Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
OT: new deep purple single
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 18, 2016 15:56

Huh, anybody heard this?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: new deep purple single
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 18, 2016 16:10

That is an awful song. So dated. Sounds like Spinal Tap

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 18, 2016 16:28

More "prog" than rock unfortunately...reminds me of Pictures of Home and The Spanish Archer

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 18, 2016 16:38

sounds like deep purple to me

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 18, 2016 16:50

noughties
Huh, anybody heard this?

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks noughties, I appreciate you posting this.
I had not heard from good ole DP for a while.

Published on Dec 14, 2016

Deep Purple reveal title, release date and first song from their new album “inFinite”, the highly anticipated follow up to their most recent worldwide chart topping album “NOW What?!”.

“inFinite” will be released on April 7th by earMUSIC.
“Time For Bedlam”, an up-tempo classic Deep Purple song, has just been made available

A documentary movie, witnessing the songwriting process and the recording of the album with producer Bob Ezrin, has been produced, allowing for the first time for the fans to be part of the private band member interactions in the studio.
The movie will be included in some editions of the album and it will be presented before release in various fan events worldwide.

Deep Purple have recently announced their “Long Goodbye Tour”, which will bring the legendary live show once again all over the world.

Deep Purple have not yet answered, in fact, the many questions received by fans from all over the world who are speculating about the meaning of the title “inFinite” and "Long Goodbye".

Singer Ian Gillan has in fact declared:

“If you take it literally you may, quite reasonably, think the ‘Finite’ part of the word describes the life of Deep Purple, with a clear beginning and a nebulous end; but what of the ‘in’ bit? The word infinite is a three-dimensional double edged sword. It describes something that goes on forever in all directions; not unlike its temporal equivalent ‘Eternal’ What’s that all about?

www.deeppurple.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-18 16:53 by HankM.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 18, 2016 17:15

I like the song. Love the lyrics by the great Ian G.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2016 18:39

Without Ritchie Blackmore, Deep Purple is a mockery.
And without Jon Lord (and Ritchie), how can they even call themselves Deep Purple?

This sounds like something you'd hear on a scary carnival ride...'The Tunnel of Doom' or something.
Or a fictitious conceptual rock musical ...in the same league as Mr.Roboto by Styx.

Date: December 18, 2016 18:51

Hmm, the Ritchie thing. I miss him terribly and he's number 3 of my favorite guitar players. I'm inclined to say The Stones are a mockery without Brian or Mick Taylor. But then I think of all the love Ronnie gets and slamming towards Taylorites when they try to defend him or claim The Stones were greater during his tenure. Bottom line in music and art is "opinionative" we're allowed to like and did-like as we please, I hope so anyway. By the way Jon Lord okayed the induction of Don Airey. Matter of fact I think he might of played a part in making it happen. Don't quote me on that one though.

Date: December 18, 2016 19:58

Hairball
This sounds like something you'd hear on a scary carnival ride...'The Tunnel of Doom' or something.
Or a fictitious conceptual rock musical ...in the same league as Mr.Roboto by Styx.

Well, I had my objections, but I ain`t got too much references. What you write is exactly what my mind was hinting at. That, for sure, I don`t like. Likewise I find it highly dubious to make such bubble gum operas like "Vincent Price" from their "Now What?!" album. That aside, I think I like this new song, but the rest of the album has to be at least as good as this.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 18, 2016 20:06

I've only played on the computer so far. I'll play it on the "real, big" before I render judgement. It does sound kind of overwrought however.

Date: December 18, 2016 20:51

Hairball
And without Jon Lord (and Ritchie), how can they even call themselves Deep Purple?

blackmore doesn't want to do rock full time anymore and doesn't get along with gillan. what should gillan, glover and paice do? they want to make a living too. same as keith, mick and watts. thats about the exact same thing.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 18, 2016 21:08

keefriffhard4life
Hairball

blackmore doesn't want to do rock full time anymore and doesn't get along with gillan. what should gillan, glover and paice do? they want to make a living too. same as keith, mick and watts. thats about the exact same thing.
Listen to someliverecordinga and youll hear that the replacement guy who has now been there longer than blackmore is a different style but very very good too

Date: December 18, 2016 22:16

we all know steve morse is very good

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 18, 2016 22:22

Morse is very good. Saw them live several times over the year, and most recently (albeit a while ago!) for the Bananas tour in Singapore. This was one of Lord's last gigs, and they were great! This song? Not sure? Have to try again. First blush didn't grab me. Although reminds me a bit of Floyd something off Animals. As for Purple without Blackmore. They are fine without him. From all accounts he made things pretty miserable for the rest of the band. His guitar parts can be played without him fine. Lord was in the band up to his retirement due to health, so he had no problem touring as Purple without Blackmore!

Date: December 19, 2016 01:12

A limited-edition EP for "Time For Bedlam", with non-album songs and unreleased recordings, will hit the shops on February 3.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 19, 2016 02:23

for me at least no Blackmore and Lord means no Deep Purple but I have no issue with Gillan touring and calling the band Deep Purple...too each his own......

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 19, 2016 03:03

Who plays in Deep Purple these days?

Date: December 19, 2016 04:13

Koen

paice, gillan, glover, morse, don airey.

so 3 guys who were there at the bands height of fame, morse who has been there over 20 years and airey who played with blackmore in rainbow in the 70's. just as legit as deep purple for me as the lineup that did the album BURN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 19, 2016 14:50

I like it !

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 19, 2016 14:58

keefriffhard4life
Koen

so 3 guys who were there at the bands height of fame, morse who has been there over 20 years and airey who played with blackmore in rainbow in the 70's. just as legit as deep purple for me as the lineup that did the album BURN

Its legit, although like oldschool I basically see it as no Blackmore no Purple. And no Jon Lord either doesn't help although granted he's dead so there's no way around that and Airy is a more than worthy substitute. I just can't think of anything they've done worthwhile since Blackmore left.

Date: December 19, 2016 15:28

[www.youtube.com]

Steve Morse arranged it himself

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 19, 2016 21:11

RollingFreak
Its legit, although like oldschool I basically see it as no Blackmore no Purple. And no Jon Lord either doesn't help although granted he's dead so there's no way around that and Airy is a more than worthy substitute. I just can't think of anything they've done worthwhile since Blackmore left.

Some of the band's musical soul left with Blackmore, and they have done some dull songs since then, for sure, but also some good ones and they've really prospered as a good time progressive rock 'n' roll band who are having fun, entertaining their fans and upholding their own legacy. Morse is no Blackmore, but when you see them live you can really tell that Gillan and the others love him and that they have great chemistry in the band. Musically, I would say Gillan himself is the one who's having the hardest time keeping up with his younger self, but he's doing it gracefully too.

Their post-Blackmore albums have been hit and miss, but I like Bananas and I think Now What?! is probably their best LP since Perfect Strangers in '85.

I actually think they should have a go at some of the band's '73-75 songs as well, but I don't think Gillan is into that at all.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 19, 2016 22:12

On top of being a nutter Blackmore"s been useless when it comes to *DP Material" since PS and arguably THOTBL. He had free reign for S&M and it was horrible for the most part, except possibly for the MOR single. He again got free reign (and $2 million) to restart whatever he wanted and let Gillan back in. Who remembers the albums he put out before branching out in renaissance stuff?

Meanwhile DP came up with the great Purpendicular that probably saved the band. It's been up and down since of course...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 19, 2016 22:35

Blackmore reformed Rainbow with a bunch of musicians for some festival dates this past summer. The results were rather lackluster.

The singer, Ronnie Romero, is fantastic and can really nail Ronnie James Dio's cadence and timbre, but Blackmore's playing was subpar. Let's face it: he's 71 and has barely played rock music over the past 20-25 years.

DP is better off without him at this point. And that's not even going into his nastiness and egocentricity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-19 22:37 by keefriff99.

Date: December 20, 2016 00:00

keefriffhard4life
Koen

Sure but has any of the bands current music been as good as BURN? Not in my opinion. I would even take the Bolin "Come Taste the Band" over any of the Morse DP albums.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2016 00:04

keefriff99
Blackmore reformed Rainbow with a bunch of musicians for some festival dates this past summer. The results were rather lackluster.

The singer, Ronnie Romero, is fantastic and can really nail Ronnie James Dio's cadence and timbre, but Blackmore's playing was subpar. Let's face it: he's 71 and has barely played rock music over the past 20-25 years.

DP is better off without him at this point. And that's not even going into his nastiness and egocentricity.

I don't know about that keefriff99 - based on some of the videos I saw of the performance at the time he sounded pretty good to me, especially as he's barely played any rock music in awhile as you say. Hard to judge from videos alone, but will watch again as it's been awhile. As for Deep Purple being better off without him at this time I suppose you're right - they have Steve Morse. But what they don't have is the mastermind who invented all of the major guitar riffs that made them famous back when the band truly mattered. It's now a bit of a forgery, but happy that some people seem to find joy in it.

oldschool
keefriffhard4life
Koen

Sure but has any of the bands current music been as good as BURN? Not in my opinion. I would even take the Bolin "Come Taste the Band" over any of the Morse DP albums.

I agree with you there oldschool. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 00:07 by Hairball.

Date: December 20, 2016 00:13

gotdablouse
On top of being a nutter Blackmore"s been useless when it comes to *DP Material" since PS and arguably THOTBL. He had free reign for S&M and it was horrible for the most part, except possibly for the MOR single. He again got free reign (and $2 million) to restart whatever he wanted and let Gillan back in. Who remembers the albums he put out before branching out in renaissance stuff?

Meanwhile DP came up with the great Purpendicular that probably saved the band. It's been up and down since of course...

PS and THOBL were very good reunion albums IMHO. S&M was more like post Dio Rainbow if you like that kind of music and TBRO was mediocre but then again Blackmore really did not want to do that album or tours and in fact bailed on the band who had to enlist Joe Satriani to finish contract commitments I believe.

Listen I agree Blackmore is a arsehole and I don't blame Gillan for not wanting to work with him but he was the main song writer in the old DP so without him it is a much different band for sure. In any case I think not having Lord as well makes a huge difference as he challenged Blackmore to play his best and I think his contribution is sadly underappreciated.

I have seen the current DP with Morse and they put on a good show but having seen the Mk II band live and the 85 reunion tour it is hard for me to consider them as the real DP.

Date: December 20, 2016 08:08

Basically I agree with you Oldschool. The MKII line up is unbeatable to me as I suspect most DP Fans. However, minus physical appearance I notice no difference in organ playing between Jon Lord and Don Airey. No disrespect to Jon as I love his contribution and I believe he was great person. However, there's a quite noticeable difference between guitar players. In Steve's defense who wants to copy Ritchie, even if he could. He adds a new/different dimension to the music, sometimes not for the better but that's personal taste too. All things considered I'm happy DP continued after Ritchie left. There's been some great music in Purpendicular and Now What!? The other albums had highlights but not as great in my opinion. I'm loving this new song as it just seems to speak to me. That's when I enjoy music the most. Maybe other people feel the same? If this really is the end I hope Ritchie will at least be invited for the last gig, even if he played a few songs that would be something great. I sure do miss him. He's a virtuoso in my opinion. Maybe that's why he's a jerk? Ironically Steve has a very nice personality. Very friendly to meet. He talked my head off when I got his autograph. Everyone around us thought we were friends or something.

Date: December 20, 2016 15:13

Hairball
I don't know about that keefriff99 - based on some of the videos I saw of the performance at the time he sounded pretty good to me, especially as he's barely played any rock music in awhile as you say. Hard to judge from videos alone, but will watch again as it's been awhile. As for Deep Purple being better off without him at this time I suppose you're right - they have Steve Morse. But what they don't have is the mastermind who invented all of the major guitar riffs that made them famous back when the band truly mattered. It's now a bit of a forgery, but happy that some people seem to find joy in it.
Something just seemed off to his playing. Of course I didn't expect him to play like he was 30 again, but the whole reunion felt rushed and slapped together. As I said, aside from the terrific singer, the band didn't mesh.

Ritchie himself said he deals with some arthritis and muscle stiffness so he didn't expect to play like his old self. At least he was honest...and let's face it, the way he used to rip on the guitar was quite a bit more involved than what our dear Keith does, so imagine attempting to recreate those solos with arthritis.

Date: December 20, 2016 15:15

frankotero
Basically I agree with you Oldschool. The MKII line up is unbeatable to me as I suspect most DP Fans. However, minus physical appearance I notice no difference in organ playing between Jon Lord and Don Airey. No disrespect to Jon as I love his contribution and I believe he was great person. However, there's a quite noticeable difference between guitar players. In Steve's defense who wants to copy Ritchie, even if he could. He adds a new/different dimension to the music, sometimes not for the better but that's personal taste too. All things considered I'm happy DP continued after Ritchie left. There's been some great music in Purpendicular and Now What!? The other albums had highlights but not as great in my opinion. I'm loving this new song as it just seems to speak to me. That's when I enjoy music the most. Maybe other people feel the same? If this really is the end I hope Ritchie will at least be invited for the last gig, even if he played a few songs that would be something great. I sure do miss him. He's a virtuoso in my opinion. Maybe that's why he's a jerk? Ironically Steve has a very nice personality. Very friendly to meet. He talked my head off when I got his autograph. Everyone around us thought we were friends or something.
Steve seems like one of the nicest guys in the business. Every interview I've ever seen with him, he's smiling ear to ear the whole time. I'm not surprised he's super-friendly.

Airey has been around a LONG time, so he was a worthy successor to Lord in terms of playing. I don't think he's nearly as accomplished in terms of composing, but he can certainly hold his own.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home