Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: new deep purple single
Date: April 7, 2017 16:48

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman
After a few spins of Infinite (released today!), I'm impressed. This is a very good rock album.

Good writing, playing and production. Gillan is pretty good, too smiling smiley

I like this one better than their 80s albums thumbs up

Thanks for the first "review". I'll have to buy it yet, but got myself tickets for the
show in Amsterdam this june. Mostly out of curiosity, but they're a bunch of nice guys
and good musians, so what can go wrong?

(Well not enough lady fans around, that can go wrong, I am afraid).

I'll see them (for the first time) in Oslo in November thumbs up

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 8, 2017 18:44

Did ya buy the LP or the CD?

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 8, 2017 18:51

I bought the CD+DVD(90min documentary) + t-shirt edition, it costs around 27 euro. I've yet to hear it.

You can't go wrong with Steve Morse. As much as I admire Blackmore, I also admire the technical brilliance, unique sound and killer tone of Steve Morse. Saw them last year and it was not in any way life changing or euphoric but still a nice evening and way better than almost any concert you'll see these days.

Date: April 8, 2017 18:54

noughties
Did ya buy the LP or the CD?

The LP/DVD-set (219 NOK).

It plays on 45 rpm, BTW..

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: April 9, 2017 01:23

very good album, rock on deep purple

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 11, 2017 18:05

Got the album with DVD. Watched about 12 minutes of the DVD and, man, do I wish the Stones
published something like that! The band jamming in the studio, with Bob Ezrin pulling
strings. Love it.

Album needs a few more spins before I can comment on it.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 11, 2017 21:25

I'm still digesting it too. A little early for me, maybe this is a good sign.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: April 11, 2017 22:14

keefriffhard4life
Koen
Who plays in Deep Purple these days?

paice, gillan, glover, morse, don airey.

so 3 guys who were there at the bands height of fame, morse who has been there over 20 years and airey who played with blackmore in rainbow in the 70's. just as legit as deep purple for me as the lineup that did the album BURN

Interestingly enough, when Deep Purple was conceived and initially they were to be called Roundabout, the plan was to have a cast of rotating musicians and not a permanent lineup so they have pretty much lived up to that concept!

Date: April 12, 2017 00:59

I´ve just ordered my vinyl. I heard some very short snippets of "One Night in Vegas" and "Get me Outta Here" on the net. -Sounded great.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2017 01:05

Shantipole
keefriffhard4life
Koen
Who plays in Deep Purple these days?

paice, gillan, glover, morse, don airey.

so 3 guys who were there at the bands height of fame, morse who has been there over 20 years and airey who played with blackmore in rainbow in the 70's. just as legit as deep purple for me as the lineup that did the album BURN

Interestingly enough, when Deep Purple was conceived and initially they were to be called Roundabout, the plan was to have a cast of rotating musicians and not a permanent lineup so they have pretty much lived up to that concept!

Sadly though, two of the most important and innovative musicians are not with them any more (IMO)- Blackmore and Lord.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 12, 2017 15:25

Got Tickets for Purple with Europe supporting at the Brum NEC at the end of the year. Front row tickets as well. Never had them in my life!

Looking forward to it.

Gonna get my Rawks orf!

\m/cool smiley\m/

Date: April 12, 2017 18:27

Hairball -If I may impose my opinion on you and others. I too am a big fan/advocate of Blackmore and Lord. And completely agree about their influence and importance in the band. Even still and it's damn hard to do sometimes I put all this aside and give the 2 new guys a chance. For me this has paid off as they are both great players in their own right. Also, it's a great band these days. Give them a chance. If not you're short changing yourself in my opinion. Also I would like to add Ritchie is in my top 3 favorite guitar players. Plus Jon Lord is my favorite Keyboard Player period. Believe me I feel you!

Date: April 12, 2017 18:53

frankotero
Hairball -If I may impose my opinion on you and others. I too am a big fan/advocate of Blackmore and Lord. And completely agree about their influence and importance in the band. Even still and it's damn hard to do sometimes I put all this aside and give the 2 new guys a chance. For me this has paid off as they are both great players in their own right. Also, it's a great band these days. Give them a chance. If not you're short changing yourself in my opinion. Also I would like to add Ritchie is in my top 3 favorite guitar players. Plus Jon Lord is my favorite Keyboard Player period. Believe me I feel you!

+ they released great stuff with the Mark III and IV lineups.

I love Blackmore as well.

Date: April 12, 2017 19:16

DandelionPowderman
frankotero

+ they released great stuff with the Mark III and IV lineups.

I love Blackmore as well.

Yes Dandelion, but must be noted that both Blackmore and Lord were both still in Deep Purple for the Mk III lineup! The album Burn is great, and the title track itself is a tour de force of unrelentless virtuosity - it's in my top 10 DP tracks. As for Mk IV, Lord was still in yet Blackmore was replaced by a worthy Tommy Bolin - a GREAT guitar player indeed, and there are some great tunes on 'Come Taste the Band', yet the album as a whole seemed a bit lacking in the overall quality department imo.

To frankotero - your opinion is respected - thanks for the pep talk. smileys with beer

After Hendrix (who will always be my favorite guitar player), Blackmore was my next favorite for a long spell back in the day - he's still in my all time top 5. I was fortunate to see the DP Perfect Strangers reunion tour and was blown away by the volume and intensity of it all. I know there has been some interesting 'DP' stuff released without Blackmore and Lord, yet sometimes it seems it's a bit too far and in between. Have to say it almost feels sacrilege without Blackmore (and Lord), yet I know many still like them whoever is in the band these days.

Date: April 13, 2017 13:37

After a few spins, I must say it's a very exciting album. Not every song is highly remarkable,
but there are some real great parts that make me want to listen again and again.
Ian Gillan found melodies that suite his older voice and he does not have to use his
"twang" that much, like he had to on Banana's for example. I guess our Mick could learn
a lesson from that.

Paice's drumming is really lose and spacious. Here's not your average hard rock power
house, but a charming swinger, making me wanna dance instead of head banging.

And the duo Morse and Airey are creative and inventive players without too much ego
to stand in the way of a good song. I think Bob Ezrin did a good production job too,
having these musicians supporting the song, and not making the songs a vehicle to
showcase their capabilities.

Date: April 15, 2017 15:50

The new album straight into no. 3 in the Norwegian charts (No. 6 in the UK):

[lista.vg.no]

Date: April 18, 2017 11:26

The album is great, not just good, imo.

It would have been perfect without the unnecesary cover of Roadhouse Blues, though. Even the Status Quo-version blows this one out of the water.

I'm enjoying the songs, the sound, the playing and even Gillan's voice a lot. Well done!

Date: April 18, 2017 11:32

A friend of mine and me agree that Roadhouse Blues should have been replaced with Paradise Bar. Otherwise it's great, although I wish there was more great solos like on Birds of Prey, then it would have been an epic album.

Date: April 18, 2017 14:15

-Topping the charts in Germany:

[www.all-in.de]

Date: April 19, 2017 12:30

Good news and well deserved.

Date: April 28, 2017 10:20

Found the time to watch the DVD. Did I notice correctly they refer to the weaving at
a certain point, listening to their recorded sessions? "That's a bit of Ron Wood/Keith Richards
kind of exchanging rythms" or something like that? At least they seemed to like it.

Date: April 28, 2017 17:04

-Finally a review from a major Norwegian newspaper, in addition to all those heavy metal sites, five out of six points:

[www.dagbladet.no]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2017 21:06

So has anyone caught them live ? They're playing Bercy tomorrow evening, might give it a shot as it seems it's not exactly sold out (they'd been playing the smaller capacity Zenith since, hum 1991...wonder whether that one with JLT was sold out!). I'm in two minds about it though because I have good memories of the 2013 show, but then how many more times are they gonna come through town...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 2, 2017 21:25

Will see them in November.

Date: June 2, 2017 21:42

They're just as good as they've been in the last years. Saw them in Luxembourg, and going to Frankfurt next week too. If you're at all interested I believe it's worth seeing them.

Date: June 2, 2017 22:42

Ritchie Blackmore has recorded a couple of tunes with Rainbow ( a new one and remake), and will carry on playing live shows.
I also read recently where he said he wouldn't be against playing with Deep Purple again some day. Hope it happens, but doubt it will and certainly not holding my breath.

Date: June 2, 2017 22:57

-Funny that this thread should pop up. I was searching for it today, but it looked like BV had deleted it. I was going to post what will be the third single from their latest album. Here it is:

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 2, 2017 23:44

I saw Deep Purple in the late 90's.
I am pretty sure that Lord was still there and Morse was on guitar.
I remember a good rock show but I do not have much more memories in fact.

Date: June 3, 2017 02:07

Nah, did I really have to put "OT:" in front of it? (in the search engine)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-03 15:13 by noughties.

Date: June 3, 2017 03:13

this new album is string but imo not as good as as NOW WHAT

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home