreed

Date: November 16, 2017 12:51

DandelionPowderman

Heya Dandee, how was the Oslo-show?

Date: November 16, 2017 13:06

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

The show was excellent! A good mix of new stuff and the classics. No Child In Time or Highway Star, though, and perhaps wisely so.

Gillan was the big surprise. He actually sang well. It was Morse that couldn't quite keep up with the tremendous energy. Don Airey was fantastic.

IMO, Morse doesn't fit as a lead guitar player in DP.

But the show was awesome thumbs up

Date: November 16, 2017 14:09

DandelionPowderman

Great to know you had a good time with the band.
I am not sure I agree with your opinion on Morse though. I like the "funkyness" he brings
to the band.

Date: November 16, 2017 16:07

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 16:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 16, 2017 16:28

DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

The show was excellent! A good mix of new stuff and the classics. No Child In Time or Highway Star, though, and perhaps wisely so.

Gillan was the big surprise. He actually sang well. It was Morse that couldn't quite keep up with the tremendous energy. Don Airey was fantastic.

Great, thanks DP! They'll play in Brazil next month and I might go. Let's see what happens.

Date: November 16, 2017 17:06

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

Great, thanks DP! They'll play in Brazil next month and I might go. Let's see what happens.

Go and cath them if you can, Cristiano! It's definitely worth it thumbs up

Date: November 16, 2017 17:23

DandelionPowderman
Go and cath them if you can, Cristiano! It's definitely worth it

Agreed fullheartedly (if that's a word in English).

Date: November 16, 2017 17:51

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman
Go and cath them if you can, Cristiano! It's definitely worth it

Agreed fullheartedly (if that's a word in English).

Thanks, guys! thumbs up I already saw them 3 and a 1/2 times (the first time I saw them I arrived late and could only watch the second half of the concert grinning smiley). Some of my friends invited me to travel with them to the festival site, where Deep Purple will play with Tesla and Cheap Trick, some 750km from where I live. It will be at least a fun travel.

Date: November 19, 2017 18:03

Date: November 19, 2017 19:48

I really dig their last album. It`s a "listener`s album". Do their 70s high energy songs still give me the same excitement? -Not really. Their last album i deeper. "Hip Boots" is no less than a "Black Dog" for our times. They do stuff that Robert Plant never would have done these days. Ah, maybe it`s just that old school arrangement/production...

Date: November 19, 2017 20:12

Thanks for posting the video. I was at Alice Cooper that night instead, plus I couldn't get in because I'm not a UK resident. Saw some of it on the BBC in our room later that night though. Funny to see Ian made a mistake during All I Got Is You, good recovery on his part and a look on Roger's face. They must of felt a lot of pressure that night trying to make things right. Now I'll watch the rest to see how they did.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 20, 2020 16:11

And yet another new single by DP, pretty good too. I wonder what Mick and Keith think when everyone and their dog is releasing new music and they just don't give a toss and are seemingly only interested in getting the highest possible gross when they tour ? And what are they going to do now that these days are over for the foreseeable future ?

[youtu.be]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-22 00:56 by gotdablouse.

Date: March 20, 2020 17:34

new song sounds pretty good

Date: March 20, 2020 21:54

I want to love the new song but so far I can't. Hope it will grow on me. Lyrics and Ian Gillan are my favorite points so far.

Date: March 21, 2020 17:11

-Hmm, remarkable. That was not bad at all. Thanks for posting. It sure is a move from the Purple of the early 70s. All the same, I`m impressed. I knew there was an new LP coming, but I really didn`t know what to think. Their last album has paled a bit, I must say. The weaknesses are more clearly showing. Even Birds of Prey seems to have a little weak musical idea. -And doesn`t the guitar solo of that song remind a bit too much of the Mick Ronson solo on David Bowie`s Moonage Daydream?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home